PDA

View Full Version : One player from each team to the ASG - yay or nay?

GoGoCrede
07-08-2010, 11:20 PM
I've been reading a few articles online, and some have expressed their dislike that each team gets at least one player to the ASG. What do you all think of it? Should they do away with it? Or does it make the ASG more interesting for you?

Zakath
07-08-2010, 11:25 PM
If only so that the entire AL roster isn't Yankees and Red Sux.

Otherwise, they could do away with it.

october23sp
07-08-2010, 11:26 PM

I think MLB baseball realizes it would be that, I don't hate it as much as some baseball fans do. I could live with or without it.

Daver
07-08-2010, 11:29 PM
If they are going to the ridiculous rule of awarding home field advantage to the winner then they have to do away with fan voting entirely, and that includes having a player from each team.

voodoochile
07-08-2010, 11:41 PM
I'd rather keep the fan voting and the one from every team and lose the home field in the WS award. Make it the fun exhibition it is supposed to be. Kids deserve the chance to root for a player from their home team.

Coops4Aces
07-08-2010, 11:42 PM
Do away with fan voting and everything will turn out fine.

GoGoCrede
07-08-2010, 11:42 PM

Probably isn't possible to NOT make it mostly Yankee/Red Sox players. Ugh. I wouldn't bother tuning in if not for our Matt. I like having one player from each team. But enough with the fan voting, it's ridiculous.

Coops4Aces
07-09-2010, 12:03 AM
Oh, and this season, I'd prefer to not have anyone there.

GoGoCrede
07-09-2010, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the addition of the poll, mods. :smile:

doublem23
07-09-2010, 01:03 AM
I think they should do away with the 1 from every team rule, though the home team should at least have 1 representative, but they should also cap a max. number of guys that can come from one team.

I think that would do more to increase interest.

doublem23
07-09-2010, 01:04 AM
Do away with fan voting and everything will turn out fine.

Except Joey Votto, basically the most slam-dunk All-Star in the entire NL was also passed over by the players and Charlie Manuel. The only reason he got in was because fans voted him in at the 11th hour.

Boondock Saint
07-09-2010, 01:06 AM
If they are going to the ridiculous rule of awarding home field advantage to the winner then they have to do away with fan voting entirely, and that includes having a player from each team.

This times a hundred.

doublem23
07-09-2010, 01:10 AM
This times a hundred.

I honestly don't think the World Series tie in is a big deal. Is it really honestly that worse of a system than the previous one of just switching leagues every year? The only thing more fair, I guess, would be to award it to the league who had the better interleague record, but even that's disingenuous since not every team players everyone else from the other league. Really, the All-Star Games have been much more entertaining the past few years since the World Series rule went into effect, so I actually kind of like the change. And as long as baseball keeps the 2-3-2 series schedule, it's not like home field is that critical.

Carneyman14
07-09-2010, 01:11 AM
I'd personally like to see Coaches and the AP decide who makes the ASG and let fans vote on the starting lineup and the "last player in". Still keeping the at least 1 player from every team

Boondock Saint
07-09-2010, 01:13 AM
I honestly don't think the World Series tie in is a big deal. Is it really honestly that worse of a system than the previous one of just switching leagues every year? The only thing more fair, I guess, would be to award it to the league who had the better interleague record, but even that's disingenuous since not every team players everyone else from the other league. Really, the All-Star Games have been much more entertaining the past few years since the World Series rule went into effect, so I actually kind of like the change. And as long as baseball keeps the 2-3-2 series schedule, it's not like home field is that critical.

It's not much worse. But it's still bad, and the good choice is an obvious and easy fix. Make the all star game a meaningless exhibition and give the team with the best record home field advantage.

doublem23
07-09-2010, 01:22 AM
It's not much worse. But it's still bad, and the good choice is an obvious and easy fix. Make the all star game a meaningless exhibition and give the team with the best record home field advantage.

Considering how little interleague play there is, that's not really any better of a system, IMO.

The Milkman
07-09-2010, 01:23 AM
No. Only the host team should be guaranteed an all-star representative.

Boondock Saint
07-09-2010, 01:25 AM
Considering how little interleague play there is, that's not really any better of a system, IMO.

I mean overall record.

Sam Spade
07-09-2010, 01:42 AM
I mean overall record.

He knows that. The point is, the record is mostly based on playing in different leagues, so it doesn't really tell you which is the better team and which deserves homefield advantage more.

Ron Karkovice
07-09-2010, 02:43 AM
No. Two words. Robert Fick.

(he was the lone all star rep for the tigers some years back).

Zakath
07-09-2010, 08:38 AM
Probably isn't possible to NOT make it mostly Yankee/Red Sox players. Ugh. I wouldn't bother tuning in if not for our Matt. I like having one player from each team. But enough with the fan voting, it's ridiculous.

Fan voting only put 3 of the 14 Yankees/Red Sux on the team (all 3 were actually Yankees - Cano, Jeter, and Swisher). Thank Girardi and the players for putting the other 11 on the team.

While Manuel gets a lot of crap (and deservedly so) for not picking Votto, he (or the players) only put 2 more Phillies on the NL squad after the voting (Utley was voted on but is on the DL; Halladay and Howard are the other two Phillies).

Gavin
07-09-2010, 09:48 AM
In case you guys didn't notice, the Red Sox and the Yankees are pretty damn good this year.

Just saying..:shrug:

harwar
07-09-2010, 10:22 AM
i remember how excited i was for the all star game before inter league play began .. it doesn't seem the same now especially with so many players from the wealthiest teams being represented so strongly .. i haven't watched in years so i don't really care who plays now, and just think of it as an opportunity for our players to get their heads away from the game for a few days .. gives time for all those nagging injuries to get shuffled to the background also .. just rest,go swimming,get drunk, whatever, and come back ready for the second half .. it has way too many commercials anyway

Boondock Saint
07-09-2010, 10:28 AM
He knows that. The point is, the record is mostly based on playing in different leagues, so it doesn't really tell you which is the better team and which deserves homefield advantage more.

It's a whole hell of a lot better than the annual "Yankee/Red Sox vs. NL" game. A one game exhibition where the fans pick who plays is just about the worst indicator of who deserves home field advantage. At least, if you go with best overall record, you have a 162 game sample size to figure out who's better.

Oblong
07-09-2010, 10:52 AM
I like the rule. The rosters are big enough to warrant it. I'd like to see the selection process modified but I'm not sure how. I like the fans voting for the starters. I like the players voting and I like that the manager can then fill out the rest of the squad. It should be a perk that the WS teams have a better shot at being represented again. It's like a spillover from the previous year's success. Didn't Sox fans think it was cool that you had 7 guys in teh 2006 game? It was like reliving 2005 again one last time.

Maybe eliminate online voting? But that's a huge marketing opportunity so I doubt MLB would do that.

The important thing to remember is that the ASG should no longer be used to measure a player's merit. Don't say "Player A was better than Player B because he made 8 all star games."

Nobody can really agree on what the ASG should be anyway.

khan
07-09-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm in favor of getting rid of the ASG entirely, since it's a waste of time and only artificially-inflated in terms of importance.

Short of that, I favor that ALL the players are put into a single group, and whoever receives the MOST votes in the AL and NL are the team captains.

The team captains then choose sides, regardless of team or league affiliation, just as we did as kids playing a pickup game.

Tragg
07-09-2010, 12:44 PM
I say yea.
I don't see the problem with it. That isn't the r eason Oritz and Swisher are on the all star team.

russ99
07-09-2010, 12:53 PM
The only change IMO should be take the power away from the managers to select reserves.

They pad the roster with their own players, and simply being in the World Series the previous year shouldn't give them that power.

Instead, have Stats Inc., Elias or some other non-preferential group select the best remaining players based on their performance that year after the players select their reserves, and keep the 1 player per team requirement.