PDA

View Full Version : What Will Kenny Do?

october23sp
07-09-2010, 05:37 PM
I was going to put this in What's the Score? But it isn't a rumor thread, Kenny will get someone. What will it be though?

An Elite Bat?
An Okay Bat?
A "What the Hell is he Thinking" Bat? (Griffey in 2008)

An Ace pitcher?
An Okay pitcher?
A long reliever?

I personally believe it will be an Okay bat, he doesn't want to sell the farm again when our team is playing pretty good without whatever we are going to get.

sox1970
07-09-2010, 05:38 PM
We're getting Adam Dunn.

Crede24Thome25
07-09-2010, 05:41 PM
An elite bat(Dunn) and okay pitcher(Sonnanstine)

Rockabilly
07-09-2010, 05:44 PM
Elite bat ( Fielder) Ok pitcher ( Westbrook)

TheVulture
07-09-2010, 05:46 PM
I wish he'd just dump Linebrink. Torres would be an easy upgrade in the pen. Let Hudson pitch and get a bat.

Pablo_Honey
07-09-2010, 05:51 PM
An elite bat has turnerd into a distant pipe dream with Peavy gone (meaning Hudson's untouchable) so hopefully he gets an okay bat like Laroche. I do get this weird hunch that he might go after a "What the Hell is He Thinking?" bat which will make everyone shudder. He probably won't pursue pitching if Torres/Marquez turns out to be decent as a long reliever but if they suck, then he will acquire an innings eater to come out of pen.

Rikirk
07-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Question is what do we absolutely, positively need right now.
Figure that out and run with it.

Crede24Thome25
07-09-2010, 06:49 PM
Question is what do we absolutely, positively need right now.
Figure that out and run with it.
Left handed bat.

khan
07-09-2010, 06:54 PM
He'd make a plan and he'd follow through,
'cause that's what Kenny Williams would do...

russ99
07-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Left handed hitter upgrade within 2 weeks. I don't think we have the goods for a Dunn or Fielder. Okay bat.

Wait on the starter until the deadline, gives Hudson 3-4 starts to show what he can do. If they move, Okay pitcher who can eat innings.

I can see the Sox dealing Jones at the deadline too.

There's no way Jerry will eat 2 years of Linebrink's salary this year. Maybe next spring. Sucks that we're paying so much for a mop-up guy, but that's how it goes. Sometimes you win in free agency, sometimes you lose. I thought the guy was better than this.

Tragg
07-09-2010, 08:23 PM
The injury to Peavy made 2 holes on this team, which reduced the chance of a big deal.

I appreciate what he tried to do with Peavy - try to get an ace (again). I really doubt he'll try again for an injury-prone Oswalt.

Getting an innings eater would be a waste. That's what Torres should be able to do.

We should be able to pick up a capable LH bat cheap. I think that's what he'll end up doing.

soxfanreggie
07-09-2010, 08:27 PM
I think we'll get an ok bat, hopefully a lefty, by the trade deadline. Then, we might acquire a pitcher by the waiver deadline if Hudson/other young pitcher is struggling.

Zisk77
07-09-2010, 10:40 PM
I'll guess Berkman...or Raul Ibanez (seems like a KW under the radar move).

And LH reliever Downs from Toronto.

soxinem1
07-09-2010, 11:54 PM
I'll guess Berkman...or Raul Ibanez (seems like a KW under the radar move).

And LH reliever Downs from Toronto.

Why would PHI trade Ibanez?

Plus, since SEA is in sell mode, I'll take Russ Branyan. Cheap, kills the ball for decent stretches of time, and he can play 1B, 3B, and even LF without embarassing himself, alsong with adding some major power to the DH slot.

GoSox2K3
07-09-2010, 11:59 PM
I think KW is still mainly looking for another bat. As far as pitching goes, he'll give Hudson a few starts before getting serious (if Hudson struggles) about looking for pitching help.

I have another question: If Andruw Jones is heating up again, Lillibridge his hitting well, and Viciedo keeps getting hits, then who goes when Teahen is back from the DL? I had been assuming that Jones was a roster move away from being DFA'd, but his bat seems to be coming alive again so maybe that won't happen.

soxinem1
07-10-2010, 12:09 AM
I think KW is still mainly looking for another bat. As far as pitching goes, he'll give Hudson a few starts before getting serious (if Hudson struggles) about looking for pitching help.

I have another question: If Andruw Jones is heating up again, Lillibridge his hitting well, and Viciedo keeps getting hits, then who goes when Teahen is back from the DL? I had been assuming that Jones was a roster move away from being DFA'd, but his bat seems to be coming alive again so maybe that won't happen.

Andruw is at least the second best defensive OF on the team and has returned to being an excellent baserunner.

I hope they keep him, especially if he is indeed hitting again.

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-10-2010, 12:14 AM
The LH bat was and still is the biggest need. There is a hole in that lineup still. If you can swap a decent LH hitter in the DH spot and get rid of that horrid Kotsay/Jones tandem, that lineup become pretty solid.

Zisk77
07-10-2010, 12:40 AM
Why would PHI trade Ibanez?

Plus, since SEA is in sell mode, I'll take Russ Branyan. Cheap, kills the ball for decent stretches of time, and he can play 1B, 3B, and even LF without embarassing himself, alsong with adding some major power to the DH slot.

It appeared in one of those experts blog that they rather trade Ibanez than Werth. I guess the money they save on Ibanez they can use to extend Werth.

Craig Grebeck
07-10-2010, 12:41 AM
Raul Ibanez is a terrible idea.

doublem23
07-10-2010, 12:43 AM

As long as he's an improvement over Jonesay, I'm all for it.

Craig Grebeck
07-10-2010, 12:48 AM
As long as he's an improvement over Jonesay, I'm all for it.
Check the contract, Dubs. It's a bad idea any way you slice it.

Ranger
07-10-2010, 09:16 AM
An elite bat has turnerd into a distant pipe dream with Peavy gone (meaning Hudson's untouchable) so hopefully he gets an okay bat like Laroche. I do get this weird hunch that he might go after a "What the Hell is He Thinking?" bat which will make everyone shudder. He probably won't pursue pitching if Torres/Marquez turns out to be decent as a long reliever but if they suck, then he will acquire an innings eater to come out of pen.

They don't really "go after" these kinds of players. When a team makes an acquisition like that, it's usually a last resort or it's based on what they realistically have available to trade. IF they don't have much, they can't get much.

BRDSR
07-10-2010, 10:04 AM
I agree that it'll probably be a bat, and I hope Kenny does it sooner rather than later. Would love to have another piece of the puzzle coming out of the All-Star Break. Too often those July 30th and 31st deals seem very one-sided in favor of the seller.

Dunn didn't do us any favors last night. Went to the Nats game and saw him hit two homers and miss another by 18 inches or so.

Zisk77
07-10-2010, 10:29 AM

Well he's no Randy Wynn...

Craig Grebeck
07-10-2010, 10:53 PM

Is there a point to this?

october23sp
07-11-2010, 02:29 PM
I don't want to **** around with Hudson, Kenny get us a 5th starter.

Craig Grebeck
07-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Who on the market makes any sense for us?

Tragg
07-11-2010, 04:18 PM
You won't get much more out of a "5th starter" than you will out of Hudson.
Get a good pitcher if we must give up on Hudson after 1 outing.

russ99
07-11-2010, 04:25 PM
I thought Hudson did OK today. His control was a bit off, but I can chalk some of that up to nerves. Ozzie picked a good time to take him out, too.

I'd expect that 4 days with Coop after the break will get him set to do better next time out.

LoveYourSuit
07-11-2010, 04:27 PM
You won't get much more out of a "5th starter" than you will out of Hudson.
Get a good pitcher if we must give up on Hudson after 1 outing.

Since when was Peavy "a 5th starter" to replace :scratch:

Peavy was your #1 going into the year and pitching like one this past month.

The Sox should be looking to find a replacement for that level of talent, not a 5th starter.

DirtySox
07-11-2010, 04:43 PM

After one start? Gimme a break. :rolleyes:

KMcMahon817
07-11-2010, 04:48 PM

I found it funny, Zisk.

Dan H
07-11-2010, 04:53 PM
For me, it is hard to say what to do to improve the club. For the first 50 plus games this team looked so bad, one would be willing to make any trade. Now they have completely turned it around. Just how good is this team? If I were Williams I'd wait as long as possible before doing anything. Can Hudson contribute anything? Right now in the middle of this great streak I would have the impulse to do nothing and that may not be a wise choice.

Lillian
07-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Acquiring another starting pitcher should now be the highest priority for K.W. I say that not because Hudson had a rough outing today, in fact I think that he'll be fine. However, with him in the rotation there is really no one else to serve as a back up, in case someone else gets hurt.

If you think that the top 4 guys in the rotation are good enough, then you really only need to acquire a guy for the bottom of the rotation. Would you be comfortable going with two righties and two lefties; Danks, Floyd, Buerhle and Garcia, in the playoffs?

If you think that any of those pitchers are not playoff calibre, then the acquisition should be good enough to take that pitcher's place. However, in any case, you need to have someone good enough to fill in for any one of them, in the event of an injury. Therefore, K.W. probably should target a guy who is at least a #3.

The left handed bat now becomes a lesser priority. I would expect K.W. to get someone, but not any of the big names.

Zisk77
07-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Is there a point to this?

yes

Craig Grebeck
07-11-2010, 06:01 PM
I found it funny, Zisk.

yes
That being?

Of course Winn is a better option than Ibanez. One of them has a terrible contract, one does not. One of them provides good defensive value, one does not.

Tragg
07-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Weird argument.
Ibanez is crazy-overpaid, and we already have Randy Kotsay on the Sox.

Hudson had 4Ks, indicative of "good stuff".
What as nice about the Peavy trade is that the only high-ceiling prospect we relinquished was an A ball pitcher - we withheld Hudson. I don't think we'll get off that easy this time.

Zisk77
07-11-2010, 07:13 PM
That being?

Of course Winn is a better option than Ibanez. One of them has a terrible contract, one does not. One of them provides good defensive value, one does not.

Yes, we are in great need outfield defense right now :scratch:. And Ibanez would be acquired as a left handed BAT...and defense is not important for a DH.

Lets see what do we need offensively...?

A Dh
A lefthanded bat
Power and run production

Ibanez...Check...check...check...

so on the surface its a perfect fit...but financially...

I believe Ibanez is in year two of a 3 year 30 mil contract. Now before you cry horrible deal omg, don't you think there just might be more to it. Did we pay all of Thome's salary? How about Juan's?

So at worst we get stuck with Raul for one year and Philly probably still eats some of the salary. If its true that Philly wants some salary relief so they can through that money at werth we may be abl to fill our needs with prospects such as flowers, Morel, and anybody not named Beckham, Hudson, or Viciedo. Or, if we are really lucky instead of paying some of Raul's salary maybe they take Linebrink of our hands instead...even if we have to throw some money back. They are desperate for relievers and he still has good stuff (command not so much).

Zisk77
07-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Plus if we make a deep run into the playoffs the additional revenue should cover Ibanez...and lets face it, Jerry can afford if he wants to, he has already said we could take on salary if he felt it was the right thing to do.

Craig Grebeck
07-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Lets see what do we need offensively...?

A Dh
A lefthanded bat
Power and run production

Ibanez...Check...check...check...

so on the surface its a perfect fit...but financially...

Ibanez is 38. He is hitting .247/.330/.403. He will make $11.5 million next season in his age 39 season. That's an awful idea, even with Philly's help.

BlackandWhiteSox
07-11-2010, 09:27 PM
I'm thinking Kenny will acquire Berkman, there's been interest there before and it makes too much sense to me as a move Kenny would make. He seems to be trying to re-create the '05 squad as best he can, and Berkman would be the closest thing to a 2010 version of Carl Everett that he could realistically get. I just hope he doesn't give up too much to get him. By the way(if I did the math right), Berkman has hit .277 with 10 HR and 36 RBI over his last 202 AB.

Baron
07-11-2010, 10:05 PM
I think we will convince Roy Oswalt to come here and we will get him shortly

Ron Karkovice
07-11-2010, 10:13 PM
Ken Griffey Jr. part deux?

Brian26
07-11-2010, 10:21 PM
I'm thinking Kenny will acquire Berkman, there's been interest there before and it makes too much sense to me as a move Kenny would make.

I think we will convince Roy Oswalt to come here and we will get him shortly

There's something poetic about Kenny trying to fill in the last two missing pieces this year by turning to the team we beat in the WS five years ago. A package deal would no doubt rob the farm, but Berkman and Oswalt would fit in nicely.

Tragg
07-11-2010, 10:28 PM
So what are we going to do...give Houston Flowers and Hudson? That's about all we've got.

Throw Beckham in there because the young player had the nerve to have a bad 1/2 a season?

Craig Grebeck
07-11-2010, 10:33 PM
There's always Jordan Danks, who has been absolutely horrendous in AAA. Still, Buddy Bell loves him to death. (http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/07/your-morning-phil-beckham-flowers-jordan-danks.html) Yikes.

Nelfox02
07-11-2010, 10:34 PM
I dont put anything past KW, but it just seems like we are totally devoid of any kind of trade ammo to land a quality piece unless we are willing to move someone currently on the big club (Bacon, Tank, TCM, maybe even TCQ, Hudson?)

I mean, what can we get in return for guys like Jordan Danks and Flowers? What else is down on the farm to move?

Craig Grebeck
07-11-2010, 10:36 PM
I dont put anything past KW, but it just seems like we are totally devoid of any kind of trade ammo to land a quality piece unless we are willing to move someone currently on the big club (Bacon, Tank, TCM, maybe even TCQ, Hudson?)

I mean, what can we get in return for guys like Jordan Danks and Flowers? What else is down on the farm to move?
We can get very little for those two. What other movable assets are there? Morel is the first guy who comes to mind. Beyond him, I'm not sure there's much.

Edit: Eduardo Escobar may be a guy teams target, but he won't be anything more than a throw-in. His K-rate is up on the season, but he's doing far better in recent weeks in that department. He's always had a great glove, and his bat is starting to come around a little, teeny-tiny bit.

BlackandWhiteSox
07-11-2010, 10:38 PM
So what are we going to do...give Houston Flowers and Hudson? That's about all we've got.

Throw Beckham in there because the young player had the nerve to have a bad 1/2 a season?

I keep thinking it's going to be Viciedo, I don't know why. I'm just talking about Berkman too, not Oswalt I don't think that's going to happen. Maybe a packaged deal and/or Houston paying some of Berkman's salary, not just a swap Viciedo for Berkman.

Tragg
07-11-2010, 10:41 PM
I keep thinking it's going to be Viciedo, I don't know why. I'm just talking about Berkman too, not Oswalt I don't think that's going to happen. Maybe a packaged deal and/or Houston paying some of Berkman's salary, not just an swap Viciedo for Berkman.
Why in the world would we trade Viciedo?
Berkman's a declining player good for another year or 2.
Viciedo is hitting the hell out of the ball in month 1. He has brought a lot of pop to our offense.

I really, really hope we don't do that.

Rockabilly
07-11-2010, 10:41 PM
I keep thinking it's going to be Viciedo, I don't know why. I'm just talking about Berkman too, not Oswalt I don't think that's going to happen. Maybe a packaged deal and/or Houston paying some of Berkman's salary, not just a swap Viciedo for Berkman.

I've the same thought about Viciedo going to Houston. Especially with Teahen coming back soon.

Ron Karkovice
07-11-2010, 10:43 PM

I keep thinking that as well, since it appears the rest of the farm is not very good... That would suck though.

october23sp
07-11-2010, 10:43 PM
I don't think we will get rid of anyone on the current club, or at least TCQ, TCM, Beckham, of The Tank. Maybe Lillibridge.

If no one wants our farm talent for anything, Kenny might not do anything. (Contradicting my OP)

Ron Karkovice
07-11-2010, 10:48 PM
I don't think we will get rid of anyone on the current club, or at least TCQ, TCM, Beckham, of The Tank. Maybe Lillibridge.

If no one wants our farm talent for anything, Kenny might not do anything. (Contradicting my OP)

KW always does something.

BlackandWhiteSox
07-11-2010, 10:54 PM
Why in the world would we trade Viciedo?
Berkman's a declining player good for another year or 2.
Viciedo is hitting the hell out of the ball in month 1. He has brought a lot of pop to our offense.

I really, really hope we don't do that.

Because Morel is heating up in Charlotte and they might plan on him being the 3B of the future, plus Teahen will come back eventually and they're stuck with his contract for now. I could definitely see Kenny trading away some of the future for the chance to win now. I'm not hoping for this by any means, but I think it's going to happen. Maybe we get a halfway decent prospect in the deal as well.

Craig Grebeck
07-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Because Morel is heating up in Charlotte and they might plan on him being the 3B of the future, plus Teahen will come back eventually and they're stuck with his contract for now. I could definitely see Kenny trading away some of the future for the chance to win now. I'm not hoping for this by any means, but I think it's going to happen. Maybe we get a halfway decent prospect in the deal as well.
Viciedo and Morel have no positional conflict, given that the latter has a great glove and the former is far better suited for first base.

october23sp
07-11-2010, 10:59 PM
KW always does something.

Keep TCM, TCQ, Paulie, AJ, Beckham, Viciedo, Vizquel (something about his presence), Pierre, Rios, Burls, Danks, Floyd, Garcia, Santos, Thornton, Putz, and Bobby and I'll be happy with whatever he does. Actually Bobby has a price tag IMO.

BlackandWhiteSox
07-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Viciedo and Morel have no positional conflict, given that the latter has a great glove and the former is far better suited for first base.

Maybe, and maybe they plan on signing Paulie to an extension.

Red Barchetta
07-11-2010, 11:01 PM
The best thing we do may be nothing. This team is on fire, there appears to be no type of clubhouse issues between any players and perhaps they are simply starting to gel. There was a lot of self-imposed pressure earlier in the season and a nice swing through the National League was all it took for them to put it all together.

Depending on how well Hudson performs, KW might just sit this one out.

Craig Grebeck
07-11-2010, 11:01 PM
Maybe, and maybe they plan on signing Paulie to an extension.
Someone's got to DH. Viciedo's future is not at third base.

Tragg
07-11-2010, 11:07 PM
He's not the future. He''s the present. He's helping us now. We need a bat and he's bringing it (and better than Lance Berkman has this year; and I know the sample size is small. But watch some Astros games and he's not the same hitter).
As for a position, we have been playing a bad hitter at DH. There's his position.

We could DFA Teahen. The money's lost anyway. Viciedo's no worse than him in the field anyway.

BlackandWhiteSox
07-11-2010, 11:07 PM
Someone's got to DH. Viciedo's future is not at third base.

That's where the switch-hitting(with more power on the left side) Berkman comes into play. When you're Kenny Williams and your team seems more and more like it has a chance at winning a title, maybe you go for the more proven lefty bat(which everyone knows he wanted in the offseason).

Craig Grebeck
07-11-2010, 11:09 PM
That's where the switch-hitting(with more power on the left side) Berkman comes into play. When you're Kenny Williams and your team seems more and more like it has a chance at winning a title, maybe you go for the more proven lefty bat(which everyone knows he wanted in the offseason).
Then we're having two different conversations. I'm talking about where Viciedo fits in beyond 2010.

I'm not so sure that Viciedo won't out-produce Berkman for the remainder of 2010, or at least keep it respectable. I would not in a million years give Dayan up for Berkman at this stage in his career. Neither would KW.

BlackandWhiteSox
07-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Then we're having two different conversations. I'm talking about where Viciedo fits in beyond 2010.

I'm not so sure that Viciedo won't out-produce Berkman for the remainder of 2010, or at least keep it respectable. I would not in a million years give Dayan up for Berkman at this stage in his career. Neither would KW.

Well obviously beyond this year, everyone would MUCH rather have Viciedo if only because of the age difference. You're right we are having 2 different conversations, I'm referring to Kenny potentially mortgaging the future for a chance at a title run this year. I'd rather take the chance on Viciedo this year and keep him long term too, but I'm not the GM and I could see Kenny thinking otherwise.

palehozenychicty
07-12-2010, 08:01 AM
I know that Berkman is seasoned, but he isn't healthy enough to make an impact right now. I'd rather give the younger guy a chance to do his thing. Many a postseason has turned on youth excelling under the spotlight. (jenks? bob jenks?).

Ron Karkovice
07-12-2010, 08:03 AM
i know that berkman is seasoned, but he isn't healthy enough to make an impact right now. I'd rather give the younger guy a chance to do his thing. Many a postseason has turned on youth excelling under the spotlight. (jenks? Bob jenks?).

007?

russ99
07-12-2010, 09:01 AM
He's not the future. He''s the present. He's helping us now. We need a bat and he's bringing it (and better than Lance Berkman has this year; and I know the sample size is small. But watch some Astros games and he's not the same hitter).
As for a position, we have been playing a bad hitter at DH. There's his position.

We could DFA Teahen. The money's lost anyway. Viciedo's no worse than him in the field anyway.

But Ozzie's a believer in not taking a guy's job away due to injury. Is everyone going to pitch a fit when Teahen's back at 3B?

The Sox are not going to DFA him, and it's disingenuous to assume Teahen can't improve at the plate when so many Sox players have in the last month.

I'd also prefer Teahen and Beckham switch positions, or share playing time in a platoon situation if the defense is much better with Viciedo and Omar at 3B.

IMO, Viciedo's going to end up at 1B next season, unless Paul takes a paycut to stay here, which I don't see happening.

I also don't see Kenny adding Berkman with his insanely high option for next year, since Berkman may want that exercised to waive his NTC.

Dick Allen
07-12-2010, 11:42 AM
Please remember that Teahen was finally starting to hit just before he got hurt. I would at least give him the chance to continue the upward trend.

october23sp
07-17-2010, 06:45 PM
I want a pitcher, we have 3 terrible starts to start off the second half.

sox1970
07-17-2010, 06:48 PM

Danks had one bad inning in which his defense let him down. Floyd definitely had the defense let him down last night. So, chill.

doublem23
07-17-2010, 06:55 PM
Please remember that Teahen was finally starting to hit just before he got hurt. I would at least give him the chance to continue the upward trend.

Teahen sucks.

doublem23
07-17-2010, 06:56 PM
IMO, Viciedo's going to end up at 1B next season, unless Paul takes a paycut to stay here, which I don't see happening.

Considering Paul's already taken a paycut once to stay here, I'm not sure what you're basing this prediction on.

russ99
07-17-2010, 08:07 PM
Considering Paul's already taken a paycut once to stay here, I'm not sure what you're basing this prediction on.

When was that? He signed a market value deal in 2005, it's only that the Angels were offering a bit more. He didn't take a paycut. He went from $8.75M in 2005 to $12M.

sox1970
07-17-2010, 08:09 PM

So that qualified as terrible for Buehrle?

doublem23
07-17-2010, 08:24 PM
When was that? He signed a market value deal in 2005, it's only that the Angels were offering a bit more. He didn't take a paycut. He went from $8.75M in 2005 to $12M.

Widely reported in 2005 the Angels were willing to offer him more than what the Sox did.

Didn't you get the memo? Baseball games only last 2 innings now.

Coops4Aces
07-17-2010, 08:25 PM

Haha I was going to ask the same thing!

As for Kenny, get a ****ing hitter and do it now!

Saracen
07-18-2010, 02:50 AM
Hyperbole much? :scratch:

Hitmen77
07-18-2010, 12:38 PM
During the offseason when the Sox "we don't need a full time player at DH" plan was unveiled, some defenders of the plan here thought that KW would just snap his fingers in July and the Sox would get someone like Adrian Gonzalez or Adam Dunn to fill that hole in our lineup.

Now that it's July, everyone sees the reality that the Sox just don't have enough good prospects to get a big bat. I wouldn't be surprised if Kenny does make a move by the deadline....but I don't expect a big bat. Expect someone who is slightly better than Mark Kotsay.

Pablo_Honey
07-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Expect someone who is slightly better than Mark Kotsay.
Bring on Ken Griffey Jr.! Oh wait...

In all seriousness, the more time goes by, the more I realize how much of a depleted team we are, both in prospects and money. I will be pleasantly surprised if they make an impact move before trading deadline. I won't be surprised if they acquire a marginal player and label him as an upgrade.

russ99
07-18-2010, 02:54 PM
Bring on Ken Griffey Jr.! Oh wait...

In all seriousness, the more time goes by, the more I realize how much of a depleted team we are, both in prospects and money. I will be pleasantly surprised if they make an impact move before trading deadline. I won't be surprised if they acquire a marginal player and label him as an upgrade.

Considering both Ozzie's and Kenny's necks are on the line, I'd be very surprised if they don't add a player.

But I'm expecting that player to be a starting pitcher and not a hitter.

If that $6-8M they didn't pay Damon is available, then I'd very much doubt we can add an impact bat for that little salary, and also have prospects that other teams want for such a bat. KW's good, but not a miracle worker.

A 3rd/4th starter would be much more possible given our limited salary flexibility and prospects other teams would want.

As for an inexpensive hitter, would somebody like Russell Branyan or Hank Blalock be good enough along with a good 3rd/4th starter?

Hitmen77
07-18-2010, 03:12 PM
Considering both Ozzie's and Kenny's necks are on the line, I'd be very surprised if they don't add a player.

But I'm expecting that player to be a starting pitcher and not a hitter.

If that $6-8M they didn't pay Damon is available, then I'd very much doubt we can add an impact bat for that little salary, and also have prospects that other teams want for such a bat. KW's good, but not a miracle worker.

A 3rd/4th starter would be much more possible given our limited salary flexibility and prospects other teams would want.

As for an inexpensive hitter, would somebody like Russell Branyan or Hank Blalock be good enough along with a good 3rd/4th starter?

Remember, when you're approaching Aug 1, you're looking at only paying something around 1/3 of a player's annual salary (because there is only 1/3 of a season left). So, Dunn making $12 million doesn't mean he's out of the Sox price range because they might be only paying $4-5 million of that salary.

....now that being said, I think the biggest roadblock for us acquiring another bat is our lack of minor league talent. So, I think the most likely scenario is that KW gets a bat, but it's someone who is a marginal upgrade to our roster.

Rdy2PlayBall
07-18-2010, 05:43 PM
The Sox need a decent-to-good arm for the bullpen (no, not to replace Bobby), and a LH-bat. We'll see what happens tomorrow with Hudson, if it's bad, I'd rather have a good 3-5 starter than the LH-bat.

A good bullpen guy can go a LONG way, because they can go almost every day, and can reduce pressure on the rest of the guys. Also, the bat can help everyday, and get rid of the blackhole that is Jonesay.

I don't think Kenny will do 2 of any of those... but I hope he at least does one. The rumors aren't floating around like I'd hope.

Lillian
07-18-2010, 05:50 PM
Whether Hudson performs well tomorrow, or not, they need one more starter as back up. With Hudson in the rotation, they are void of another capable starter, someone in the rotation goes to the DL.

Regarding a hitter: He must be good enough to bat 4th or 5th, in order to break up the string of RH hitters. If he's just another LH bat, then they already have Teahen coming off the DL to fill that role.
He doesn't have to be a super star, but he needs to provide that presence in the middle of the order, from the left side.

Daver
07-18-2010, 05:57 PM

On the line for what?

kittle42
07-18-2010, 06:23 PM
On the line for what?

Agreed. Neither of them is in danger of losing their jobs.