PDA

View Full Version : What this team needs..

balboner
06-23-2002, 01:14 AM
After watching the last month of uninspired baseball, the Sox definitely need a sparkplug. Lofton was this spark at the beginning of the season, but since April, has been horrible both at the plate and miserable in the field. Besides for Konerko, our infield's production has been very poor. Why not call up Crede, move Tony G. and Valentin to ss, and let Durham or Tony G. play 2b.
Another problem w/the Sox is the lack of hard-hitting they do. How many times in a game do the Sox hit the ball to the warning track. Many..How many times do they hit a rocket into the gap...Very rarely.
I dont even want to think about how many gappers the Twins will have compared to the Sox next week.

Nellie_Fox
06-23-2002, 03:08 AM
At the end of the Cubs series we were being told that we should be eternally grateful to Carlos Lee for his two homers. Since then, he has gone 1 for 12. Left field is an offensive position, and this guy is killing the Sox.

voodoochile
06-23-2002, 09:54 AM
What this team needs is a set lineup for one month just to see how it responds. The pitching has been much better recently and yet the team cannot score runs. They should go back to the lineup that was working at the beginning of the season (except Graff for Royce) and see what happens...

Lofton CF
Durham 2B
Frank DH
Maggs/Konerko RF/1B
Konerko/Maggs 1B/RF
Valentin SS
Lee LF
Graff 3B
Johnson C

Let that lineup play every day for a month and see how many runs they score. If they score consistently, then Manuel should be told to stick to it or get fired. If not, we are in trouble anyway and they should trade Ray and Lee and bring up Borchard and Crede. Harris should spend the rest of the season in AAA perfecting his stroke and SB technique so he can leadoff next year if they don't resign Lofton.

How many lineups have the Yankees used this year? How about the Mariners? The BoSox? I am rapidly reaching the end of my rope with JM. He needs to stop so much tinkering or get another job...

ode to veeck
06-23-2002, 12:32 PM
What this team needs is a set lineup for one month just to see how it responds.

hell yea! I can't remember the last time I saw the same lineup twice within a week!

ode to veeck
06-23-2002, 03:06 PM
At the end of the Cubs series we were being told that we should be eternally grateful to Carlos Lee for his two homers. Since then, he has gone 1 for 12. Left field is an offensive position, and this guy is killing the Sox.

He heard you Nellie (must've had those glasses on today to make the Braves look like Flubs)

nice line driver homer, who was talking about shots--(I'll need a few shots if the sox don't put some more runs up!(

duke of dorwood
06-23-2002, 03:53 PM
It needs an enema

Soxheads
06-23-2002, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
What this team needs is a set lineup for one month just to see how it responds. The pitching has been much better recently and yet the team cannot score runs. They should go back to the lineup that was working at the beginning of the season (except Graff for Royce) and see what happens...

Lofton CF
Durham 2B
Frank DH
Maggs/Konerko RF/1B
Konerko/Maggs 1B/RF
Valentin SS
Lee LF
Graff 3B
Johnson C

Let that lineup play every day for a month and see how many runs they score. If they score consistently, then Manuel should be told to stick to it or get fired. If not, we are in trouble anyway and they should trade Ray and Lee and bring up Borchard and Crede. Harris should spend the rest of the season in AAA perfecting his stroke and SB technique so he can leadoff next year if they don't resign Lofton.

How many lineups have the Yankees used this year? How about the Mariners? The BoSox? I am rapidly reaching the end of my rope with JM. He needs to stop so much tinkering or get another job...

My lineup would be:
Lofton CF
Graffanino 3B
Thomas DH
Ordonez RF
Konerko 1B
Durham 2B
Valentin SS
Lee LF
Johnson C

Not much difference from yours except for the order.

voodoochile
06-23-2002, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads

My lineup would be:
Lofton CF
Graffanino 3B
Thomas DH
Ordonez RF
Konerko 1B
Durham 2B
Valentin SS
Lee LF
Johnson C

Not much difference from yours except for the order.

I don't really care if he picks it out of a hat, so long as he plays the same 9 guys every day for a month and leaves them in their slot.

Jerry_Manuel
06-23-2002, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I don't really care if he picks it out of a hat, so long as he plays the same 9 guys every day for a month and leaves them in their slot.

From the Sun Times:

BAD SIGN: One sign of the Sox' struggles is that they haven't used the same lineup on back-to-back nights since May 24 and 25.

On a side note, what the team needs is Sandy Alomar. When he comes back, watch out.