PDA

View Full Version : Cliff Lee reportedly to the Yankees

cws05champ
07-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Per Buster Olney and NY Daily News

http://twitter.com/buster_espn

It's not done yet, but supposed to be close. For Jesus Montero, and other prospects.

Over used barf tag not used....but that's the sentiment.

07-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Well he could have ended up in Minny, so this is good news.

Montero is a BIG price to pay coming from the Yankees. Especially with Posada winding down his career.

Great trade for Seattle if it holds true.

Chez
07-09-2010, 10:47 AM
I didn't think the Sox had enough to offer to get him so I guess I'm ok that the Twins didn't get him either. Yankees will probably now shed Javy.

Rockabilly
07-09-2010, 10:47 AM
great trade for the Yanks.. They will be tough to beat in the playoffs.

Rockabilly
07-09-2010, 10:51 AM
rumor has it that the Yanks are also going after Jayson Werth

Palehose Pete
07-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Awesome. Can the MLB please consider a hard salary cap?

Also, the Mariners are a dumb, dumb, dumb franchise.

07-09-2010, 10:54 AM

Why are the Mariners dumb? They went out and signed some good FA's and things didn't work out for them.

Montero is a top notch catching prospect who could be behind the plate for them for the next decade. He is unquestionably better than Ramos or Flowers or anything else the White Sox or Twins were offering.

How does any of that make them a dumb franchise?

Palehose Pete
07-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Maybe the Mariners could have gotten more from the Yankees. Maybe not. But I think maybe I'm just p.o.'d that, once again, the Yankees are going to be able to get the talent that they'll need to win another WS title. My guess is that the Yankees will also take on Lee's salary, which is something that they can afford to do.

october23sp
07-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Better the Yankees than Twins I guess.

sox1970
07-09-2010, 11:02 AM
So his debut in a Yankees uniform could be in the All Star Game. Don't know if that's ever happened before.

(I think part of the deal is that he can't face the Mariners this weekend.)

sox1970
07-09-2010, 11:05 AM
A snag you say?

http://twitter.com/KenDavidoff/status/18124313741

Jerko
07-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Ah Lee and Sabathia together again.

cards press box
07-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Montero is a top notch catching prospect who could be behind the plate for them for the next decade. He is unquestionably better than Ramos or Flowers or anything else the White Sox or Twins were offering.

I'm not familiar with Montero or Ramos. Why is Montero unquestionably better than Ramos or Tyler Flowers? I'm not saying that he isn't but, you know, the Yankees have a long history of overhyping their prospects to drive up their value for potential mid-season or off-season trades.

Ah Lee and Sabathia together again.

First, LBJ leaves the Cavs for the Miami Heat and if this rumored deal with the Yankees happens, then Indians fans can see Lee and Sabathia with the Yankees.

This has not been a good 48 hours for Cleveland sports fans.

Over By There
07-09-2010, 11:15 AM
So his debut in a Yankees uniform could be in the All Star Game. Don't know if that's ever happened before.

(I think part of the deal is that he can't face the Mariners this weekend.)

In 2003 (or '05?), did Carl Everett appear in the ASG in a Sox uni? I want to say the timing on that was very close.

TheOldRoman
07-09-2010, 11:23 AM
In 2003 (or '05?), did Carl Everett appear in the ASG in a Sox uni? I want to say the timing on that was very close.Yes. This has happened several times, including in 2004 when Carlos Beltran got traded to the Astros after (I think) getting voted a starter. He wore an Astros uni, but since he was switching leagues and the teams were already picked, he wasn't allowed to play in the game.

07-09-2010, 11:29 AM
I'm not familiar with Montero or Ramos. Why is Montero unquestionably better than Ramos or Tyler Flowers? I'm not saying that he isn't but, you know, the Yankees have a long history of overhyping their prospects to drive up their value for potential mid-season or off-season trades.

Baseball America rates Jesus Montero as the #4 Propect in all of minor league baseball (Heyward and Strasburg were #1, #2).

Ramos and Flowers didn't even crack the top 50.

Montero is projected to be the best out of the young catcher group that includes Buster Posey and Carlos Santana. I would say Seattle is getting a great return.

DumpJerry
07-09-2010, 11:37 AM
great trade for the Yanks.. They will be tough to beat in the playoffs.

A salary cap is the worst thing for professional sports.

So the Yankees spend all the money in the world to get the "best" players. How many World Series titles has that earned them in the past ten years? Two. How many ALDSes did they win in the past ten years? Four out of nine trips to the ALDS.

You still need chemistry and luck. Money cannot buy either one of those.

DirtySox
07-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Supposedly Montero, Adams, and another prospect.

07-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Supposedly Montero, Adams, and another prospect.

Am I crazy or is that a pretty incredible haul for the Mariners? Who is going to be the Yankees catcher when Posada is gone? I guess they can just go out and buy the best one on the market.

Coops4Aces
07-09-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm still taking the field to win it all. Sox can knock them off in a series, no doubt.

hawkjt
07-09-2010, 12:23 PM
From a Sox standpoint, it could be worse.

1. Lee not going to the Twins gives the Sox a much better shot at winning the division.
2. Lee leaving the M's means the Sox dodge facing him probably twice in 10 days at the end of July when the Sox play the M's in two series.
3. Lee going to the Yanks might mean they pull away from the Red Sox, who the Sox play 8 times in the last 30 days....hopefully the Red Sox are dead already,and not needing to win those games to catch the yanks.

The Sox would face Lee the max of once when the Yanks come to Soxpark in late August.....then

possibly in the playoffs..we will face that bridge at that time..I just want to be in the hunt come October. Danks could shut the Yanks down and Sox could beat Lee and Yanks 1-0:D:

thomas35forever
07-09-2010, 01:24 PM
:gah:

The rich get richer, which I hate. Should we just hand the Commissioner's Trophy to the Yanks again?

DumpJerry
07-09-2010, 01:29 PM
:gah:

The rich get richer, which I hate. Should we just hand the Commissioner's Trophy to the Yanks again?
How does this guarantee them a World Series championship? The same tired argument is trotted out every time the Yankees land a really good player and yet, other teams usually win the Series. Funny how that works.

october23sp
07-09-2010, 01:34 PM
How does this guarantee them a World Series championship? The same tired argument is trotted out every time the Yankees land a really good player and yet, other teams usually win the Series. Funny how that works.

There's no changing your mind so I won't even try. Yes they only have 2 titles in the last 10 years, but how many times have the Pirates had a winning season in that same span? How many playoff appearances do the Blue Jays and Orioles have? Yeah, once you are in the playoffs you need more than just talent. But you can buy your way into the playoffs.

There should be a salary cap.

Craig Grebeck
07-09-2010, 01:39 PM
There's no changing your mind so I won't even try. Yes they only have 2 titles in the last 10 years, but how many times have the Pirates had a winning season in that same span? How many playoff appearances do the Blue Jays and Orioles have? Yeah, once you are in the playoffs you need more than just talent. But you can buy your way into the playoffs.

Gonna have to do better than that. You cited, like, three cases. The Jays not making the playoffs has a whole hell of a lot more to do with alignment than salary cap.

Craig Grebeck
07-09-2010, 01:40 PM
And also, it was a trade. How does this prompt discussion of a salary cap?

DumpJerry
07-09-2010, 01:50 PM

I have two words for you: Minnesota Twins.

And also, it was a trade. How does this prompt discussion of a salary cap?
Because whomever gets him will have to sign him to an extension to make the trade final.

Craig Grebeck
07-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Because whomever gets him will have to sign him to an extension to make the trade final.
Link? I've yet to see this.

35th and Shields
07-09-2010, 01:52 PM

While I will agree with you to an extent, I truly believe a big reason the Yanks didn't "buy" more champioships then they have is because of steroids. Many of the players they brought in (Giambi, Pavano, Wright, etc.) were all expected to play a big role, but simply didn't repeat their prior success. Was it steroids? Maybe, maybe not but I'd be willing to bet in few cases it was. The fact is that were stuck with these big deals and couldn't do a whole lot and we saw a period where they had a HUGE payroll and very little in results.

Now the Yanks are signing clean, proven players (CC, Burnett, Tex, etc) and no one else can compete with that money spent.

In a cap world your teams get gutted by not being able to hold on to all your good players. In the MLB your team gets gutted by the Yankees.

DumpJerry
07-09-2010, 01:57 PM
Link? I've yet to see this.
If you think the Mariners are going to get the haul they look like they are getting without the Yanks having a 72 hour signing period, you're very naive. Deals for players in Lee's situation (stud in a contract year) almost always include a signing period otherwise the players sent to the team are not worth it.

Lee's value is much, much higher as a long term player vs. a rental this year.

DumpJerry
07-09-2010, 01:59 PM
In a cap world your teams get gutted by not being able to hold on to all your good players. In the MLB your team gets gutted by the Yankees.
What team has been gutted by the Yankees?

The only team that I can think of that has been gutted by another is the Pirates by the Cubs. A whole lot of good it has done the Cubs.

DSpivack
07-09-2010, 01:59 PM

Without a salary cap, in the 00s baseball saw more different teams win the World Series and make the World Series than any sport.

DumpJerry
07-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Without a salary cap, in the 00s baseball saw more different teams win the World Series and make the World Series than any sport.
:thumbsup:

Tragg
07-09-2010, 02:32 PM
The problem as I see it, is demonstrated by looking at Toronto and Cleveland's and even the Marlins; response to having teams extremely competitive and sometimes championship teams that sold out their stadiums: they tore down their championship team piece by piece.

That says that they can make as much money fielding crap in front of a 1/3 filled stadium as they can fielding a competitive team that sells out their stadium. Look at Cleveland...whenever they get close, they sell off again.
If that's the economic reality, then this is what we are going to get. I don't think a salary cap will change that.

I SUSPECT that the problem is the massive disparity in broadcast revenues between the teams.

Foulke You
07-09-2010, 02:52 PM
From a Sox standpoint, it could be worse.

1. Lee not going to the Twins gives the Sox a much better shot at winning the division.
2. Lee leaving the M's means the Sox dodge facing him probably twice in 10 days at the end of July when the Sox play the M's in two series.
3. Lee going to the Yanks might mean they pull away from the Red Sox, who the Sox play 8 times in the last 30 days....hopefully the Red Sox are dead already,and not needing to win those games to catch the yanks.

The Sox would face Lee the max of once when the Yanks come to Soxpark in late August.....then

possibly in the playoffs..we will face that bridge at that time..I just want to be in the hunt come October. Danks could shut the Yanks down and Sox could beat Lee and Yanks 1-0:D:
Thanks Hawkjt and DumpJerry...I was feeling a little down after hearing the Yanks got Lee but this thread has made me feel better about it. Lee not ending up on Detroit or Minnesota is simply good news for us because there just aren't that many ace pitchers on the market right now and this one looks to be off the board. I also completely forgot that we likely miss two starts against Lee now this month.

I think this news is the worst for Rays fans. The Rays have historically struggled against left handed pitching and now the Yanks can run Pettite, Lee, and Sabathia out there in a series against them.

Zisk77
07-09-2010, 03:00 PM
An interesting nugget in the twitter was that the PHILLIES want to deal IBANEZ instead of werth...he'd look good as our Dh, no? Especially if they ate some of his salary.

HomeFish
07-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Thank god he's not going (back) to the AL Central

SoxSpeed22
07-09-2010, 03:14 PM
It looks the Mariners got a pretty good haul in this trade. All three of these guys can be starters in a couple of years while Montero can be their RBI man. Just happy the Twins didn't get him.
Also, Ibanez would make for a good DH.

Palehose Pete
07-09-2010, 03:14 PM

That's the Wild Card at work, which has been nice for the very reason that you mention, not the lack of a salary cap.

Wild-card team Series record Playoffs
Florida Marlins 6-0 Won 1997 World Series and 2003 World Series
Anaheim Angels 3-0 Won 2002 World Series
Boston Red Sox 6-6 Won 2004 World Series[1]
New York Mets 3-2 Lost 2000 World Series to New York (AL), 4-1[2]
San Francisco Giants 2-1 Lost 2002 World Series to Anaheim, 4-3
Houston Astros 3-2 Lost 2005 World Series to Chicago (AL), 4-0[3]
Detroit Tigers 2-1 Lost 2006 World Series to St. Louis Cardinals, 4-1
Colorado Rockies 2-3 Lost 2007 World Series to Boston Red Sox, 4-0[4]
Baltimore Orioles 1-1 Lost 1996 ALCS
Seattle Mariners 1-1 Lost 2000 ALCS
New York Yankees 0-3 Lost 1995 American League Division Series[5]
Los Angeles Dodgers 0-2 Lost 1996 National League Division Series[6]
Chicago Cubs 0-1 Lost 1998 National League Division Series
Oakland Athletics 0-1 Lost 2001 American League Division Series
St. Louis Cardinals 0-1 Lost 2001 National League Division Series
Milwaukee Brewers 0-1 Lost 2008 National League Division Series

pythons007
07-09-2010, 03:18 PM
So is this trade final? The last couple posts have made it sound that way, but I haven't read anywhere that it is.

35th and Shields
07-09-2010, 03:19 PM
What team has been gutted by the Yankees?

The only team that I can think of that has been gutted by another is the Pirates by the Cubs. A whole lot of good it has done the Cubs.
Indians, Texas, Oakland, Marlins, and now the Mariners it appears. Teams that can't afford to keep all their top players.

I'm so grateful that I'm a Sox fan. Can you imagine having to be a Rays, Jays, or Orioles fan? How many playoff appearences between them in the last 10 years?

pythons007
07-09-2010, 03:37 PM
Indians, Texas, Oakland, Marlins, and now the Mariners it appears. Teams that can't afford to keep all their top players.

I'm so grateful that I'm a Sox fan. Can you imagine having to be a Rays, Jays, or Orioles fan? How many playoff appearences between them in the last 10 years?

Let's take a look at the Yankee Roster:
C Posada - home grown
1B Teixeira - FA signing from the Angles
2B Cano - home grown
3B A. Rodriguez - traded from the Rangers
SS Jeter - home grown
LF Gardner - home grown
CF Granderson - traded from the Tigers
RF Swisher - traded from the White Sox

SP Sabathia - FA signing from the Brewers
SP Burnett - FA signing from the Blue Jays
SP Vazquez - traded from the Braves
SP Hughes - home grown
SP Pettitte - home grown

RP Rivera - home grown

Texas' only option with A-Rod was to trade him to the Yanks or Red Sox. Seriously, who else was going to be able to afford that god awful contract. They get all the FA because throw boat load after boat load of money at them.

I hate the Yankees, and I still remember when I was in middle school I used to like them. That was almost 20 years ago, before they started to buy everyone and buy the playoffs.

Red Barchetta
07-09-2010, 03:45 PM
C Posada - home grown
2B Cano - home grown
SS Jeter - home grown
LF Gardner - home grown

SP Hughes - home grown
SP Pettitte - home grown

RP Rivera - home grown

Texas' only option with A-Rod was to trade him to the Yanks or Red Sox. Seriously, who else was going to be able to afford that god awful contract. They get all the FA because throw boat load after boat load of money at them.

I hate the Yankees, and I still remember when I was in middle school I used to like them. That was almost 20 years ago, before they started to buy everyone and buy the playoffs.

It's easy to "hate" the Yankees based on their payroll, however as your post points out they have 4 starting position players from their system and 2 of their 5 starting pitchers from their system.

Compared to the SOX, we have 2 starting position players from our system (Ramirez and Beckham - not couting Viciedo yet) and 1 starting pitcher (Beuhrle). It appears the Yankees' success is also the result of their farm system and not just the $$$ they spend on the FAs.

doublem23
07-09-2010, 03:49 PM
If you think the Mariners are going to get the haul they look like they are getting without the Yanks having a 72 hour signing period, you're very naive. Deals for players in Lee's situation (stud in a contract year) almost always include a signing period otherwise the players sent to the team are not worth it.

That's not true at all, I can think of plenty of guys dealt in contract years who did not immediately sign an extension.

mjmcend
07-09-2010, 03:52 PM

While they will probably sign him to a deal before the year is over, the Yankees already were the odds on favorite to acquire his services in the offseason.

pythons007
07-09-2010, 03:54 PM
It's easy to "hate" the Yankees based on their payroll, however as your post points out they have 4 starting position players from their system and 2 of their 5 starting pitchers from their system.

Compared to the SOX, we have 2 starting position players from our system (Ramirez and Beckham - not couting Viciedo yet) and 1 starting pitcher (Beuhrle). It appears the Yankees' success is also the result of their farm system and not just the $$$ they spend on the FAs.

But it's also the reason they have a farm system. When they make trades, they aren't trading their best prospects because they are usually taking on the full salary of the players. When they traded for A-Rod they gave up Soriano who was a big time player at the time and threw in some other prospects as well, but since then they haven't broken the bank.

Other clubs don't have that luxery. If other teams want to make a splash in trades they need to make available their top prospects to acquire top talent.

However, if the Yanks go out and get Lee which it sounds like thats what's going to happen, they need to give up pospects. But I'm sure they'll be the front runners to sign Lee to an massive extention as well.

Hitmen77
07-09-2010, 03:56 PM
I'm glad he's not going to the Twins, but :puke:. This is just the Yankees muscling their way to another championship thanks to them being so much richer than other teams. Yes, this is just a trade, but they have money to burn to pour into high prices free agents AND to pour into their farm system.

Ken Burns better start drafting up an 11th inning of this Baseball series about the Yankees mystique and how they magically always seem to have the best players. How do they keep doing it? They're simply amazing! Isn't major league baseball great and magical the way that the Yankees are so much richer than everyone else?

A salary cap is the worst thing for professional sports.

So the Yankees spend all the money in the world to get the "best" players. How many World Series titles has that earned them in the past ten years? Two. How many ALDSes did they win in the past ten years? Four out of nine trips to the ALDS.

You still need chemistry and luck. Money cannot buy either one of those.

I think the NHL and the NBA have shown that a salary cap doesn't make things better. I'm not for a hard cap - I don't want to see MLB become a joke like the NBA. But there needs to be some sort of leveling of the playing field to bring the competitiveness in the American League back to something realistic. The problem I have is that, for anyone who thinks the Red Sox are too rich and spend too much money, the Yankees have a payroll that's $80 million higher than the freaking Red Sox. Sheesh, that's most of the White Sox team payroll for just how much more the Yankees spend over the big-spending/rich Red Sox.

Baseball already has a luxury tax, but it isn't slowing the Yankees down. Maybe it needs to be beefed up. ....and no, I don't think that money should just go to low payroll teams who then don't spend it. It should be "use it or lose it" if teams like the Marlins are getting luxury tax benefits from MLB.

C Posada - home grown
2B Cano - home grown
SS Jeter - home grown
LF Gardner - home grown

SP Hughes - home grown
SP Pettitte - home grown

RP Rivera - home grown

A good number of home grown guys, but also a testament to the Yankees able to spend like crazy on free agents and also pour money into their farm system. It also helps that they can easily lock up any good home grown guys once they become eligible for arbitration and free agency.

Plus those home grown guys don't get them a championship unless they can spend without limit and buy a Cy Young Award caliber pitcher and an MVP caliber slugger.

Paulwny
07-09-2010, 03:58 PM

While I agree that NY has a good farm, without ARod, Teixeira, Sabathia and Burnett, they might be just an above average team. These 4 players earn ~ $89 mil/yr. The vast majority of teams could't afford all 4 of these players.

sox1970
07-09-2010, 04:00 PM
No Deal.

http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/18143663327

http://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/18143120024

Hitmen77
07-09-2010, 04:01 PM
No Deal.

http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/18143663327

http://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/18143120024

I hope the "other team" that has jumped in is from the NL.

sox1970
07-09-2010, 04:02 PM
I hope the "other team" that has jump in is from the NL.

Let's Go Mets.

chisox616
07-09-2010, 04:02 PM
...how on earth could they refuse that trade. The Yankees grossly overpaid for a few month rental, giving away their best prospect, one that fits the Mariners' needs?

What went wrong? Is Montero not that great defensive-wise? I don't see the concern as really, offense is the M's problem...

pythons007
07-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Baseball already has a luxury tax, but it isn't slowing the Yankees down. Maybe it needs to be beefed up. ....and no, I don't think that money should just go to low payroll teams who then don't spend it. It should be "use it or lose it" if teams like the Marlins are getting luxury tax benefits from MLB.

So what happens to the money that isn't used? It would have to go somewhere? Where would that be, it sure as hell isn't going back to the Yankees!

pythons007
07-09-2010, 04:07 PM
...how on earth could they refuse that trade. The Yankees grossly overpaid for a few month rental, giving away their best prospect, one that fits the Mariners' needs?

What went wrong? Is Montero not that great defensive-wise? I don't see the concern as really, offense is the M's problem...

I read that his defense isn't that great. He's working on it and improving but could be a 1B, if he doesn't fulfill to be a catcher. Either way, he sounds like a solid bat projected .275 and 20+ homers

Hitmen77
07-09-2010, 04:10 PM
So what happens to the money that isn't used? It would have to go somewhere? Where would that be, it sure as hell isn't going back to the Yankees!

Good question. Maybe such a system isn't practical. I'm just trying to think of possible fixes other than a salary cap (bad) and the current system of the Yankees spending being off the chart even compared to the nearly off the chart Red Sox (also bad).

pythons007
07-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Good question. Maybe such a system isn't practical. I'm just trying to think of possible fixes other than a salary cap (bad) and the current system of the Yankees spending being off the chart even compared to the nearly off the chart Red Sox (also bad).

Maybe, you raise the luxery tax and calculate larger chunks going to the bigger and mid tier market teams and less going toward the smaller market teams. Maybe, there is a way to use that excess money if not used to reduce ticket prices across the board. Helping fans afford some of these high priced tickets. Which would help out the team itself.

sox1970
07-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Rangers are on it.

http://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/18144242737

Paulwny
07-09-2010, 04:17 PM

Take the money back and split it up to the low payroll teams who do spend the money.

cards press box
07-09-2010, 04:25 PM
I hope the "other team" that has jumped in is from the NL.

It would be ironic if the NL team were the Phillies.

Rangers are on it.

http://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/18144242737

If the Rangers get him, Nolan Ryan will certainly try to keep him. Lee is from Arkansas and may find the up and coming Rangers to be appealing. For the sake of keeping the Yankees from becoming an uber-squad with a $300 million payroll,* I hope that the Rangers do sign Lee if they acquire him now.

*Does anyone other than some native New Yorkers and annoying front running fans (like, for example, LeBron James: a huge fan of both the Yanks and the Dallas Cowboys) want to see 29 major league teams become the Washington Generals to the Yankees' Harlem Globetrotters.

russ99
07-09-2010, 04:28 PM
If the Rangers get him, Nolan Ryan will certainly try to keep him. Lee is from Arkansas and may find the up and coming Rangers to be appealing. For the sake of keeping the Yankees from becoming an uber-squad with a $300 million payroll, I hope that the Rangers do sign Lee if they acquire him now.

Interesting. A rumor is the Rangers are willing to deal Smoak in a Lee deal.

I doubt that would be the case if this were just a rental. But the Rangers have done stupid things like that before, so who knows.

Rdy2PlayBall
07-09-2010, 04:33 PM
Could the Sox now have the opportunity to trade back for Vazquez? I know he sucks in big games... but it could be a good 3-5th starter depending on how well Floyd and Garcia do. Either way, wouldn't an inning eater be an improvement over Hudson? Or do the Yankees still want him? I haven't really read into this much, just the first thing that came to mind since we can't get Lee anymore.

badgerboy1848
07-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Anyone besides the twins or tigers:(:

Sockinchisox
07-09-2010, 04:44 PM
FWIW, Smoak is not in the Rangers lineup.

sox1970
07-09-2010, 04:46 PM
FWIW, Smoak is not in the Rangers lineup.

I don't see how Lee can pitch tonight. They want to get this deal done now. Both sides want it done now. This is good stuff.

sox102
07-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Could the Sox now have the opportunity to trade back for Vazquez? I know he sucks in big games...

You answered your own question.

Pablo_Honey
07-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Could the Sox now have the opportunity to trade back for Vazquez? I know he sucks in big games... but it could be a good 3-5th starter depending on how well Floyd and Garcia do. Either way, wouldn't an inning eater be an improvement over Hudson? Or do the Yankees still want him? I haven't really read into this much, just the first thing that came to mind since we can't get Lee anymore.
Javy's proven himself to be an NL pitcher who can't pitch in pressure situations with an AL team. We are in the race and I'm sure I'm not the only one who would pay all our life's earnings to keep Javy away from this team as far as possible unless when he's facing us in which case we welcome him back with open arms. Hudson's no sure thing but let's just see how the kid pitches first. If he struggles, then we should pick up a veteran on the deadline. Even then, I don't want Javy on this team.

Rdy2PlayBall
07-09-2010, 04:51 PM
You answered your own question.I figured Big Game Freddy could make up for it. Little game Javy could face the Orioles, Royals, and those teams, to give everyone rest. You can win in the playoffs without using your 5th starter.
I guess your right though... we probably need more than an inning eater, and I doubt the Yankees would eat the contract. It was just a thought. :P

sox1970
07-09-2010, 05:08 PM
So change the title. :shrug:

Yankees are stuck with Javy.

DumpJerry
07-09-2010, 05:14 PM
So change the title. :shrug:

Yankees are stuck with Javy.
Or, go to the new thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=121644).

thomas35forever
07-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Thank God the Yankees aren't getting him. That is all.

spawn
07-09-2010, 05:36 PM
Cliff Lee is going to the Rangers, so this thread is no longer needed.