PDA

View Full Version : Cliff Lee is a Ranger. Texas Ranger

DirtySox
07-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Lee and Lowe to the Rangers for Smoak and 3 others.

Sockinchisox
07-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Done deal.

Lee and Mark Lowe to Rangers for Smoak and 3 others.

http://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/18146863787

Baron
07-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Mariners absolutely robbed the Rangers

chisox616
07-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Now that's a haul. No wonder the Mariners backed off the Yankee's offer. They just got better.

thomas35forever
07-09-2010, 05:16 PM
A win-win for both?

Over By There
07-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Very happy to hear this - no Twins, no Yankees. Rangers are still very beatable even with Lee.

Pablo_Honey
07-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Rangers must be confident that they can resign Lee because half a season of Lee for Smoak is seriously overpaying. Granted, Smoak hasn't been lighting it up like he should have been but the kid has amazing plate discipline and can play solid defense. Nice trade by the Mariners. I wonder when they will compete again.

sox1970
07-09-2010, 05:26 PM
http://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/18148109458

Whatever happened to McCarthy?

GoGoCrede
07-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Good!

Palehose Pete
07-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Excellent.

salty99
07-09-2010, 05:29 PM
http://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/18148109458

Whatever happened to McCarthy?

Injured as usual.

Sockinchisox
07-09-2010, 05:31 PM
The other prospects are Beavan, Lueke, and Lawson.

Tragg
07-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Texas is formidable. They have a shot at this.
They also have a ton of prospects. One prospect to them isn't worth as much as 1 prospect to Seattle (or us).

GoGoCrede
07-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Hell, I don't even care what team he goes to, as long as it's not the Twins.

twsoxfan5
07-09-2010, 05:38 PM
I am a fan of this. Better the Rangers, then the Twins or Yanks.

Craig Grebeck
07-09-2010, 05:39 PM
That is a ballsy move for the Rangers, given their history with unloading first basemen.

I like it though, their system can absorb that kind of loss.

russ99
07-09-2010, 05:43 PM
That is a ballsy move for the Rangers, given their history with unloading first basemen.

I like it though, their system can absorb that kind of loss.

Certainly. But playing at The Ballpark in Arlington isn't kind to pitchers, so Lee may not have the impact some would assume.

Mariners got a haul. Good news for the Astros, this sets the market, and now their demands for Oswalt aren't completely out there.

Twins_Morneau
07-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Ah nuts.. Atleast its not the Yankees right.:scratch:

ilsox7
07-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Sounds like some bad karma also headed the way of Seattle.

Craig Grebeck
07-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Sounds like some bad karma also headed the way of Seattle.
Because they backed out of the Yankees deal?

ilsox7
07-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Because they backed out of the Yankees deal?

Yea. They had every right to, but still not the way to do things (if what is being reported is accurate).

Tragg
07-09-2010, 05:50 PM
What's being reported that makes the Mariners' behavior so intolerable?

ilsox7
07-09-2010, 05:52 PM
What's being reported that makes the Mariners' behavior so intolerable?

Verbally accepted with the Yankees with the deal contingent upon physicals. Then took the deal to the Rangers and told them to put Smoak in or Lee is going to the Yankees. Rangers agreed and M's used an ankle injury (no idea how severe) to one of the players as a way to back out.

Chez
07-09-2010, 05:54 PM
Twins and Tiges both have two series left with Texas!

VenturaFan23
07-09-2010, 06:04 PM
Ah nuts.. Atleast its not the Yankees right.:scratch:

and the Twins! :neener:

As for the Rangers, good for them. I want someone else to other than the Angels for once to take that division.

WhiteSox5187
07-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Verbally accepted with the Yankees with the deal contingent upon physicals. Then took the deal to the Rangers and told them to put Smoak in or Lee is going to the Yankees. Rangers agreed and M's used an ankle injury (no idea how severe) to one of the players as a way to back out.

That's not what I heard, I heard that the Rangers found out one of the guys the Yankees were trying to off load had a sprained ankle and were reluctant to go forward and then the Yankee deal died. The Yankee deal was reported dead before the Rangers deal was confirmed.

Rockabilly
07-09-2010, 06:06 PM
so glad he didn't go to the Twins or Yanks

ilsox7
07-09-2010, 06:08 PM
That's not what I heard, I heard that the Rangers found out one of the guys the Yankees were trying to off load had a sprained ankle and were reluctant to go forward and then the Yankee deal died. The Yankee deal was reported dead before the Rangers deal was confirmed.

Obviously will depend on which story you believe. I find it hard to believe the M's did not know about this ankle injury before asking for the player. Regardless, this story is out there being reported, so I figured I would add it to the thread.

cards press box
07-09-2010, 06:12 PM
Rangers must be confident that they can resign Lee.

I have to believe that signing Cliff Lee will be Nolan Ryan's top priority. Lee is from Arkansas and, who knows, signing with the Rangers might be what he wants to do. I would rather see that than the New York Zillionaires use their vast local media revenue to sign every premiere free agent out there.

Crede24Thome25
07-09-2010, 06:13 PM
I don't care which side is true, just happy the Yankees now know they can't get everyone they want.

JB98
07-09-2010, 06:20 PM
I think this move is good news for us as Sox fans.

The Sox are already done playing Texas. If we have to face Lee, it will be in the playoffs. (That would be fine with me.) Meanwhile, Twinks still have seven left with Texas. Detroit has five. Hopefully, our rivals will have to deal with Lee in those games.

Meanwhile, the Sox have seven with Seattle later this month. Lee won't be pitching in any of those games, which naturally increases the odds of Sox victories in those contests.

october23sp
07-09-2010, 06:30 PM
:bandance: That is all.

SOXSINCE'70
07-09-2010, 06:38 PM
:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

Frater Perdurabo
07-09-2010, 06:42 PM

The Sox are already done playing Texas. If we have to face Lee, it will be in the playoffs. (That would be fine with me.) Meanwhile, Twinks still have seven left with Texas. Detroit has five. Hopefully, our rivals will have to deal with Lee in those games.

Meanwhile, the Sox have seven with Seattle later this month. Lee won't be pitching in any of those games, which naturally increases the odds of Sox victories in those contests.

Well said. Hopefully this will be as much as a four-game swing that can make up for the Sox losing too many games to the Indians.

Jurr
07-09-2010, 06:50 PM
One of the groomsmen in my wedding party is a Rangers scout. He hates the deal, much the same way he hated the Danks deal.

TheVulture
07-09-2010, 06:54 PM
One of the groomsmen in my wedding party is a Rangers scout. He hates the deal, much the same way he hated the Danks deal.

Yeah, because acquiring an ace like Lee for a pennant contender is similar to acquiring McCarthy for a mediocre squad.:rolleyes:

Rangers are obviously going for the jugular.

Pablo_Honey
07-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Hmm, why doesn't he like the deal, if you don't mind me asking? I think this deal does favour the Mariners but that's because I prefer young impact players under control at an affordable price. At first I thought the Rangers were stupid to let Smoak go but then again they do have Chris Davis and possibly Max Ramirez to take over.

Red Barchetta
07-09-2010, 06:59 PM
I'm surprised they traded inside their division. However happy it wasn't the Yankees or Twins.

doublem23
07-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Yeah, because acquiring an ace like Lee for a pennant contender is similar to acquiring McCarthy for a mediocre squad.:rolleyes:

Rangers are obviously going for the jugular.

Probably feels they're overpaying for what could very well be just a 3-month rental.

Jesus, it's a legitimate opinion.

Saracen
07-09-2010, 07:20 PM
I have to believe that signing Cliff Lee will be Nolan Ryan's top priority. Lee is from Arkansas and, who knows, signing with the Rangers might be what he wants to do. I would rather see that than the New York Zillionaires use their vast local media revenue to sign every premiere free agent out there.
They can't resign him since they are owned by Major League Baseball. There's a small chance this deal won't even go through because creditors are up in arms about the $1.5 million in salary owed to Lee this year.

It's looking more & more like Nolan won't even be with the team next year as the Greenberg/Ryan sale is looking more bleak.

TheVulture
07-09-2010, 09:19 PM
Probably feels they're overpaying for what could very well be just a 3-month rental.

Jesus, it's a legitimate opinion.

True, I guess I just prefer the let's seize our best opportunity in years to win a World Series mentality.

Craig Grebeck
07-09-2010, 09:23 PM
I can see that. Some scouts have "their guy," so to speak. I'd guess he hates it because of Beavan and Smoak. Did he say which guy he's most upset about?

soxfanreggie
07-09-2010, 09:34 PM
Good for the Rangers right now, great for the Mariners for the future because they likely weren't going to re-sign Lee.

Tragg
07-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Rangers had excess prospects. They traded some of them. Can't use them all on your own team. Good move (as long as the price was reasonable; I don't know anything about the prospects).

Rangers have a solid team; but not as good as the stats-boys think they are. They'll be tough to beat. If we make the playoffs, they're our likely round 1 opponent.

PeteWard
07-09-2010, 11:22 PM

Wep, oh weep, for the Yankees.

PeteWard
07-09-2010, 11:24 PM
Rangers had excess prospects. They traded some of them. Can't use them all on your own team. Good move (as long as the price was reasonable; I don't know anything about the prospects).

Rangers have a solid team; but not as good as the stats-boys think they are. They'll be tough to beat. If we make the playoffs, they're our likely round 1 opponent.

Not likely. The WC should come from the East so one of the East teams
would have to be the Sox' 1st round opponent.

Tragg
07-09-2010, 11:28 PM
Not likely. The WC should come from the East so one of the East teams
would have to be the Sox' 1st round opponent.
Oh that's right...baseball has the stupid rule that you can't play within the same division first round.
The NFL doesn't have that rule.

PeteWard
07-09-2010, 11:31 PM

Good summary! You've improved my mood which was already good after this 8-2 rout. :D:

I already thought too much has been made of the upcoming Sox schedule being the toughest because of the many remaining games with Bos & NY. But people were not thinking much about Det and MN still having lots of Texas and TB-- while the Sox are done with them. Taking Lee out of the Sox' future games with SEA and adding them to MN and Det could mean a 3 or 4 game swing. :bandance:

PeteWard
07-09-2010, 11:33 PM
Oh that's right...baseball has the stupid rule that you can't play within the same division first round.
The NFL doesn't have that rule.

Yeah it is a weird rule but think of all the Red Sox Yankees series and associated hype that has prevented!

theamb
07-10-2010, 12:03 AM
I was wondering why in the hell would the Yankees give up Montero when they will sign Lee in the offseason anyhow.

Texas giving up Smoak and others is a hefty price to pay...but they have been looking for starting pitching for years.

Minnesota is the big loser in all of this. I was certain they were going to land Lee.

PeteWard
07-10-2010, 12:44 AM
I was wondering why in the hell would the Yankees give up Montero when they will sign Lee in the offseason anyhow.

Texas giving up Smoak and others is a hefty price to pay...but they have been looking for starting pitching for years.

Minnesota is the big loser in all of this. I was certain they were going to land Lee.

I hope he shuts them out a couple of times.

soxinem1
07-10-2010, 12:49 AM
I don't believe TEX was 'smoaked' in this deal, but SEA doesn't get a huge haul either.

Smoak hitting .200 without power is not as big of a deal as his moving from one of the best hitters parks in in one of the best lineups MLB to one of the worst hitters parks and worst lineups.

Cliff Lee also has a career ERA of nearly 8.00 in Arlington.

And with inquiries already beginning because of the Rangers adding $1.5 million to their payroll I'm not sure they will be able to sign him long-term at the end of the season, especially when NYY will dump about $20 million a season on his lap.

This trade works well for the White Sox because Lee not going to MIN sure does not help their cause.

Craig Grebeck
07-10-2010, 01:13 AM
Wait, so there's no extension window?

If you think the Mariners are going to get the haul they look like they are getting without the Yanks having a 72 hour signing period, you're very naive. Deals for players in Lee's situation (stud in a contract year) almost always include a signing period otherwise the players sent to the team are not worth it.

lolol

Tragg
07-10-2010, 10:27 AM
I don't believe TEX was 'smoaked' in this deal, but SEA doesn't get a huge haul either.

Smoak hitting .200 without power is not as big of a deal as his moving from one of the best hitters parks in in one of the best lineups MLB to one of the worst hitters parks and worst lineups.

From what I can tell Seattle got 1 really good pitching prospect and Smoak - a good young 1B who's low on power. For a team loaded with prospects, Texas did pretty will in not sending too many.
Speaking of under-powered 1B, thats what I'm afraid the Sox will do when Paul leaves.

doublem23
07-10-2010, 10:31 AM
True, I guess I just prefer the let's seize our best opportunity in years to win a World Series mentality.

No doubt, if Lee helps Texas make a run at a World Series title, it was obviously a good move, but if the Rangers tank, Lee bolts after this year, and Smoak turns out to live up to the hype, the deal could swing the other way.

I could see why a minor league scout would hate this deal, Smoak's got all the talent in the world to turn into a perennial All-Star and monster offensive force. But I can see why the Rangers wanted to add that ace to the front of their staff. When you make an omelette, you got to break a few eggs.

doublem23
07-10-2010, 10:32 AM

Totally, Justin Smoak is 23 years old and 70 games into his Major League career, HE'S OBVIOUSLY PEAKED.

Pablo_Honey
07-10-2010, 12:14 PM
From what I can tell Seattle got 1 really good pitching prospect and Smoak - a good young 1B who's low on power. For a team loaded with prospects, Texas did pretty will in not sending too many.
Beavan's an okay prospect. He throws for strikes but his velocity isn't what it was in high school and his mechanics aren't exactly great either. He seems like a guy who could wind up to be a decent back-end starter. Smoak was/is one of the top prospects in the league. For a possible rental, that's not exactly a good price despite the depth of that Rangers farm.
Speaking of under-powered 1B, thats what I'm afraid the Sox will do when Paul leaves.
Huh? IIRC, they've been grooming Viciedo to be our future 1B and he's looking like a monster at the plate so far in terms of power.

Totally, Justin Smoak is 23 years old and 70 games into his Major League career, HE'S OBVIOUSLY PEAKED.
Yup. People need to realize this is his first season in the Majors before calling him a bust. Despite his general offensive struggles, the kid's still showing good plate discipline and playing solid defense, something you don't see in a lot of prospects.

Zakath
07-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Excellent Jeff Passan article on this on Yahoo:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Atrzi3n5vjhTHh5t5WBkdMERvLYF?slug=jp-leetrade070910

Maybe it's about time teams stopped trading their stars to the Evil Empire (and its evil twin brother in Boston) for prospects that may or may not pan out (and if they do, the Evil Empires will want them back).

sox1970
07-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Lee gave up 5 runs in 6 innings vs Baltimore. He has sucked in Arlington in his career, so a little alarming.

Chris Tillman has a no-hitter thru 6.

sox1970
07-10-2010, 10:54 PM
Lee lost but he got the complete game with under 100 pitches. Gave up 6 runs. They wanted him to save the bullpen. He did that much.

soxfanreggie
07-11-2010, 01:15 AM
Lee lost but he got the complete game with under 100 pitches. Gave up 6 runs. They wanted him to save the bullpen. He did that much.

Lee is pitching old school - does anyone have anywhere close to the number of complete games as he does?