PDA

View Full Version : Peavy Update 2: detached Lat. Hello Daniel Hudson?

Pages : [1] 2

kevingrt
07-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Not good.

This is the last thing we needed before the All Star break. ****

Bob Roarman
07-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Yeah he'll grab some bench. Looks like the ticking time bomb exploded.

MARTINMVP
07-06-2010, 10:19 PM
****!

07-06-2010, 10:19 PM
That looked bad. Hudson's phone is ringing.

pearso66
07-06-2010, 10:20 PM
What happened, for those of us not watching the game?

BNLSox
07-06-2010, 10:21 PM
Any armchair physicians want to tell us what they think happened?

esbrechtel
07-06-2010, 10:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ

He went to put a little extra on a fast ball and grabbed his shoulder...walked straight to the dugout

Lundind1
07-06-2010, 10:22 PM
It looked at first like he tweaked that shoulder but then he limped off the field.

Right down the ****-can.

TomParrish79
looked like maybe a pulled muscle thats on the optimistic side....hopefully nothing tore

thomas35forever
I pray this isn't bad, but I'm not very optimistic, especially considering what just happened to Zumaya.:(:

mzh
Mother****er. Looked like he swung his arm around too hard and popped an elbow or shoulder. ****.

getonbckthr
I want Kenny on the phone with Seattle immediately. Flowers, Danks and other pieces for Cliff Lee?

kevingrt
Any armchair physicians want to tell us what they think happened?

Threw a fastball. Immediately after throwing it Jake grabbed his right arm and walked off the field.

Donezo for the season is my super terrible unconfirmed early prognosis.

russ99
07-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Looks like the shoulder...

Bummer. Hopefully he won't be out too long, and Hudson does well.

kevingrt
I want Kenny on the phone with Seattle immediately. Flowers, Danks and other pieces for Cliff Lee?

Throw the whole farm at him.

soxinem1
I was talking to my sister at the time and was commenting on how Peavy had a little extra something on the ball, and that we have used the same five starters all year, then...... OUCH!!!

His reaction reminded me almost to the day ten years ago when Cal Eldred did the same exact thing.

And for those of us who remember, you know how that worked out......

kevingrt
07-06-2010, 10:24 PM
We need to keep our heads up and still get this game. Very depressing Cell right now.

Crede24Thome25
07-06-2010, 10:24 PM
I second this, instead of acquiring a left handed bat we may have to settle for a starting pitcher:(:

thomas35forever
07-06-2010, 10:25 PM
I second this, instead of acquiring a left handed bet we may have to settle for a starting pitcher:(:
I don't know. Do you really want to trade away what little of the farm system we have left?

Bob Roarman
07-06-2010, 10:25 PM
I think this happened because they wore their traditional home jerseys for the first time in forever.

russ99
07-06-2010, 10:26 PM
I don't know. Do you really want to trade away what little of the farm system we have left?

I'd rather see what Hudson can do first. From most accounts, he's ready for the bigs.

Hopefully this isn't so bad and we can get Jake back in 15-30 days.

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-06-2010, 10:27 PM
Hopefully Peavy's not out long. Probably because of the damn 2 hr. delay...

CHISOXFAN13
I think this happened because they wore their traditional home jerseys for the first time in forever.

Awesome time for lame jokes.

asindc
I'll wait until the team makes an official public statement before panicking.

sox1970
Did anyone really think Peavy was good for 33 starts this year? Something was going to happen sooner or later. Hopefully Hudson is ready. His 100 pitches in 5 innings has to stop though.

asindc
07-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Did anyone really think Peavy was good for 33 starts this year? Something was going to happen sooner or later. Hopefully Hudson is ready. His 100 pitches in 5 innings has to stop though.

Yes.

thomas35forever
Yes.
What he said.

Over By There
Hopefully Peavy's not out long. Probably because of the damn 2 hr. delay...

Before the game started Farmer and DJ were commenting they were surprised how quickly Peavy said he was ready - said he only threw about 20 pitches in the bullpen before giving the all clear.

Crede24Thome25
If he is out for an extended amount of time after the all star break, it's a no brainer for me.

thomas35forever
07-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Before the game started Farmer and DJ were commenting they were surprised how quickly Peavy said he was ready - said he only threw about 20 pitches in the bullpen before giving the all clear.
It appears that's come back to haunt him.

Dub25
Well, he chose to be selfish when Ozzie wanted to put him on the DL.

soxinem1
I'd rather see what Hudson can do first. From most accounts, he's ready for the bigs.

Hhopefully this isn't so bad and we can get Jake back in 15-30 days.

I agree. Daniel can deal as well. We will just need to score and play well behind him.

I have a feeling Hudson makes at least one start.

BNLSox
07-06-2010, 10:30 PM
I'm sure Ozzie has plans to use Kotsay/Jones as a combined starter. He'll probably have that combo start game one post the ASG since he thinks so highly of them.

****ing hell :(

Be okay Jake, be just fine!

tm1119
07-06-2010, 10:31 PM

Please. Even if we got Lee we would still need a very good bat in the middle of this lineup for to even compete for a championship. We are no where near as good as the 3 AL east teams. No need to trade young pieces for a rent-a-player that we have 0% chance of resigning. Plus, we have Hudson. Hes going to be in our rotation sooner or later. Lets see what we got now.

HomeFish
07-06-2010, 10:32 PM
How long does it take to diagnose a torn ligament?

kevingrt
07-06-2010, 10:33 PM
How long does it take to diagnose a torn ligament?

About two seconds just from looking at his reaction.

soltrain21
07-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Well, he chose to be selfish when Ozzie wanted to put him on the DL.

And has been a ****ing beast since then. Are you being serious?

Boondock Saint
07-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Everyone's jumping at the idea of trading for another top-tier SP and ditching any hopes of acquiring the big LH bat we need, but how much would it hurt for KW to get on the phone and see what Pedro Martinez is up to?

hi im skot
07-06-2010, 10:37 PM

No ****. Dude's been solid over the last month or so.

hi im skot
07-06-2010, 10:37 PM
Everyone's jumping at the idea of trading for another top-tier SP and ditching any hopes of acquiring the big LH bat we need, but how much would it hurt for KW to get on the phone and see what Pedro Martinez is up to?

:rolling:

HomeFish
07-06-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm not sure I was this depressed even when Magglio went down in 2004. Damn our luck.

Crede24Thome25
Alot I hope, martinez is as predictable as freddy gracia this year and no one saw this coming from freddy. I'd rather see what hudson can do.

thomas35forever
It's like asking whether we should pick up Jermaine Dye. Is he ready to contribute right away?

soxinem1
07-06-2010, 10:39 PM

I'd give Hudson first crack but I wouldn't be against seeing what Pedro is up to.

But first, I'd see what the deal with Jake is. Too many people on this board had him on the DL a few weeks ago when they skipped him.

tsoxman
07-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Please. Even if we got Lee we would still need a very good bat in the middle of this lineup for to even compete for a championship. We are no where near as good as the 3 AL east teams. No need to trade young pieces for a rent-a-player that we have 0% chance of resigning. Plus, we have Hudson. Hes going to be in our rotation sooner or later. Lets see what we got now.
Exactly...This whole notion of throwing everything but the kitchen sink to land a high-risk player is what got us in trouble with Peavy. Wake up people. With the reduction of PEDs, the game of baseball has changed and is starting to favor less expensive and more athletic younger players over expensive plodding veterans. And at some point (like soon) aren't we going to need some of the very players that everyone wants to trade away?

Boondock Saint
07-06-2010, 10:42 PM

Really? A 3.63 ERA in nine starts last season is pretty solid, when all you're looking for is a warm body to fill a spot on the roster until Peavy returns.

Dub25
Yep, what good will those last 5 starts be if he is shelved and there is a hole in the rotation for the rest of the season? He was more interested in trying to prove everyone wrong when he was pitching like crap and should've gone on the DL to calm his shoulder down. From what I understand he was not even throwing bullpen sessions between starts.

WhiteSox5187
Well, I think unless there is some sort of miracle here with Peavy you have to consider him being done for awhile you call up Hudson and I'd see what he can do before I consider trading pieces for Cliff Lee, if Hudson can't cut it or doesn't look good or whatever, then you start asking about Lee if Peavy is done for the year.

daveeym
07-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Best case since he grabbed towards his armpit/tricep is just some sort of muscle pull or tear. Worst case would be ulnar collateral and a trip for some Tommy John surgery. From his reaction it seems unlikely that it was something in the shoulder.

hi im skot
07-06-2010, 10:44 PM
Yep, what good will those last 5 starts be if he is shelved and there is a hole in the rotation for the rest of the season? He was more interested in trying to prove everyone wrong when he was pitching like crap and should've gone on the DL to calm his shoulder down. From what I understand he was not even throwing bullpen sessions between starts.

He was obviously doing something right. What's with the Peavy vendetta?

konerko 14
07-06-2010, 10:45 PM
ughhh, crap, hopefully this isn't too serious

soxinem1
Exactly...This whole notion of throwing everything but the kitchen sink to land a high-risk player is what got us in trouble with Peavy. Wake up people. With the reduction of PEDs, the game of baseball has changed and is starting to favor less expensive and more athletic younger players over expensive plodding veterans. And at some point (like soon) aren't we going to need some of the very players that everyone wants to trade away?

I agree. We should see what Hudson and Viciedo can do...... Regularly.

Crede24Thome25
Well, I think unless there is some sort of miracle here with Peavy you have to consider him being done for awhile you call up Hudson and I'd see what he can do before I consider trading pieces for Cliff Lee, if Hudson can't cut it or doesn't look good or whatever, then you start asking about Lee if Peavy is done for the year.
We don't have to go after just lee, there's Dan Haren, Andy Sonnanstine among others. Only if we need too.

WhiteSox5187
07-06-2010, 10:46 PM
Best case since he grabbed towards his armpit/tricep is just some sort of muscle pull or tear. Worst case would be ulnar collateral and a trip for some Tommy John surgery. From his reaction it seems unlikely that it was something in the shoulder.

Yea, I thought he went for his elbow rather than his shoulder too.

WhiteSox5187
07-06-2010, 10:47 PM
We don't have to go after just lee, there's Dan Haren, Andy Sonnanstine among others.

Well my point is regardless of who, I'd wait to see what Hudson can do before we start selling the farm for a vet.

getonbckthr
07-06-2010, 10:47 PM
We don't have to go after just lee, there's Dan Haren, Andy Sonnanstine among others.
The bonus of getting Lee is that Minnesota won't get him then since they are the current favorites to get him.

soxinem1
07-06-2010, 10:48 PM

Arm Chair Managers again.

They have undefeated win-loss records, every in-game move works 100% of the time, every starter wins 20+ games, every line up is loaded.......

And the ACM's are all unemployed in that field.

Well my point is regardless of who, I'd wait to see what Hudson can do before we start selling the farm for a vet.

Yup!!!

daveeym
At this point I'm expecting to hear he felt something like a rubber band failing in his elbow and a shot of tingling pain up his arm. Totally looked like the ulnar blew out on him.

russ99

Well, he was flexing the elbow normally leaving the mound, that's why I think it's the shoulder.

Brian26
The bonus of getting Lee is that Minnesota won't get him then since they are the current favorites to get him.

Lee's a three month rental that will be pitching in NY next season. You don't ship the entire farm away for that.

Dub25
07-06-2010, 10:50 PM

Vendetta? That's right, everyone loves him after these last 5 starts after he fed us every excuse on why he sucked earlier in the year. I don't dislike Peavy but the excuses got tiring and then he wanted to play hero and pitch thru pain. If you consider that obviously right when now it looks like it will cost the team and possibly cost some of the farm if they chose to seek outside help then I might as well stop watching the game of baseball. Because I clearly don't know what I'm talking about.

daveeym
07-06-2010, 10:50 PM
Well, he was flexing the elbow normally leaving the mound, that's why I think it's the shoulder. One more reason I'd think it was the elbow, he was testing it out and not trying to test his shoulder.

Crede24Thome25
07-06-2010, 10:51 PM
Of course. I don't want to go and trade for someone with out seeing what hudson can do.

soltrain21
07-06-2010, 10:51 PM

You have NO idea if the two things are related at all. Give me a break.

Boondock Saint
07-06-2010, 10:53 PM
Vendetta? That's right, everyone loves him after these last 5 starts after he fed us every excuse on why he sucked earlier in the year. I don't dislike Peavy but the excuses got tiring and then he wanted to play hero and pitch thru pain. If you consider that obviously right when now it looks like it will cost the team and possibly cost some of the farm if they chose to seek outside help then I might as well stop watching the game of baseball. Because I clearly don't know what I'm talking about.

He's been talking about his arm all season, and now that he actually hurt it, you're talking about "excuses"?

WhiteSox5187

Indeed, the fact is any pitcher can get hurt severely on almost any pitch, especially a guy who throws as hard as Peavy.

Red Barchetta
The "good" news is that this came right before the All-Star break which gives the team a few more days to make any adjustments if necessary or allow Peavy additional time to heal if it's something minor. However, this doesn't look good...:(:

tsoxman
07-06-2010, 10:54 PM
If you had to pick your poison, If there is a serious injury, my hope for Peavy's sake is that it's the elbow and not the shoulder. If it's the elbow, there is always Tommy John surgery and about a two year recovery period. If it's his shoulder, he's as good as done.

Dub25

Probably not, I don't much of anything.

soxinem1
I was just thinking that DJ Carrasco might have come in handy today.

hi im skot

At least we can agree on that.

thomas35forever
I was just thinking that DJ Carrasco might have come in handy today.
Yeah, I still can't figure out why he's no longer with us.

Crede24Thome25
I can't even bare to watch this game I'm so bummed out.

getonbckthr
07-06-2010, 10:55 PM
For anyone who doesn't know throwing a baseball is an unnatural movement for the shoulder/arm. Any injury to the shoulder/arm shouldn't come as a surprise.

soxinem1
07-06-2010, 10:56 PM
One more reason I'd think it was the elbow, he was testing it out and not trying to test his shoulder.

Having seen a few injuries like this, and flashing back to Cal Eldred back in Y2K, It seemed he was favoring his elbow.

KMcMahon817
07-06-2010, 10:57 PM
I can't even bare to watch this game I'm so bummed out.

I agree. I am sick to my stomach.

soltrain21
Probably not, I don't much of anything.

You said it.

Dub25

He's been talking about his arm all season, and now that he actually hurt it, you're talking about "excuses"?

He wasn't talking about his arm all year, he was telling us about how his mechanics were off. But if I did miss something during all of that with his arm then good job Jake, way to land yourself on the DL with something that could be very serious. Ozzie obviously wanted him to rest for a little bit and see if that would work but nope.

theamb
Doesn't look Joel Zumaya bad...but it hardly looked good

soltrain21
07-06-2010, 10:59 PM
He wasn't talking about his arm all year, he was telling us about how his mechanics were off. But if I did miss something during all of that with his arm then good job Jake, way to land yourself on the DL with something that could be very serious. Ozzie obviously wanted him to rest for a little bit and see if that would work but nope.

Jesus ****ing christ, dude. Do you honestly think Herm would have let him go out there if they thought something was SERIOUSLY wrong? You are insane.

KRS1
07-06-2010, 11:01 PM
This just ****ing sucks. What a way to ruin a good day.

Dub25
07-06-2010, 11:01 PM
At least we can agree on that.

Wow, I'm really amazed by the fact that we all heard Ozzie say he wanted Jake on the DL and Jake insisted on pitching and now this happens. But yet people want to give him a free pass on something that could really effect the outcome of this season.

soltrain21
07-06-2010, 11:02 PM
Wow, I'm really amazed by the fact that we all heard Ozzie say he wanted Jake on the DL and Jake insisted on pitching and now this happens. But yet people want to give him a free pass on something that could really effect the outcome of this season.

Do you realize if they REALLY wanted him on the DL because he was hurt they could have, you know, put him on it?

Dub25
07-06-2010, 11:03 PM
Jesus ****ing christ, dude. Do you honestly think Herm would have let him go out there if they thought something was SERIOUSLY wrong? You are insane.

I was going to respond to this with an answer but why bother?

SBSoxFan
07-06-2010, 11:03 PM
Wow, this place is hilarious. Let's wait until trained medical people who can physically examine Peavy come up with a diagnosis before we all jump off the ledge. It could be just a rhomboid strain.

kevingrt
07-06-2010, 11:04 PM
Do you realize if they REALLY wanted him on the DL because he was hurt they could have, you know, put him on it?

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner...

Mark G from Tribune says Hudson could start vs. Greinke on Sunday and skip Futures game... this via Twitter.

hi im skot

Ozzie isn't the trainer.

daveeym
The problem is if he's had a failing elbow sitting him does no good. It won't necessarily show up on an MRI and if he feels good to go there's nothing more to do. It's usually just a matter of time before the elbow goes in those cases anyways.

hi im skot

I dunno, you could keep digging a deeper hole.

Dub25
07-06-2010, 11:05 PM

Once again, OZZIE WANTED HIM ON THE DL. Reading is a skill.

soltrain21

Because it's right and you have no comeback to it. That's why you won't bother.

Boondock Saint

I guess Doctor Ozzie knows better, then.

hi im skot
07-06-2010, 11:06 PM

And again, Ozzie doesn't make that call by himself.

thomas35forever
07-06-2010, 11:06 PM
And what does a former shortstop know about pitchers' arm injuries?

Dub25
07-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Ozzie isn't the trainer.

But as field manager Oz does have a bigger say than Herm, maybe not Kenny but Herm.

Why do I continue to answer this crap?

GoGoCrede
07-06-2010, 11:07 PM
I just got home. ***? Wow.....:(

Dub25
07-06-2010, 11:08 PM
Because it's right and you have no comeback to it. That's why you won't bother.

Oh, you got me. You are so right.

soltrain21
But as field manager Oz does have a bigger say than Herm, maybe not Kenny but Herm.

If they so desperately wanted him on the DL then why didn't they put him on it? And why has he looked so awesome the last month?

kevingrt

So lets just Fire Ozzie for not taking a bigger stand?

hi im skot
07-06-2010, 11:09 PM

Because you continue to spew it.

Face it - if Peavy were actually hurt, he wouldn't have been pitching. Herm, Allen Thomas...all of those folks work with the players and advise Ozzie and KW.

kittle42
Can you overrecators quit shouting at each other?

mzh
Its a strain!!!!1!!!!!

kevingrt
07-06-2010, 11:10 PM
http://twitter.com/MDGonzales/status/17917602102

Glass half empty of full?

KMcMahon817
07-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Angels telecast just said Peavy's injury was his right lat muscle. Could be worse, I suppose...

esbrechtel
07-06-2010, 11:11 PM
I prefer a strain to a tear....

thomas35forever
07-06-2010, 11:11 PM
Hopefully this will put all the begging for Cliff Lee to rest for the time being.

palehosepub
07-06-2010, 11:12 PM
strained muscle - back muscle -much much better than ligament damage if this holds true this is a big break!

CWSpalehoseCWS
Looks like Peavy got a huge break.

hi im skot
strained muscle - back muscle -much much better than ligament damage if this holds true this is a big break!

I see what you did there.

russ99
Angels telecast just said Peavy's injury was his right lat muscle. Could be worse, I suppose...

Same thing on our telecast. Strained right Latissimus dorsi. Looks like we caught a break.

chisox06
07-06-2010, 11:13 PM
I did not hear the word shoulder or elbow, so I will take this as good news. Interested to hear the diagnosis after the full evaluation tomorrow.

yazz32
07-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Give Jake all the time to recover. Let's not rush him back

Chicken Dinner
07-06-2010, 11:17 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latissimus_dorsi_muscle

WhiteSox5187
07-06-2010, 11:17 PM

Exactly, put him on the DL let Hudson throw a few games and when Peavy is good and ready he can come back.

cws05champ
07-06-2010, 11:18 PM
So the thread so far:

****!!! No, God No! He done for the year, let's trade for Lee, no we should wait to see what Hudson has. Peavy is an idiot for not warming up more, Herm shouldn't have let him go out there, should have listened to Ozzie...this is all Jakes fault, our season is down the tubes. It's a strain, hallelujah!!! Whew.

CHISOXFAN13
07-06-2010, 11:19 PM
So the thread so far:

****!!! No, God No! He done for the year, let's trade for Lee, no we should wait to see what Hudson has. Peavy is an idiot for not warming up more, Herm shouldn't have let him go out there, should have listened to Ozzie...this is all Jakes fault, our season is down the tubes. It's a strain, hallelujah!!! Whew.

WSI at its best!

russ99
07-06-2010, 11:19 PM

Talked to my medical expert - my uncle. Depends on the severity - probably out 2-4 weeks. Potentially a nagging injury and/or could be aggravated during rehab.

Hope Jake can take it easy coming back and get healthy. I love the guy's competitiveness, but it gets him into trouble sometimes.

thomas35forever
07-06-2010, 11:20 PM
Someone obviously did a Google images search and found this to put on the broadcast:
http://www.uoregon.edu/%7Eesorens1/hphy362.pbwiki.com/f/LatissimusDorsiSide.gif

asindc
07-06-2010, 11:20 PM
MLB Network just reported that the initial diagnosis is an "injured side." That's all they had.

WhiteSox1983
07-06-2010, 11:22 PM
:scratch: if my memory serves me correct from living in San Diego for three years. Peavy has historically had a bad back/side (mid region in general). Could be wrong though.

Whats for sure... he is injury prone. Great pitcher, but injury prone.

Hopefully the good news holds true.

GoGoCrede
07-06-2010, 11:23 PM
So the thread so far:

I can't wait to go back and re-read the thread. Although I can understand why everyone was so panicked. I'm kind of glad I missed the initial injury and got home just when they announced it was a strain.

Qdiddy
07-06-2010, 11:24 PM
I guess Kerry Wood had the same injury and according to this story it's a 6-8 week type injury. Of course, this all depends on the severity of the strain.

http://pul.se/Kerry-Wood-out-up-to-two-months_Baseball-Fantasy-Baseball-kx0vjTITdrW,4rX4eKDbxMPE

Konerko05
07-06-2010, 11:24 PM
I'm happy it's not his shoulder, but add this to the list of potential nagging injuries that will hinder his mechanics and ability.

Trade isn't looking so good right now.

GoGoCrede
07-06-2010, 11:25 PM
I'm happy it's not his shoulder, but add this to the list of potentially nagging injuries that will hinder his mechanics and ability.

Trade isn't looking so good right now.

Why don't we see how bad the strain actually is until we declare the trade a dud?

tm1119
07-06-2010, 11:27 PM
The strain itself shouldnt take long to heal, its just a matter of not reaggravating the injury once he comes back. DL him for about a month and see where he is from there. Should be a good rest for his arm too in that period.

TheCommander
07-06-2010, 11:28 PM
I guess Kerry Wood had the same injury and according to this story it's a 6-8 week type injury. Of course, this all depends on the severity of the strain.

http://pul.se/Kerry-Wood-out-up-to-two-months_Baseball-Fantasy-Baseball-kx0vjTITdrW,4rX4eKDbxMPE

Kerry needn't worry, though because I think his simulated games records are all safe. :redneck

Konerko05
07-06-2010, 11:31 PM
Why don't we see how bad the strain actually is until we declare the trade a dud?

I didn't declare anything a dud, but it's pretty clear keeping the man healthy is a very difficult task. There is a lot of time and money invested in his health.

He already admitted the ankle injury from last season was affecting his mechanics. I'm sure his arm problems from a few months ago altered the way he was throwing the ball. Now add in a huge muscle in his back, and I'm sure it's going to be difficult for him to pitch "naturally" physically, and mentally.

thomas35forever
07-06-2010, 11:31 PM
Yes. Honestly, it's amazing how some people overreact before they know the whole story. Be glad they don't actually have Major League jobs.

GoGoCrede
07-06-2010, 11:33 PM
I didn't declare anything a dud, but it's pretty clear keeping the man healthy is a very difficult task. There is a lot of time and money invested in his health.

He already admitted the ankle injury from last season was affecting his mechanics. I'm sure his arm problems from a few months ago altered the way he was throwing the ball. Now add in a huge muscle in his back, and I'm sure it's going to be difficult for him to pitch "naturally" physically, and mentally.

I understand this, but it sounded like a knee-jerk reaction, like you wanted Richard back or something. Again, I'd rather see how bad this is before I make any decisions about how it's going to affect him in the long run. He's a tough guy, I don't know that this will necessarily affect him mentally.

october23sp
07-06-2010, 11:34 PM
Well, as much as I hate on Peavy this still scares me. Losing a solid pitcher is not good, especially this run we have been on.

Hope he's back soon.

soxinem1
07-06-2010, 11:35 PM
So the thread so far:

http://estb.msn.com/i/36/7336433D8CA411EB4D5E555E59551F.jpg

"I jumped and Peavy only strained his arm??!!"

canOcorn
07-06-2010, 11:36 PM
We can survive this if we get a better DH than some replacement level player batting in that spot. Someone please take these lefty batting platoon players, at best, away from Ozzie (Mack, Erstad, Wise, ect). He's Manuel with a better 5th starter and a worse lineup to tinker.....

Konerko05
07-06-2010, 11:36 PM
Yes. Honestly, it's amazing how some people overreact before they know the whole story. Be glad they don't actually have Major League jobs.

In what way at all did I "overreact"?

I think it's a pretty rational reaction.

GoGoCrede
07-06-2010, 11:37 PM
In what way at all did I "overreact"?

I think it's a pretty rational reaction.

You said the trade wasn't looking so good right now, without knowing how long Peavy is going to be out, or the severity of his injury. Anyway, I don't want to argue anymore. I'm bowing out of this one. Get well soon, Jake.

soxinem1
07-06-2010, 11:38 PM
I understand this, but it sounded like a knee-jerk reaction, like you wanted Richard back or something. Again, I'd rather see how bad this is before I make any decisions about how it's going to affect him in the long run. He's a tough guy, I don't know that this will necessarily affect him mentally.

Even tough guys remember in the back of their heads when they feel a pain they never felt before.

KMcMahon817
07-06-2010, 11:43 PM

I must admit, the injury initially looked pretty bad. My dad and I sat in disbelief for a couple minutes and then I mentioned that Richard wouldn't look real bad right now if Peavy is done for the year.

october23sp
07-06-2010, 11:43 PM
So what's exactly wrong with Peavy, I'm too lazy to search the thread.

Konerko05
07-06-2010, 11:44 PM
You said the trade wasn't looking so good right now, without knowing how long Peavy is going to be out, or the severity of his injury. Anyway, I don't want to argue anymore. I'm bowing out of this one. Get well soon, Jake.

The trade isn't looking good. I don't really see how anyone can argue otherwise. He's a 50 million dollar contract who has already dealt with multiple physical problems half way into the season. He has a history of being injury prone. His ERA is 4.70.

Hitmen77
07-06-2010, 11:44 PM
Its a strain!!!!1!!!!!

Nope. That's impossible. I just read umpteen posts by medical experts on WSI that (based on TV footage) this was no doubt a serious shoulder injury. So this latest news that this is a muscle strain must be wrong.

So the thread so far:

and don't forget:

:chickenlittle

soxinem1
07-06-2010, 11:45 PM
I must admit, the injury initially looked pretty bad. My dad and I sat in disbelief for a couple minutes and then I mentioned that Richard wouldn't look real bad right now if Peavy is done for the year.

That's okay. You don't need to shoulder the blame for reacting as you did to Peavy's injury.:smile:

Corlose 15
07-06-2010, 11:46 PM
I'm actually not all that worried about this situation. The injury isn't as severe as some where worried about earlier and Hudson is a capable backup. LH hitter should still be the priority.

Hitmen77
07-06-2010, 11:48 PM
We can survive this if we get a better DH than some replacement level player batting in that spot. Someone please take these lefty batting platoon players, at best, away from Ozzie (Mack, Erstad, Wise, ect). He's Manuel with a better 5th starter and a worse lineup to tinker.....

Agreed. We need someone better than Andruw "automatic out" Jones in our lineup.

At least we have a viable starting pitching backup plan in Daniel Hudson if Peavy is going to the DL.

Konerko05
07-06-2010, 11:51 PM

At least we have a viable starting pitching backup plan in Daniel Hudson if Peavy is going to the DL.

Daniel Hudson is the only reason I'm not totally freaking out about Peavy going down.

I'm more worried about Peavy's future, and the team's morale than Hudson's ability to fill in for a couple months.

Hudson is definitely ML ready.

stevied23
07-06-2010, 11:57 PM
In spite of the injury, you gotta love the job Pena did coming in, and the HRs by Rios and Jones are 2 great signs as well, especially coming off of Weaver.

Hitmen77
07-06-2010, 11:57 PM
Daniel Hudson is the only reason I'm not totally freaking out about Peavy going down.

I'm more worried about Peavy's future, and the team's morale than Hudson's ability to fill in for a couple months.

Hudson is definitely ML ready.

Especially with the amount of money Jake is owed for the rest of his contract. We're paying him $16 million next year and $17 million in 2012.

Hitmen77
07-06-2010, 11:59 PM

Ha! Maybe I should make these timely statements more often! :D: :redface:

soxinem1
07-07-2010, 12:05 AM
Ha! Maybe I should make these timely statements more often! :D: :redface:

Whatever works!!!!:bandance::bandance:

Craig Grebeck
07-07-2010, 12:13 AM
One can safely say the trade and contract aren't looking good without being some dismal, dark-cloud seeing loon. Doesn't mean Jake isn't good or his career is toast, it's just one way of looking at it.

Nelfox02
07-07-2010, 12:23 AM
anyone have any history on this type of injury for other players? I think I read earlier that someone posted about Wood being sidelined 6-8 weeks with this?

DumpJerry
07-07-2010, 12:25 AM
Yeah, this is not time to overreact or anything.:rolleyes:

Have not waded through the entire thread to see if this mentioned, but if he misses his next start (Sunday vs. KC), he's not due to pitch again until post ASB. By then, the team will know if he needs to go on the DL. If necessary, they can rest him for the entire Twins series and have him face Seattle in, oh, 15 days from now.

HomeFish
07-07-2010, 12:26 AM
We're gonna win the ballgame tonight, but remember that after Magglio went down in 2004 we won the next game 10-1, and only then did we go into a tailspin.

hi im skot
07-07-2010, 12:28 AM
We're gonna win the ballgame tonight, but remember that after Magglio went down in 2004 we won the next game 10-1, and only then did we go into a tailspin.

We can always count on you to keep things in perspective.

DumpJerry
07-07-2010, 12:35 AM
:hurt
You would not want to include additional facts from 2004 that would make your comparison less salient. After all, no other stud players were lost for the season around the same time.......nobody at all......

TDog
07-07-2010, 12:37 AM

Ordonez wasn't in the lineup every fifth game before his injury.

WhiteSoxFTW
07-07-2010, 12:41 AM
I said a few weeks ago his arm was going to fall off sooner or later. Too bad it was sooner.

theamb
07-07-2010, 12:47 AM
He's our version of Joel Zumaya

Boondock Saint
07-07-2010, 12:48 AM
I said a few weeks ago his arm was going to fall off sooner or later. Too bad it was sooner.

It's a muscle strain. While on the subject, try not to strain one while patting yourself on the back.

WhiteSoxFTW
07-07-2010, 12:51 AM
It's a muscle strain. While on the subject, try not to strain one while patting yourself on the back.

What is your point? Scouts have talked about his violent throwing motion for years now. The Padres babied him in his years there. Skipped and pushed back starts, especially during his Cy Young year. Jake Peavy will pitch until his arm falls off, it's just too bad it's going to be before he finishes his term with the Sox.

Marqhead
07-07-2010, 12:52 AM
What is your point? Scouts have talked about his violent throwing motion for years now. The Padres babied him in his years there. Skipped and pushed back starts, especially during his Cy Young year. Jake Peavy will pitch until his arm falls off, it's just too bad it's going to be before he finishes his term with the Sox.

His arm fell off? HOLY **** I WASN'T WATCHING THE GAME. Someone please post a video.

07-07-2010, 12:54 AM
There are a lot of d-bags in this thread...

hi im skot
07-07-2010, 12:54 AM

Ok.

GoGoCrede
07-07-2010, 12:55 AM
His arm fell off? HOLY **** I WASN'T WATCHING THE GAME. Someone please post a video.

Er...are you being serious? If so, I'm sure there's a vid on whitesox.com to catch you up. He strained a muscle in his back, but it looked much worse than it really was, I think.

Boondock Saint
07-07-2010, 12:55 AM

My point is that he has a muscle strain, it's far from the end of the world, and it's far from some inevitable conclusion to Jake Peavy's Greek tragedy, like you're making it out to be.

Marqhead
07-07-2010, 12:56 AM
Er...are you being serious? If so, I'm sure there's a vid on whitesox.com to catch you up. He strained a muscle in his back, but it looked much worse than it really was, I think.

I'm poking fun at the notion that Jake Peavy's career ended tonight.

My point is that he has a muscle strain, it's far from the end of the world, and it's far from some inevitable conclusion to Jake Peavy's Greek tragedy, like you're making it out to be.

:thumbsup:

kevingrt
07-07-2010, 12:56 AM

Thread, forum, country, world???

GoGoCrede
07-07-2010, 12:57 AM
I'm poking fun at the notion that Jake Peavy's career ended tonight.

:thumbsup:

Oh, okay. :tongue: I really don't think we should all flip out until we know the extent of his injury. It might not be so bad! I'm really calm right now, no use getting worked up until we know more. It'll drive us all crazy.

SBSoxFan
07-07-2010, 12:58 AM

How do you figure that? The guy made 34 starts that year. If anything, he had an extra start or two in 2007.

Tragg
07-07-2010, 12:59 AM
Absolutely not

That's the kind of nonsense that put ut into this mess...trading every decent young player we have for the "Ace" (who never turns out to be one). And this one is a rent.

DrCrawdad
07-07-2010, 01:02 AM
Ding Ding Ding we have a winner...

Mark G from Tribune says Hudson could start vs. Greinke on Sunday and skip Futures game... this via Twitter.

Let's do it!

Same thing on our telecast. Strained right Latissimus dorsi. Looks like we caught a break.

Latissimus dorsi? I caught one of those off the coast of Florida a couple years ago.

TheVulture
07-07-2010, 01:04 AM
Going through this thread was the opposite of the bear mountain double rainbow.

Baron
07-07-2010, 01:07 AM
Absolutely not

That's the kind of nonsense that put ut into this mess...trading every decent young player we have for the "Ace" (who never turns out to be one). And this one is a rent.

Jake really showed us these past couple weeks even with fluid in his arm that he is the pitcher we traded for and Im glad we did

WhiteSoxFan84
07-07-2010, 01:10 AM
Someone might have already mentioned this, but Darrin Jackson kept on repeating how quickly Peavy got ready tonight. He did say that Jake might have been warming up inside the tunnels, but he only took "5 minutes" in the bullpen and Ed Farmer said it looked like about 20 pitches.

I'm sure that had something to do with it. I just hope he doesn't even have to sniff the DL.

WhiteSoxFTW
07-07-2010, 01:11 AM

I didn't mean to say this one injury is the end of his pitching, I meant to point out that this will not be the first time he hurts himself throwing. He throws in a manner that will lead to other injuries. And worse ones.

Boondock Saint
07-07-2010, 01:14 AM
I didn't mean to say this one injury is the end of his pitching, I meant to point out that this will not be the first time he hurts himself throwing. He throws in a manner that will lead to other injuries. And worse ones.

He hasn't had a serious arm injury in eight years of pitching. Your statement has zero support.

october23sp
07-07-2010, 01:14 AM
6 Games over .500, season high watermark.

GoGoCrede
07-07-2010, 01:16 AM
MRI on Wednesday for Peavy, per Gonzales.

WhiteSoxFTW
07-07-2010, 01:16 AM
He hasn't had a serious arm injury in eight years of pitching. Your statement has zero support.

I will go back and find the article I read then quoting several scouts right after he was traded to the Sox.

Boondock Saint
07-07-2010, 01:18 AM
I will go back and find the article I read then quoting several scouts right after he was traded to the Sox.

Don't bother. It's not going to show that he's had a serious arm injury in the past, and it sure as hell won't prove that he's going to have more frequent, more serious injuries.

twinsuck
07-07-2010, 01:18 AM
So the thread so far:

I'd vote this POTW.... Typical WSI! :D:

BlackandWhiteSox
07-07-2010, 01:24 AM
Don't know if anyone mentioned this but Hudson just pitched on Monday, so he'd only be a day late from pitching on his usual schedule(if he were to pitch on Sunday in place of PV). It would be as if Charlotte had an off-day and his start was pushed back a day because of it. He should be ready to go if needed.

sox1970
07-07-2010, 01:25 AM
Don't know if anyone mentioned this but Hudson just pitched on Monday, so he'd only be a day late from pitching on his usual schedule(if he were to pitch on Sunday in place of PV). It would be as if Charlotte had an off-day and his start was pushed back a day because of it. He should be ready to go if needed.

Yep. He would have been at the Futures Game in Anaheim on Sunday. Now he'll probably be facing Greinke.

kittle42
07-07-2010, 01:26 AM

Should you even be allowed to have a WS ring in your sig photo? I mean, there *had* to be something illegitimate about the Sox' world championship, right?

Rockabilly
07-07-2010, 02:05 AM
Bill Swift had the same injury and he only missed 4 weeks.

Get well soon Jake.

mccoydp
07-07-2010, 02:30 AM
6 Games over .500, season high watermark.

Isn't that the best they've been since 2008? I don't think they got above 5 games over .500 last year.

whitesox4eva
07-07-2010, 02:36 AM
Ok.

Where is your dinosaur sig in this post skot? :scratch:

GoGoCrede
07-07-2010, 02:37 AM
Where is your dinosaur sig in this post skot? :scratch:

Sig photos only appear once on each page, that's probably it.

Rockabilly
07-07-2010, 02:39 AM
Speaking of injuries. Anyone know how Q is doing?

voodoochile
07-07-2010, 02:47 AM
Speaking of injuries. Anyone know how Q is doing?

Even before the game Ozzie said it was precautionary. He was available to PH if needed, but Ozzie felt it best to give him the night off and not risk worsening things...

SluggersAway
07-07-2010, 04:34 AM
Originally Posted by HomeFish http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2544982#post2544982)

Should you even be allowed to have a WS ring in your sig photo? I mean, there *had* to be something illegitimate about the Sox' world championship, right?

Not to mention the Harvard ring is also a disgrace to that institution.

harwar
07-07-2010, 07:46 AM
i have to wonder what Dan Hudson is thinking this morn .. Jake said there was swelling in his back .. if it's not gone today then i don't see how he can not go on the DL, since he had that shoulder problem also .. i, for one, like Peavy's attitude about the game .. i'm expecting big things from him down the stretch .. it might be interesting to see what Hudson can do in three starts ..

DumpJerry
07-07-2010, 08:13 AM
This thread reminds of when Buehrle broke his foot during Spring Training in 2005 just before the season started causing him to miss the first three months of the season.

Oh wait.........

Bottom line: if Peavy skips Sunday's start against KC, he won't have to pitch again until the Monday Seattle game thanks to the rotation reset from the ASB. That's 13 days and would not necessitate a DL trip. If they do DL him, they should bring up a bat or glove and not a pitcher since the ASB makes it possible for him to miss a start without adversely effecting the rotation.

#1swisher
07-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Merkin (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100706&content_id=12006648&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws) on Peavy

white sox bill
07-07-2010, 08:17 AM
I thought everyone knew what a Latissimus Dorsi is(aka Lats). What self-serving platehead wouldn't know???:tongue:

Lets hope Jake is OK and his stay on the DL will be brief. If this team is as good as they have lead us to believe the last 3 weeks, we will overcome this.

DrCrawdad
07-07-2010, 09:07 AM

Yep. He would have been at the Futures Game in Anaheim on Sunday. Now he'll probably be facing Greinke.

i have to wonder what Dan Hudson is thinking this morn .. Jake said there was swelling in his back .. if it's not gone today then i don't see how he can not go on the DL, since he had that shoulder problem also .. i, for one, like Peavy's attitude about the game .. i'm expecting big things from him down the stretch .. it might be interesting to see what Hudson can do in three starts ..

Here is a link to Daniel Hudson's '10 Minor League Baseball stats page. (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=543339)

I'm reminded of the Beatles concert where IIRC George Hairston introduced Paul McCartney performing (sans-Beatles) Yesterday. George introduces the song, saying "For Paul McCartney of Liverpool, opportunity knocks!"

http://www.tvtalkin.com/fab4tv/images/thumbs/blackpool65--2.jpg

So now in the this situation...

For Daniel Hudson of Lynchburg, opportunity knocks!

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0228/chicago_g_hudson_200.jpg

GAsoxfan
07-07-2010, 09:25 AM
This thread reminds of when Buehrle broke his foot during Spring Training in 2005 just before the season started causing him to miss the first three months of the season.

Oh wait.........

Bottom line: if Peavy skips Sunday's start against KC, he won't have to pitch again until the Monday Seattle game thanks to the rotation reset from the ASB. That's 13 days and would not necessitate a DL trip. If they do DL him, they should bring up a bat or glove and not a pitcher since the ASB makes it possible for him to miss a start without adversely effecting the rotation.

If they don't decide to put Peavy on the DL, maybe Pena would get the spot start on Sunday. He could probably give them four or five innings.

LITTLE NELL
07-07-2010, 09:36 AM
I got to think that Hudson is ready, he's 11-4 for a team that is 42-44.
Its going to be tough for him since the Sox are now in the race, lets see if he is ready, what he's got and how he handles the pressure.

Rockabilly
07-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Hudson will give the Sox a lot of great quality starts.

LITTLE NELL
07-07-2010, 09:46 AM
Hudson will give the Sox a lot of great quality starts.

I hope you're right. We need him.

TheOldRoman
07-07-2010, 09:48 AM
One can safely say the trade and contract aren't looking good without being some dismal, dark-cloud seeing loon. Doesn't mean Jake isn't good or his career is toast, it's just one way of looking at it.No, not really. The two are mutually inclusive.

TheOldRoman
07-07-2010, 09:48 AM

He already admitted the ankle injury from last season was affecting his mechanics. I'm sure his arm problems from a few months ago altered the way he was throwing the ball. Now add in a huge muscle in his back, and I'm sure it's going to be difficult for him to pitch "naturally" physically, and mentally.He strained a muscle. That was a fluke. So as long as we can keep him from repeatedly breaking his ankle running the bases, I think we will be fine.

Craig Grebeck
07-07-2010, 09:49 AM
No, not really. The two are mutually inclusive.
Teal?

doublem23
07-07-2010, 10:02 AM
Teal?

Don't you know all teams are chomping at the bit to owe a guy $33 M over two years whose developing a track record if injury problems?

Luckily, as long as Linebrink and Teahen are employed here, it won't be the worst contract on our books.

TheOldRoman
07-07-2010, 10:15 AM
Don't you know all teams are chomping at the bit to owe a guy $33 M over two years whose developing a track record if injury problems?

Luckily, as long as Linebrink and Teahen are employed here, it won't be the worst contract on our books.A fluke broken ankle and a strained lat? That is his horrible track record?

TheOldRoman
07-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Teal?No. Just like when you said the Sox should dump Quentin soon and Bobby was a bad pitcher, you have jumped the gun.

doublem23
07-07-2010, 10:28 AM
A fluke broken ankle and a strained lat? That is his horrible track record?

He also spent time on the DL in 2008 for a sore elbow.

That is what a track record is; a lot of Mark Prior's injuries were of the "flukey" variety, a strained calf here, a compression fracture from getting hit by a line drive there, etc. I'm not saying Peavy is automatically the next Prior, I'm just saying the more and more injuries a guy builds up, the more and more troublesome it becomes. I'm sorry if that's too "dark cloud" for you.

Craig Grebeck
07-07-2010, 10:43 AM
No. Just like when you said the Sox should dump Quentin soon and Bobby was a bad pitcher, you have jumped the gun.

And if I stripped your arguments of all nuance and re-packaged them to sound Mike North-esque, you'd sound pretty stupid too.

You are way, way off.

SI1020
07-07-2010, 10:47 AM
I got to think that Hudson is ready, he's 11-4 for a team that is 42-44.
Its going to be tough for him since the Sox are now in the race, lets see if he is ready, what he's got and how he handles the pressure. He may or may not be ready. He's been a 5 or 6 inning pitcher in AAA this year.

goon
07-07-2010, 10:49 AM
No. Just like when you said the Sox should dump Quentin soon and Bobby was a bad pitcher, you have jumped the gun.

**** it, trade the whole team.

TheOldRoman
07-07-2010, 11:09 AM
And if I stripped your arguments of all nuance and re-packaged them to sound Mike North-esque, you'd sound pretty stupid too.

You are way, way off.You did say "if Quentin doesn't get it back together soon" he should be cut/traded, so at least you made that distinction. And that was surprising to me since you had always defended Quentin. But your posts about Jenks, particularly after the near-disaster in Cleveland, tell about how horrible he was. "Nobody should be surprised. He is a bad pitcher. Bad pitchers give up runs." That isn't a direct quote, but you said something close to that. You always speak in such definitives. Jenks is bad because he is struggling, if Quentin doesn't come back within a short time frame, we should dump him because he will never come back, etc.

Craig Grebeck
07-07-2010, 11:18 AM
You did say "if Quentin doesn't get it back together soon" he should be cut/traded, so at least you made that distinction. And that was surprising to me since you had always defended Quentin. But your posts about Jenks, particularly after the near-disaster in Cleveland, tell about how horrible he was. "Nobody should be surprised. He is a bad pitcher. Bad pitchers give up runs." That isn't a direct quote, but you said something close to that. You always speak in such definitives. Jenks is bad because he is struggling, if Quentin doesn't come back within a short time frame, we should dump him because he will never come back, etc.

Regarding Quentin, I said he should be a non-tender candidate should he show "no signs of life." There's a sizable distinction.

I'll get back to you regarding Jenks. I'm on my cell phone and can't search as well.

hawkjt
07-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Bobby looks like he gained ten lbs in the off-week....hope he trims it down a bit. I understand...stress of the kids and wife's health issues...still, he looked huge out there last nite,and I thought he looked very good this year.

FielderJones
07-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Bobby looks like he gained ten lbs in the off-week....hope he trims it down a bit. I understand...stress of the kids and wife's health issues...still, he looked huge out there last nite,and I thought he looked very good this year.

Black is slimming.

BleacherBandit
07-07-2010, 11:47 AM
I was thinking: is straining the biggest muscle in the back better than straining a shoulder because it doesn't assist in the throwing motion like the shoulder does, or is it a worse proposition because it is indeed the largest muscle?

doublem23
07-07-2010, 11:55 AM
I was thinking: is straining the biggest muscle in the back better than straining a shoulder because it doesn't assist in the throwing motion like the shoulder does, or is it a worse proposition because it is indeed the largest muscle?

I have no idea short-term, but long-term this has to be good news. The only thing worse than a shoulder injury for a pitcher is an elbow injury. Considering the way it looked at the park, I though his season might have been over. A strained back muscle I'm sure will take some time and patience to fully heal, but any kind of shoulder injury is potentially disastrous.

FielderJones
07-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Considering the way it looked at the park, I though his season might have been over. A strained back muscle I'm sure will take some time and patience to fully heal, but any kind of shoulder injury is potentially disastrous.

On TV you could see him grab his armpit, not his shoulder or elbow. It looked weird, so I didn't completely freak out, even though I didn't think Peņa would match, let alone outpitch Weaver.

elrod
07-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Shoulder and elbow injuries are disastrous precisely because they are NOT muscle injuries. Muscles re-grow. Tendons and ligaments do not - at least not fully. Even strained tendons (tendonitis) takes a long time to heal because it's hard to get blood flowing there to aid in recovery.

I've had nagging elbow tendinitis (from one-armed dumbbell snatches) for two months now. Muscle strains - even pulls - can go away in a week or two (though hammies and other "complex muscle groups" take much longer).

If it's just a back muscle strain then a couple weeks on the DL will fix him up right. The MRI will need to confirm though.

Crestani
07-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Shoulder and elbow injuries are disastrous precisely because they are NOT muscle injuries. Muscles re-grow. Tendons and ligaments do not - at least not fully. Even strained tendons (tendonitis) takes a long time to heal because it's hard to get blood flowing there to aid in recovery.

I've had nagging elbow tendinitis (from one-armed dumbbell snatches) for two months now. Muscle strains - even pulls - can go away in a week or two (though hammies and other "complex muscle groups" take much longer).

If it's just a back muscle strain then a couple weeks on the DL will fix him up right. The MRI will need to confirm though.

Everyone can speculate all they want but until the MRI results come out and a Orthopedic Doctor looks at the results, we will not know. I only hope he can pitch during that tough September schedule we have..!!

hawkjt
07-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Black is slimming.

Never thought of that...you could be right.

Heard Stoney on the Score and he did not sound very positive on Jakes injury. Said it could be as bad as two months.
Lets hope not.

JC456
07-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Pena looked really good last night. I'd like to see the Sox give him a try as a starter. One never knows!

kittle42
07-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Pena looked really good last night. I'd like to see the Sox give him a try as a starter. One never knows!

Ugh.

DirtySox
07-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Rumor has it that Marquez might be called up because of the overworked pen. Torres pitched yesterday, so he isn't an option. Hudson would then be called up to start Sunday's game.

soxinem1
07-07-2010, 01:47 PM

Pena is what he is. He has basically been a one inning guy most of his career who has been stretched out a couple times.

He has neither the stuff nor the arsenal to be a starter.

Rumor has it that Marquez might be called up because of the overworked pen. Torres pitched yesterday, so he isn't an option. Hudson would then be called up to start Sunday's game.

How much was the pen really overworked? Pena was stretched out a bit, but the other guys were just doing their normal roles.

DirtySox
07-07-2010, 01:53 PM
How much was the pen really overworked? Pena was stretched out a bit, but the other guys were just doing their normal roles.

I'm with you. Just echoing what has been said.

canOcorn
07-07-2010, 01:53 PM

We don't have anyone better than Jeff Marquez to bring up? Holy ****, does our minor league system suck when Marquez is the third option to be brought up. :o:

BNLSox
07-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Any updates on the radio today for those of us out of market?

palehozenychicty
07-07-2010, 02:02 PM

Dag. I totally forgot about him. Wasn't he the wild card in that trade?

SOXBOY
07-07-2010, 02:04 PM
Injury doesn't sound good per Stone on Score today but at least we have Hudson who has looked look so far this year. (I know it's the minors but still)

soxinem1
07-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Injury doesn't sound good per Stone on Score today but at least we have Hudson who has looked look so far this year. (I know it's the minors but still)

Stone went through a career-ending injury himself, and like many of us he has seen this story before:

_____ hurts his arm.
_____ rests arm after nothing is found.
_____ returns and it hurts again.
_____ rests arm again.
_____ is ready to return, then the pain returns.
_____ needs TJ ligament replacement/elbow reconstruction/shoulder surgery

Now I'm not saying this will happen with Peavy, but we should hope for the best and expect the worst.

GAsoxfan
07-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Pena is what he is. He has basically been a one inning guy most of his career who has been stretched out a couple times.

Pena has done a very good job when asked to pitch multiple innings this year. I wouldn't want him as a long-term starter, but if Jake may only miss one start, I wouldn't be opposed to letting Pena pitch on Sunday.

ChiTownTrojan
07-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Now I'm not saying this will happen with Peavy, but we should hope for the best and expect the worst.

Why should we expect the worst? I have absolutely no expectations until I hear what the doctors say after the MRI.

Randar68
07-07-2010, 02:31 PM
Why should we expect the worst? I have absolutely no expectations until I hear what the doctors say after the MRI.

No kidding. guy is comparing peavy to a laundry list relating to Tommy John issues. If Peavy has any hidden issue it's in his shoulder which is an entirely different type of animal.

Apples and oranges. Only thing Peavy has in common with that scenario is that they throw a baseball.

Boondock Saint
07-07-2010, 02:33 PM

I'm not sure if you just screwed up the idiom a bit, or if you're accounting for the standard WSI attitude.

hi im skot
07-07-2010, 02:33 PM
We don't have anyone better than Jeff Marquez to bring up? Holy ****, does our minor league system suck when Marquez is the third option to be brought up. :o:

He's just coming up as a body. He'd be in a mop-up role until Pena gets rested up.

It's unlikely that we'd even see him.

JB98
07-07-2010, 02:40 PM
He's just coming up as a body. He'd be in a mop-up role until Pena gets rested up.

It's unlikely that we'd even see him.

Agreed. You just need another body to eat innings in case a starter gets knocked out early sometime between now and Saturday, which is probably the next time Pena would be available to pitch.

If the Sox don't bring anybody up, Linebrink is your long reliever the next couple days. Does anybody here seriously want that? I don't.

Put Peavy on the DL, bring up Marquez as an insurance policy. Don't use him unless necessary. Send him down after Saturday, then bring up Hudson to start Sunday's game.

Huisj
07-07-2010, 02:44 PM

Pena's appearances have been interesting this year. He's been called on 9 times this year to pitch 2 or more innings in an appearance. In those appearances, he's thrown 26.1 innings, given up 19 hits, struck out 21, and put up a 2.05 ERA. He's actually been very valuable in some of those games when starters left early. He's done that in two wins over Cleveland and a win over Anaheim now. Without it seeming like it at first glance, he's kind of the new Carrasco. Except that he blows up more often in short appearances it seems.

voodoochile
07-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Stone went through a career-ending injury himself, and like many of us he has seen this story before:

_____ hurts his arm.
_____ rests arm again.

The only thing I'd comment on this is that I think there's been just a few medical developments since Steve Stone pitched. In fact I'm pretty sure there was no MRI when Stone was an active participant in MLB. So I'll put my trust in the doctors and I'll hope for the best and expect the best because just because some star pitcher went through a series of injuries 30+ years ago that led to him being forced to retire (before MRI's and arthroscopic surgery and... and... and...) doesn't mean that will happen today. In fact, I find the concept so remote as to make me...

Ranger
07-07-2010, 02:53 PM

_____ hurts his arm.
_____ rests arm again.

Completely different injury. This is a muscle we're talking about, not ligaments or tendons.

Pena's appearances have been interesting this year. He's been called on 9 times this year to pitch 2 or more innings in an appearance. In those appearances, he's thrown 26.1 innings, given up 19 hits, struck out 21, and put up a 2.05 ERA. He's actually been very valuable in some of those games when starters left early. He's done that in two wins over Cleveland and a win over Anaheim now. Without it seeming like it at first glance, he's kind of the new Carrasco. Except that he blows up more often in short appearances it seems.

That's just not true. It's just that you only remember the blowups.

sox1970
07-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Hudson out of the futures game.

http://twitter.com/keithlaw/status/17971578473

esbrechtel
07-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Merkin just tweeted Hudson is out of futures game so he will more than likely be the pitcher sunday

thomas35forever
07-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Merkin just tweeted Hudson is out of futures game so he will more than likely be the pitcher sunday
As he should be.

eriqjaffe
07-07-2010, 03:05 PM
As he should be."

I assume that if Marquez is called up, it'd just be to add an arm to the bullpen for a few days, just in case, and then he'll get sent down in time to bring Hudson up.

voodoochile
07-07-2010, 03:06 PM

The human mind is a dark and mysterious place and much of the ability to remember bad things is deeply rooted in our instincts.

You see when our genetic ancestors went to the watering hole and our good buddy Fred got munched by a random predator, our brains started imprinting the information so we could figure out how not to become Fred the next time we went for a drink.

Now when a less deadly but still bad thing happens to us, our brain starts hardwiring the information to be used for the future because you never know when a sports hero getting injured might save us from becoming Fred. Basically our brains don't know the difference and the minute our emotions spike screaming "NOOOOOO" and kick the adrenal gland into high gear our brain shifts into overdrive and saves the relevant information for future use.

Then the next time something similar happens, we have a very vivid memory to recall and that in turn causes a surge in adrenalin and a surge in emotions too. The result is the first several pages of this thread and can still be seen in the later posts even after we learned that the injury is as good as one could hope for - at least on the surface and given what we saw last night when our brains screamed "LOOK OUT FRED!" only to watch him get chomped...

SI1020
07-07-2010, 03:10 PM
The use of MRI's dates back to 1977, although I'm sure they are much more sophisticated and advanced today. I've been of the opinion that Peavy hasn't been healthy since his first start this year. Just looking at his motion and mechanics, comparing to what it was in San Diego, his velocity, and hesitancy in using his excellent slider. After the problem with fluid buildup he seemed to find his stride, but I have to say I don't like what I saw in last night's game. Sure you can say it's just a muscle, but a pretty big and important muscle for the violent throwing motion of a MLB pitcher. I can give personal testimony to the fact that muscle problems do not always stand out, no matter what kind of test is given. It is perfectly reasonable, given his history here and in San Diego to be concerned about Peavy's future. I have no crystal ball and in no way am declaring his career over. I'd expect him to be gone at least a month with this injury. I hope he comes back strong, I like the guy and his fighting spirit. I also think some posters took unnecessary bashing. Even if Peavy is back soon, this team needs him to win, and the task is that much more difficult now that he's injured.

markopat
07-07-2010, 03:13 PM
This thread is hilarious...what a huge range of emotions.

I do agree...prepare for the worst should be the plan. And keep the winning attitude. He plays one in 5 games...we will get through this!

GO GO SOX!

mzh
07-07-2010, 03:19 PM
This thread is hilarious...what a huge range of emotions.

I do agree...prepare for the worst should be the plan. And keep the winning attitude. He plays one in 5 games...we will get through this!

GO GO SOX!
All of the ranting going on in the LeBron threads, and you call THIS emotional???:D:

Taliesinrk
07-07-2010, 03:21 PM
There are several comments that I'm a bit confused on, and should maybe be clarified...
All I've heard is that it's suspected/possible that peavy injured his lat. Muscle (I don't think we can assume that this is independent of the tendon). Several people on here are saying that if this is the case, it means he didn't injure a tendon. While I understand the technical difference, there's a very fine line between muscle and tendon - I mean it's called a "muscle tendon". Also, people keep acting like this is great news because it's "just" a back muscle. While it may not be technically part of the shoulder, it's extremely closely related. It's main function is movement of the arm and the muscle (it's tendon) inserts onto the humerus. Clearly, if this is injured it could cause big problems with throwing.

I'm not trying to be a dark cloud, but I thought that it should be clarified for those just coming accross this news. If anyone has additional/better info. Or clarification, please correct mem

DumpJerry
07-07-2010, 03:24 PM
I never realized we had so many MDs here.

BadBobbyJenks
07-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Can someone give me an update on anything official released by the Sox?

Foulke You
07-07-2010, 03:28 PM
I do agree with the general point that Huisj was trying to make that Pena seems like he has been more effective in the "Carrasco" long relief role. There have been a bunch of games this year when he has come into a ballgame early and eaten up innings and saved the bullpen. He seems to struggle more coming into the inherited runner situations in the 6th or 7th innings. He isn't horrible at it, he is just inconsistent as a lot of guys out of the pen do who are 4th or 5th on the bullpen depth chart. I do believe Pena has value to this team and has been a pretty solid reliever though.

SI1020
07-07-2010, 03:30 PM
Pena has had his struggles in some of short appearances. Just a quick look and I count 6 meltdowns in appearances 2 innings or less. He does seem to be more reliable in the role Carrasco had last year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7818/gamelog;_ylt=Ak1DKpqj4Zjx2q2Qqwvsqa.FCLcF