PDA

View Full Version : Freddy Garcia

Danielgosox38
07-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Providing Freddy keeps up the good work, he definitely needs to be re-signed. What an awesome comeback year for Freddy. What do you think gets it done to re-sign Freddy?

white sox bill
07-08-2010, 11:48 AM
JR historically doesn't like long term contracts with pitchers, let alone older ones like Freddie. I say 2 yrs is what KW may offer. Will have to wait see how he finishes second half.

doublem23
07-08-2010, 11:57 AM
With Buehrle, Peavy, Floyd, and Danks all under contract for 2011, Hudson's time here is probably going to make the difference if the Sox pursue Freddy for 2011 or not.

Considering the year's he'd had, it's hard not to picture someone overpaying for his services, and as long as Hudson doesn't absolutely BOMB, hard to see a scenario unfold where the Sox keep 6 starters for a year.

Rockabilly
07-08-2010, 12:05 PM
I believe it will be time to let Freddy go after this season because of Buehrle, Peavy, Floyd, Danks and Hudson..

It's time to give the kid a chance. He has nothing left to prove in the minors..

Sockinchisox
07-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Didn't they already promise Sale a shot at the starting rotation next year already?

With him and Hudson I don't think Freddy will be back.

Nelfox02
07-08-2010, 12:21 PM
what about the chances that Peavy may not be ready by the start of next season?

LoveYourSuit
07-08-2010, 12:23 PM
I would hope Buehrle would be willing to take a trade to St Louis this offseason.

soxlady8
07-08-2010, 12:26 PM
I did not think Garcia would be a nine game winner this year so far .
He has pitched his heart out.
If he has a good second half of the season , I think KW should sign him to a one/two year deal. Peavy's injury sounds like a bad one , and he might not be ready for awhile. I think of Garcia as an "insurance run".

kobo
07-08-2010, 12:26 PM
I would hope Buehrle would be willing to take a trade to St Louis this offseason.
To get what in return?

Lillian
07-08-2010, 12:28 PM

Or, the chances that he won't stay healthy, even if he is ready by the start of next season.

Danielgosox38
07-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Or, the chances that he won't stay healthy, even if he is ready by the start of next season.

Exactly.

Pablo_Honey
07-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Well, we would already be crowded with both Hudson and Sale trying to earn a spot on the rotation so if Jake's not healthy by next season, then both youngsters can fill in. If this doesn't work out, we have in-house options in Torres and Marquez.

Why would you wanna get rid of Buehrle? He may have been rather ineffective since the second half of last season but he's the true franchise star of this organization. Despite his struggles, Buehrle still gets the job done. With all his talks about early retirement, we'd better keep him until his contract expires so that he can retire a Sox.

hawkjt
07-08-2010, 12:31 PM
I wish they would extend Freddy a couple more years right now,cheaply.
Same as with Pods last year, the Sox need to move before guys hit the free agency market.
I truly believe that Freddie has mastered the transition from power pitcher to Jamie Moyer-pitcher.
These guys can pitch for a long time,considering less stress on their arms.

I say lock him up, then worry about an excess of starters when it happens. Problem is,as we see this year, you need six,at least, to really handle the inevitable injuries. Sox have been lucky for a long time with MB...all those innings with no injury...but that could end anytime and mess up seasons..you need a plan B.

34 Inch Stick
07-08-2010, 12:44 PM
There is not a chance he will be on the Sox next year. The work he is doing will net him a nice sized contract and the Sox already have enough invested in the pitching staff to only allow for a low ball veteran offers.

He would be a good candidate to offer arbitration.

MountainCur
07-08-2010, 02:33 PM
I don't know about the future, but Garcia's play really takes away some of the sting from losing Peavy.

With Hudson moving up we are where most of us thought we would be at the beginning of the season - 4 solid starters and one somewhat unknown.

soxfanreggie
07-09-2010, 07:24 PM
I hate to think about this, but would the Sox trade MB to the Cards if they know he won't re-sign after 2011? If he wants to finish his career by signing a contract and pitching for them for a couple of seasons (to be close to home), would it be worthwhile to see if we can make a trade that helps us out for the future?

I would love to extend MB at least a year or two, but he's the anti-LeBron. He doesn't care for the spotlight, and I believe he will hang them up with gas left in the tank since he wants to be with his family.

If they think a trade is possible, it would be worthwhile to keep Freddy.

Hartman
07-09-2010, 10:16 PM
C'mon guys, Freddy is having a great year and it was completely unexpected. Time to get some value out of him before he inevitably goes south.

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-09-2010, 10:18 PM
To get what in return?

Pujols

voodoochile
07-09-2010, 10:21 PM
C'mon guys, Freddy is having a great year and it was completely unexpected. Time to get some value out of him before he inevitably goes south.

We are getting value out of him every 5th day...

Are you honestly suggesting that the Sox should trade Freddy for prospects or something else right after losing Peavy for the season and 1/2 game out of first place approaching the All Star break?

If so, congratulations, it's got to be the single most ridiculous suggestion I've ever seen on these forums and yes, that actually says something about the level of ridiculousness in your post...

Tragg
07-09-2010, 10:26 PM
You'll never get much for Freddy. He's a reliable starter, but doesn't look it. He's like a 10 year old car. It's worth a lot more to you as a ride because you drive it and trust it. But try to sell it, and you'll get about 1/4 of what its worth to you.

I'd step out and trade Jenks if I wanted to take a risk.

FielderJones
07-09-2010, 10:45 PM
I'd step out and trade Jenks if I wanted to take a risk.

The Sox don't need to take a risk. With one exception, the pitching staff is ****ing golden.

spongyfungy
07-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Freddy has found new life throwing just throwing off speed stuff. He's prolonging his career and I'm sure it's having less stress on the arm. He's only 33

Hartman
07-10-2010, 07:42 AM
We are getting value out of him every 5th day...

Are you honestly suggesting that the Sox should trade Freddy for prospects or something else right after losing Peavy for the season and 1/2 game out of first place approaching the All Star break?

If so, congratulations, it's got to be the single most ridiculous suggestion I've ever seen on these forums and yes, that actually says something about the level of ridiculousness in your post...

What I meant was get some value out of him for the rest of the season, but I do not think resigning him is the best move.

tick53
07-10-2010, 08:04 AM
Let's see what happens in the second half of the season.

Balfanman
07-10-2010, 09:17 AM

Once again, we have someone thinking that Freddy is going to get hurt and only has a limited amount of time left. I ask why? I am just not getting this line of thought. Freddy is 3 years removed from his surgery and I don't recall him ever missing significant amount of time prior to that. Freddy has no tract record of "inevitably going south" as say Linebrink does.

IMHO, I think that Buerhrle (with how they are babying him) or Floyd (with his hip, which I believe is a congenital condition) have a much higher chance of going down than Freddy does.

doublem23
07-10-2010, 09:34 AM
How are the Sox "babying" Buehrle? He's on pace to throw 210 innings, which would be the 10th straight year he's topped 200.

I don't think they were necessarily limiting his innings earlier this year, he was just pitching like hot garbage.

Buehrle had that magnificient start on Opening Day, but here are his numbers for starts 2-12 this season, which takes us up to June 6, conveniently just before the 11-game win streak.

11 G, 4-7, 63.0 IP, 82 H, 46 R, 42 ER, 18 BB, 27 K, .320 BAA, .361 OBPA, .477 SLGA, 6.00 ERA

Balfanman
07-10-2010, 10:15 AM
How are the Sox "babying" Buehrle? He's on pace to throw 210 innings, which would be the 10th straight year he's topped 200.

I don't think they were necessarily limiting his innings earlier this year, he was just pitching like hot garbage.

Didn't they skip or push back a start or 2 with him earlier? At any rate I know I remember them talking about how they could keep him fresher for the whole season. There has also been talk for the last couple of seasons about arm rest and a stronger conditioning program for him. I also thought that there was talk of him having tests done on his arm / shoulder earlier, when he wasn't pitching well.

I'm not saying that I have heard that he might be hurt, but I just don't get all of the talk about Freddys' health.

voodoochile
07-10-2010, 11:48 AM
What I meant was get some value out of him for the rest of the season, but I do not think resigning him is the best move.

Thank you for clarifying and sorry for jumping on you. I get hypersensitive when people suggest trading off pieces for prospects in the middle of a pennant run...

doublem23
07-10-2010, 12:50 PM
Didn't they skip or push back a start or 2 with him earlier? At any rate I know I remember them talking about how they could keep him fresher for the whole season. There has also been talk for the last couple of seasons about arm rest and a stronger conditioning program for him. I also thought that there was talk of him having tests done on his arm / shoulder earlier, when he wasn't pitching well.

I'm not saying that I have heard that he might be hurt, but I just don't get all of the talk about Freddys' health.

I think that happened once, but again, I think it was more the teams was sensitive to Buehrle's poor start. I mean, before June, how many people thought he might be done? Poor guy's put a lot of miles on that left arm of his.

I agree about Freddy, though, I don't think he's any bigger injury risk than Buehrle, Floyd, or Danks. He's basically just a junkball pitcher now, he doesn't overpower guys the way he did when he came up with Seattle. Only reason to worry about him, IMO, is that at 35, he's the senior member of the pitching staff, but hopefully he's got a little more gas in the tank thanks to the fact that he's only thrown a total of 129 innings in the last 3 years.

Hitmen77
07-10-2010, 01:01 PM
I think that happened once, but again, I think it was more the teams was sensitive to Buehrle's poor start. I mean, before June, how many people thought he might be done? Poor guy's put a lot of miles on that left arm of his.

I agree about Freddy, though, I don't think he's any bigger injury risk than Buehrle, Floyd, or Danks. He's basically just a junkball pitcher now, he doesn't overpower guys the way he did when he came up with Seattle. Only reason to worry about him, IMO, is that at 35, he's the senior member of the pitching staff, but hopefully he's got a little more gas in the tank thanks to the fact that he's only thrown a total of 129 innings in the last 3 years.

Actually, he just turned 34 last month.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=4007

Mohoney
07-11-2010, 04:13 AM
If Freddy takes something like 2 years, $4 million, then by all means sign him. If Hudson wins a starting job next year, then put Freddy in the bullpen.

We're paying a useless pitcher in Linebrink $5 million a year, so why not pay a guy with Freddy's track record $2 million a year?

In fact, why not just offer it right now? It's low risk, high reward.

Balfanman
07-11-2010, 07:25 AM
If Freddy takes something like 2 years, $4 million, then by all means sign him. If Hudson wins a starting job next year, then put Freddy in the bullpen.

We're paying a useless pitcher in Linebrink $5 million a year, so why not pay a guy with Freddy's track record $2 million a year?

In fact, why not just offer it right now? It's low risk, high reward.

With the year Freddy is having I think that he is going to cost a lot more than 2 years / 4 million.

doublem23
07-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Actually, he just turned 34 last month.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=4007

B-R lists his birth year as 1975.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/garcifr03.shtml

Wikipedia lists his birth year as 1974, but on a totally different date.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddy_Garcia

So let's just split the difference and say he's 34.5 :cool: