PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Cubs Schedule

g0g0
07-09-2010, 04:24 PM
I know this is non-Sox, but I thought it was cool that next year the Cubbies will be at Fenway for the first time since the 1918 World Series. It's only a first draft schedule though.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=5365218

gregoriop
07-09-2010, 04:36 PM
They need to start working on reinforcing the walls of Fenway. I'm not sure it can handle all that hot air at once.

LITTLE NELL
07-09-2010, 05:45 PM
Is it possible for them to both lose those games.?

hi im skot
07-09-2010, 05:53 PM
"Cubbies".

Barf.

eriqjaffe
07-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Reminds me of when the Red Sox visited Wrigley last year, and there was a firestorm of "OMG THE RED SOX ARE COMING TO CHICAGO" as if they hadn't been coming to town every year since 1901. :rolleyes:

Over By There
07-09-2010, 05:54 PM
Hooray.

07-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Can you see a copy of this preliminary schedule anywhere?

Anyone know the NL Road games the White Sox will face next year?

october23sp
07-09-2010, 06:31 PM
What is "Cubbies?"

bridgeportcopper
07-09-2010, 06:42 PM

Haven't seen schedule yet.....but, you can absolutely count on seeing Pittsburgh on it.

RadioheadRocks
07-09-2010, 08:07 PM
"Cubbies".

Barf.

Amen. We respect you following the team, but that term makes most of us here at WSI want to vomit.

Brian26
07-09-2010, 08:50 PM

Bet the kid's lunch money we'll play a three game series in Pittsburgh.

The Milkman
07-09-2010, 09:56 PM
There will be a lot of Red Sox and Flubs "fans" at Fenway for that series.

Red Barchetta
07-09-2010, 11:09 PM
2011 schedule...

LongLiveFisk
07-10-2010, 12:33 AM
Reminds me of when the Red Sox visited Wrigley last year, and there was a firestorm of "OMG THE RED SOX ARE COMING TO CHICAGO" as if they hadn't been coming to town every year since 1901. :rolleyes:

I remember that. Sometimes people don't realize how stupid they sound.

Amen. We respect you following the team, but that term makes most of us here at WSI want to vomit.

Agreed.

TommyJohn
07-10-2010, 01:35 AM

I remember that. Sometimes people don't realize how stupid they sound.

Agreed.

I remember 2003 when the Yankees came here for the first time since 1938 and the insufferable orgy of hype that preceeded it. Steve Rosenbloom quoted a writer to his column who asked "don't the Yankees play here every year?" Steve's sneering reply was "yes, but now they're playing a team that everyone cares about." And the Chicago sports media wonders why Sox fans don't like them.

Anyway, that response inspired me to create a character I had going on WSI for a while-the Sneering Chicago Sports Media Ass. I trotted him out a few times until the creation of the "Cubune" headline thread. I had great fun with it. Now, blah. The joke's stale.

I am looking forward to seeing a Chicago baseball team play in Boston for the first time since 1918. And to think that 1918 was the last time teams from these two great cities met in the postseason....*sigh*

Nellie_Fox
07-10-2010, 01:44 AM
Somebody here in Minnesota (after assuming I was a Cubs fan because I was from Chicago) once said to me "how can you hate the Cubbies?" I replied "the fact that people call them the Cubbies is one reason."

RadioheadRocks
07-10-2010, 02:03 AM
I remember 2003 when the Yankees came here for the first time since 1938 and the insufferable orgy of hype that preceeded it. Steve Rosenbloom quoted a writer to his column who asked "don't the Yankees play here every year?" Steve's sneering reply was "yes, but now they're playing a team that everyone cares about." And the Chicago sports media wonders why Sox fans don't like them.

Somebody here in Minnesota (after assuming I was a Cubs fan because I was from Chicago) once said to me "how can you hate the Cubbies?" I replied "the fact that people call them the Cubbies is one reason."

Exactly, and media gatekeepers like Rosenbloom (read: ASSHATS) are why those assumptions perpetuate.

mccoydp
07-10-2010, 04:49 AM
I know this is non-Sox, but I thought it was cool that next year the Cubbies will be at Fenway for the first time since the 1918 World Series. It's only a first draft schedule though.

At least the Cubs get to travel from one dump to another. They'll feel right at home in Fenway Park. :redneck

DumpJerry
07-10-2010, 11:14 AM
Oh my. Who will the Cub fans cheer for?

veeter
07-10-2010, 05:56 PM
"Cubbies".

Barf.Exactly. Isn't that word banned from this site?

cws05champ
07-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Exactly. Isn't that word banned from this site?

I'm sure the mods can think of and appropriate auto replacement for "Cubbies" whenever it is typed in.

LongLiveFisk
07-10-2010, 06:36 PM

I can totally see them cheering for both sides. :rolleyes:

Madvora
07-10-2010, 07:07 PM
I just opened this thread 3 seconds ago and I'm already sick of the hype this series is receiving.

WizardsofOzzie
07-10-2010, 08:39 PM
I'm sure the mods can think of and appropriate auto replacement for "Cubbies" whenever it is typed in.
Is Fingernails on a blackboard still taken?......Yep, looks like it :smile:

I can totally see them cheering for both sides. :rolleyes:
You're assuming they'll be aware there is a baseball game taking place.

slavko
07-10-2010, 10:25 PM

Permissible and effective when used derisively. Examples: "Cubbie Loving Kaplan" , "Kicking Cubbie Butt" Mods:Please don't ban it.

russ99
07-10-2010, 10:30 PM

LOL!!!

I find it even more funny that the Cubs are so awful that the fans are already looking forward to 2011. "It's Gonna Happen". :tongue:

SOXSINCE'70
07-10-2010, 10:36 PM

There are only a few teams that should have IE or EE at the end
(Phillies, Rockies, Yankees). Everyone else has no excuse, IMO.

Nellie_Fox
07-11-2010, 02:40 AM
There are only a few teams that should have IE or EE at the end (Phillies, Rockies, Yankees). Everyone else has no excuse, IMO.And none of those are "diminutives." They aren't intended to convey cuteness.

Foulke You
07-11-2010, 02:54 AM
It will definitely be a conflicting series for the strange hybrid known as Red Cub fans. This bizarre little sub species of Cub Dumb is unfortunately, something native to Chicago only. I can say with almost 99% certainty (and perhaps Fenway can back me up here) that there are no Bostonians that give a hoot about the Cubs nor do they wear combined Cub and Red Sox gear to games. I've been to Fenway Park over a dozen times and have never seen this phenomenon there. However, I see the "B" hat combined with Cubs jerseys and shirts in Chicago more times than I can count. You can call "Red Sox Nation" annoying, loud, obnoxious, or anything else...but I can definitely say that they are too busy with their cold war with the Yankees to notice anything the Chicago NL franchise is doing.

BigHurt3515
07-11-2010, 03:42 AM
Anybody know yet if we will be in St. Louis next year?

SI1020
07-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Cub fans are suave sophisticates who play in the most ornate shrine in the history of professional sports. Going to Wrigley, which includes dining and drinks before and after the game is a religious experience. OTOH the Sox play in the most dangerous urban neighborhood in North America. Their fans, what few of them exist are mostly inbreds that look, think and act like the Ligues. Oh, you're from Chicago? Surely you must love those Cubbies? That's the kind of thinking you have to put up with when you live far away in the hinterlands. This viewpoint peaked in 03, eased up a little after the Sox won the WS, and then returned as strong as ever in recent years. I gave up trying to defend our team and our ball park. Now, if the subject comes up I just say I root for the White Sox and leave it at that.

C-Dawg
07-11-2010, 10:18 AM
I can say with almost 99% certainty... that there are no Bostonians that give a hoot about the Cubs nor do they wear combined Cub and Red Sox gear to games. ...but I can definitely say that they are too busy with their cold war with the Yankees to notice anything the Chicago NL franchise is doing.

Agree 100%. The "Cub & Red Sox" love is strictly a one-way relationship.

dickallen15
07-11-2010, 10:26 AM
Cub fans are suave sophisticates who play in the most ornate shrine in the history of professional sports. Going to Wrigley, which includes dining and drinks before and after the game is a religious experience. OTOH the Sox play in the most dangerous urban neighborhood in North America. Their fans, what few of them exist are mostly inbreds that look, think and act like the Ligues. Oh, you're from Chicago? Surely you must love those Cubbies? That's the kind of thinking you have to put up with when you live far away in the hinterlands. This viewpoint peaked in 03, eased up a little after the Sox won the WS, and then returned as strong as ever in recent years. I gave up trying to defend our team and our ball park. Now, if the subject comes up I just say I root for the White Sox and leave it at that.

Honestly this happened when I went to the game Friday night with a lifelong Cubs fan, 2 minutes after we entered USCF, he said "OMG, this place is so much nicer than Wrigley Field."

TomBradley72
07-11-2010, 11:26 AM
The whole "isn't it special because it involves the special Cubbies" thing makes me puke.

There are about 120 different fraanchises across the 4 major professional team sports in North America...only ONE has been waiting over 100 years to win a championship...nothing cute and lovable about that. And NO, everyone is not rooting for the Cubs to get their championship, etc.

The ballpark IS unique, and every baseball fan should see a game there once, like going to Cooperstown. But for a day in, day out trip to the ballpark, I'd choose about 20 major league ballparks over Wrigley.

It's fine that their loyal fans are into the team...but the assumption that everyone else sees something special about their history of futility is annoying.

g0g0
07-11-2010, 12:58 PM

Don't know where you can find a prelim schedule. As for the 'Cubbies' thing, I'm surprised it brings so much pain to you guys as it is one of their nicknames. But I can't call them the Flubs, which while maybe true 99% of the time, just isn't good for me. :tongue:

SOXPHILE
07-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Don't know where you can find a prelim schedule. As for the 'Cubbies' thing, I'm surprised it brings so much pain to you guys as it is one of their nicknames. But I can't call them the Flubs, which while maybe true 99% of the time, just isn't good for me. :tongue:

A lot of teams have nicknames attached to them. Yankees = Bronx Bombers. White Sox = Southside Hitmen. 80's Lakers = Showtime. Mid 70's Flyers = Broad Street Bullies. Nicknames, whether you love them, hate them or are indifferent about them, usually are supposed to reflect something about the team; A winning tradition, toughness, a high level of skill, or some sort of intimidation for the other team. I don't think fans of the Eagles or Steelers would refer to their teams as the "Eaglies" or the "Steeleries". I sure as hell know that nobody here would ever call the White Sox the "White Soxies", or "White Sockies". When you put an "ies" at the end of the word, you are making it sound cute and cuddly, like a puppy or a doll. "Look, grandma bought you a new dollie."

What does "Cubbies" mean ? What does that say about the fan base that refers to them in that manner ? This is a team that in another 3 months is going to be "celebrating" the 102nd anniversary of the last time they won a championship. Still the longest drought in all four of the pro leagues, by far. This is a fan base that, since 1984, has been looked upon by many people, as a casual one. One that doesn't really care or know that much about the game, it's all about the suntans, the beer, the flirting, etc. What happens on the field, eh, whatever. CUBBIES !!! WHOOOOO !!! Calling the team this cutie pie, fuzzy, nickname just continues to perpetuate that view. I've been told by more than one actual Cubs fan that they HATE it when the team is referred to that way, and that any real fan of any team would not like it if their team was constantly referred to like that either.

FielderJones
07-11-2010, 10:55 PM
I find it even more funny that the Cubs are so awful that the fans are already looking forward to 2011. "It's Gonna Happen". :tongue:

Nope. "Year 103". :tongue:

Ron Karkovice
07-12-2010, 08:08 AM
:cheers::cheers:

A lot of teams have nicknames attached to them. Yankees = Bronx Bombers. White Sox = Southside Hitmen. 80's Lakers = Showtime. Mid 70's Flyers = Broad Street Bullies. Nicknames, whether you love them, hate them or are indifferent about them, usually are supposed to reflect something about the team; A winning tradition, toughness, a high level of skill, or some sort of intimidation for the other team. I don't think fans of the Eagles or Steelers would refer to their teams as the "Eaglies" or the "Steeleries". I sure as hell know that nobody here would ever call the White Sox the "White Soxies", or "White Sockies". When you put an "ies" at the end of the word, you are making it sound cute and cuddly, like a puppy or a doll. "Look, grandma bought you a new dollie."

What does "Cubbies" mean ? What does that say about the fan base that refers to them in that manner ? This is a team that in another 3 months is going to be "celebrating" the 102nd anniversary of the last time they won a championship. Still the longest drought in all four of the pro leagues, by far. This is a fan base that, since 1984, has been looked upon by many people, as a casual one. One that doesn't really care or know that much about the game, it's all about the suntans, the beer, the flirting, etc. What happens on the field, eh, whatever. CUBBIES !!! WHOOOOO !!! Calling the team this cutie pie, fuzzy, nickname just continues to perpetuate that view. I've been told by more than one actual Cubs fan that they HATE it when the team is referred to that way, and that any real fan of any team would not like it if their team was constantly referred to like that either.

DumpJerry
07-12-2010, 08:25 AM
he said "OMG, this place is so much nicer than Wrigley Field." I know people who said this upon entering a Porta Potty in the deep woods that has not been serviced in 25 years.

g0g0
07-12-2010, 08:53 AM

It's more of an affectionate term than anything. Calling them that doesn't explain to you or anyone else how I view the team, how much of a fan I am, etc.

How many teams out there have a "cutesy" name? That's one of the unique things about the Cubs. They aren't the Bears, which can handle a "Monsters of the Midway" nickname (well, when they aren't playing like ****). How would Cubs "Death Row Killers" sound? Doesn't quite go. But either way it won't change the perception until the Cubbies win their next WS. Actually, people will still whine and complain afterwards. :rolleyes:

white sox bill
07-12-2010, 09:20 AM
It's more of an affectionate term than anything. Calling them that doesn't explain to you or anyone else how I view the team, how much of a fan I am, etc.

How many teams out there have a "cutesy" name? That's one of the unique things about the Cubs. They aren't the Bears, which can handle a "Monsters of the Midway" nickname (well, when they aren't playing like ****). How would Cubs "Death Row Killers" sound? Doesn't quite go. But either way it won't change the perception until the Cubbies win their next WS. Actually, people will still whine and complain afterwards. :rolleyes:

I've never had a problem with Cubbies name. Its just an affectionate way of referring to them. Kinda like Paulie...

If I'm gonna be upset about something its gotta be something little more important than a slang name. But whatever trips your trigger.....

doublem23
07-12-2010, 09:33 AM
The Cubbies nickname doesn't really bother me, but I must confess, I roll my eyes whenever a Cub fan affectionaly refers to their team as the Lovable Losers. I think that nickname, more than Cubbies, sums up all that can be wrong in Cub fandom.

bigsoxfan420
07-12-2010, 09:49 AM
They need to start working on reinforcing the walls of Fenway. I'm not sure it can handle all that hot air at once.

:rolling:

pythons007
07-12-2010, 10:17 AM
It's hilarious that it's now the All-Star Break and the Cubs have released it's 2011 schedule. Are you ****ing kidding me, seriously? 2011? Who gives a ****!

Iwritecode
07-12-2010, 10:44 AM

How long has inter-league play been around and they are just now getting around to having the Cubs play in Boston?

chisoxfanatic
07-12-2010, 10:47 AM
It's hilarious that it's now the All-Star Break and the Cubs have released it's 2011 schedule. Are you ****ing kidding me, seriously? 2011? Who gives a ****!
The Cubs have not released their schedule. The article just highlights a bunch of notable series on the Red Sox' 2011 schedule.

PaleHoser
07-12-2010, 10:55 AM

Cub fans might. Their season is over. "Wait 'til next year".

white sox bill
07-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Cub fans might. Their season is over. "Wait 'til next year".

Reminds me of the old joke about the difference between Sox fans and cub fans: Sox fans say anyone can have a bad year, Cub fans say anyone can have a bad century.

russ99
07-12-2010, 11:05 AM
"Cubbies" does annoy me, but it's not even a contest compared to how much I loathe that idiotic song.

Not sure if it's so much the tune, that they play it all the time, or that they imply that they never lose and all of Chicago supports them.

g0g0
07-12-2010, 11:18 AM
How long has inter-league play been around and they are just now getting around to having the Cubs play in Boston?

Ya, you'd think they would have done something in 13 years. I wonder though what other teams haven't played each other in that amount of time (90+ years)? For me it's not the match-up it's the amount of time the two teams had had without seeing each other there.

Iwritecode
07-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Ya, you'd think they would have done something in 13 years. I wonder though what other teams haven't played each other in that amount of time (90+ years)? For me it's not the match-up it's the amount of time the two teams had had without seeing each other there.

I thought that when inter-league first started, they were going to rotate which teams they faced every year while keeping the "natural" rivalries every year. Cubs-Sox, Reds-Indians, Mets-Yankees, etc...

Yet somehow the Sox end up playing the Pirates every single year. Not that I'm complaining. :cool:

SephClone89
07-12-2010, 11:38 AM
I really hope we go to St. Louis next year...or the Giants, Mets or Phillies come here.

chisoxfanatic
07-12-2010, 12:27 PM
I really hope we go to St. Louis next year.
I do too...Who else would be interested in going to a game if that were to happen?

Dick Allen
07-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Since interleague play started, the Sox have only played the Mets once, and haven't played them in NY.

BigHurt3515
07-12-2010, 07:46 PM
I do too...Who else would be interested in going to a game if that were to happen?

Since I live in St. Louis I plan on going to all 3 games if they were here next year. But after next year Im not sure if I would because I plan on going to college someone in Illinois

RadioheadRocks
07-12-2010, 07:49 PM
I really hope we go to St. Louis next year...or the Giants, Mets or Phillies come here.

Definitely me. Been hoping to see the Sox play the Cards in the new Busch Stadium since it opened, and have always been disappointed when the season schedule is announced.

LongLiveFisk
07-12-2010, 07:52 PM

I would. I haven't been to St Louis since 1988.

Has it changed much since then? :redneck

chisoxfanatic
07-12-2010, 08:41 PM
I would. I haven't been to St Louis since 1988.

Has it changed much since then? :redneck

I've been to St. Louis twice: once in 2002 for Arch Madness, and the other time in 2008 for a Cardinals' game. The downtown seemed a bit better when I went in 2008. I do know they are doing some construction down there from the last time I visited. They were putting in an outdoor park right outside Busch Stadium, and some of the buildings were getting face-lifts. I think they're trying to make things look a bit nicer downtown.

I flew down there, and the whole thing (flight, hotel, ticket, food) cost under $500! I didn't even need to rent a car, as the Metro Link goes from the airport to downtown! It even goes to the Illinois side of the metropolitan area a little bit!

TDog
07-13-2010, 05:33 PM
There are only a few teams that should have IE or EE at the end
(Phillies, Rockies, Yankees). Everyone else has no excuse, IMO.

I was once proofing a sports page in a newspaper before it was about to go out to press and changed "Twinkies" to "Twins" in a caption. The sports reporter who was filling in for his editor argued that that was what people called the Twins. He was quite upset, although I only implied he should develop some journalistic standards.

I don't care that the Cubs are going to be in Boston for three games next year. What I want to know is if the White Sox will be in San Francisco for three games next year.

Nellie_Fox
07-14-2010, 01:19 AM
I was once proofing a sports page in a newspaper before it was about to go out to press and changed "Twinkies" to "Twins" in a caption. The sports reporter who was filling in for his editor argued that that was what people called the Twins. He was quite upset, although I only implied he should develop some journalistic standards.And "Twinkies" is an insult; "Cubbies" is a term of endearment. The equivalent would be "Twinsies."

palehozenychicty
07-14-2010, 01:38 AM
Since interleague play started, the Sox have only played the Mets once, and haven't played them in NY.

I want the Sox to come into Queens too. :(:

TDog
07-14-2010, 02:15 AM
And "Twinkies" is an insult; "Cubbies" is a term of endearment. The equivalent would be "Twinsies."

"Twinsies" sounds fairly insulting as well. I wasn't sure if "Twinkies" might be a derogatory term of endearment, the way Dodgers fans in Brooklyn called their team "Bums," but objective media shouldn't be using terms of endearment either.

MARTINMVP
07-14-2010, 09:50 AM
It will definitely be a conflicting series for the strange hybrid known as Red Cub fans. This bizarre little sub species of Cub Dumb is unfortunately, something native to Chicago only. I can say with almost 99% certainty (and perhaps Fenway can back me up here) that there are no Bostonians that give a hoot about the Cubs nor do they wear combined Cub and Red Sox gear to games. I've been to Fenway Park over a dozen times and have never seen this phenomenon there. However, I see the "B" hat combined with Cubs jerseys and shirts in Chicago more times than I can count. You can call "Red Sox Nation" annoying, loud, obnoxious, or anything else...but I can definitely say that they are too busy with their cold war with the Yankees to notice anything the Chicago NL franchise is doing.

Earlier this year, I went to a Wrigley game with my buddy who still is a diehard Cubs fan. We hopped on the L at State and Harrison St., and the phenomenon that I witnessed was absolutely unbelievable. A legion of Cub fans, all decked out in their Cubs gear, all flocked together - complete strangers all sharing a common love for a team. It was this ride where every single stereotype about the frathouse Cub fan was 100% accurate.

These complete strangers all were passing around a bottle of water... a bottle you know is not water. Who the heck shares their drink around a crowded train with complete strangers?

A few rowdy girls were onboard (one of them was a White Sox fan, wearing some type of combined White Sox/Cubs jersey -- don't ask). One of the girls, a Cubs fan, was literally shouting how she only dates Cubs fans, with the only exception being that she would date a Red Sox fan. I remember one of the guys on the train, then replying, "oh yeah, you gotta love those Red Sox," with the girl replying "I don't know how any Cub fan could not like the Red Sox."

I am not making any of this up. I didn't speak one word... I'm not getting my ass kicked by these Cub fans. My Cub fan buddy, stood there kind of quiet too. When we got off the L, I quietly asked him, "and you still wonder how on earth I could stop loving the Cubs?"

SephClone89
07-15-2010, 01:55 PM
A North Side caller on the Danny Mac Show just called in to talk about Chicago basketball..."the Bullies."

:o:

g0g0
07-15-2010, 02:10 PM
A North Side caller on the Danny Mac Show just called in to talk about Chicago basketball..."the Bullies."

:o:

LOL! I think the last time they were "bullies" was 1998. :wink:

ewokpelts
07-15-2010, 02:27 PM
suprised no one's talking about the proposed change to opening day.

opening day on a friday, and the last game on a wed.

with the playoffs starting on the weekend

beasly213
07-15-2010, 02:32 PM

Would this be across MLB? If so I would love it for the Sox to open on a Friday Night.

ewokpelts
07-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Would this be across MLB? If so I would love it for the Sox to open on a Friday Night.i imagine.

more likely the sox open at 3:05pm, assuming they open at home on april 1

SephClone89
07-15-2010, 02:37 PM

Would make it a lot easier for me to make it up from school. Sounds good to me.

g0g0
07-15-2010, 03:46 PM

I like it! Sounds like a good fit for starting the playoffs in a timely manner.

Rockabilly
07-15-2010, 03:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quKraecWnTs&feature=related

g0g0
07-15-2010, 03:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quKraecWnTs&feature=related

What does this have to do with schedules?? :scratch: :?:

ewokpelts
07-15-2010, 05:23 PM
I like it! Sounds like a good fit for starting the playoffs in a timely manner.the article states that the playoffs CANT end in november if this is approved.