PDA

View Full Version : I hate to be the one who says this, but...

HomeFish
07-09-2010, 03:38 AM
I'm not sure that Peavy's injury (which, let's assume, ends his season) is necessarily the death knell that a bunch of people at WSI say it is.

Ultimately, Peavy pitches only every 5 days. Some other things are more relevant. For instance:

Buehrle, Floyd, and Gavin (3/5ths of our games) are each having sub-par seasons. If they can return to their past success by progressing to the norm, this far outweighs the loss of Peavy. If they can't, then continued mediocrity from all three of them probably would have doomed us even with an awesome Peavy. Quentin, Pierre, and Beckham are also operating below what they're capable of. The same logic applies to these three. If they become awesome, that helps us every day. If they continue to underperform (or worse, Konerko and Rios start to underperform), then we are doomed, Peavy or no.

The AL Central is shaping up to be a tough race that may come down to a tiebreaker again, and I don't think we're the favorites to win it. But I do think that there are many factors in the AL Central race that far outweigh Peavy in importance, and some of those COULD break our way.

Sam Spade
07-09-2010, 03:43 AM
Anyone who posts here with any regularity will find himself doubting the sincerity of the thread title.

BigHurt3515
07-09-2010, 03:55 AM
I'm not sure that Peavy's injury (which, let's assume, ends his season) is necessarily the death knell that a bunch of people at WSI say it is.

Ultimately, Peavy pitches only every 5 days. Some other things are more relevant. For instance:

Buehrle, Floyd, and Gavin (3/5ths of our games) are each having sub-par seasons. If they can return to their past success by progressing to the norm, this far outweighs the loss of Peavy. If they can't, then continued mediocrity from all three of them probably would have doomed us even with an awesome Peavy. Quentin, Pierre, and Beckham are also operating below what they're capable of. The same logic applies to these three. If they become awesome, that helps us every day. If they continue to underperform (or worse, Konerko and Rios start to underperform), then we are doomed, Peavy or no.

The AL Central is shaping up to be a tough race that may come down to a tiebreaker again, and I don't think we're the favorites to win it. But I do think that there are many factors in the AL Central race that far outweigh Peavy in importance, and some of those COULD break our way.

Alright whos Floyd and whos Gavin?? I know a Gavin Floyd we have and he doesnt count as 2 pitchers.

whitesox4eva
07-09-2010, 04:06 AM
Alright whos Floyd and whos Gavin?? I know a Gavin Floyd we have and he doesnt count as 2 pitchers.

I was thinking the same thing...not sure how you can typo that. :scratch: lol :tongue:

BarbG
07-09-2010, 04:13 AM

LOL you beat me to it!!!!! :smile:

07-09-2010, 04:45 AM

Nice work.

DrCrawdad
07-09-2010, 08:12 AM
I believe that Dan Hudson will do well filling in for Peavy.

EnglishChiSox
07-09-2010, 08:15 AM
The Sox can win the division without Peavy, I don't think they can win in the playoffs without him though.

DumpJerry
07-09-2010, 08:20 AM

I was thinking the same thing...not sure how you can typo that. :scratch: lol :tongue:
Cut him some slack. Homefish was in a deep state of denial and shock as a result of typing something that had a scintilla of optimism about the White Sox.

october23sp
07-09-2010, 08:56 AM
I say at the current rate we will at worst go 3-2 every 5 games. Throw in a couple 4-1's and 5-0's and we look pretty good. That's just how I see it with our starting pitching.

They will give us a great chance to win 3 games out of 5. Maybe as much as 4 if Garcia keeps it up.

kufram
07-09-2010, 08:57 AM

I love this post. It reflects the way I've felt about this team's offense all year and especially since the pitching became awesome and Peavy was just one part of that.

doublem23
07-09-2010, 08:59 AM
The Sox can win the division without Peavy, I don't think they can win in the playoffs without him though.

If Freddy can make it through the season I think pitching-wise, we're OK for the play-offs (huge if, though), but if we make it that far, we still are going to need a bat. I don't think you can hold the Red Sox or Yankees to 3 runs or fewer 3 out of 5 or 4 out of 7 times.

Nelfox02
07-09-2010, 09:03 AM
I keep trying to tell myself this, but you look at the way he was trending his last few starts and you started to say "alright, this was the ace type guy we cheered about getting last July---now finally turning it on in games that count"

I still say we have a decent shot now to survive the division (especially if the rumors are true that Lee will not be going to Minn, but the Evil Empire or maybe even the Miami Heat) but in a playoff series how key is that big time shut down pitcher? If you set your rotation for the ALDS to be Burly-Mon, Floyd, Danks, Garcia...........not sure if that gets you out of the first round

ah well, I guess I am getting ahead of myself, worry about the problem the night we clinch

losing Peavy like this is a big hit for us

pythons007
07-09-2010, 09:17 AM

Are you this pessimistic about other things in life? Do you ever have anything positive to say? Can the mods change Homefish's name to Debbie Downer, Dark Cloud 24/7?

At least change the title to "Hey, it's me Homefish. I'm doing it again, just in another thread"

Kilroy
07-09-2010, 09:52 AM

http://www.brownieman.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/jmp1-150x150.jpg

Let's not get ahead of ourselves...

Shoeless_Jim
07-09-2010, 10:13 AM

why not? they only need 4 starters in the playoffs.

they need to get there first.:praying:

beasly213
07-09-2010, 10:18 AM

A quick search on Peavys post season and his over 12 ERA says this statement isn't true.

DumpJerry
07-09-2010, 10:37 AM
A quick search on Peavys post season and his over 12 ERA says this statement isn't true.
:rolleyes:That is based on only two games. One in '05, the other in '06 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/peavyja01.shtml).

EnglishChiSox
07-09-2010, 10:44 AM

4/5 years ago when he was very young.

Of course the Sox have to get there first but Peavy being hurt hurts the team more in the playoffs than the regular season, especially vs the crap of the AL like Baltimore and Seattle

Gavin
07-09-2010, 10:47 AM
In 2004, the White Sox had 3 starting pitchers, Scott Schoenweiss, and the flavor of the week in their rotation and still won 83 games.

tstrike2000
07-09-2010, 10:56 AM
why not? they only need 4 starters in the playoffs.

they need to get there first.:praying:

True, but like was stated earlier in the thread, our run producing would have to be better in the post season. Besides pitching, the offense has been better, but we're still 2nd to last in the division in hits and runs scored. Skewed perhaps by the early season struggles, but going late into the season with .205 Beckham won't help matters.

Chez
07-09-2010, 11:00 AM
I'm convinced Floyd and Danks will pitch well in the 2d half. Even though he's exceeded everyone's wildest expectations, Garcia is still a question mark in my mind to make it through the season healthy -- at least we don't have to worry about his velocity being down! Assuming the bullpen remains intact, I think the key to whether we make the playoffs is Mark Buehrle. We need 9-10 wins from him after break.

beasly213
07-09-2010, 11:00 AM
:rolleyes:That is based on only two games. One in '05, the other in '06 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/peavyja01.shtml).

Yep. And that is what we have to go on and he got rocked both times.

fram40
07-09-2010, 11:05 AM
True, but like was stated earlier in the thread, our run producing would have to be better in the post season. Besides pitching, the offense has been better, but we're still 2nd to last in the division in hits and runs scored. Skewed perhaps by the early season struggles, but going late into the season with .205 Beckham won't help matters.

who's to say a .205 Beckham doesn't hit .450 in the post season? While I probably wouldn't bet on it, stranger things have happened. Like a moribund, dead team suddenly going on a 22 - 5 run. Anything can happen.

I like the possiblilities of the Sox. This team has pitching. Tremendous pitching - even without Peavy. I like their chances to win the division. And if they do - I like their chances in the playoffs. Danks, Floyd and Buerhle are all capable of shutting teams down. Even Garcia. And maybe Hudson turns into Big Game Danny.

Go Sox :bandance:

Iwritecode
07-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Anyone who posts here with any regularity will find himself doubting the sincerity of the thread title.

I believe he's completely sincere. It probably almost killed him to say anything remotely positive about the Sox.

soxlady8
07-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Peavy's injury does STINK. I was hoping for just a slight muscle pull or strain and that did not happen.

However, I do not feel all is lost.

We have four other guys that for the most part have been getting the job done. Tony showed he could go the distance the other evening as a long man.

I am excited to see what Daniel Hudson can do.
I say give the kid the ball and let him at it!

I am not in the mindframe to jump too much into the future as of yet.
June was a good good month and this early part of July has been nice so far. We have alot of fish to fry in the second half.

I choose to be optimistic with our pitching :)

BadBobbyJenks
07-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Are you this pessimistic about other things in life? Do you ever have anything positive to say? Can the mods change Homefish's name to Debbie Downer, Dark Cloud 24/7?

At least change the title to "Hey, it's me Homefish. I'm doing it again, just in another thread"

Of all times to go after Homefish you do it when he downplays the significance of the Peavy injury?:scratch:

DaveFeelsRight
07-09-2010, 01:47 PM

The AL Central is shaping up to be a tough race that may come down to a tiebreaker again, and I don't think we're the favorites to win it. But I do think that there are many factors in the AL Central race that far outweigh Peavy in importance, and some of those COULD break our way.have you been watching the white sox since say the pirates series?

Jurr
07-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Are y'all kidding? Peavy was probably the weakest link amongst our five starters!!!!!!!! He didn't really start rebounding until he faced National League teams.

Yes, Jake Peavy is a good pitcher. Has he been Johan Santana? Nope.

With our bullpen, all we need a fifth starter (Hudson) to do is survive for 6 innings, allowing under 4-5 runs. Keep our team in the game...that's it.

This allows Hudson to get major league seasoning (huge for the future) and keeps things rolling along. If Hudson sucks out loud, then you have to trade for a middle of the road guy. I really doubt he'll be that bad.

If the Sox spend currency (prospects) on a huge starting pitcher, they're dumb. Get another bat. Let Hudson grow at the ML level. Peavy wasn't by any definition the top starter for the Sox. Take the name away and insert stats, and opinions would definitely change.

Ron Karkovice
07-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Of all times to go after Homefish you do it when he downplays the significance of the Peavy injury?:scratch:

haha thats exactly what I thought. I had to reread Homefish's original post to see where he was being overly pessimistic :scratch:

TheVulture
07-09-2010, 03:05 PM
When Freddy came over last summer after recovering from his injuries, he said he felt great and pitched well. During the off-season he said he felt great and was ready to go for 30 starts. Same thing during spring training. All spring and summer, same thing. This is a guy who has been in the majors for 12 years now and obviously knows what he's doing. He knows how to pitch. This isn't a guy with a long history of injuries - he finally hit a wall a couple years ago and has gone through the recovery process. Prior to that, he was always good for 220 innings. He's not pitching over his head, this is vintage Sweaty Freddy we're seeing here. People seem to forget this guy is not some run of mill pitcher we're throwing out there who's just getting lucky.

Maybe, just maybe, he knows what he's talking about when he says he's all good and his arm is sound. I don't recall in the seasons he dealt with his injuries that he claimed to feel better than he has in years. Obviously, any pitcher can go down at any time, but I see no reason to doubt that Freddy is good to go the distance. Especially with Ozzie taking care of him, he has definitely made sure not to push the limits with him and hopefully we'll see the rewards for that in Sept/Oct.

HomeFish
07-09-2010, 03:22 PM
I meant Gavin and Danks, obviously.

PushinWeight
07-09-2010, 03:32 PM
I buy into the line of thinking that Peavy's injury hurts the teams chances of winning in the post season more than it does winning the division.

PhillipsBubba
07-09-2010, 06:15 PM

I agree...the pitching will be fine...I want a bona fide everyday DH...Dunn...Fielder...someone with some pop.

BadBobbyJenks
07-09-2010, 06:18 PM
I meant Gavin and Danks, obviously.

Danks outside on one start has been great all season.

TheVulture
07-09-2010, 06:32 PM
I'm starting to think this injury could be a blessing in disguise, as far as Peavy's future is concerned. Perhaps if he hadn't sustained this injury, he would have suffered a career threatening injury to his wobbly shoulder, which was already questionable considering the events of the last couple of weeks. Maybe this injury will allow him to rest his shoulder, get healthy and come back full strength in the spring.

TheVulture
07-09-2010, 06:33 PM
Danks outside on one start has been great all season.

Maybe he's supposed to be pitching like Koufax?:scratch:

Taliesinrk
07-09-2010, 06:51 PM
Cut him some slack. Homefish was in a deep state of denial and shock as a result of typing something that had a scintilla of optimism about the White Sox.

:thumbsup:

Taliesinrk
07-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Yep. And that is what we have to go on and he got rocked both times.

The other thing I'd state is that (IIRC) he's been pretty mediocre/bad in the WBC, isn't that correct? While it's not the playoffs (and a lot on here don't like it), Peavy gets jacked up for those games and hasn't done very well (from what I remember). IF this is the case (anyone know his track record there?), perhaps he just isn't a big game pitcher? Maybe he's the opposite of Freddy?

goon
07-09-2010, 06:57 PM
Why would you "hate to say" that you don't think Peavy's injury would hurt this team's chance to win the division?

So you would love to say that you don't think they have a chance to win?

Are you not a fan of the team?

Nellie_Fox
07-10-2010, 01:21 AM
I say at the current rate we will at worst go 3-2 every 5 games. Throw in a couple 4-1's and 5-0's and we look pretty good. That's just how I see it with our starting pitching.

They will give us a great chance to win 3 games out of 5. Maybe as much as 4 if Garcia keeps it up.If they go 3-2 the rest of the way, that's 93 wins. Throw in a couple of 4-1 and 5-0 and they wouldn't just look pretty good, they'd be at 99.

thomas35forever
07-10-2010, 01:22 AM
I buy into the line of thinking that Peavy's injury hurts the teams chances of winning in the post season more than it does winning the division.
We can do fine with a four-man rotation. Hell, it worked for us in 2005.

pmck003
07-10-2010, 03:18 AM

The AL Central is shaping up to be a tough race that may come down to a tiebreaker again, and I don't think we're the favorites to win it. But I do think that there are many factors in the AL Central race that far outweigh Peavy in importance, and some of those COULD back our way.

Yes, but what about continuing mediocrity from Floyd, Buehrle and Gavin Floyd (I'll ASSume you meant Danks). I dunno what to think about this situation. The Sox could win; we could win; we could lose; the sox could lose; or the White Sox could win the AL Central.

I might also use the toilet tonight. I might wipe 44 times. Probably keep it around 20 or so though.

Edit: Only ten wipes!