PDA

View Full Version : Roy Oswalt

shingo10
07-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Alright, I don't really know much about his situation other than he requested to be traded and maybe the Sox would give up a lot less to get someone like him rather than a Cliff Lee.

I understand that it's not just as simple as going out and getting another pitcher to take Peavy's place and the fact is that Daniel Hudson might give us similar results to Roy Oswalt in the A.L. While it is probably unrealistic to think about getting him it seems like a more feasable option than some of the other scenarios considering he wants to be traded.

Boondock Saint
07-08-2010, 06:50 PM
I don't get why everyone's talking about going for all of these ace-type pitchers. Jake Peavy is coming back eventually.

ilsox7
07-08-2010, 06:57 PM
I don't get why everyone's talking about going for all of these ace-type pitchers. Jake Peavy is coming back eventually.

True, but not until next year.

tm1119
07-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Why dont we see what we have in Hudson before we are ready to replace him? Are his minor league numbers not impressive enough for you?

munchman33
07-08-2010, 07:08 PM

Lee is a rental, that makes more sense.

munchman33
07-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Why dont we see what we have in Hudson before we are ready to replace him? Are his minor league numbers not impressive enough for you?

No, based on his stuff I wouldn't rely on him. He's fine as a fourth or fifth starter on most teams, but not on a team that HAS to get elite starting pitching, which is how we're built.

Boondock Saint
07-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Lee is a rental, that makes more sense.

But you are going to have to give up at least two top prospects to get him, then you're going to end up with the Yankees' crap ass pick in the draft as compensation when Lee signs with them.

tm1119
07-08-2010, 07:29 PM
No, based on his stuff I wouldn't rely on him. He's fine as a fourth or fifth starter on most teams, but not on a team that HAS to get elite starting pitching, which is how we're built.

What are you basing this off of? Because the kid is striking out over a batter an inning in AAA. Take away his 1 horrible start (1in 9er) and his numbers are outrageous. Peavy was certainly improving but he still wasnt elite himself. We need quality starts and I really believe Hudson is more than capable of doing that.

And before you give me Peavy's stats over the past month i am going to counter with the fact that his good starts came against- Cle, CHC, Was, CHC, KC. Not exactly world beaters he managed to pitch well against.

munchman33
07-08-2010, 07:44 PM
What are you basing this off of? Because the kid is striking out over a batter an inning in AAA. Take away his 1 horrible start (1in 9er) and his numbers are outrageous. Peavy was certainly improving but he still wasnt elite himself. We need quality starts and I really believe Hudson is more than capable of doing that.

And before you give me Peavy's stats over the past month i am going to counter with the fact that his good starts came against- Cle, CHC, Was, CHC, KC. Not exactly world beaters he managed to pitch well against.

I'm not basing it off his numbers, I'm basing it off his stuff. The most optimistic scouting reports say he's eventually a three, while most concede his ceiling is 4-6.

SI1020
07-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Hudson averages about 5 and 1/2 innings a start this year. In his last ten starts he has gone 7 innings or more twice. He is 7-2 with a 2.64 ERA in that time so he has been effective, but he definitely needs to show more stamina.

Craig Grebeck
07-08-2010, 07:53 PM
It is all about efficiency, not stamina.

russ99
07-08-2010, 07:57 PM
The word out is the Astros want 3 (close to) big league ready prospects for Oswalt, and it's probably likely they'll have to eat some salary to get that kind of return.

His contract is $15 this year, $16 next year and a $16/$2 club option for 2012 that Oswalt can opt out of. Oswalt also has a full NTC.

One interesting thing in regards to the chances he waives his NTC to come to the Sox is that he's friends with Peavy and he's been quoted that he'd like to be on the same team with him someday.

Craig Grebeck
07-08-2010, 07:58 PM
The word out is the Astros want 3 (close to) big league ready prospects for Oswalt, and it's probably likely they'll have to eat some salary to get that kind of return.

His contract is $15 this year, $16 next year and a $16/$2 club option for 2012 that Oswalt can opt out of. Oswalt also has a full NTC.

One interesting thing in regards to the chances he waives his NTC is that he's friends with Peavy and they want to pitch together someday.
Yeah we ain't got that.

SI1020
07-08-2010, 07:59 PM
It is all about efficiency, not stamina. I'd like a guy who can consistently go 7+ but that's just me. I realize that the complete game is nearly extinct, Cliff Lee's recent starts notwithstanding. I live in minor league land and try to see as many games as possible. I'm very much on the fence about Hudson.

spawn
07-08-2010, 07:59 PM
It is all about efficiency, not stamina.
I agree.

Damn...that's twice in one week. What the hell is wrong with me?!?!

tm1119
07-08-2010, 08:00 PM
I'm not basing it off his numbers, I'm basing it off his stuff. The most optimistic scouting reports say he's eventually a three, while most concede his ceiling is 4-6.

Care to show me these scouting reports that have his ceiling as a 5th or 6th starter? There arent a whole lot on him period, but all of the scouting reports I have seen have him as a solid middle of the rotation starter with possibility as a 2nd starter as the absolute best case scenario. If he can keep his ERA in the 4 range then there is no reason to give up the very few prospects we have to get a rent-a-player. Especially when we still wouldnt be in world series contention with either Lee or Oswalt.

Craig Grebeck
07-08-2010, 08:00 PM
I agree.

Damn...that's twice in one week. What the hell is wrong with me?!?!
Haha.

Kid just needs to learn he's too good to nibble. He's like Danks in that regard.

russ99
07-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Yeah we ain't got that.

Yep, though I'd think something like Flowers, Danks and a good pitching prospect not named Hudson could start things along.

I also think it will take slightly less to land Lee than Oswalt, even though Lee's a younger and better pitcher. Lee's a 3-month rental.

spawn
07-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Haha.

Kid just needs to learn he's too good to nibble. He's like Danks in that regard.
I agree...seriously. Just trust his stuff, and he'll be fine.

Balfanman
07-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Hudson averages about 5 and 1/2 innings a start this year. In his last ten starts he has gone 7 innings or more twice. He is 7-2 with a 2.64 ERA in that time so he has been effective, but he definitely needs to show more stamina.

I thought that they were purposely limiting his innings in the minors so that he would be fresher later in the year. I think that he could of pitched longer if he had to.

tm1119
07-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Yep, though I'd think something like Flowers, Danks and a good pitching prospect not named Hudson could start things along.

I also think it will take slightly less to land Lee than Oswalt, even though Lee's a younger and better pitcher. Lee's a 3-month rental.

You got 1 of those? Cause the White Sox sure dont. It would have to be Flowers, Danks, Morel, and pitching prospect like Upchurch or Holmberg and that MIGHT get it done. Its really sad how easy it would be for pretty much any team to top an offer we can make.

Tragg
07-08-2010, 11:00 PM
I'm always reticent about the Sox using our prospects for these veterans for one reason: we have so few prospects, the ones we have are extremely valuable. We squandered many on just nonsense (like Swisher).

But other organizations like Texas have a ton of prospects. Them, I don't understand.

rdivaldi
07-08-2010, 11:33 PM
I thought that they were purposely limiting his innings in the minors so that he would be fresher later in the year. I think that he could of pitched longer if he had to.

Hudson is on a pretty strict 100 pitch count limit. Unfortunately he's hit that number all too often in the 5th and 6th innings this year.

kaufsox
07-09-2010, 12:21 PM
You got 1 of those? Cause the White Sox sure dont. It would have to be Flowers, Danks, Morel, and pitching prospect like Upchurch or Holmberg and that MIGHT get it done. Its really sad how easy it would be for pretty much any team to top an offer we can make.

Honestly, I don't know if that would get it done :(: Danks doesn't really set the heart a twitter and without Hudson in an offer, would you listen to the Sox? It'd be hard not to think I could get more from a lot of other teams.

russ99
07-09-2010, 01:20 PM
You can forget about Oswalt, he won't accept a trade here or Detroit, according to Rosenthal.

http://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/18136941086

johnnyg83
07-09-2010, 01:26 PM
I agree...seriously. Just trust his stuff, and he'll be fine.

Right. Trust his stuff and don't be afraid to go five or six and let our BP handle it.

Baron
07-09-2010, 01:36 PM
You can forget about Oswalt, he won't accept a trade here or Detroit, according to Rosenthal.

Ive heard this music before from a certain pitcher we got last year.

Balfanman
07-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Hudson is on a pretty strict 100 pitch count limit. Unfortunately he's hit that number all too often in the 5th and 6th innings this year.

At this point though, if Hudson could give us 5 or 6 quality innings per start, I would take that. Consistency would be a plus. That would sure be better than our 5th starter debacle several seasons ago.

BNLSox
07-09-2010, 04:23 PM

He's still bitter we kicked his team's ass in the world series so he doesn't want to join us... and he's worried we'd still find a way to beat him if he was in our division.

Tragg
07-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Let's go all in for another National League ace at an immense contract.

It's going to work one of these times.