PDA

View Full Version : Yankees to start 3-D telecasts this weekend

Fenway
07-05-2010, 11:28 PM
http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/102828

YES has taken the plunge which means NESN will follow.

The TV production truck biz is still reeling with HD conversion costs.

What next

GoGoCrede
07-05-2010, 11:31 PM
God, do I wish 3-D would go away. Completely overrated and gives me a headache.

october23sp
07-05-2010, 11:33 PM

THIS. Have fun wasting money on a technology that will fizzle out.

doublem23
07-05-2010, 11:39 PM
THIS. Have fun wasting money on a technology that will fizzle out.

Don't you know everyone wants to sit around their TV at home wearing a pair of $150 plastic glasses?

Marqhead
07-05-2010, 11:50 PM
Don't you know everyone wants to sit around their TV at home wearing a pair of $150 plastic glasses?

http://corwith-wesley.org/Web%20Page%20Class/Martin/Final%20Project/Nintendo%20system%20photos/Virtual%20Boy/virtualboy.jpg

It's going to be the best TV experience ever.

GoGoCrede
07-05-2010, 11:51 PM

They did it for an episode of Sabrina the Teenage Witch when I was 10. I loved it...but then, I was 10.

Away with 3-D, already.

TheCommander
07-06-2010, 12:06 AM

:yup::yup::yup:

Fenway
07-06-2010, 12:12 AM

Can you imagine the fun a sports bar will have handing out glasses??

As of now HD and 3D require separate trucks and this is being driven by Panasonic who lost the HD battle to SONY

Chicago was late to HD because of Trio Video and I have no clue how this will shake out. Trio BTW uses cameras designed in France which are subpar to SONY -

Six years ago NESN started HD and showed games in cineplexes so I suspect the same will happen here - but I am not sure the surviving TV truck production companies can afford another upgrade. The cameras are NOT cheap.

My problem is my company can not bet wrong on this and I have serious say. I want 3D to go away but....

Fenway
07-06-2010, 07:51 AM
Looks like YES has all its cable partners lined up for 3-D

http://web.yesnetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100628&content_id=11680950&vkey=1&oid

BNLSox
07-06-2010, 09:37 AM

I think it may for home TV, but it certainly ain't going away at the movie theatres. They get to charge a few extra bucks and people are packing it in to get a chance to watch the 3D. I agree that its terrible, but I think we're in the minority here.

roylestillman
07-06-2010, 09:44 AM
Here's a thought. If you want to see the game in 3D go to the ballpark.

Fenway
07-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Here's a thought. If you want to see the game in 3D go to the ballpark.

I am curious on how this will look - they are using the Pace system with Cameron is a prime force.

http://www.pacehd.com/

TV truck companies had to upgrade to HD as more people bought sets which is very similar to when b&w gave way to color. Converting a HD truck to 3-D is very expensive.

BUT ESPN is betting big on this and Comcast will have Versus 3-D for hockey in the fall.

I just can't see more than 1 or 2 percent of households going 3-D until the costs come down.

TheOldRoman
07-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Fens, didn't you say a few months ago that ESPN was testing 3D for baseball and it didn't work because it wasn't on a fixed plain? Have they figured out how to shoot it successfully?

Fenway
07-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Fens, didn't you say a few months ago that ESPN was testing 3D for baseball and it didn't work because it wasn't on a fixed plain? Have they figured out how to shoot it successfully?

James Cameron says he has solved the problem...we will find out this weekend

YES and FSN/Northwest will both carry the games