PDA

View Full Version : Willie Harris Should Start Tomorrow

RKMeibalane
06-23-2002, 12:46 AM
In case I haven't made myself clear, I think Willie Harris should get the start at second base in place of Ray Durham on Sunday. The following text are my reasons for making such a change:

1. Harris will most likely be sent down after the game in order to make room for the returning Matt Ginter, as the Sox return to AL competition. He has had but three at bats since he has been with the Sox, and he has not accomplished anything. I think he deserves a chance to play, if for no other reason, so he'll have an opportunity to get his first Major League hit.

2. Durham has done little since his three-walks game against the Cubs last Sunday. It seems as though he's an automatic out when he steps into the box. I don't remember the last time I saw him drive a ball with authority.

3. Harris' temporary addition to the lineup would give the Sox an element of unpredictability. The Braves know of Harris only what they have read in the scouting reports. As we have often observed, reality and the world of paperwork are different things.

4. There is little use in promoting someone if he is not used. We saw this happen with Joe Crede last September, when he was used sparingly by Jerry Manuel, who said, "We already know what he can do." I don't want the same thing to happen to Harris.

5. Harris could use the experience of starting and playing in a full, nine-inning, big league game. This could serve as a motivational tool for him if he is able to get a "taste" of playing in the Majors. I don't think pinch-hitting would be sufficient to fuel Willie's competitive instincts.

Chisox_cali
06-23-2002, 01:35 AM
:jerry
"Yeah...Right"

:ray
"HA!"

doublem23
06-23-2002, 01:45 AM
Willie Harris should be starting...

in AAA!

Was there any point to calling him up besides stunting his development?

Soxheads
06-23-2002, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Willie Harris should be starting...

in AAA!

Was there any point to calling him up besides stunting his development?

Probably not. :smile:

MattSharp
06-23-2002, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I think he deserves a chance to play, if for no other reason, so he'll have an opportunity to get his first Major League hit.

Um, I am pretty sure Willie Harris had a hit last year with the Orioles.

As for Ray, heres my beef. Harris may or may not do anything. Either way unless he is goign to be playing full time from now on, its stupid for him to stay up. Let him play full time in the minors and get his groove going. So come August (when Ray may eb gone) Harris will be in his groove. Ray is struggling, but when he is on he is a firestarter and a run scorer. He doesn't get on much but when he does he scores.

I know Ray isn't palying well at all, but theres no guarantee Harris will either, and if he spends the next two weeks sucking in the majors he will just end back at AAA, so what was the point. ]

No matter what, he won't be starting the rest of the year, so it would just be a waste of time.

kevingrt
06-23-2002, 12:12 PM
JM & KW say they'll put him back at Triple AAA after this roadstand...

If I were Willie Harris I would say how did I get to prove myself?

SuperFish
06-23-2002, 12:30 PM
Looks like you got your wish...

CHI WHITE SOX
AVG HR RBI
Kenny Lofton CF .271 3 32
Willie Harris 2B .000 0 0
Magglio Ordonez RF .313 12 48
Paul Konerko 1B .325 16 62
Jose Valentin 3B .244 9 35
Carlos Lee LF .248 8 32
Royce Clayton SS .200 6 20
Mark Johnson C .208 2 8
Danny Wright RHP .000 0 0
(5-7, 5.44)

RKMeibalane
06-23-2002, 04:01 PM
And Harris didn't do a damn thing. This is the last time I campaign for anyone to get some playing time.

Paulwny
06-23-2002, 04:14 PM
And Harris didn't do a damn thing. This is the last time I campaign for anyone to get some playing time.

What did you expect? This is a minor league player who only started because JM was giving the 2nd best 2nd baseman in the al a day off before the twins series.

RKMeibalane
06-23-2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

What did you expect? This is a minor league player who only started because JM was giving the 2nd best 2nd baseman in the al a day off before the twins series.

Is Harris now the third best second baseman in the American League because he spelled Ray in the lineup for a day?

Paulwny
06-23-2002, 05:24 PM

Is Harris now the third best second baseman in the American League because he spelled Ray in the lineup for a day?

LOL, if he'd gotten a hit he would be.