PDA

View Full Version : Marquez Called Up

ilsox7
07-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Discuss.

EDIT: InsideTheSox

RHP Jeffrey Marquez recalled by #WhiteSox; RHP Jake Peavy on DL with detached latissimus dorsi muscle in right posterior shoulder.

sox1970
He'll be back in Charlotte on Sunday, when Hudson gets called up.

Craig Grebeck
Mop-up until Sunday.

ilsox7
07-07-2010, 04:12 PM
The lack of confidence of KW that our starters cannot go 9 innings disturbs me.

TomBradley72
07-07-2010, 04:20 PM
The Swisher deal finally pays off!

(mostly joking, I'm glad he's gone)

Rockabilly
07-07-2010, 04:35 PM
The Swisher deal finally pays off!

(mostly joking, I'm glad he's gone)

If he had Swisher, We wouldn't have to make a trade for another lefty bat though.

balke
07-07-2010, 04:48 PM
If he had Swisher, We wouldn't have to make a trade for another lefty bat though.

If he played like he did when he was here - the Sox would. He sucked.

october23sp
07-07-2010, 05:02 PM

Swisher had the worst BA in the league when he was with us. Glad we got rid of that guy.

doublem23
07-07-2010, 05:12 PM
Swisher had the worst BA in the league when he was with us. Glad we got rid of that guy.

... And yet, still more productive than any of the guys we parade out to DH.

Pablo_Honey
07-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Let's not try to turn this into a debate about the Swisher debacle. I'm sure that topic has been discussed a lot in the past.

Anyway, I don't get why Marquez got the call instead of Torres.:scratch: Torres is not only older but has been far more successful than Marquez. If anything, he should get a shot to show that he may be useful as a spot starter/long man out of the pen. I don't mind not seeing Hudson because he could use more time to fine-tune his game before joining the rotation next year.

sox1970
07-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Let's not try to turn this into a debate about the Swisher debacle. I'm sure that topic has been discussed a lot in the past.

Anyway, I don't get why Marquez got the call instead of Torres.:scratch: Torres is not only older but has been far more successful than Marquez. If anything, he should get a shot to show that he may be useful as a spot starter/long man out of the pen. I don't mind not seeing Hudson because he could use more time to fine-tune his game before joining the rotation next year.

Torres started last night. They need somebody in the pen tonight.

Pablo_Honey
07-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Torres started last night. They need somebody in the pen tonight.
Oh, okay, that makes more sense then. Didn't know Torres pitched last night. Thanks for the info.

cws05champ
07-07-2010, 05:38 PM
At least we have a guy up with "Jon Garland stuff".......

stevemcstud
07-07-2010, 05:42 PM
At least we have a guy up with "Jon Garland stuff".......

hahaha. that quote will never get old.

Rockabilly
07-07-2010, 05:43 PM

Well it looks like Swisher will be in the All-Star game next week. I don't like the guys attitude. Just wish we had his bat in our lineup this year.

DumpJerry
07-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Anyway, I don't get why Marquez got the call instead of Torres.:scratch:
Options. Marquez has more of 'em. Why burn a Torres option when Hudson is replacing the person called up today?

TomBradley72
07-07-2010, 05:52 PM
If he played like he did when he was here - the Sox would. He sucked.

He is an all time White Sox record holder:

Most Strike Outs-Single Season:

8th All Time- Nick Swisher, 135

sox1970
07-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Options. Marquez has more of 'em. Why burn a Torres option when Hudson is replacing the person called up today?

Options are based on years. Marquez and Torres were both optioned at the end of spring training, so it doesn't matter how many times they came up during the year. As I already answered the question, Marquez was called up because Torres started last night. If he didn't, Torres would have been the call.

Tragg
07-07-2010, 06:52 PM
Don't you figure that we'll burn one anyway on Torres this season? We'll need him at some point.

Swisher had a bad year for us. But better than Betemit, Marquez; but not as good as Sweeney or Gio.
Lots of players have had bad years and we didn't immediatly vanquish them for table scraps.

BringHomeDaBacon
07-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Swisher had a bad year for us. But better than Betemit, Marquez; but not as good as Sweeney or Gio.
Lots of players have had bad years and we didn't immediatly vanquish them for table scraps.

Swisher AVERAGES 94 runs, 28 HR, 87 RBI with an .823 OPS. Unfortunately his one bad year was with the Sox. It is foolish to argue that he flat out sucks or that the trade with the Yankees was anything but a bad move.

As bad as Swisher was in 2008, Rios was much much worse in the 41 games he played in last year for the Sox. It would have been stupid to sell low on Rios after the down year just like it was stupid to sell low after Swisher's down year.

balke
07-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Swisher AVERAGES 94 runs, 28 HR, 87 RBI with an .823 OPS.

As an OFer - that's not that hard to top. Sox had better corner OFers and a LH Dh when he was disposed of. His short legs in CF were a complete embarrassment. And I found it hilarious comparing his stretch to Konerko's at 1B.

Quit living in the past - he had his shot in Chicago and he sucked hard.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Didn't Swish get in Ozzie's doghouse at the end of the year? He wore his welcome out fast.

Anyway, this topic is so 2008. Let's live in the now folks.

BringHomeDaBacon
07-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Didn't Swish get in Ozzie's doghouse at the end of the year? He wore his welcome out fast.

Yeah, nobody wants to be reminded about that trade considering Swisher is about to go to the All Star game while Marquez gets the call in case there's a need for mop up duty.

Huisj
07-08-2010, 10:49 AM

Yeah, maybe if Swisher wouldn't have sat around pouting the last month of the season when the team was fighting for the division lead and he was watching waist-high fastballs and swinging at crap out of the zone and essentially being useless, he would have gotten another chance. It's one thing to play bad; it's another thing to play bad and give up on the team and be a jerk about it when you get benched in the midst of a race in which you are hurting the team by being terrible.

hawkjt
07-08-2010, 11:07 AM
I just am not sure that Swish would have hit those numbers with the Sox.
In NY, he has no pressure, surrounded by great hitters. The Sox need self-starters,as we saw this year, and Swish was another low-average hitter,which the Sox have plenty of...wish we had never moved Sweeney and Gio...and hope Marquez gives us something. The whole Swish fiasco is a bad nightmare, but hey, Contreras was a steal so, we owed NY.