PDA

View Full Version : Expanding the MLB Playoffs to 12 teams...

WhiteSoxFan84
07-07-2010, 12:03 AM
I think it's about time the MLB decided to expand their playoffs. I'm not asking for much, just 6 teams per League. Here is what I'm thinking:

- 6 teams make it from each League (divisions stay as is).
- The top 2 Division Champions from each League get a 1st round bye.
- The remaining Division leader + the top wild card host the 1st round series.
- The 1st round series would be a 3-game series and would take place in one city (3rd Division leader + top wild card would be the hosts).
- The 1st round series would be be played in 3 straight days.

So it's a lot like the NFL Playoffs format. It wouldn't extend the playoffs by more than half of a week and would make things more interesting all across baseball.

Opinions?

TDog
07-07-2010, 12:06 AM
I think it's about time the MLB decided to expand their playoffs. I'm not asking for much, just 6 teams per League. Here is what I'm thinking:

- The 1st round series will be a 3-game series and would take place in one city (3rd Division leader + top wild card would be the hosts).

So it's a lot like the NFL Playoffs format. It wouldn't extend the playoffs by more than half of a week and would make things more interesting all across baseball.

Opinions?

No. Let lesser sports cheapen their season championship by making it a tournament championship. Having one wild card team from each league is bad enough.

sox1970
07-07-2010, 12:07 AM
No.

NDSox12
07-07-2010, 12:09 AM
Definitely not. Why would you want to play 162 games in order to eliminate just 60% of the teams? Don't get me started about the NBA and NHL.

twinsuck
07-07-2010, 12:10 AM
nooooooo

october23sp
07-07-2010, 12:11 AM
MLB is unique in that you actually have to treat a lot of regular season games like playoff games.

Sam Spade
07-07-2010, 12:11 AM
I think your idea is horrible, no offense. I wouldn't want them to expand the playoffs. Byes don't make sense for baseball.

WhiteSoxFan84
07-07-2010, 12:14 AM
MLB is unique in that you actually have to treat a lot of regular season games like playoff games.

And the NFL doesn't have that feel? And they play 1/10th as many games.

kittle42
07-07-2010, 12:21 AM
And the NFL doesn't have that feel? And they play 1/10th as many games.

You just proved his point. The NFL can afford to have more teams in the playoffs because it doesn't cheapen the season because they play 1/10 of the games MLB does.

I didn't like the wild card at first, but you know what? 4 teams isn't that bad. But it's working pretty damn well, and only the occasional garbage regular season team is sneaking in.

Let's not screw that up.

ChicagoG19
07-07-2010, 12:22 AM
No need to expand the playoffs. The MLB is the only league that makes you really earn a playoff spot.

Balfanman
07-07-2010, 12:40 AM

- The 1st round series would be a 3-game series and would take place in one city (3rd Division leader + top wild card would be the hosts).

Opinions?

The playoffs are too long now. They need to shorten it by a week, not extend it.

Twins_Morneau
07-07-2010, 12:45 AM
Why the heck would you want to water down a 162 game season??:scratch:

WhiteSox5187
07-07-2010, 01:07 AM
No, the MLB season is too long as it is. The playoffs should be over before Halloween.

Bob Roarman
07-07-2010, 01:47 AM
3 game series? Good night.

SaltyPretzel
07-07-2010, 07:16 AM
:threadsucks

DumpJerry
07-07-2010, 07:16 AM
You want a snowball fight at the World Series? You will with this if a northern city makes it without a domed stadium.

It will also increase costs to the teams because player contracts will be larger because of the potential for more games played. The players are already wiped out after a World Series, throwing in more playoff games is asking for disaster (injuries).

LITTLE NELL
07-07-2010, 07:20 AM
Thanksgiving day Baseball?

TomBradley72
07-07-2010, 08:24 AM
i think it's about time the mlb decided to expand their playoffs. I'm not asking for much, just 6 teams per league. Here is what i'm thinking:

- 6 teams make it from each league (divisions stay as is).
- the top 2 division champions from each league get a 1st round bye.
- the remaining division leader + the top wild card host the 1st round series.
- the 1st round series would be a 3-game series and would take place in one city (3rd division leader + top wild card would be the hosts).
- the 1st round series would be be played in 3 straight days.

So it's a lot like the nfl playoffs format. It wouldn't extend the playoffs by more than half of a week and would make things more interesting all across baseball.

Opinions?

no.

SI1020
07-07-2010, 08:32 AM
i think it's about time the mlb decided to expand their playoffs. I'm not asking for much, just 6 teams per league. Here is what i'm thinking:

- 6 teams make it from each league (divisions stay as is).
- the top 2 division champions from each league get a 1st round bye.
- the remaining division leader + the top wild card host the 1st round series.
- the 1st round series would be a 3-game series and would take place in one city (3rd division leader + top wild card would be the hosts).
- the 1st round series would be be played in 3 straight days.

So it's a lot like the nfl playoffs format. It wouldn't extend the playoffs by more than half of a week and would make things more interesting all across baseball.

Opinions? No!

doublem23
07-07-2010, 08:35 AM
No thank you.

asindc
07-07-2010, 08:47 AM
No. Non. Nein. Nyet. No ****ing way.

russ99
07-07-2010, 08:59 AM
I much prefer the 4 division realignment idea, with or without additional Wild Card teams.

Balfanman
07-07-2010, 10:04 AM
I agree, I like the four division format. Something like they had 20 years ago.

You could have the four division winners face off in a quick, 3 game series against the runners up in each division. This series would have all 3 games at the winners ballpark and take place on Tues., Wed., Thurs. immediately following the season.

Then start the League Championship Series on Saturday with only 1 day off when switching Ballparks. This would ensure that the World Series would start no later than the 3rd Friday of October.

Last years post season, for example, went on far too long. Even if the White Sox would have been in it, I still feel that it drug on far too long. Late October, early November just doesn't feel like baseball season.

JMHO

Red Barchetta
07-07-2010, 10:16 AM
No. I like the idea of one wild card team. It's nice knowing that if you come in second place in the toughest division in the league, you can still make the playoffs as sometimes the wild card team has a better record than the other divisional winners.

I would, however like to see the wild-card series expanded to 7 games, perhaps at the cost of reducing the regular season down to 160 games.

SephClone89
07-07-2010, 10:18 AM
Nope.

g0g0
07-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Horrible idea. I hated the NBA expanding and hate the idea of the NFL expanding the regular season. They are all just money-making scams.

soxfanatlanta
07-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Not so much.

SI1020
07-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Thanksgiving day Baseball? We're certainly headed that way. I can't wait for November baseball in Minnesota or Denver. Of course almost any northern city will do. Baseball should be over by the middle of October.

DumpJerry
07-07-2010, 12:42 PM
The World Series will lose its audience outside of the two teams' fanbases if it is played past the halfway point of the NFL season. That is when all sports attention is focused on the NFL playoff picture and NCAA Football Bowl picture.

chisoxjtrain
07-07-2010, 02:23 PM
No. The format is perfect the way it is.

rdwj
07-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Glad to see that this idea is hated by just about everyone