PDA

View Full Version : US Cellular Field is full of spiders

HomeFish
07-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Anyone notice this? They live in the foliage on the Fan Deck and spread from there. The Billy Pierce statue was covered in webs yesterday.

Harry Chappas
07-06-2010, 03:07 PM
Anyone notice this? They live in the foliage on the Fan Deck and spread from there. The Billy Pierce statue was covered in webs yesterday.

I haven't noticed but as an arachnaphobe, I'm sure I will. Thanks!:o:

BRDSR
07-06-2010, 03:07 PM
When I saw this thread title, I thought to myself: "Surely the thread title is not literally the subject of the thread. Surely it is some sort of creative or euphamstic way of referencing the actual subject matter of the thread."

Oops.

SephClone89
07-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Nope, never noticed. Can't be too big of a deal.

doublem23
07-06-2010, 03:41 PM
It's outdoors in Chicago in summer.

Frankly, I'd be more worried if there weren't any spiders.

Noneck
07-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Must cut down the ant population there.

Rocky Soprano
07-06-2010, 03:44 PM
Earlier this year a HUGE spider was crawling on my buddies shoulder. When I say HUGE, I mean HUGE! The guy sitting behind us, flicked it off with a pencil. No more than 20 minutes later, the spider was back on my buddy, he got flicked again.

chisoxfanatic
07-06-2010, 03:46 PM
A couple years ago, this lady in the row in front of me had one crawling in her hair for a good 15 minutes. She never knew it was there.

DumpJerry
07-06-2010, 03:48 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/79/260824255_96ea7f5449.jpg
Look, the White Sox are very exciting now. The Cubs suck so, we have nowhere else to go.

BadBobbyJenks
07-06-2010, 03:49 PM
This one time I saw a spider so I stepped on it.

doublem23
07-06-2010, 03:50 PM
This one time I saw a spider so I stepped on it.

YOU'RE DESTROYING THE DELICATE BALANCE OF NATURE.

P.S. Well done.

soxlady8
07-06-2010, 03:57 PM
DumpJerry -- awesome !!!

I actually believe spiders are good luck.They are a good luck superstition for me.
SO , I am actually GLAD to hear that US CELL is full of them.

When I see spiders there usually is something good associated with them in my life. :)

FielderJones
07-06-2010, 04:02 PM
So where were the spiders? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5nL1AUPGr0)

Ron Karkovice
07-06-2010, 04:06 PM
Spookiest WSI thread ever!

Iwritecode
07-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Anytime I find a spider I leave it alone. They keep the flies away which are much more annoying.

One time I smacked a bug right into a spider web. The spider came racing across the web and wrapped it up within a few minutes. It was actually pretty cool to watch.

SephClone89
07-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Add me to the list of sensible people who don't understand the big ****ing deal people make over spiders.:gulp:

october23sp
07-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Add me to the list of sensible people who don't understand the big ****ing deal people make over spiders.:gulp:

They are creepy as ****. I don't mind them if I am outside, but if they are in my house I will freak the **** out.

BleacherBandit
07-06-2010, 04:21 PM
I thought this thread was announcing the ressurection of the Cleveland Spiders.

SephClone89
07-06-2010, 04:29 PM
They are creepy as ****. I don't mind them if I am outside, but if they are in my house I will freak the **** out.

But most of them are tiny and harmless. They can't do **** to you.

Coops4Aces
07-06-2010, 04:35 PM

What he said. Those things creep me out! And yes, the Cell does have a ton of spiders but I'd assume every stadium does.

bridgeportcopper
07-06-2010, 04:44 PM
We are lucky, Wrigley has "rats, as big as picks" according to Ozzie. :D:

october23sp
07-06-2010, 04:49 PM

When I see tiny and harmless ones in my house I will kill it with a tissue, when I see the big ****ers in my house I will freak out and grab the biggest thing I can find and start whacking at it.

soltrain21
07-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Hopefully they stick around for late October - and not just for Halloween.

Woofer
07-06-2010, 07:22 PM
Sure, nobody thinks spiders at the Cell are a problem. The next thing you know, Gordon Beckham is trapped completely in a web, and spiders are sucking out his vital juices. It could happen people. Sounds like the Sox need to have a Raid night.

SoxGirl4Life
07-06-2010, 07:30 PM
I walk through a spider's web at least one time a week walking down my front steps. I think its pretty hard to avoid outside. As long as they stay out of the house, I can't complain when they're doing their thing across my porch!

Brewski
07-06-2010, 08:25 PM
We are lucky, Wrigley has "rats, as big as picks" according to Ozzie. :D:

Which would explain the colony of feral cats living under the bleachers. Them rats (or picks) is mighty good eatin'.

Taliesinrk
07-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Which would explain the colony of feral cats living under the bleachers. Them rats (or picks) is mighty good eatin'.

hahahaha. Maybe I misunderstood Ozzie's quote, but if not, you may want to rewrite that last sentence...

TheCommander
07-06-2010, 09:15 PM
A couple years ago, this lady in the row in front of me had one crawling in her hair for a good 15 minutes. She never knew it was there.

Nice of you to let her know. :redneck

kaufsox
07-06-2010, 10:53 PM
I walk through a spider's web at least one time a week walking down my front steps. I think its pretty hard to avoid outside. As long as they stay out of the house, I can't complain when they're doing their thing across my porch!

oh man do I hate that! can't shake that feeling the rest of the day

GoGoCrede
07-06-2010, 10:55 PM

You didn't tell her?

LongLiveFisk
07-06-2010, 10:57 PM
I don't like spiders either. Some people take all of this lightly but the truth is you have to be very careful, as some spiders can do a LOT of damage. You don't want to be bitten by a brown recluse, let me tell you. (I can add some photos, but they are pretty graphic and horrific.)

soxinem1
07-06-2010, 11:19 PM
It's outdoors in Chicago in summer.

Frankly, I'd be more worried if there weren't any spiders.

I have no problems with spiders or bats. They get rid of annoying bugs by the ton.

Those spiders are paying their rent.

WhiteSox5187
07-06-2010, 11:26 PM
Wasn't there a problem of bats at the Cell years ago? My cousin swears to have seen bats around the ballpark.

TheCommander
07-06-2010, 11:29 PM
Wasn't there a problem of bats at the Cell years ago? My cousin swears to have seen bats around the ballpark.

Did they look anything like this?

http://bradley.chattablogs.com/baseball%20bats.jpg

:redneck

Rikirk
07-07-2010, 02:07 AM
Spiders are harmless people, leave them alone and theyll leave you alone.
The only ones to worry about are Brown Recluse and Black Widows.

DrCrawdad
07-07-2010, 05:03 AM

As long as they don't pose a threat to me (poisonous) I don't worry much about spiders. The ladies in my house often freak out over a spider in our place. Whenever I'm able I'll see if I can catch and release (outside).

When I see tiny and harmless ones in my house I will kill it with a tissue, when I see the big ****ers in my house I will freak out and grab the biggest thing I can find and start whacking at it.

Ok, but what about the spiders?

:)

doublem23
07-07-2010, 07:44 AM

That's what they want you to think.

YOU'RE MIND IS BEING CONTROLLED BY INSECT PROPOGANDA

doublem23
07-07-2010, 07:44 AM
Sure, nobody thinks spiders at the Cell are a problem. The next thing you know, Gordon Beckham is trapped completely in a web, and spiders are sucking out his vital juices. It could happen people. Sounds like the Sox need to have a Raid night.

I think we've all seen 8 Legged Freaks.

chisoxfanatic
07-07-2010, 07:55 AM
Try telling that to Jermaine Dye. He missed a few games due to spider bites.

doublem23
07-07-2010, 07:57 AM

They also leave you alone if you mercilessly kill them.

DrCrawdad
07-07-2010, 08:13 AM
Try telling that to Jermaine Dye. He missed a few games due to spider bites.

Spider bites? Slips in hot tub?

I think MLB has some type of a guizmo, a randomizer, that spits out excuses for why guys are out.

bigsoxfan420
07-07-2010, 08:22 AM
We used to sit in my buddies basement and put two wolf spiders in a jar and watch them fight until one of them was victorious. I was quite awesome.

Zisk77
07-07-2010, 08:31 AM
That's what they want you to think.

YOU'RE MIND IS BEING CONTROLLED BY INSECT PROPOGANDA

Spiders aren't insects, they are arachnids...have eight legs, a cephalothorax & abdomen, and cannot fly.

Insects have six legs, a head, thorax, 7 abdomen, and most as a species can fly.

this concludes your daily lesson in entomology. Tomorrow we discuss genital lice: friend or foe?

doublem23
07-07-2010, 08:33 AM
Spiders aren't insects, they are arachnids...have eight legs, a cephalothorax & abdomen, and cannot fly.

Insects have six legs, a head, thorax, 7 abdomen, and most as a species can fly.

Oh, so they got to you, to, eh?

skobabe8
07-07-2010, 08:56 AM
I was on the fan deck yesterday and noticed a big spider. I should have known it would be the subject of a thread on WSI.

Harry Chappas
07-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Nice of you to let her know. :redneck

If some well-intentioned stranger tapped me on the shoulder and said "dude, you have a spider in your hair" and they happened to be recording me, I would end up a YouTube legend. I would freak out and probably tear my shirt off.

My fear isn't rational but it's there nonetheless. I freaking hate spiders - even the little, harmless, guys. However, I'm willing to coexist with them at the Cell as long as we're in playoff contention and they don't crawl on me.

Zisk77
07-07-2010, 11:06 AM
Oh, so they got to you, to, eh?

LOL, well played. Remember, just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!:redneck

voodoochile
07-07-2010, 12:00 PM

A spider in my house is a bug. A bug in my house dies. Outdoors, I leave them be.

Here in California there seem to be a LOT of spiders - nice sized ones like wolf spiders are common. I killed like 4 of them in the first month that I found in the bathtub when I went to shower. The biggest was about 2" from leg tip to leg tip. Now I don't have any spiders in the bathtub anymore.

People who say spiders are harmless should google these words:

"Brown Recluse Spider Bite Pictures"

Not for the faint of heart and DON'T post them here...

Boondock Saint
07-07-2010, 12:03 PM

:thumbsup:

Boondock Saint
07-07-2010, 12:05 PM
People who say spiders are harmless should google these words:

"Brown Recluse Spider Bite Pictures"

Not for the faint of heart and DON'T post them here...

Sweet ****ing Jesus. I should have known better than to look it up.

eriqjaffe
07-07-2010, 12:08 PM
http://www.inthenews.co.uk/photo/help-at-hand-for-arachnophobes-$7032447$300.jpg
"Would anyone object if I tore this floor out?"

TomBradley72
07-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Sweet ****ing Jesus. I should have known better than to look it up.

Wow. ****ing brutal.

Mendoza Line
07-07-2010, 02:32 PM
So long as Camel Spiders never adapt to temperate climate zones, I'll be ok...

chisoxfanatic
07-07-2010, 02:52 PM
We don't get brown recluse or wolf spiders in the city of Chicago, do we? Just regular house spiders, right?

doublem23
07-07-2010, 02:58 PM
We don't get brown recluse or wolf spiders in the city of Chicago, do we? Just regular house spiders, right?

Brown recluse are not very common up here, because of our cold winters, but it's not unheard of for them to get this far north in the summer. Their native range comes all the way up to Southern Illinois and Indiana. Rare, but not unbelievable.

They're big ****ing spiders, though. Hard to miss.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/13/Brown-recluse-coin-edit.jpg/800px-Brown-recluse-coin-edit.jpg (not a picture of a bite, just a size comparison)

AnkleSox
07-07-2010, 04:28 PM

I think the problem at the Cell the past few years has been a lack of bats, actually.

Boondock Saint
07-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Brown recluse are not very common up here, because of our cold winters, but it's not unheard of for them to get this far north in the summer. Their native range comes all the way up to Southern Illinois and Indiana. Rare, but not unbelievable.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/13/Brown-recluse-coin-edit.jpg/800px-Brown-recluse-coin-edit.jpg (not a picture of a bite, just a size comparison)

I couldn't keep that picture open for more than 2-3 seconds. Freaked me the hell out.

cbotnyse
07-07-2010, 05:28 PM
We don't get brown recluse or wolf spiders in the city of Chicago, do we? Just regular house spiders, right?my brother took a picture of a common house spider we get in the city. This was taken with a marco lens, which gets in almost like a microscope. The spider is extremely small, but he got a cool pic. http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4020/4715148176_66a070847e_b.jpg

october23sp
07-07-2010, 05:29 PM
my brother took a picture of a common house spider we get in the city. This was taken with a marco lens, which gets in almost like a microscope. The spider is extremely small, but he got a cool pic. http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4020/4715148176_66a070847e_b.jpg

:o:

Rohan
07-08-2010, 03:36 PM
I found four or five spiders on me yesterday at the game. They came out like crazy after it stopped pouring. I was all the way up in section 531 row 13.

Something needs to be done about them. It's just not a pleasant thought to think about how many spiders crawl over you when you sit down. Not to mention the fact that once it happens once you continue to feel that crawling sensation for the rest of the night.

HomeFish
07-08-2010, 04:05 PM
I found four or five spiders on me yesterday at the game. They came out like crazy after it stopped pouring. I was all the way up in section 531 row 13.

Something needs to be done about them. It's just not a pleasant thought to think about how many spiders crawl over you when you sit down. Not to mention the fact that once it happens once you continue to feel that crawling sensation for the rest of the night.

I'm honestly going to write Brooks about this.

ewokpelts
07-08-2010, 04:10 PM
yet another sign of an organization in decline

Frankfan4life
07-08-2010, 05:51 PM
We used to sit in my buddies basement and put two wolf spiders in a jar and watch them fight until one of them was victorious. I was quite awesome.You get the same effect when you put two of those black carpenter ants in a jar together. They rip each other apart.

Rohan
07-08-2010, 05:52 PM

Or just an off year for species that normally eat spiders?

doublem23
07-08-2010, 07:25 PM

Lights, spiders... THESE GUYS HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY'RE DOING.

I mean, it RAINED two out of the four games with the Angels. The Sox brass is so out of touch with the fans who don't like sitting in the rain.

Taliesinrk
07-08-2010, 08:07 PM
You guys kind of have me freaked out... I don't want spiders on me at the games.

ewokpelts
07-13-2010, 11:19 AM
Lights, spiders... THESE GUYS HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY'RE DOING.

I mean, it RAINED two out of the four games with the Angels. The Sox brass is so out of touch with the fans who don't like sitting in the rain.
at sunday's game, i found TWO broken water fountains. do the sox have ANY shame?

roylestillman
07-13-2010, 11:58 AM
Somebody better check Konerko and Thornton's luggage on the way home from LA, too.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jul/04/local/la-me-plague-squirrel-20100704

That's all we need are some plague infected squirrels running around. Bad for attendance.

Zisk77
07-13-2010, 12:12 PM

No, Brown recluse are small brown spiders. If they are a dime size or bigger there not a recluse. They are also native to south Ga. and Fla. They sometimes come North in vacationers luggage but can't survive our winters. However, shortly after WWII in back cheap and efficient to heat every square inch of our homes. They have adapted and become house spiders in the north. Housewives cleaning are the ones most often bit.

Ironically, those bigger scarier looking spiders are harmless but they eat brown recluse.

chisoxfanatic
07-13-2010, 02:17 PM
Somebody better check Konerko and Thornton's luggage on the way home from LA, too.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jul/04/local/la-me-plague-squirrel-20100704

That's all we need are some plague infected squirrels running around. Bad for attendance.
I doubt Paulie and Matt will return home after the game. They'll most likely go straight to Minnesota, to which I say, spread the plague at Target Field!

DumpJerry
07-13-2010, 03:00 PM

No, Brown recluse are small brown spiders. If they are a dime size or bigger there not a recluse. They are also native to south Ga. and Fla. They sometimes come North in vacationers luggage but can't survive our winters. However, shortly after WWII in back cheap and efficient to heat every square inch of our homes. They have adapted and become house spiders in the north. Housewives cleaning are the ones most often bit.

Ironically, those bigger scarier looking spiders are harmless but they eat brown recluse.
The John Hancock Building in Chicago is infested with Brown Recluse spiders. Apparently they built the building on an Indian burial ground or something along those lines which upset people who placed the curse on building.

Jerko
07-13-2010, 03:01 PM
The John Hancock Building in Chicago is infested with Brown Recluse spiders. Apparently they built the building on an Indian burial ground or something along those lines which upset people who placed the curse on building.

This could be in the Stephen King thread.

TheVulture
07-13-2010, 03:21 PM
No, Brown recluse are small brown spiders. If they are a dime size or bigger there not a recluse.

Not true. They can be quite large, but the smaller young ones are more dangerous as they aren't able to regulate the amount of venom they inject.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r115/subgenius88/800px-Brown-recluse-coin-edit.jpg

doublem23
07-13-2010, 03:26 PM

Seeing as the land the John Hancock Building sits on didn't exist until the turn of the 20th Century I'm going to have to say... You should have gone with the Sears Tower. :wink:

DumpJerry
07-13-2010, 03:30 PM
Seeing as the land the John Hancock Building sits on didn't exist until the turn of the 20th Century I'm going to have to say... You should have gone with the Sears Tower. :wink:
I heard the story on a ghost tour. Maybe it wasn't a burial ground, but someone placed a curse on it because he did not want the building built.

doublem23
07-13-2010, 03:34 PM
I heard the story on a ghost tour. Maybe it wasn't a burial ground, but someone placed a curse on it because he did not want the building built.

I would assume at this point, Native Americans have cursed pretty much all of the contiguous United States.

chisoxfanatic
07-13-2010, 03:52 PM
I would assume at this point, Native Americans have cursed pretty much all of the contiguous United States.
And the biggest curse was put at the intersection of Clark and Addison, no?

Ex-Chicagoan
07-13-2010, 04:18 PM
We've got these little black ones with blue fangs in the garden. I thought nothing of them until I learned that they can jump about six feet.

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-13-2010, 04:23 PM
I almost wonder if the bite on my ankle is from a spider. I noticed it the day after I was in the bleachers when the Sox played the Angels.

chisoxfanatic
07-13-2010, 04:25 PM
We've got these little black ones with blue fangs in the garden. I thought nothing of them until I learned that they can jump about six feet.
Spiders can jump 6 FEET? :o:

TomBradley72
07-13-2010, 04:45 PM
Time for a "Turn Back the Clock" game?

http://www.google.com/images?q=tbn:ESmjCtHwuYbbVM::www.ootpdevelopments. com/board/attachments/earlier-versions-ootp-mods/5589d1069130871-cleveland-spiders-logo-clevelandspiders2.jpg&h=94&w=94&usg=__8fiJhmFpl3-EuDpvubUSK3URtVQ= (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/attachments/earlier-versions-ootp-mods/5589d1069130871-cleveland-spiders-logo-clevelandspiders2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://daymix.com/Cleveland-Spiders-Logo/&h=213&w=213&sz=18&tbnid=ESmjCtHwuYbbVM:&tbnh=106&tbnw=106&prev=/images%3Fq%3DCleveland%2BSpiders%2Blogo&hl=en&usg=__SuFvp2o2WV5jdILE1Q03lUFTBps=&sa=X&ei=P948TLCwGoaosQOEy7HaCg&ved=0CBoQ9QEwAg)

Railsplitter
07-14-2010, 09:33 AM
Time for a "Turn Back the Clock" game?

http://www.google.com/images?q=tbn:ESmjCtHwuYbbVM::www.ootpdevelopments. com/board/attachments/earlier-versions-ootp-mods/5589d1069130871-cleveland-spiders-logo-clevelandspiders2.jpg&h=94&w=94&usg=__8fiJhmFpl3-EuDpvubUSK3URtVQ= (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/attachments/earlier-versions-ootp-mods/5589d1069130871-cleveland-spiders-logo-clevelandspiders2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://daymix.com/Cleveland-Spiders-Logo/&h=213&w=213&sz=18&tbnid=ESmjCtHwuYbbVM:&tbnh=106&tbnw=106&prev=/images%3Fq%3DCleveland%2BSpiders%2Blogo&hl=en&usg=__SuFvp2o2WV5jdILE1Q03lUFTBps=&sa=X&ei=P948TLCwGoaosQOEy7HaCg&ved=0CBoQ9QEwAg)
:redneck
Contraction's poster child! The 1899 Cleveland Spiders and thier 20-134 record!

On a serious note, I hope the spidiers have reduced the mosquito population a bit.

Zisk77
07-14-2010, 09:45 AM
Not true. They can be quite large, but the smaller young ones are more dangerous as they aren't able to regulate the amount of venom they inject.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r115/subgenius88/800px-Brown-recluse-coin-edit.jpg
They only grow from .25 to .75 of an inch on avg. I think The problem is that official measurements only take in the account of their cephalothorax an abdomen and not their legspan. Either way they are not large. They are often misidentified with other large brown harmless spiders. What separates them (other than necrotic venom) is they only have 6 eyes arranged in dyads...If you can see their eyes you are TOO BLEEPING CLOSE! :tongue:

salty99
07-14-2010, 10:04 AM
I'm honestly going to write Brooks about this.

So what did he say?

LongLiveFisk
07-14-2010, 10:13 AM

Yes, so be careful if you work or visit there. You don't want to end up in the TV calling out for help.

Ron Karkovice
07-14-2010, 11:52 AM
Mods: Please make this thread a sticky.

Thank you,
Ron

doublem23
07-14-2010, 12:01 PM
Mods: Please make this thread a sticky.

Thank you,
Ron

Why?

chisoxfanatic
07-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Apparently they infested an apartment complex in the Pekin/Chillicothe area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwMc8qUnW-k

Ron Karkovice
07-14-2010, 12:18 PM
Why?

Sorry, teal police...

I'm just very surprised a Sox Clubhouse thread about haunted US. Cellular Field spiders is still going strong...

TomBradley72
07-14-2010, 06:19 PM
Sorry, teal police...

I'm just very surprised a Sox Clubhouse thread about haunted US. Cellular Field spiders is still going strong...

All Star Break

bunty_doghunter
07-17-2010, 11:02 PM
I was quite awesome.
I doubt this.

bunty_doghunter
07-17-2010, 11:04 PM
I think the problem at the Cell the past few years has been a lack of bats, actually.
Extra bonus points for you!