DumpJerry
07-06-2010, 03:08 PM
For Winston-Salem
Thru 2 games- 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 K, 1 BB
http://jccclib.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/cy_young_award.jpg
http://www.mlbtoday.net/wp-content/upload/Baseball-Hall-of-Fame.jpg

Tragg
07-07-2010, 12:11 AM
Our first round d raft choice is a bullpen pitcher???? Or are they just bringing him along slowly?

Sam Spade
07-07-2010, 12:14 AM
Our first round d raft choice is a bullpen pitcher???? Or are they just bringing him along slowly?

He already pitched a lot of innings this year, and he is supposedly close to MLB ready. So they decided to give him a shot at the bullpen, with the long term goal of him possibly starting.

sox1970
07-07-2010, 12:14 AM

He'll be a starter next year. It's possible he'll be in the Sox bullpen this September, so that's how they're using him this season.

KRS1
07-07-2010, 12:16 AM

Well, if the reports/rumors are true, it's because he REALLY wants to be up with the big club this season. Probably not the best choice for his long term upside, but he was already one of the most bigs ready pitchers in the draft, so...

Tragg
07-07-2010, 12:16 AM
He already pitched a lot of innings this year, and he is supposedly close to MLB ready. So they decided to give him a shot at the bullpen, with the long term goal of him possibly starting.
Thanks Slowly is good.
Bullpen isn't good, unless it's for short term only.

DirtySox
07-07-2010, 01:43 AM
Echoing what has been said. Sale has pitched a significant amount of innings this year. To lighten his workload they are pitching him out of the pen for the rest of the year. This is a fine idea. If he pitches well enough, the Sox are willing to give him a shot out of the major league pen near the end of this season. Long term he is a starter.

Huisj
07-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Why does this first year bullpen strategy they have planned for him keep giving me scary visions of Andrew Miller with the Tigers in 2006? I guess beyond just the surface of being 1st round tall lefties out of college with good fastball and somewhat odd mechanics, they aren't all that similar--Miller was a fireballer with a big slider in college who was pretty raw with his control, and from what we've heard, Sale has great control of multiple pitches, so that's not really similar I guess.

shes
07-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Buehrle came out of the bullpen, too, when he was first called up. I don't see a problem with it.

Huisj
07-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Buehrle came out of the bullpen, too, when he was first called up. I don't see a problem with it.

Not the same situation at all though. Buehrle was not drafted in 2000. He spent the first half of the season dominating as a starter in Birmingham. Three of his first four appearances with the Sox were actually starts.

Pablo_Honey
07-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Why does this first year bullpen strategy they have planned for him keep giving me scary visions of Andrew Miller with the Tigers in 2006? I guess beyond just the surface of being 1st round tall lefties out of college with good fastball and somewhat odd mechanics, they aren't all that similar--Miller was a fireballer with a big slider in college who was pretty raw with his control, and from what we've heard, Sale has great control of multiple pitches, so that's not really similar I guess.
In all fairness, Miller only threw 5 innings over 3 appearances in high A before being promoted. From what I gathered, Sale would be pitching in W-S and Charlotte before joining the pen in August or September, and that's a scenario when all goes well for Sale. My assumption is that should Sale struggle in AAA, he may not get promoted to the big league club. I see where you are coming from, though. Miller has been disappointing so far. His struggle is not so surprising considering the kid never pitched a full season in the minors. Hopefully the Sox will demote Sale if he proves to be inefficient.

California Sox
07-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Miller and Sale don't have that much in common. Yes, they are both lefties with 3/4 deliveries, but Miller always had amazing stuff with below average to bad control. Sale's stuff isn't as electric, but he knows where it's going. Miller never developed command, that's why he hasn't succeeded yet. Sale is much further along in that department. I don't think a couple of months in the bullpen are going to derail him.

Tragg
07-08-2010, 09:43 AM

I like putting a starter in a ML bullpen for a 1/2 season or so.

My question is rushing a first round draft choice for middle relief work.
There seems to be little long term thinking at all in this organization.

rdivaldi
07-08-2010, 10:10 AM

"Rushing" is all dependent on the player. If Sale is able to handle multiple levels of the minors, there's no reason not to promote him except to keep him another year further from free agency. Also, part of the negotiations that got him signed so quickly is the White Sox willingness to give him a shot to move up to the majors quickly. They would look completely disingenuous if they didn't give him the opportunity, which would hurt them long term with every draft pick.

Bottom line, the White Sox did the proper short and long term planning.

TomBradley72
07-08-2010, 10:36 AM

You're right, we'll always be "hand to mouth" until (some day) we actually have a consistent pipeline of talent working it's way through the minor league system.

If we had any LH relief depth in the organization, we wouldn't need to consider him a potential option for later this season.

We have almost nothing below AAA right now. A few years ago, we had nothing above AA.

GAsoxfan
07-08-2010, 11:04 AM
You're right, we'll always be "hand to mouth" until (some day) we actually have a consistent pipeline of talent working it's way through the minor league system.

If we had any LH relief depth in the organization, we wouldn't need to consider him a potential option for later this season.

We have almost nothing below AAA right now. A few years ago, we had nothing above AA.

Relievers are one of the few positions where the Sox have some quality below AAA.

As far as Sale's situation, I don't have a problem with it. If he continues to succeed, he moves up. If he struggles, he doesn't.

EMachine10
07-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Another scoreless inning and hold, with 2 K's and no hits allowed tonight.

Tragg
07-08-2010, 09:24 PM
Bottom line, the White Sox did the proper short and long term planning.
Hope you're right.
But my impression is that he's not a particularly high ceiling pick and that we drafted him with the intention of using him quickly. I just don't think that that's the best use of a draft and a major cause of our persistent thin organization.

I hope your impression is the correct one.

SephClone89
07-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Hope you're right.
But my impression is that he's not a particularly high ceiling pick and that we drafted him with the intention of using him quickly. I just don't think that that's the best use of a draft and a major cause of our persistent thin organization.

I'm not a draft/prospect expert by any means, but it was my impression that he was a complete steal where we got him. He was ranked top 5 in the draft. Sounds pretty high ceiling to me.

DirtySox
07-08-2010, 10:03 PM
I'm not a draft/prospect expert by any means, but it was my impression that he was a complete steal where we got him. He was ranked top 5 in the draft. Sounds pretty high ceiling to me.

Correct, most places had him that high and would consider him a steal. I think Keith Law is the only one who isn't enamored with him.

BigHurt3515
07-08-2010, 10:20 PM
For Winston-Salem
Thru 2 games- 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 K, 1 BB

Thru 3 games- 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 3 K, 1 BB

rdivaldi
07-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Hope you're right.

Sale was considered to be the top college pitching prospect in the draft and most consider him to be a future front-end of the rotation pitcher. His stuff is pretty impressive, although he does have a 3/4 arm slot and an unorthodox delivery, which brings about the question on whether or not he's an injury risk. While it is not very White Sox-like to bring a guy to the majors the year he was drafted, I'm sure that will only be the case if he proves himself along the way.

I think we have a pretty deep major league roster and some talent in AAA that is able to help out. I will admit that Birmingham is pretty putrid, W/S is full of players that should be past that level and Kanny is also wanting for more talent. But farm systems can be turned around pretty quickly with 1 or 2 good drafts.

Me too! :D:

Ditka v. God
07-08-2010, 11:44 PM
Correct, most places had him that high and would consider him a steal. I think Keith Law is the only one who isn't enamored with him.

What a shocker!

DirtySox
07-09-2010, 12:20 AM
What a shocker!

To be fair, he had him in the 40's even before the White Sox drafted him. He just isn't a big fan of Sale.

russ99
07-09-2010, 09:43 AM
I like what the Sox are doing with Sale. Look at guys like Wood, Prior and Willis, all put up way too many innings their draft year and it came back to bite them.

If the bullpen experiment doesn't work out, he didn't get overworked and begins next year in AA as a starter.

Tragg
07-09-2010, 09:46 AM
If the bullpen experiment doesn't work out, he didn't get overworked and begins next year in AA as a starter.
If the bullpen DOES work out he needs to start next year as a starter.

SephClone89
07-09-2010, 10:36 AM
If the bullpen DOES work out he needs to start next year as a starter.

Don't think Russ was indicating otherwise.

Pablo_Honey
07-09-2010, 02:55 PM
I like what the Sox are doing with Sale. Look at guys like Wood, Prior and Willis, all put up way too many innings their draft year and it came back to bite them.
I don't mean to be nitpicky and rude but all the guys you listed barely pitched in their draft years (Wood pitched 7.1 innings, Prior didn't pitch at all and Willis pitched 28). Still, I agree that having Sale pitch in the pen should be beneficial to his short term health.

I really hope so. The Sox have rushed, albeit only two I can think of, prospects based on ST performance (Rauch and Logan) Also, I think he would begin his season in Charlotte if he does not make the rotation, considering that's where he would have pitched last this season.

soxfanreggie
07-09-2010, 08:40 PM
I'm fine with the Sox brass keeping their word to Sale. If he can come up in a month or month and a half and help us make the playoffs and succeed in the playoffs, then I'm all for it. I hope he understands that he won't progress along up to the MLB club if he's struggling though.

Sockinchisox
07-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Sale with his first rough outing.

1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K

BigHurt3515
07-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Thru 3 games- 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 3 K, 1 BB

Thru 4 games- 4 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 4 K, 2 BB, 2.25 ERA

SephClone89
07-12-2010, 10:12 PM

Bust.

DirtySox
07-13-2010, 02:23 PM
He's been promoted to AAA.

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2010/jul/13/mlb-locals-former-fgcu-pitcher-chris-sale-promoted/

cws05champ
07-13-2010, 02:48 PM

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2010/jul/13/mlb-locals-former-fgcu-pitcher-chris-sale-promoted/
You have to be kidding me....from High A to AAA after just 4 appearances? Erik Threets just pissed in his pants. They really want to get this kid up here now that we are in contention.

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-13-2010, 02:49 PM

That was fast.

sox1970
07-13-2010, 02:50 PM
This probably means that he'll be on the Sox before September 1. They're not going to bring him up after and regret not having him eligible for the playoffs. Unless there's some rule that I don't know about.

GAsoxfan
07-13-2010, 03:18 PM

That's fine with me. Throw him in the deep end and see if he can swim.

DSpivack
07-13-2010, 03:58 PM
This probably means that he'll be on the Sox before September 1. They're not going to bring him up after and regret not having him eligible for the playoffs. Unless there's some rule that I don't know about.

He could replace an injured player, unless that rule has been changed.

DonnieDarko
07-13-2010, 05:40 PM

Holy crap that was quick. :o:

As a previous poster said, Threets must be pissing in his pants. Wow.

Tragg
07-13-2010, 10:44 PM
NOthing like rushing the number 16 picke in the draft so he can contribute to middle relief.

That's the way to build up a minor league system - grow your own middle relievers.

sox1970
07-13-2010, 10:58 PM
NOthing like rushing the number 16 picke in the draft so he can contribute to middle relief.

That's the way to build up a minor league system - grow your own middle relievers.

13th pick, and he'll be a starter next year in minors. The more you know....

ilsox7
07-13-2010, 10:59 PM
Holy crap that was quick. :o:

As a previous poster said, Threets must be pissing in his pants. Wow.

This has been the plan since day 1. Makes a lot of sense when you think about it. He was not going to throw many innings this year anyways, so this limits his innings and who knows, maybe he can contribute to the bug club down the stretch.

Rockabilly
07-13-2010, 11:00 PM

wow that was fast...

rdivaldi
07-13-2010, 11:15 PM
Everyone needs to read this article before venting about "rushing" Sale.

6th paragraph down explains the circumstances (http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=2550)

cws05champ
07-14-2010, 09:22 AM

6th paragraph down explains the circumstances (http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=2550)
I did read it when he first signed....I still think he is being rushed. From High A to AAA after 4 appearances is still rushed. I know he will be a reliever this year and go back to starting but I still think you need to keep him on a steady progression to AA for a bit and then AAA.

rdivaldi
07-14-2010, 10:35 AM
I did read it when he first signed....I still think he is being rushed. From High A to AAA after 4 appearances is still rushed. I know he will be a reliever this year and go back to starting but I still think you need to keep him on a steady progression to AA for a bit and then AAA.

I think there are plenty with your line of thinking, but is there any prevailing reason why you think this?

cws05champ
07-14-2010, 11:27 AM
I think there are plenty with your line of thinking, but is there any prevailing reason why you think this?
There is a reason there are different levels of minor league baseball, to develop talent as it matures against similar or better competition. If he was simply overmatching High A hitters, that's fine. But I don't know why they would skip AA Birmingham and go to a band box in AAA after only 4 IP when he is still probably getting his body used to relieving again (which he hasn't done in 2 years). There is a big difference between pitching at Florida Gulf Coast college in front of a couple thousand people and pitching in the majors in front of 35-40K.

Tragg
07-14-2010, 12:37 PM

You know a lot more about this than I do.
But, as I read that article, it really doesn't say we aren't rushing him; it just explains why we are rushing him - so JR wouldn't have to pay over slot.

rdivaldi
07-14-2010, 09:14 PM
There is a reason there are different levels of minor league baseball, to develop talent as it matures against similar or better competition. If he was simply overmatching High A hitters, that's fine. But I don't know why they would skip AA Birmingham and go to a band box in AAA after only 4 IP when he is still probably getting his body used to relieving again (which he hasn't done in 2 years). There is a big difference between pitching at Florida Gulf Coast college in front of a couple thousand people and pitching in the majors in front of 35-40K.

Isn't that first part kind of a guess on your part? I haven't gotten any video of his appearances in W/S, so there's no way to know for sure whether or not he was having an easy go of it.

Skipping AA is not that big of a deal, often there are more talented players in AA than AAA. Also, I can't imagine that the org. would risk hurting this guys arm after just giving him over a million dollars. The Sox do have a pretty good history of keeping their pitchers injury free, so I'm going to trust that they have an idea of how to acclimate Sale to the bullpen with no problems.

07-14-2010, 09:23 PM
This whole "rushing" ideology is just plain garbage. The fact that people actually believe the only way to achieve is to go from point A to B to C then to D is beyond naive.

Coops4Aces
07-14-2010, 10:00 PM
This whole "rushing" ideology is just plain garbage. The fact that people actually believe the only way to achieve is to go from point A to B to C then to D is beyond naive.

Thank you! This x1000.

Who is to say that he wasn't already good to go but they are just letting him get his feet wet in the minors? I don't know and neither does anyone here. Maybe they are rushing him, but maybe he comes in and pulls another Bobby Jenks. I love the idea of bringing him up if he's ready. He could take some innings away from Matty Ice and maybe eat a few innings if we need a long reliever every once in a while.

BadBobbyJenks
07-14-2010, 10:42 PM
If he comes up here, he is taking over the Loogy role we just had Randy and Threets in, how much harm can that really cause him?

cws05champ
07-15-2010, 09:30 AM
Isn't that first part kind of a guess on your part? I haven't gotten any video of his appearances in W/S, so there's no way to know for sure whether or not he was having an easy go of it.

Skipping AA is not that big of a deal, often there are more talented players in AA than AAA. Also, I can't imagine that the org. would risk hurting this guys arm after just giving him over a million dollars. The Sox do have a pretty good history of keeping their pitchers injury free, so I'm going to trust that they have an idea of how to acclimate Sale to the bullpen with no problems.
Yes, it is a guess on my half on his appearances at W/S...that was part of my point, I don't know if he was overmatching guys or not because we can not tell from stats in 4 IP and there's no video.

And I know that there some of the top prospects in the game are at AA, but then why would they skip him over AA. AAA has some top prospects and some AAAA types that have seen ML pitching before.

There are exceptions to the norm of players following a progression through the system, and maybe he will be one of them. I hope he will be and will succeed early on.

I don't think every guy needs to go through the same progression through the minors, but the system is set up that way for a reason. My whole point is moving a guy up 2 levels(to one step away from the majors) after 4 IP in Pro baseball seems a bit drastic. I hope he does well and helps us down the stretch.

rdivaldi
07-15-2010, 09:42 AM
I don't think every guy needs to go through the same progression through the minors, but the system is set up that way for a reason. My whole point is moving a guy up 2 levels(to one step away from the majors) after 4 IP in Pro baseball seems a bit drastic. I hope he does well and helps us down the stretch.

Well put, I don't see anything wrong with your argument at all. I'm very anxious to see his outings in Charlotte.

DirtySox
07-15-2010, 02:15 PM
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/1048112299/georgia_1990_champions_normal.jpg (http://twitter.com/jimcallisBA) jimcallisBA (http://twitter.com/jimcallisBA)
Yes. Maybe Aug. 1. Will SP again next year. @WindyCityFlyer (http://twitter.com/WindyCityFlyer): Do you see Chris Sale breaking into the White Sox bullpen before season's end?

kjhanson
07-15-2010, 03:21 PM

This statement has already been lauded but it's worth more praise. Baseball is an incredibly variable game - both from the standpoint of what happens on the field - and what it takes to actually get on the field. Employing a one-size-fits-all model for any organization is plain ignorance.

Pablo_Honey
07-15-2010, 04:02 PM
This statement has already been lauded but it's worth more praise. Baseball is an incredibly variable game - both from the standpoint of what happens on the field - and what it takes to actually get on the field. Employing a one-size-fits-all model for any organization is plain ignorance.
I somewhat agree that some guys can afford to skip some levels of the minors, but minors aren't there just to prepare guys physically. It allows guys to prepare themselves mentally for the Show. If all the guy's ever experienced is success before getting called up, he is going to hit the wall hard and have trouble recovering from it (See: Gordon Beckham). The Sox as an organization has done a ****ty job at developing prospects and part of it has to do with occasionally rushing guys before giving them proper seasoning down in the minors. Where has that gotten the Sox?

I've been thinking more and more about the whole Sale thing and I'm starting to become weary of it. This just screams cheap all over and it looks like they exploited Sale's desire to play in the Show to get a discount without even thinking about long-term consequences. Hopefully they make him stay down in the minors until he is deemed ready and not bring him up just because they promised to bring him up.

Coops4Aces
07-15-2010, 04:09 PM
I somewhat agree that some guys can afford to skip some levels of the minors, but minors aren't there just to prepare guys physically. It allows guys to prepare themselves mentally for the Show. If all the guy's ever experienced is success before getting called up, he is going to hit the wall hard and have trouble recovering from it (See: Gordon Beckham). The Sox as an organization has done a ****ty job at developing prospects and part of it has to do with occasionally rushing guys before giving them proper seasoning down in the minors. Where has that gotten the Sox?

I've been thinking more and more about the whole Sale thing and I'm starting to become weary of it. This just screams cheap all over and it looks like they exploited Sale's desire to play in the Show to get a discount without even thinking about long-term consequences. Hopefully they make him stay down in the minors until he is deemed ready and not bring him up just because they promised to bring him up.

:rolleyes: Come on. Many many people have a sophomore slump, that's why there is a term for it. Beckham will be fine IMO and nothing that has happened to him has any bearing on Sale.

russ99
07-15-2010, 04:14 PM

I don't know about this.

If the guy is up for AAA competition, there's no reason for him to go to AA to pad his stats and make him and the team feel he's better than he is.

I'd rather see him get challenged at AAA. If he falters, starting in AA it is. If not, he may be ready for the Show.

I doubt that Sale being a SP next year set in stone either. Jenks and Thornton are FAs at the end of next season, Putz is a FA this season. He's working with Thigpen, sounds to me like he's being groomed to close.

I could easily see him setting up and/or closing ballgames with the big club before the end of next year. That may annoy certain people that think using a high draft pick pitcher as a closer is wasteful, but if he can help the club and solidify the position for the next 5 years, then why not?

DirtySox
07-15-2010, 04:23 PM
I don't know about this.

If the guy is up for AAA competition, there's no reason for him to go to AA to pad his stats and make him and the team feel he's better than he is.

I'd rather see him get challenged at AAA. If he falters, starting in AA it is. If not, he may be ready for the Show.

I doubt that Sale being a SP next year set in stone either. Jenks and Thornton are FAs at the end of next season, Putz is a FA this season. He's working with Thigpen, sounds to me like he's being groomed to close.

I could easily see him setting up and/or closing ballgames with the big club before the end of next year. That may annoy certain people that think using a high draft pick pitcher as a closer is wasteful, but if he can help the club and solidify the position for the next 5 years, then why not?

I assure you his long-term role isn't in the bullpen.

Pablo_Honey
07-15-2010, 07:34 PM
:rolleyes: Come on. Many many people have a sophomore slump, that's why there is a term for it. Beckham will be fine IMO and nothing that has happened to him has any bearing on Sale.
True but you can tell he's pressing himself too much. I'm worried he may never recover from his slump and will lose his natural hitting groove forever. Beckham is one talented dude but he seems mentally weak right now. Also, sophmore slump is a myth but I digress.

I don't know about this.

Well I'm not a big fan of a prospect skipping a minor league level but in Sale's case, I don't mind it much since he is a polished college arm afterall. My main concern is with him being rushed to the big league which, as countless AAAA players have proven, is a drastic jump in talent level. He will join the team in the pen this year and I'm fine with that. What concerns me is that they are planning to have him join the rotation next year if all goes well and that's seriously concerning. Let the kid get a taste of a full season of minor league before deciding whether or not he should start for your team.

You just don't waste a talent like Sale to be your bullpen arm. He's got a good command and three usable pitches. That has the makings of a solid starter not a closer. I'd think the Sox will have Santos close before even thinking about giving Sale a bullpen job let alone close. Now, if Sale shows health concerns, perhaps a move to the pen is the best move for him but otherwise, he has to be a starter. I just don't think this farm system would get any better by drafting based on needs. Besides, last time the Sox drafted a reliever in the first round, we missed out on a good starting pitcher.

pearso66
07-15-2010, 07:40 PM
True but you can tell he's pressing himself too much. I'm worried he may never recover from his slump and will lose his natural hitting groove forever. Beckham is one talented dude but he seems mentally weak right now. Also, sophmore slump is a myth but I digress.

I may be wrong, but I think he's going to bust out of his slump, and pretty soon. He's been hitting the ball hard for a few weeks, but they have been at people.

cws05champ
07-15-2010, 08:24 PM
You just don't waste a talent like Sale to be your bullpen arm. He's got a good command and three usable pitches. That has the makings of a solid starter not a closer. I'd think the Sox will have Santos close before even thinking about giving Sale a bullpen job let alone close. Now, if Sale shows health concerns, perhaps a move to the pen is the best move for him but otherwise, he has to be a starter. I just don't think this farm system would get any better by drafting based on needs. Besides, last time the Sox drafted a reliever in the first round, we missed out on a good starting pitcher.
No doubt...Sale will be a starter. The sox may have some FA out of the bullpen soon but most of their minors are filled with reliever types(Bellamy, Jones, Santos Rodriguez).

rdivaldi
07-16-2010, 09:34 AM
I may be wrong, but I think he's going to bust out of his slump, and pretty soon. He's been hitting the ball hard for a few weeks, but they have been at people.

Indeed he has busted out, Beckham is too talented to be held down for an entire season. It had nothing to do with "rushing" him, he was in an extended slump which can happen to players of all ages.

doublem23
07-16-2010, 09:41 AM
Indeed he has busted out, Beckham is too talented to be held down for an entire season. It had nothing to do with "rushing" him, he was in an extended slump which can happen to players of all ages.

If I had a dollar for every prospect "too talented to fail" that wound up doing nothing in their career, I could probably quit my job right now.

rdivaldi
07-16-2010, 10:39 AM
If I had a dollar for every prospect "too talented to fail" that wound up doing nothing in their career, I could probably quit my job right now.

Out of curiosity, who was the last one you thought that about? My biggest disappointment of the past 10 years continues to be Rauch, although he has seen some major league success.

sox1970
07-16-2010, 09:19 PM
7/16-AAA debut at Durham

Durham Bottom 7th

* Pitcher Change: Chris Sale replaces Jeffrey Marquez.
* Joe Dillon walks.
* Chris Richard grounds out, second baseman Fernando Cortez to first baseman Josh Kroeger. Joe Dillon to 2nd.
* Dioner Navarro strikes out swinging.
* Alvin Colina strikes out swinging.

BigHurt3515
07-17-2010, 03:01 AM

Thru 5 games (A and AAA)- 5 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 6 K, 3 BB, 1.80 ERA

Coops4Aces
07-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Dioner Navarro? That's fringe big league talent. I still can't believe he made an all-star game.

KMcMahon817
07-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Dioner Navarro? That's fringe big league talent. I still can't believe he made an all-star game.

There are a lot of catchers who have made an all-star appearance who have terrible offensive stats.

You need to look as far as Yadier Molina and .220 average this season. And he started.

BadBobbyJenks
07-18-2010, 03:42 PM
2/3, two strikeouts today.

BigHurt3515
07-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Thru 6 games (A and AAA)- 5.2 innings, 3 H, 1 ER, 8 K, 1.59 ERA

07-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Holy crap I missed paying attention to Sale the past few weeks but he is in AAA already?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????

sox1970
07-20-2010, 01:28 PM
7/20 vs Louisville, 22 pitches, 15 strikes

Pitcher Change: Chris Sale replaces Lucas Harrell.
Offensive Substitution: Pinch hitter Michael Griffin replaces Chris Dickerson.
Michael Griffin homers (1) on a fly ball to left field. Chris Denove scores.
Drew Sutton strikes out swinging

Louisville Top 7th

Yonder Alonso strikes out swinging.
Todd Frazier grounds out, first baseman Jeremy Reed to pitcher Chris Sale.

cards press box
07-21-2010, 08:57 AM
Todd Frazier grounds out, first baseman Jeremy Reed to pitcher Chris Sale.

Jeremy Reed plays first base and all three outfield positions, particularly center field (which he plays well). I wonder if Reed will be a future fourth or fifth outfielder/first baseman for the Sox.

doublem23
07-21-2010, 09:00 AM
Jeremy Reed plays first base and all three outfield positions, particularly center field (which he plays well). I wonder if Reed will be a future fourth or fifth outfielder/first baseman for the Sox.

Boy I hope not. Jeremy Reed sucks. So much.

Coops4Aces
07-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Boy I hope not. Jeremy Reed sucks. So much.

Kotsay bad?

cards press box
07-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Kotsay bad?

Reed plays the same positions as Kotsay and, at this point, is likely the better outfielder. I would, however, expect Kotsay to be the better pinch hitter, as Kotsay's lifetime average pinch hitting is around .325.

Domeshot17
07-21-2010, 10:28 AM
Kotsay bad?

I don't know. At first response I wanted to say worse, but I have to say, I am pretty confident Jeremy Reed can hit 225 with a 650 OPS, and he actually runs decent and plays good D.

doublem23
07-21-2010, 10:35 AM
I don't know. At first response I wanted to say worse, but I have to say, I am pretty confident Jeremy Reed can hit 225 with a 650 OPS, and he actually runs decent and plays good D.

I really wouldn't hedge my bets on that, Kotsay may be bad now but there was a time he was a legitimate above average MLB player who has been slowed by injuries and age.

Reed, for his careeer has a .666 OPS. He is just a terrible hitter. As miserable as it is watching Kotsay everyday in the lineup, Reed would be downright depressing.

sox1970
07-23-2010, 09:15 PM
7/23 at Indianapolis

Indianapolis Bottom 7th

* Pitcher Change: Chris Sale replaces Freddy Dolsi.
* Jonathan Van Every called out on strikes.
* Jim Negrych flies out to center fielder Alejandro De Aza.
* Luke Carlin grounds out, third baseman Luis Rodriguez to first baseman Josh Kroeger.

12 pitches, 7 strikes

JermaineDye05
07-24-2010, 12:45 AM
I'm fairly excited about Sale, but his delivery concerns me. It looks like an injury waiting to happen. IF the Sox have plans to use him as a starter in the near future, I'd like to see them work with his delivery.

Pablo_Honey
07-24-2010, 03:59 PM
I'm fairly excited about Sale, but his delivery concerns me. It looks like an injury waiting to happen. IF the Sox have plans to use him as a starter in the near future, I'd like to see them work with his delivery.
Yeah, but I wouldn't wanna mess with his arm slot because IIRC that's contributed to his success, and arm slots also work differently for different bodies. There is no concensus between mechanics guru on arm action. For example, some say scap load is good, some say it's bad.

First, the Sox should definitely stop him from recoiling after followthrough because it increases the risk of injury (I believe this is supported biologically). Also, I'd get him to use a bit more lower half to reduce strain on his arm. He's using his lower half adequately now but given his tall lanky frame, I'd like to see him generate the velocity without stressing the arm. Peavy displayed both of these problems and he has had health issues in his career. I don't want to see Sale following his path.

JermaineDye05
07-25-2010, 11:22 PM
Ozzie's inquired about Sale's availability.

Link (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100724&content_id=12574776&notebook_id=12576538&vkey=notebook_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws&partnerId=rss_cws)

SephClone89
07-25-2010, 11:32 PM
Ozzie's inquired about Sale's availability.

Link (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100724&content_id=12574776&notebook_id=12576538&vkey=notebook_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws&partnerId=rss_cws)

Fifth starter?

JermaineDye05
07-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Sale tonight

Struck out the first two batters he faced.

Gave up a homerun to Alex Presley and then gave up a single and walked the next two batters.

He got out of it throw by striking out the next guy looking.

His control wasn't the best tonight (35 pitches, 16 strikes).

He reminds me a bit of Buehrle the way he just gets the ball and throws it. Not a lot of time between pitches.

Coops4Aces
07-27-2010, 02:23 PM
How many innings did Sale pitch in college this year? My buddy said 150ish is what a Sun Times article is saying but I found a website that says 103. Anyone?

35th and Shields
07-27-2010, 02:34 PM
How many innings did Sale pitch in college this year? My buddy said 150ish is what a Sun Times article is saying but I found a website that says 103. Anyone?
I believe I heard/read the same as you, 103. Or at least in that same ballpark.

Pablo_Honey
07-27-2010, 02:34 PM
I believe it is 103 IP. Considering how Ranaudo got demolished after pitching 120+ in addition to postseason innings, I'd say it's a safe move to keep Sale's pitching load down. IIRC, Sale also hasn't been pitching with the low arm slot for too long so that will take some time for his body to get used to as well.

Coops4Aces
07-27-2010, 02:45 PM
Yeah 150 didn't make sense to me.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/2537312,CST-SPT-soxnt27.article

rdivaldi
07-29-2010, 08:51 PM
Nice job by Sale tonight:

Louisville Bottom 8th
Pitcher Change: Chris Sale replaces Jhonny Nunez.
Zack Cozart strikes out swinging.
Yonder Alonso strikes out swinging.

His AAA line for the year:

5.1 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 2 HRA, 3 BB, 12 K, 3.38 ERA

sox1970
07-30-2010, 09:23 PM
7/30

Louisville Bottom 8th

Pitcher Change: Chris Sale replaces Jon Adkins.
Wladimir Balentien strikes out swinging.
Daniel Dorn strikes out swinging.
Corky Miller walks.
Wilkin Castillo strikes out swinging.

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-30-2010, 09:30 PM
7/30

Louisville Bottom 8th

Pitcher Change: Chris Sale replaces Jon Adkins.
Wladimir Balentien strikes out swinging.
Daniel Dorn strikes out swinging.
Corky Miller walks.
Wilkin Castillo strikes out swinging.

Nice. I think it's safe to say it's only a matter of time before he replaces Threets. Although Threets hasn't been horrible, just he hasn't been lights out either.

A. Cavatica
07-30-2010, 09:49 PM
Nice. I think it's safe to say it's only a matter of time before he replaces Threets. Although Threets hasn't been horrible, just he hasn't been lights out either.

Until he allows a run, he's been lights out. :D:

Pablo_Honey
07-30-2010, 11:05 PM
Um, what part of his 0.00 ERA do you find not "lights out" about? Or his below 1.000 WHIP? Or that he hasn't served up a dinger yet? If anything, I think Sale hasn't been lights out enough for us to call him up prematurely. He's given up two homeruns already and for a guy who is supposed to have good control, he's given up a bit too many walks.

rdivaldi
07-30-2010, 11:30 PM
If anything, I think Sale hasn't been lights out enough for us to call him up prematurely.

6.1 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 2 HRA, 4 BB, 15 K, .136 BAA, 2.84 ERA

I understand concern about his walks, but wow. That's a ridiculous stat line.

Pablo_Honey
07-30-2010, 11:40 PM
6.1 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 2 HRA, 4 BB, 15 K, .136 BAA, 2.84 ERA

I understand concern about his walks, but wow. That's a ridiculous stat line.
Don't get me wrong, I'm looooving the strikeouts but his walks and homeruns against are a bit alarming. Oh well, small sample size. I'm sure it is just a fluke.

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-31-2010, 03:12 AM
Um, what part of his 0.00 ERA do you find not "lights out" about? Or his below 1.000 WHIP? Or that he hasn't served up a dinger yet? If anything, I think Sale hasn't been lights out enough for us to call him up prematurely. He's given up two homeruns already and for a guy who is supposed to have good control, he's given up a bit too many walks.

To say that Threets is amazing because he's yet to give up a run isn't fair. He's got 9 IP so far. I just don't think this is going to last the rest of the year. He's WAY better than Williams was (at least so far), so I'm glad to have him. I actually wanted Threets to make the team out of ST over Williams. I'm not saying the Sox should get rid of him to make room for Sale. I'm surprised Sale moved up this much as is. It's just nice to see Sale doing well and apparently be the next option if a LHP is needed. You can't argue against 15 K's in only 6.1 as being not impressive for someone like Sale.

sox1970
08-03-2010, 09:23 AM
http://scottmerkin.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/08/sale_soon_could_join_the_white.html

Looks like Sale will be in the big leagues before most of the other top picks even sign.

canOcorn
08-03-2010, 10:33 AM
http://scottmerkin.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/08/sale_soon_could_join_the_white.html

Looks like Sale will be in the big leagues before most of the other top picks even sign.

I'm guessing Threets doesn't clear waivers.

voodoochile
08-03-2010, 10:57 AM

Yeah, I would agree with that. Might be something else to consider. Maybe Linebrink goes on the DL.

Sam Spade
08-03-2010, 11:45 PM
Yeah, I would agree with that. Might be something else to consider. Maybe Linebrink goes on the DL.
No way. He has been one of our best relievers recently. I know its been in mop up time, but he has his stuff back, or confidence. You don't want to mess with that.

chisoxjtrain
08-04-2010, 02:51 PM

Threets on DL with turf toe.

Tragg
08-06-2010, 08:31 PM
In this case, thank goodness for the DL, because Threets likely would have been given away in the unnecessary zeal to rush a First Rounder into middle relief.

Threets has pitched fine. This organization continues to devalue its own assets.

canOcorn
08-06-2010, 08:47 PM
In this case, thank goodness for the DL, because Threets likely would have been given away in the unnecessary zeal to rush a First Rounder into middle relief.

Threets has pitched fine. This organization continues to devalue its own assets.

What I don't get is letting him make his ML debut occur in the 8th inning, on the road and in a tie game. Yet we need to treat a guy up here for 6+ weeks with puffy's and pampers. :scratch: