PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 'Bullpen Shoulders The Load' 7/6 LAAA vs White Sox Postgame Thread

soxinem1
07-07-2010, 12:45 AM
You know this team may be starting to really put it together when they pull out a team win like this!! :bandance::bandance:

Jake goes down, Pena picks him up.

Another solid defensive game (despite Lillibridge tossing away another easy DP throw), which really helped pick up Pena, who did not have his best stuff.

Clutch HR's by Rios (after the second blown call at 1B) and Jones with nice table-setting by Pierre.

For the first time in four years, the attitude of 'Win Or Die Trying' looks like it is coming back.

If Andruw Jones can go on a nice streak that would be huge.

As he is at least the second best defensive OF on the team and can run again, what kind of weapon he could be if he just started driving the ball.....

GoGoCrede
07-07-2010, 12:46 AM
Really happy the pen picked Peavy up here. I'm also glad the team didn't roll over and die by letting Peavy's injury get to them.

Now, to find out more about Jake's injury.

october23sp
Bullpen looked real good.

TomParrish79
Great game by the bullpen, Congrats to Andruw on #399 , I hope Peavy is ok

october23sp
07-07-2010, 12:47 AM
Yeah, we won't beat Weaver.:rolleyes:

BadBobbyJenks
Tony ****ing Pena!

Thanks for keeping it under 7.5 fellas! :bandance:

soxinem1
And we beat Jared Weaver..... FINALLY!!!!!:bandance::bandance::bandance:

Saracen
:bandance::bandance::bandance:

thomas35forever
Dear Sox,

Thanks for turning what could have been a really ****ty night into a really great one. This bullpen has shown how deep it is by going as long as it did tonight.

t35f

We keep pace tonight with Minny and Detroit. Don't stop now, boys!

BNLSox
07-07-2010, 12:48 AM
Huge win! Real statement game with us already being a major dog with Jered on the mound and then Jake going down. Let's lock down a series winner tomorrow.

whitesox4eva
Wonderfully played game.

Basically Weaver vs. The bullpen tonight and we held a good Angels team to 1 run, while attacking a good Angels pitching staff with 4 runs. I love it. :D:

NDSox12
That is a heck of a win. Pena stepped up big time. Nice to see Rios and Jones go deep too, ending slumps of slightly different proportions.

RadioheadRocks
I'm no Pollyanna in any way shape or form, but here's another one for all the Dark Clouds to suck on!!!

:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

fram40
07-07-2010, 12:49 AM
I'm sitting at a computer in Northern California getting Internet updates of the game. I have no idea how badly Peavy is hurt. Maybe he's down a start, two weeks or a month or more.

If it's nothing serious that just requires a month of rest, it could end up being a blessing in disguise if Hudson pitches well and Peavy comes back as a better rested pitcher for the last six weeks of the season.

you are the anti-Home Fish - I like the attitude.

This was a huge win. Great game. This team is on a roll.

johnnyg83
07-07-2010, 12:49 AM
That's a character builder. Beating Weaver when your SP goes out in the 2nd?

dynamite.

soxinem1
07-07-2010, 12:50 AM
Tony ****ing Pena!

Thanks for keeping it under 7.5 fellas! :bandance:

:scratch:

WhiteSoxOnly
07-07-2010, 12:50 AM
Is Homefish impressed yet ?

whitesox4eva
07-07-2010, 12:51 AM

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. :tongue:

WhiteSox5187
This was a game we really had no business winning. Great win.

VMSNS
Great game. Nice job, bullpen. And, Rios' HR was awesome! It was like a giant "**** YOU!" to Weaver.

Keep it rolling boys. :bandance:

manders_01
And here there were all sorts of people, both on this board and off, saying the Sox wouldn't do **** against the AL. To those people I say sorry, these guys are for real! These are the guys I've been saying they were. Couldn't be happier about their play right now!

:winner :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

soxinem1
07-07-2010, 12:52 AM
This was a game we really had no business winning. Great win.

http://thesamerowdycrowd.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/yogi.jpg

'Those are the ones you have to win in order to win'.

voodoochile
07-07-2010, 12:53 AM
They say that ever team is going to win 60 and every team is going to lose 60. Well I think the Sox are only going to lose 59 of those 60 this year because if someone would have told me that with Weaver on the mound Peavy goes out in the second inning the Sox would win, I'd have laughed at them.

Honestly, you want to know what Ozzie brings to this team? You just saw it. This IS a team and tonight it took an entire team to win the game. There's just no quit and wow what an effort.

Peavy was supposed to go 8 and win 1-0. He left in the second. Then on came Pena and he made it 4.1 and only gave up 1.

Rios was supposed to get the night off because he's been slumping so all he did was hit the go ahead homer after the Angels had tied it up in the top half of the same inning.

Jones was only playing CF because Rios needed a night off. We all know Jones sucks, so all he did was hit a home run. His first in forever to give the Sox some breathing room.

And of course then there's the bad news. The Sox are sure to lose this game and the season's over - no wait, turns out Jake just tweaked a rib cage muscle and might not miss that much time - we'll know more tomorrow. Get well soon, Jake we need you.

With emphasis...

:soxwin:

:)

Marqhead

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

White_Sock
Yes!!!

GoGoCrede
07-07-2010, 12:54 AM
And here there were all sorts of people, both on this board and off, saying the Sox wouldn't do **** against the AL. To those people I say sorry, these guys are for real! These are the guys I've been saying they were. Couldn't be happier about their play right now!

:winner :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

No, Manders, we need to play REAL TEAMZ!!11! first. :tongue:

Zakath
07-07-2010, 12:54 AM
If the rotation would not have changed due to the All-Star Break, Jake would have been scheduled to pitch Sunday vs. KC, July 19 in Seattle, July 25 in Oakland, and then July 30 in Chicago vs. Oakland.

So, best case and it's only a 15-day thingie, he'd miss 2 starts.

Oh, and thanks a lot,.Toronto and Baltimore, for sucking...

LoveYourSuit
07-07-2010, 12:55 AM
Championship type teams win ballgames like this one.

The Sox showed me a lot of heart today, after losing their ace.

Bitter sweet win, but the games must go on.

Get healthy Jake!

PeteWard
07-07-2010, 12:55 AM
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. :tongue:

I guess he took the under.

GoGoCrede
07-07-2010, 12:56 AM
Championship type teams win ballgames like this one.

The Sox showed me a lot of heart today, after losing their ace.

Bitter sweet win, but the games must go on.

Get healthy Jake!

I adore Peavy almost as much as Floyd, but I think Danks is our ace this year (Or Garcia, maybe).

BlackandWhiteSox
07-07-2010, 12:57 AM
Who cares about this win? The season is OVER! PV is out for the season, I could tell from my couch. It doesn't matter that I'm not a doctor. Whoever heard of a team winning their division when one of their starters went down with injury? Start the firesale or get Cliff Lee NOW!!!

JalaPeņa did a good job, he seems to do better when he goes multiple innings for some reason. Another good win against a good team, damn Bridge for throwing away another easy DP ball but Bobby didn't let it bother him. The bullpen as a whole deserves a W, great job. Don't stop now boys :cool:

PalehosePlanet
07-07-2010, 12:57 AM
We finally beat Weaver! Sure loss, huh Homefish?

Also, notice that all four runs we scored tonight were by newcomers to the team for '10. The first run Juan and Alex combined to score, the second Alex, the third Andruw, and Dayan, Lillibridge and Juan combined for the fourth.

Great play by Paulie to get the force out on the Aybar bunt.

And, of course, Pena bailed us out big time. (Even though I'm still scratching my head wondering why Ozzie didn't go to Threets in the 6th when they had two lefties coming up.)

fram40
07-07-2010, 12:58 AM
They say that ever team is going to win 60 and every team is going to lose 60. Well I think the Sox are only going to lose 59 of those 60 this year because if someone would have told me that with Weaver on the mound Peavy goes out in the second inning the Sox would win, I'd have laughed at them.

Honestly, you want to know what Ozzie brings to this team? You just saw it. This IS a team and tonight it took an entire team to win the game. There's just no quit and wow what an effort.

Peavy was supposed to go 8 and win 1-0. He left in the second. Then on came Pena and he made it 4.1 and only gave up 1.

Rios was supposed to get the night off because he's been slumping so all he did was hit the go ahead homer after the Angels had tied it up in the top half of the same inning.

Jones was only playing CF because Rios needed a night off. We all know Jones sucks, so all he did was hit a home run. His first in forever to give the Sox some breathing room.

And of course then there's the bad news. The Sox are sure to lose this game and the season's over - no wait, turns out Jake just tweaked a rib cage muscle and might not miss that much time - we'll know more tomorrow. Get well soon, Jake we need you.

With emphasis...

:soxwin:

:)

+1. great post

but you forgot that Q was a late scratch due to a sore knee

PeteWard
07-07-2010, 12:58 AM
I adore Peavy almost as much as Floyd, but I think Danks is our ace this year (Or Garcia, maybe).
Yep and the nice thing is I think MB will catch fire soon.

fram40
07-07-2010, 12:59 AM

they seem to be taking turns. First Danks, then Garcia, now Floyd.

SoxSpeed22
07-07-2010, 01:01 AM
You know you're on when you win a game against a should-be All-Star and Peavy goes out in the second inning. Let's hope he's okay, when he gets a good steak dinner for Pena. The long ball is back for us too. Way to take the first two against a great Angels team.

Shoeless_Jim
Great job by bullpen, finally Andruw contributes offensively, Bridge continues to hit, AND Vizquel shows up in the 9th to play D.

but the Orioles blow it....

Wonder if Peavy will pick the white jerseys again...
maybe Hudson...

shingo10
What an absolute odd, creepy night in baseball. Great, great job by the guys staying focused and picking up a huge W.

Get well soon Peavy. Hope its nothing too serious.

twinsuck
07-07-2010, 01:02 AM
I love you bullpen, never change.

TDog
You know this team may be starting to really put it together when they pull out a team win like this!! :bandance::bandance:...

You have to figure the injury to Peavy was demoralizing. This was supposed to be a pitching duel between two great starting pitchers. And yet, the Sox held the Angels without Peavy and wore Weaver down.

This is the kind of game that Sox fans are used to seeing other teams win. This was not unlike the May 26 win against Cleveland when Mark Buehrle was ejected with one out in the third, but tonight they were facing a better team and a pitcher that has shut them down in the past.

And there is concern over Jake Peavy and what this will mean for the pitching staff, which is where the demoralization comes in. Fortunately, the Sox have been getting good outings from the other starters. They could end up with Hudson being thrust into a fifth-starter role, which might not be so bad.

A gutsy performance tonight by Pena. A gutsy performance tonight by the White Sox.

This is a pretty good team.

stevied23

I think it's gotta be Garcia, especially when you consider there probably weren't real high expectations coming into this season even though he pitched well toward the end of the season last year. This guy is 8-3 this year, if anyone would have told me that, I would have thought they were smokin the good stuff.

BadBobbyJenks

Sorry, degenerate speak.

GoGoCrede
07-07-2010, 01:04 AM
I think it's gotta be Garcia, especially when you consider there probably weren't real high expectations coming into this season even though he pitched well toward the end of the season last year. This guy is 8-3 this year, if anyone would have told me that, I would have thought they were smokin the good stuff.

I think it's wonderful that more than one pitcher on this staff can be said to be our ace. :smile:

Tragg
07-07-2010, 01:05 AM
It certainly thins out our pitching.
Now we'll need Hudson to perform and Freddy to hold together for the 2nd half. Torres is next I suppose alternative if those 2 guys don't work. Maybe the AAA pitcher we got for Swisher.

Peavy trade looking terrible - oh well.

GoGoCrede
07-07-2010, 01:08 AM
It certainly thins out our pitching.
Now we'll need Hudson to perform and Freddy to hold together for the 2nd half. Torres is next I suppose alternative if those 2 guys don't work. Maybe the AAA pitcher we got for Swisher.

Peavy trade looking terrible - oh well.

How is it looking terrible? He was on a roll. Do you want Clayton back? We don't even know if this will affect him after he returns from the DL.

Crede24Thome25
07-07-2010, 01:08 AM
You know this team may be starting to really put it together when they pull out a team win like this!! :bandance::bandance:

Jake goes down, Pena picks him up.

Another solid defensive game (despite Lillibridge tossing away another easy DP throw), which really helped pick up Pena, who did not have his best stuff.

Clutch HR's by Rios (after the second blown call at 1B) and Jones with nice table-setting by Pierre.

For the first time in four years, the attitude of 'Win Or Die Trying' looks like it is coming back.

If Andruw Jones can go on a nice streak that would be huge.

As he is at least the second best defensive OF on the team and can run again, what kind of weapon he could be if he just started driving the ball.....

I am almost certain that once Jones hits the 400th hr(1 away) he will hit again. Hawks said the same thing on air today.

Streets
07-07-2010, 01:12 AM
So I was at the game today.....

1) Really pissed off about the unnecessary two hour rain delay for about 5 total minutes of slight rain shower near 8pm. Seriously? We should have started on time.

I had to leave around 10:45 to get my mom home because we can't have her away from my sick grandma for too long. The one time I get her out of the house for awhile and we can't even see the whole game.

B) Soooooooo nice to see them wearing the home pins! Was that a gorgeous sight for sore eyes!

Glad we pulled through with the W.

LoveYourSuit
07-07-2010, 01:34 AM

Disagree. When it is all set and done, this team will go as far as Peavy takes us. That's why he gets paid the Big $$$ and that's why he has a CY Award under his belt.

Garcia, seriously? If he is our ACE, we should be shaking hands with the Royals. God Bless him for everything he has done so far, but he's a 5th starter.

Danks, I am still not sold. Way too eratic for me. There is something missing there which is keeping him from taking that next step to "ACE" status.

Hegewisch
07-07-2010, 01:37 AM
Great Game !!! :gulp:
They Are Playing Great.:)
I Had To Leave Game About 10pm Due To My Wife Needing To Get To Work(midnight shift). I Agree That The Long Rain Delay Was Not Needed.:scratch:

(I did just even up my 2010 attendance record at.500 !!) :D:

GoGoCrede
07-07-2010, 01:38 AM
Disagree. When it is all set and done, this team will go as far as Peavy takes us. That's why he gets paid the Big $$$ and that's why he has a CY Award under his belt.

Garcia, seriously? If he is our ACE, we should be shaking hands with the Royals. God Bless him for everything he has done so far, but he's a 5th starter.

Danks, I am still not sold. Way too eratic for me. There is something missing there which is keeping him from taking that next step to "ACE" status.

Garcia has been the most consistent, and to me, that's what an ace is.

kittle42
07-07-2010, 01:49 AM
Garcia has been the most consistent, and to me, that's what an ace is.

Then Nick Blackburn is a Cy Young contender. He's quite consistent!

GoGoCrede
07-07-2010, 01:51 AM

Ah, never mind. I give in.

hawkjt
07-07-2010, 02:01 AM
Roller coaster ride tonite. Weaver cannot be beat by the Sox,but Juan hits one over Torriiii Hunters head leading off...sweeet...and then scores on Alex(not playing tonite) solid sac fly.

Then the Jake ''oh no!'' moment which set a pall over the whole park and game.

But somehow, Tony Pena comes up huge, and this team finds a way to beat their nemisis....who throws at Alex's head...revenge a dish best served cold,eh Alex? That HR had to be sweet .

Andruw is 3 for 49 going into that homer..yikes, get it going Andruw.
Bullpen by committee worked great tonite.
Great win,Sox...don't stop now boys..

whitesox4eva
07-07-2010, 02:15 AM

Cy Young is meant for pitchers who are consistent AND MUCH better than other pitchers in the AL or NL.

I also believe Garcia is our ace because he has been consistent, he has the most wins, and he has been our stopper.

mccoydp
07-07-2010, 02:35 AM
I wish I could watch these games over here, but I did get up at 5:00 AM to watch the Gameday play-by-play. I have to settle for the condensed games.

After a really bad April, the Sox have really turned their season around. I admit that I had written them off before they really hit their stride in June.

I hope Peavy's injury isn't too serious, but I'm sure the Sox will find a way to compensate for his absence in the rotation.

Keep winning, Sox, keep winning! :D:

guillensdisciple
07-07-2010, 05:47 AM
This team rules.

Period.

balke
07-07-2010, 07:27 AM

Experience. And he's getting it. He's pitched 11 out of 16 games where he's given up 2 runs or less. In a perfect world he'd be 13-3 right now. He's pitched fantastic and is easily the best pitcher overall so far this season for the Sox - (Also: Gavin Floyd is pitching like one of the best pitchers in baseball after a slow start. 6 runs in 6 games going at least 6 IP)

harwar
07-07-2010, 07:40 AM
I love having a great bullpen, a solid defense and double plays at just the right time .. it seems as if the good teams are pressing when they play us because they know that now we find ways to win .. everyone is contributing to the cause now ..

GAsoxfan
07-07-2010, 08:28 AM
Pena has been great in long relief all season. He has a 2.05 ERA in games where he's pitched at least 2.0 innings.

doublem23
07-07-2010, 08:53 AM
Really, really fun game to be at. Glad to see it's a muscle pull for Jake and not something more serious. Generally not a good omen when a pitcher just walks off the field before the trainer can even get to him.

Pena was solid. Kudos to Ozzie for finding a way to not have to use Scott Linebrink, either.

I don't even care that I didn't get home until 1 AM. The only downside is I didn't have a chance to check out the new Cork & Kerry's. Maybe next time.

asindc
07-07-2010, 09:36 AM

No he is not, unless you mean average for a few starts then terrible for the next few.

TomBradley72
07-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Very resilient team. Vizquel, Quentin, Peavy go down...and we keep chugging along. A great bullpen allows us to shorten the game to 6 innings...combined with a great defense and the ability to manufacture runs...a really great team to watch.

Lillibridge is still going...and combined with Pierre and Ramirez...gives us one of the speediest threesomes I can remember for the Sox.

What's with Tori Hunter? Sleepwalking the last 2 games.

BleacherBandit
07-07-2010, 12:00 PM

Didn't he go 3-4 last night?

doublem23
07-07-2010, 12:02 PM
P.S. Juan Rivera is the worst outfielder I have seen in a long, long time.

FielderJones
07-07-2010, 12:02 PM
Didn't he go 2-3 last night?

He went 3-4, but he was sleepwalking when he tried to get that 1-Dog leadoff.

TomBradley72
07-07-2010, 12:17 PM
He went 3-4, but he was sleepwalking when he tried to get that 1-Dog leadoff.

That and his defense....Pierre's 2nd double that parachuted into left center was easily catchable.

LoveYourSuit
07-07-2010, 12:31 PM

Adam Dunn and Soriano will like to have a word with you.

GAsoxfan
07-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Very resilient team. Vizquel, Quentin, Peavy go down...and we keep chugging along. A great bullpen allows us to shorten the game to 6 innings...combined with a great defense and the ability to manufacture runs...a really great team to watch.

Lillibridge is still going...and combined with Pierre and Ramirez...gives us one of the speediest threesomes I can remember for the Sox.

On occasion, they can shorten it to 1.2!

voodoochile
07-07-2010, 12:46 PM
That and his defense....Pierre's 2nd double that parachuted into left center was easily catchable.

Long run for him he was shading well to left...

TomBradley72
07-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Long run for him he was shading well to left...

1st double went to right center...2nd one went to left center...you can see him trotting very slowly (along with Rivera) as the ball parachutes in between them.

mzh
07-07-2010, 01:17 PM
1st double went to right center...2nd one went to left center...you can see him trotting very slowly (along with Rivera) as the ball parachutes in between them.
That makes me think that it was some sort of miscommunication between Hunter and Rivera. Maybe Rivera called it and then backed off on it or something?

Tragg
07-07-2010, 01:19 PM

The Angels fans at a website I looked at agree with you.

It's hard to compensate for turning outs into doubles.

TomBradley72
07-07-2010, 01:24 PM
That makes me think that it was some sort of miscommunication between Hunter and Rivera. Maybe Rivera called it and then backed off on it or something?

Didn't look like that in the replay....I was always taught the CF takes charge....both Monday and Tuesday...Hunter just looked distracted and a little out of it in center...just an observation.

JB98
07-07-2010, 01:28 PM
Pena has been great in long relief all season. He has a 2.05 ERA in games where he's pitched at least 2.0 innings.

Pena has had a weird year. If Ozzie brings him in to get out a right-handed hitter or two, he screws the pooch. But when he knows the team needs him to provide multiple innings, he has gotten it done.

That's two games Pena has won for the Sox this year -- the game Buehrle got ejected in Cleveland and last night's game.

Carolina Kenny
07-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Didn't look like that in the replay....I was always taught the CF takes charge....both Monday and Tuesday...Hunter just looked distracted and a little out of it in center...just an observation.

Maybe he is thinking that he should have accepted the Sox offer a few years ago!

hawkjt
07-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Anyone notice how big Dayan's feet are? Those white shoes look similar to clown shoes...my son and I were laughing when he was on third...for a relatively short guy who is built like a tank, he has enormous shoes.

The good news is that he seems to run decently fast. Wonder how nimble he can be at third,tho....maybe 1st base is his best spot, as he can keep those huge dogs on the base better.:D: