PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie's newest Beckham strategy?

Whitesox029
07-06-2010, 01:05 AM
What's the deal here? I'm sort of too lazy to try to find an article or something on this, so I'm asking WSI... What's the plan now, just bench him for a week? Today was the second game in a row he's been out of the lineup. What he needs is to spend a week or two in Charlotte, assuming it isn't already too late for that. It's worked for other guys before.

Noneck
07-06-2010, 01:25 AM
I say wait for Teahen to come back. Then if Lillibridge and Viciedo are still playing well, send Beckham down. Until this happens let him backup Lillibridge.

Crede24Thome25
07-06-2010, 01:35 AM
Lillibridge has been hammering the ball, I say let him play until he cools down.
I like the lineup when Lillibridge and Viciedo are in it.

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-06-2010, 03:38 AM
Lillibridge has been hammering the ball, I say let him play until he cools down.
I like the lineup when Lillibridge and Viciedo are in it.

I agree. If someone would have told me that Lillibridge would be doing this well, I would have laughed in their face. As for Viciedo, if this continues, looks like the Sox have a nice problem on their hands.

hawkjt
07-06-2010, 07:07 AM
Gotta ride Bridge's hot streak til it ends,or all star break whichever comes first. Meanwhile have Gordo work on his swing in extra batting practice.

Last nite was a glimpse of the future with big offensive production from Alexei,Dayan,Carlos and Bridge...if those 4 guys can become steady hitters along with Gordon and Alex...you have your core for 2012.

doublem23
07-06-2010, 07:30 AM
Unless the Sox add a bat to the middle of their order, Lillibridge's play almost makes it impossible to keep Beckham here. We just don't have enough pop in the lineup to justify keeping a black hole at the bottom of the order.

Send him to Charlotte, let him work some **** out, and hopefully in a few weeks he'll be ready to come back.

Craig Grebeck
07-06-2010, 07:51 AM
Charlotte's the best route. He doesn't need to be riding the pine.

russ99
07-06-2010, 08:47 AM
Gordon hit the ball hard vs. Texas, but at people. Seems foolish to bench him now.

Lillibridge got the start yesterday, but Ozzie's probably just going with the player on a streak. Wouldn't surprise me to see Beckham back in there today.

If Vizquel's out for some time, I can see Ozzie juggling between Beckham, Viciedo and Lillibridge at 2B and 3B.

Shoeless_Jim
07-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Gordon hit the ball hard vs. Texas, but at people. Seems foolish to bench him now.

Lillibridge got the start yesterday, but Ozzie's probably just going with the player on a streak. Wouldn't surprise me to see Beckham back in there today.

If Vizquel's out for some time, I can see Ozzie juggling between Beckham, Viciedo and Lillibridge at 2B and 3B.

Vizquel should be back by the final game of the series. I say just keep playing Lillibridge until he stops hitting.

Zisk77
07-06-2010, 09:49 AM

With Lilibridge doing so well we still need a suber sub utility guy, which is a role Bekham can fulfill. Sure getting ab's in Charlotte would be preferable, but there is plenty of time to do that when Teahen gets back. Who knows, having a few days just watching might eleviate the mental chaos going on for him and he might trust himself again and not need to be sent down.

Chez
07-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Vizquel should be back by the final game of the series. I say just keep playing Lillibridge until he stops hitting.

Rios is in a mini-funk. Ozzie might consider putting Lillibridge in center tonight and Beckham back at 2b. Who would ever have guessed that there would be a day when Sox fans would ever be clamoring to give Lillibridge more playing time!

Noneck
07-06-2010, 10:03 AM
Who would ever have guessed that there would be a day when Sox fans would ever be clamoring to give Lillibridge more playing time!

When the former starting 2nd baseman has the worst offensive stats in MLB for the 1st half of the season, it is not surprising at all.

Brewski
07-06-2010, 10:32 AM
When the former starting 2nd baseman has the worst offensive stats in MLB for the 1st half of the season, it is not surprising at all.

BAeckham may need some AAA time. Lillibridge is a strong and versatile guy despite the babyface.

white sox bill
07-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Is it even feasible to send Bacon down when Teahen comes off DL?

Noneck
07-06-2010, 10:45 AM
BAeckham may need some AAA time. Lillibridge is a strong and versatile guy despite the babyface.

A month ago it seemed as though this year was a throw away year. At that point since Beckham was the Sox big bonus baby it made sense to let him play, to see what he can do. But now with the Sox in the thick of the race, he should not be allowed to have the opportunity to do this at the major league level.

Noneck
07-06-2010, 10:50 AM
Is it even feasible to send Bacon down when Teahen comes off DL?

Why not? He has options and there are replacements on the team to fill his slot. Now is not the time to let him work out his problems since the Sox are a contending club.

TomBradley72
07-06-2010, 11:01 AM
rios is in a mini-funk. Ozzie might consider putting lillibridge in center tonight and beckham back at 2b. Who would ever have guessed that there would be a day when sox fans would ever be clamoring to give lillibridge more playing time!

+1

Red Barchetta
07-06-2010, 11:15 AM
It still amazes me that we're talking about the same guy who had MVP potential comments last season. I hope he turns it around. Perhaps they keep him away from Walker for awhile.

I know he has to adjust his second season, however I think the cure for any hitting slump is to focus on driving the ball the opposite way.

Coops4Aces
07-06-2010, 11:31 AM
It's an anything but rare sophomore slump. Am I the only one who isn't concerned about Gordon?

cards press box
07-06-2010, 11:35 AM

I agree that riding the pine does no good either short term or long term for the White Sox or Gordon Beckham. I would rather have Beckham working on swing in AAA than not playing here.

I am surprised that you are o.k. with Brent Lillibridge playing 2B in the meantime. Lillibridge appears to have improved offensively quite a bit but if I recall correctly, you were not a fan.

cards press box
07-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Rios is in a mini-funk. Ozzie might consider putting Lillibridge in center tonight and Beckham back at 2b. Who would ever have guessed that there would be a day when Sox fans would ever be clamoring to give Lillibridge more playing time!

That option makes sense, as Rios (and his swing last night) look tired.

khan
07-06-2010, 11:37 AM
I agree with others that state that NOW isn't the time to send him down. It should have been more than a MONTH ago.

I don't give a damn how "hard" he hits the ball if the results aren't there. Hitting the ball "hard, but at people" doesn't win games or championships. His lack of offensive prowess is hurting the team.

At the same time, his BB rate is WAY DOWN from last season, while he bitches, moans, and makes enemies of umpires after his Ks. His OPS is BELOW .600, for ****'s sake!

Too bad Nix was lost when they brought up Viciedo. Nix would have been fine as a benchwarmer instead of the struggling Beckham. Beckham has NEEDED to be in Charlotte since before Memorial Day.

TomBradley72
07-06-2010, 11:41 AM
It's an anything but rare sophomore slump. Am I the only one who isn't concerned about Gordon?

I'm not concerned for the long run at all....and Lillibridge's hot streak could be a blessing in disguise...some time on the bench may be good for Beckham..clear his head, allow him to work on a few things...if Lillibridge is still red hot when Teahen comes back, then maybe some time in Charlotte for him.

I don't see Lillibridge sustaining this to become the full time starter...we'll need Gordon again before all is said and done.

Chez
07-06-2010, 11:41 AM
I don't give a damn how "hard" he hits the ball if the results aren't there. Hitting the ball "hard, but at people" doesn't win games or championships.

So send him to Charlotte so he can focus and work on hitting the ball softer but just not at people? Work on the ol' duck snort/Texas Leaguer stroke?

TomBradley72
07-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Too bad Nix was lost when they brought up Viciedo. Nix would have been fine as a benchwarmer instead of the struggling Beckham. Beckham has NEEDED to be in Charlotte since before Memorial Day.

Nix is 27 y.o. with a career average of .208....his entire career has been worse than Beckham's rough start this year. He's a horrible player. He was hitting .163 when he was released.

HomeFish
07-06-2010, 11:47 AM
I agree with others that state that NOW isn't the time to send him down. It should have been more than a MONTH ago.

"NOW isn't the time to put out the fire, it should have been put out when only the trash can was burning"

khan
07-06-2010, 11:51 AM
So send him to Charlotte so he can focus and work on hitting the ball softer but just not at people? Work on the ol' duck snort/Texas Leaguer stroke?
Whatever works. I'll take a duck snort anyday, and twice on gameday over a screaming liner right at a defender.

But seriously, it isn't "just" that. It's his ****tifying BB and K rates. It's his developing the poor habit of bitching and moaning at the ump, which does NOTHING for him nor his team.

The overall hitting picture has been ugly for weeks, and he needs to go away to fix it. We as fans should divorce ourselves from the fact that he was a high draft pick and did well as a rookie.

hawkjt
07-06-2010, 11:52 AM
Yea, if Beckham had been sent down a month ago they would have won all 25 games since then,not just 19....damn you Beckham!!

khan
07-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Nix is 27 y.o. with a career average of .208....his entire career has been worse than Beckham's rough start this year. He's a horrible player. He was hitting .163 when he was released.

That's exactly right:

Beckham is a youngster that has a future. Therefore, he should have been in Charlotte working out his hitting issues, instead of helping to ****tify the SOX lineup.

Nix could've done just as well or poorly riding pine as Beckham is doing, WITHOUT harming a key piece of the team's future. I simply believe that ****ty players should ride pine, while youngsters should get as many AB as possible, either here or in the minors. Do you disagree?

TomBradley72
07-06-2010, 12:05 PM
That's exactly right:

Beckham is a youngster that has a future. Therefore, he should have been in Charlotte working out his hitting issues, instead of helping to ****tify the SOX lineup.

Nix could've done just as well or poorly riding pine as Beckham is doing, WITHOUT harming a key piece of the team's future. I simply believe that ****ty players should ride pine, while youngsters should get as many AB as possible, either here or in the minors. Do you disagree?

I'm OK with how they've handled Beckham...some improvement in June...and he's played great defense. The way Lillibridge has played since being recalled has me comfortable with Beckham sitting and if Brent keeps it up, possibly going to AAA. But if Nix is the alternative, then I'd rather stick with Beckham and let him work through it at this level.

So current version of Lillibridge > Beckham

Current version of Beckham > any version of Nix

I don't think Beckham's development will be stunted by a few weeks as a back up.

soxfanreggie
07-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Gotta ride Bridge's hot streak til it ends,or all star break whichever comes first. Meanwhile have Gordo work on his swing in extra batting practice.

Last nite was a glimpse of the future with big offensive production from Alexei,Dayan,Carlos and Bridge...if those 4 guys can become steady hitters along with Gordon and Alex...you have your core for 2012.

The one thing we'll want to make sure of with those four guys is that we have them past 2012 (if they're who we want as the building blocks of our franchise. Viciedo's contract is up after the 2012 season, and he can void the 2012 season if he has enough time to qualify for arbitration (I'm not sure he will at that point). Alexei is up after the 2011 season, and I'm guessing he'll want more than $1.1 million per year. As for Carlos, I think we may have him for 2011 before having to look to sign him for a longer deal?

We do have some big money coming off the books in the next few years, but it will be interesting to see how much these guys will want in their next deals. Hopefully we can get a few of them on the cheap because we'll still have to get replacements for PK and MB if they don't re-sign with us. I can see PK signing a bit cheaper deal to stay here, but I don't see MB taking less.

khan
07-06-2010, 12:13 PM
I'm OK with how they've handled Beckham...some improvement in June...and he's played great defense. The way Lillibridge has played since being recalled has me comfortable with Beckham sitting and if Brent keeps it up, possibly going to AAA. But if Nix is the alternative, then I'd rather stick with Beckham and let him work through it at this level.
OK, so how does Beckham "work out of it" if he's [RIGHTFULLY] riding pine in Chicago instead of getting AB in Charlotte?

So current version of Lillibridge > Beckham

Current version of Beckham > any version of Nix

I don't think Beckham's development will be stunted by a few weeks as a back up.

Fair enough. We'll simply have to agree to disagree. My view has been that Beckham hasn't helped the team with his performances. Nor has HE been helped during his struggles.

I'm confident that he will eventually work out of it. But I'm equally confident that he would have been better served to go down to Charlotte weeks ago.

Hell, he could have corrected his issues a long time ago in Charlotte, and have already returned to the productive player we think he should be in Chicago. Instead, he's still in ****tsville with his [lack of] hitting, his [lack of] drawing walks, his Ks, and his ongoing bitching at umps.

kufram
07-06-2010, 12:17 PM

No you are not. I'm not overly concerned because Beckham has continued to field his position, if anything improving, whilst in a season long slump. We're building an infield here and he and Alexei need to play together. Let's not throw out the defense too lightly.

It's great that Lillebridge has contributed and that is what happens when a team is winning and pulling together... it is infectious. No need to promote him to starter.. just let him keep doing what is working. I think Beckham will get better at the plate. Well, he ain't gonna get worse is he?

TomBradley72
07-06-2010, 12:21 PM
OK, so how does Beckham "work out of it" if he's [RIGHTFULLY] riding pine in Chicago instead of getting AB in Charlotte?

Fair enough. We'll simply have to agree to disagree. My view has been that Beckham hasn't helped the team with his performances. Nor has HE been helped during his struggles.

I'm confident that he will eventually work out of it. But I'm equally confident that he would have been better served to go down to Charlotte weeks ago.

Hell, he could have corrected his issues a long time ago, and have already returned to the productive player we think he should be. Instead, he's still in ****tsville with his [lack of] hitting, his [lack of] drawing walks, his Ks, and his ongoing bitching at umps.

I think there's a balance when it comes to player development..if it's <30 day window, I think access to the major league coaching staff and resources (like video) provide a good environment for adjusting/retooling, etc.

Longer than that, regular playing time is more important, and I'd go with AAA.

I don't strongly disagree with your assessment...but for his defense alone, I think we were better served by Beckham than we would have been by Nix in June, and I don't think it hindered Beckham's development.

Now, IF Viciedo can handle 3rd every day (which will also free up Vizquel to play some 2nd base), and IF Lillibridge keeps it up...then I think Beckham is going to find himself in Charlotte.

KMcMahon817
07-06-2010, 12:55 PM

Woah. Easy with that nick name. :?:

voodoochile
07-06-2010, 01:00 PM
Responding to questions, Ozzie did admit that he's simply riding Lillibridge while he's hot and also acknowledges that Beckham needs to play, but apparently ruled out a demotion to AAA so far...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0706-white-sox-brite--20100705,0,3338697.story

Noneck
07-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Responding to questions, Ozzie did admit that he's simply riding Lillibridge while he's hot and also acknowledges that Beckham needs to play, but apparently ruled out a demotion to AAA so far...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0706-white-sox-brite--20100705,0,3338697.story

This makes sense till Teahen comes back.

KMcMahon817
07-06-2010, 01:07 PM

Hell, he could have corrected his issues a long time ago in Charlotte, and have already returned to the productive player we think he should be in Chicago. Instead, he's still in ****tsville with his [lack of] hitting, his [lack of] drawing walks, his Ks, and his ongoing bitching at umps.

The whole bitching at the umps thing that you have mentioned a number of times this season has actually died down quite a bit.

And, I agree, if he's not playing, he should be in AAA. But a couple weeks of sitting isn't going to do damage to his development. Let's be serious.

Brewski
07-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Woah. Easy with that nick name. :?:

Just having fun. Isn't that what the Internet is for? Don't be so sensitive. After all, .208 is lower than that other guy ever hit, so there's an element of truth in it.