PDA

View Full Version : The Rays

LITTLE NELL
07-07-2010, 07:42 AM
I watch a lot of Rays games and after the Sox they are my second favorite team but I hate to say it but Tampa-St Pete does not deserve the Rays.
After a great win against division foe Boston on Monday only a little over 19,000 showed up for last nights game which resulted in another Rays win.
I know we talked about it last month and I hate to see them move but they are going to lose Crawford and eventually Longoria and some other guys because they are not drawing and revenues have to be down. What a shame it is and I guess I'm being selfish because I like watching baseball on TV. The MLB package is not available to me on the local Comcast outlet so its either the Rays on Sun Sports channel, or the Sox on WGN. I really don't care watching ESPN or Fox when they have teams I don't care about like the Rockies playing the Padres for example.
I'm really not sure what a new stadium will do for the Rays if they can only draw 19,000 while in the heat of a division race against the Red Sox.

Mods: Plese move to Talking Baseball

asindc
07-07-2010, 08:52 AM
I watched a bit of that game last night on MLB Network. Sounded like there were as many Boston fans there as TB fans.

ewokpelts
07-07-2010, 08:56 AM
meanwhile, the sox drew under 22k last night.

perhaps chicago dosent deserve the sox?

doublem23
07-07-2010, 08:57 AM
The Rays are also tanking. Since May 23, when they were a league best 32-12, they've gone 17-21, losing 8 games on both New York and Boston, and better than only Cleveland, Toronto, and Baltimore for worst record in the AL during that stretch.

ewokpelts
07-07-2010, 08:59 AM
oh, and dosent the economy suck?

asindc
07-07-2010, 09:05 AM

When TB has to deal with the threat of rain at its home games, then the comparison is valid.

ewokpelts
07-07-2010, 09:11 AM
When TB has to deal with the threat of rain at its home games, then the comparison is valid.sox were sending me ticket specials for this angels series for weeks. this was a low drawing game without the threat of rain

35th and Shields
07-07-2010, 09:14 AM

If they didn't have a 2 hour rain delay it would have been much different.

35th and Shields
07-07-2010, 09:14 AM
sox were sending me ticket specials for this angels series for weeks. this was a low drawing game without the threat of rain
Did you see the crowd for mondays game?

Bump34
07-07-2010, 09:21 AM
Appreciate everyone's concern for the Rays...

ewokpelts
07-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Did you see the crowd for mondays game?
1. Half price Monday - in the summer

2. Fireworks post game

3. Holiday

4. Playing a good team.

LITTLE NELL
07-07-2010, 09:24 AM
Plus this series is a "Prime pricing" series with the LLA. LLA have been a pretty good team in the last decade or so but to charge more for them is a joke, in fact its BS that some games cost more than others, what would the Yankees with Mantle, Maris, Berra, Ford, Skowron cost these days. I watched that team at old Comiskey for $1.25.
The Rays do the same thing, the Red Sox series is a Platinum price series and it might be the fans aren't willing to pay the extra bucks.

PS I did the math because I know someone will bring up the $1.25 figure, so 50 years ago a box seat at Comiskey was 2.50, taking into consideration an average annual inflation rate of 4%( might be a little high), a premium box seat at USCF should be about 28 dollars vs. the 54 to 68 dollars they are charging now.

PSS. We also had tremendous Sunday double headers. (Bob Elson)

LITTLE NELL
07-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Appreciate everyone's concern for the Rays...

I started the thread and I am concerned for the reasons stated plus we go see the Sox in their annual vist to Tampa Bay and I would miss that trip.

ewokpelts
07-07-2010, 09:38 AM
sox prime price is $4 higher than regular. not that much of a difference to potential walkup/last minute online orders

Red Barchetta
07-07-2010, 09:47 AM
I moved to the Sarasota area in 2005. (I know, great timing). :redface:

Anyway, I usually attend about 15 Rays games each season, including most, if not all, against the White Sox.

This is now my 6th baseball season here and I can honestly say, the only "fans" who want the Rays to stay in St. Pete and inside the Trop are the selfish fans who like the idea of never having to worry about getting a good seat. It's almost like they don't want the team to succeed any more in fear of losing their "private club" status.

However, as their current owner has recently confirmed, winning alone is not enough. Similar to SOX fest and other baseball PR events, fans always say they want a winner and that winning cures all attendance problems. The Rays and St. Pete have proven that to be false.

For anyone who has not attended a game in St. Pete, I find it to be the most sterile, non-baseball environment I have ever been to. That includes games I have attended in Toronto and the old Minneapolis baggy dome.

The current ownership is reviewing all options of moving to another location in the Tampa Bay area. There are proposals for both a downtown, neighborhood ballpark in Tampa as well as a Dodgers-style, parking lot with a baseball field dropped in the middle of it development off of I4 near the Florida Fairgrounds.

I know St. Pete will cry foul due to their long-term lease agreement, however the current ownership proposed a tax-free development near the bay in downtown St. Pete, however it was shot down in the Florida legislature. Personally, I believe the Rays ownership knew the plan would not succeed and wanted the failed attempt as ammo to get them out of their current lease.

A young, talented, winning team is not enough to draw fans in St. Pete.

Hitmen77
07-07-2010, 10:49 AM

If they didn't have a 2 hour rain delay it would have been much different.

I agree with 35th. In the last non-Cubs series home games before Monday, the Sox drew 31,700; 28,700; and 27,500 (afternoon game) on weekdays.

The last time they drew less than 22,000 before last night was when the Sox were 9.5 games out of first and Kenny was talking about trading away players.

Are we going to go back to complaining about Sox attendance every time they play on a stormy night?

asindc
07-07-2010, 10:59 AM
I agree with 35th. In the last non-Cubs series home games before Monday, the Sox drew 31,700; 28,700; and 27,500 (afternoon game) on weekdays.

The last time they drew less than 22,000 before last night was when the Sox were 9.5 games out of first and Kenny was talking about trading away players.

Are we going to go back to complaining about Sox attendance every time they play on a stormy night?

Yes.

ewokpelts
07-07-2010, 12:59 PM

Are we going to go back to complaining about Sox attendance every time they play on a stormy night?does the rays' attendance suck? yes. but the sox arent doing that much better, despite being in a similar situation.

the sox/braves series was priced "regular" and had a lot of discount offers. 6/23 was also season ticket holder exchange night. and 6/24 was day camp/school field trip day. the numbers are great, but a bit deceptive.

soltrain21
07-07-2010, 01:37 PM
does the rays' attendance suck? yes. but the sox arent doing that much better, despite being in a similar situation.

the sox/braves series was priced "regular" and had a lot of discount offers. 6/23 was also season ticket holder exchange night. and 6/24 was day camp/school field trip day. the numbers are great, but a bit deceptive.

But they weren't in a similar situation until recently. At one point we were 9 and half games out and figuring out who was getting traded. Rays have been one of the best teams in the league all year.

october23sp
07-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Oh, and when the Sox play the Red Sox and/or Yankees, they sell out, the Rays were playing the Red Sox.

Red Barchetta
07-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Oh, and when the Sox play the Red Sox and/or Yankees, they sell out, the Rays were playing the Red Sox.

The Rays didn't even sell out two of the Red Sox League Championship series games in 2008. The Sunday night game especially had lower than expected attendance as it bumped up against a Mike Alstodt (sp?) event the Bucaneers had already planned.

They had to be convinced to remove the tarp off the last few rows of the upper deck.

ewokpelts
07-07-2010, 01:53 PM
sox didnt sell out vs red sox or yankees last year

SI1020
07-07-2010, 01:55 PM
MLB in Florida has proven to be a colossal bust.

Red Barchetta
07-07-2010, 01:58 PM
MLB in Florida has proven to be a colossal bust.

I'm not quite ready to give up on it yet. The new ballpark for the Florida Marlins will really provide the test bed to see if they can build any strong fan base. So far, both teams have played in arguably two of the worst ballparks in the major leagues.

ewokpelts
07-07-2010, 02:06 PM
I'm not quite ready to give up on it yet. The new ballpark for the Florida Marlins will really provide the test bed to see if they can build any strong fan base. So far, both teams have played in arguable two of the worst ballparks in the major leagues.plus the location of the new park will be closer to the city centre

Bump34
07-07-2010, 03:06 PM
The Rays didn't even sell out two of the Red Sox League Championship series games in 2008. The Sunday night game especially had lower than expected attendance as it bumped up against a Mike Alstodt (sp?) event the Bucaneers had already planned.

They had to be convinced to remove the tarp off the last few rows of the upper deck.

That is a totally FALSE statement... the games were all sold out... and for games 6 and 7 the team removed the tarps in the upper deck to sell those seats...

The only reason the team did not want to remove the tarps was because the seats are obstructed... and the Trop (concourse, concessions, rest rooms) operates better at 36,000 as opposed to 41,000...

Also if you look up Rays/Raymond James on youtube you see a large number of Bucs fans inside watching the final outs...

Red Barchetta
07-07-2010, 03:22 PM
That is a totally FALSE statement... the games were all sold out... and for games 6 and 7 the team removed the tarps in the upper deck to sell those seats...

The only reason the team did not want to remove the tarps was because the seats are obstructed... and the Trop (concourse, concessions, rest rooms) operates better at 36,000 as opposed to 41,000...

Also if you look up Rays/Raymond James on youtube you see a large number of Bucs fans inside watching the final outs...

I was at the Sunday game and there were empty seats in the upper deck where the tarp was during the first two series. Perhaps they sold the seats and the buyers didn't show up for the game or perhaps they didn't sell all of the exposed seats. Either way, it was not filled to capacity.

TomBradley72
07-07-2010, 03:31 PM
If the White Sox played in that dump of a stadium/dome, I'd become a Brewers fan, and would very rarely/if ever go to a game, no matter how good they were. Domes suck for baseball.

Retractable roofs (i.e. Milwaukee, Seattle, Houston), I'm OK with...domes with artificial turf? Yuck.

LITTLE NELL
07-07-2010, 03:35 PM
I was at the Sunday game and there were empty seats in the upper deck where the tarp was during the first two series. Perhaps they sold the seats and the buyers didn't show up for the game or perhaps they didn't sell all of the exposed seats. Either way, it was not filled to capacity.

The tarp should never come off those seats, they are bench seats with no backs like you would find in the bleachers at most parks.

kjhanson
07-07-2010, 03:54 PM
does the rays' attendance suck? yes. but the sox arent doing that much better, despite being in a similar situation.

The Sox are 15th in the league at 62% to capacity. The Rays are 25th at 50%. The Sox are on pace to draw 250k more fans than the Rays, despite only being in contention for three weeks. Those are pretty wild (and statistically significant) differences. So, actually, the Sox ARE doing much better.

I was not aware that the Sox are the only team that offers discounted tickets and promotions. Wait, check that, they're not. This Friday they have a t-shirt giveaway and Vanilla Ice Concert after the game. The next night is another free concert as part of their concert series - concert series nights are their biggest draws - by far. Finally, they'll wrap up Sunday with a David Price bobblehead. And to top it off, you can get a pretty good seat to any of these games for $15 on Stubhub. Despite these promotions and cheap tickets, I wouldn't say their numbers are deceptive. Rather, I'd just say that's what baseball teams do.

asindc
07-07-2010, 03:58 PM
The Sox are 15th in the league at 62% to capacity. The Rays are 25th at 50%. The Sox are on pace to draw 250k more fans than the Rays, despite only being in contention for three weeks. Those are pretty wild (and statistically significant) differences. So, actually, the Sox ARE doing much better.

I was not aware that the Sox are the only team that offers discounted tickets and promotions. Wait, check that, they're not. This Friday they have a t-shirt giveaway and Vanilla Ice Concert after the game. The next night is another free concert as part of their concert series - concert series nights are their biggest draws - by far. Finally, they'll wrap up Sunday with a David Price bobblehead. And to top it off, you can get a pretty good seat to any of these games for $15 on Stubhub. Despite these promotions and cheap tickets, I wouldn't say their numbers are deceptive. Rather, I'd just say that's what baseball teams do.

I have always been under the impression that a promotion was intended to get fans to come to the game, not avoid it.

TheVulture
07-08-2010, 07:28 PM
I wonder what they would draw if they dumped Safeco Field or Chase Park in Tampa. The Rays have the type of team that should be drawing baseball fans whether they win 85 or 95.

gogosox675
07-08-2010, 10:01 PM
I find it funny that Tropicana Field and the city of St. Petersburg was once the potential destination for many franchises (including our Sox) and now the Rays are trying to get out of their stadium contract.

ewokpelts
07-13-2010, 11:17 AM
I find it funny that Tropicana Field and the city of St. Petersburg was once the potential destination for many franchises (including our Sox) and now the Rays are trying to get out of their stadium contract.it's a bad stadium in a bad location. plain and simple.