PDA

View Full Version : Worst Uniform in Baseball Today?

BleacherBandit
07-05-2010, 06:19 PM
I was thinking about this today and I couldn't decide between the Rays or the Diamondbacks.

The Rays logo looks like the logo for the Tyra show (I DON't watch Tyra, but I was channel surfing a few months ago and made that comparison), and D-Backs is too close to D-Bags IMO.

What's your opinion? I know that we often have threads on these forums regarding the worst uniforms of all time but what do you think needs to be changed RIGHT NOW?

WhiteSox5187
07-05-2010, 06:24 PM
You know there aren't too many bad ones or at least gaudy. I just don't like when teams wear colors they never wore before, so I hate the A's black alternate, I LOATHE the Mets wearing black and then there are a few other examples that currently escape me.

Juice16
07-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Agreed above, any team incorporating black into their uniforms when it's not part of their true team colors. Nationals home, both padres and blue jays make my worst list.

Brian26
07-05-2010, 06:39 PM
With the proliferation of the ridiculous third and fourth jerseys by many teams, its probably one of those.

I hate the Nationals alternate that has DC on the side chest panel (the DC looks like the logo for DC Comics), and the Pirates black alternate with the yellow "P" on the chest looks like a bad high school letterman jacket.

The Blue Jays jerseys and hats have been awful since they switched them around in the late 90s. They should go back to their '92-'93 uniforms.

The Giants orange alternate is hard on the eyes too, but it's really a throwback to the jersey they wore in the 70s and early 80s, so I'm willing to give them some latitude on that.

The Cleveland hat with the cursive "I" on it is bad. The Red Sox road uniforms are awful now, and I have no idea why they ditched the red trim and old-style lettering.

johnnyg83
07-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Blue Jays

soltrain21
07-05-2010, 08:13 PM
Padres. Switch back to blue and orage with the old SD logo.

tstrike2000
07-05-2010, 08:18 PM
I was thinking about this today and I couldn't decide between the Rays or the Diamondbacks.

The Rays logo looks like the logo for the Tyra show (I DON't watch Tyra, but I was channel surfing a few months ago and made that comparison), and D-Backs is too close to D-Bags IMO.

Sure you don't watch Tyra. Just kidding. I actually kind of like the Rays uniforms, possibly because I've never watched Tyra. :D:

The Blue Jays for me have the worst uniforms. And something about the lettering on the Nationals uniforms I don't care for, kind of gothic, not sure how to describe it.

Carneyman14
07-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Mariners Padres and Marlins come to mind

DaveFeelsRight
07-05-2010, 09:00 PM
marlins and mariners are just boring. not terrible.

now the padres are awful. especially their road jerseys.

g0g0
07-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Blue Jays

Those are my 2 choices. Get the early to mid 90's Blue Jays uniforms with the classic Blue Jay logo and bring back the swinging Padre!!! Oh, and I hate the camo of SD. I don't care what it represents.

SoxFan1979
07-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Marlins, agree with black color on teams not associated with it, Dbacks, Jays n Rays.

cards press box
07-05-2010, 09:30 PM
blue jays

+1

doublem23
07-05-2010, 09:34 PM

I know the Padres' alt uniform is supposed to honor our armed forces, but god, it is an ugly, ugly jersey. And then the rest of their uniform ensemble is pretty crappy, too.

GoGoCrede
07-05-2010, 10:36 PM
I really hate the Detroit uniforms, all of them. The home ones are so plain, except for the logo slapped on it. They look like pajamas. The away ones have really ugly lettering.

Whitesox029
07-06-2010, 12:43 AM
I really hate the Detroit uniforms, all of them. The home ones are so plain, except for the logo slapped on it. They look like pajamas. The away ones have really ugly lettering.
The Tigers' uniforms (home and road) are their only redeeming quality, in my opinion.
My top 5, starting with the worst:
1. Blue Jays, home and road (You're the Blue Jays. Wear blue somewhere.)
2. Rockies road (gray+pinstripes=no)
3. Padres, home and road (Their original 1969 jerseys are the best they've ever had. They should go back to them, or some variation thereof.)
4. Nationals home (Make the home lettering match the road lettering, and lose the stylized numbers and letters on both.)
5. Reds road (Lettering is way too busy for a road jersey. I liked the plain letters better.)

For good measure, the best 5, starting with the best, home and road separate this time:
Road, a sweep by the AL:
1. White Sox (not just being a homer)
2. Twins
3. Athletics (minus the white shoes)
4. Tigers
5. Tie, Yankees and Royals
Home:
1. Orioles (how you know I'm not being a homer)
2. White Sox
3. Mets
4. Phillies
5. Tie, Mariners and Tigers

chisox616
07-06-2010, 12:50 AM
Mariners need more teal, same with the Marlins. Oakland needs to incorporate Green and Yellow more; I hate the overwhelming White. I think they have the best cap next to ours, though, they just need the uniforms to go with it.

Another cap related issue, anyone want the Cubs to bring back the red bill? One of the few redeeming factors they had.

And the Jays get my vote, but boy did they use to have one of the best uniforms.

twinsuck
07-06-2010, 12:54 AM
I hate the Cubs alternate blue jerseys.

Whitesox029
07-06-2010, 12:57 AM
Mariners need more teal, same with the Marlins. Oakland needs to incorporate Green and Yellow more; I hate the overwhelming White. I think they have the best cap next to ours, though, they just need the uniforms to go with it.

Another cap related issue, anyone want the Cubs to bring back the red bill? One of the few redeeming factors they had.

And the Jays get my vote, but boy did they use to have one of the best uniforms.
agreed on all points except the Mariners' use of teal. I think they do it exactly right, especially with the teal bill on the home caps. The Marlins should also adopt a teal bill for their home caps. Too much teal, however, can be very bad. http://www.fanwear.com/hats/mlb-logo/marlins-fitted-all-teal.jpg
As for the A's, the white wouldn't be so overwhelming if it didn't include the dang shoes. That's the only aspect of their home uniforms that makes them different from any other team's. Everyone has numbers, a hat, and a logo or team name.

Those Jays uniforms from the early 90s were really good. Same goes for the Brewers. Milwaukee's current design is too cookie-cutter. They need to go back to the MB-glove-and-ball logo with pinstripes and script lettering.

FloridaTigers
07-06-2010, 02:02 AM

Really? :scratch:

You know, the Tigers and Sox have extremely similar set ups? Swap the pinstripes for plain, and tweak the colors a bit, and they're pretty much the same. Same number below the slightly tilted city name, and at home both have classic logos on the right chest.

As for my answers? Easily the Blue Jays.

twinsuck
07-06-2010, 02:43 AM

You know, the Tigers and Sox have extremely similar set ups? Swap the pinstripes for plain, and tweak the colors a bit, and they're pretty much the same. Same number below the slightly tilted city name, and at home both have classic logos on the right chest.

The Sox have numbers on the front of their home pinstripes, that's another difference, the tiggers don't. And I have to agree with gogocrede, the Tigers homes are boring....they're just so white. You could say the Sox and Yankees have similar unis as the Tigers but they both have pinstripes, I just think that somehow makes them less boring.... I love pinstripes btw. But that being said the Tiger unis are classics and I don't hate them, I just think they are a little boring.

HomeFish
07-06-2010, 03:07 AM
I agree with the guy who said the Tigers and White Sox home whites are similar. Also, the last time we had this thread, the overwhelming consensus was that the Tigers home white is one of the best in baseball.

So I agree with the Tigers fan above: :scratch:

mccoydp
07-06-2010, 03:16 AM

I think that the Tigers unis are some of the best in baseball, IMO.

I agree wholeheartedly with your choice of the Jays, to include their black alternates. Yuck.

VenturaFan23
07-06-2010, 06:04 AM
Easy....the Black, er, Blue Jays.

GoGoCrede
07-06-2010, 09:04 AM

I guess it's just a matter of preference. The Dodgers have similar lettering across their uniforms, and their uniforms are my favorite in baseball, aside from the Sox. I love their colors. And I think the fact that the Sox have pinstripes on their uniforms is what distinguishes it from the Tigers. Without the pinstripes, they're very plain, but with them, it's a nicer uniform.

Red Barchetta
07-06-2010, 09:27 AM
I hate the Cubs alternate blue jerseys.

You mean the limp-wristed, ferocious bear cub doesn't strike fear in the opposing teams?! :tongue:

twinsuck
07-06-2010, 01:22 PM
You mean the limp-wristed, ferocious bear cub doesn't strike fear in the opposing teams?! :tongue:
lol, it looks like it's giving paw. so scary.

TheVulture
07-06-2010, 02:20 PM
Cubs' home uniform - their road greys are actually pretty nice, but the home uni is pure bozo clown shoes.

LITTLE NELL
07-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Toronto Blue Jays.

Jerko
07-06-2010, 02:51 PM
I like ugly uniforms, especially for ****ty teams. Back in the day, the Padres and Astros were SO bad, but I watched just for the train wreck of a uniform they wore. Made the games fun. Even the other day, the A's and Pirates broke out their old unis, and I watched a little. If they wore their regular unis I would not have even tuned in for one pitch.

MeteorsSox4367
07-06-2010, 04:21 PM
I just dislike the teams who added black to their color scheme. The Giants, O's and Pirates always had black as a base color and it looks cool. The Mets, Jays and Royals had it and it looks like crap.

The Mets wore their late 60's throwbacks a while back at home and they were beautiful. The Jays need to go back to blue as their primary color. The Royals thankfully have gone back to essentially blue and white.

soxpride724
07-06-2010, 04:28 PM
The new alternate powder blue one that Tampa is wearing.

BleacherBandit
07-06-2010, 04:30 PM
I'm surprised that nobody agrees about the Diamondbacks. Their older jerseys were pretty bad but at least the colors were clever.

beasly213
07-06-2010, 06:19 PM
The Padres road jerseys are hands down the worst in baseball. They look like sandpaper.

Also hate the Cubs Blue jerseys. Look like softball jerseys that a buncha beer drinkers in the park wear.

esbrechtel
07-06-2010, 11:11 PM
I like the new Diamond Backs Hats....I do not like their jerseys however...

I am rarely a fan of abbreviations on uniforms

TomBradley72
07-07-2010, 09:38 AM
White Sox w/black alternate jerseys.

I think the Rangers uniforms are a real missed opporunity...it says "Texas" on the home jerseys which seems bizarre....just seems like they could come up with something "classic" with a name like Texas Rangers.

johnnyg83
07-07-2010, 11:11 AM
I think Arizona's color scheme was an improvement: black, copper, teal and purple may be representative of the region, but it's a mess in a uniform.

I'm suprised nobody has done maroon as the primary color. It's a great sports color and would be unique in the MLB.

Red Barchetta
07-07-2010, 11:23 AM
White Sox w/black alternate jerseys.

I think the Rangers uniforms are a real missed opporunity...it says "Texas" on the home jerseys which seems bizarre....just seems like they could come up with something "classic" with a name like Texas Rangers.

I agree. That's a pet peeve of mine where home baseball teams sports the city (or state) name. Same this with the pajamas the SOX wore in the late 70s.

I think the worst overall uniform is the Blue Jays. They seriously need to revisit their older uniforms. I can't imagine the current uniform/caps, etc. is selling that well. However, maybe their marketing department knows more than we do.

Worst alternate jersey IMO is the Cubs. That little bear cub is the silliest, most non-competitive looking logo in sports. In a way, it symbolizes that organization and their fans perfectly.

BleacherBandit
07-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Worst alternate jersey IMO is the Cubs. That little bear cub is the silliest, most non-competitive looking logo in sports. In a way, it symbolizes that organization and their fans perfectly.

I don't buy this argument, personally. Baseball is a sport in which mascots weren't developed until decades after clubs were formed, and for many teams, their uniforms stayed plain and unmeanacing. What says that a mascot in baseball has to be meanacing/"competitive looking"? What's so competitive about the "White Sox" and their uniform patch?

To me, the Cubs alternative is great. They're the Cubs, not the Bears or Grizzlies. They're not going to have a competitive looking manifestation of their name due to the fact that bear cubs aren't menacing. And that's what I love about baseball. The club names reflect either some Victorian Era theme/colloquialism or a clever regional connection.

Red Barchetta
07-07-2010, 11:39 AM
I don't buy this argument, personally. Baseball is a sport in which mascots weren't developed until decades after clubs were formed, and for many teams, their uniforms stayed plain and unmeanacing. What says that a mascot in baseball has to be meanacing/"competitive looking"? What's so competitive about the "White Sox" and their uniform patch?

To me, the Cubs alternative is great. They're the Cubs, not the Bears or Grizzlies. They're not going to have a competitive looking manifestation of their name due to the fact that bear cubs aren't menacing. And that's what I love about baseball. The club names reflect either some Victorian Era theme/colloquialism or a clever regional connection.

um..it's not an argument. It's an opinion. :rolleyes:

doublem23
07-07-2010, 11:49 AM
um..it's not an argument. It's an opinion. :rolleyes:

I think he's pointing out there's no logic behind it. What, exactly, makes the White Sox's, Yankees', or Tigers' uniforms "intimidating?"

The alternative is to end up with some sort of ridiculous XFL-style league were all the teams have bogus names like the X-Treme, Shockwave, and Intimidation. I'll stick with the Cubs.

Red Barchetta
07-07-2010, 12:03 PM
I think he's pointing out there's no logic behind it. What, exactly, makes the White Sox's, Yankees', or Tigers' uniforms "intimidating?"

The alternative is to end up with some sort of ridiculous XFL-style league were all the teams have bogus names like the X-Treme, Shockwave, and Intimidation. I'll stick with the Cubs.

I was being sarcastic when I joked about the intimidation of a little cubbie bear. In return, I received a history lesson of sports mascots. :rolleyes:

Huisj
07-07-2010, 12:06 PM
I think Arizona's color scheme was an improvement: black, copper, teal and purple may be representative of the region, but it's a mess in a uniform.

I'm suprised nobody has done maroon as the primary color. It's a great sports color and would be unique in the MLB.

The Phillies had maroon for before they went to a more standard red color in the early '90s. I agree that it's weird that nobody else has a maroon color.

TomBradley72
07-07-2010, 12:17 PM

They should have stuck with the "Orphans". :cool:

TomBradley72
07-07-2010, 12:20 PM
I was being sarcastic when I joked about the intimidation of a little cubbie bear. In return, I received a history lesson of sports mascots. :rolleyes:

WSI...not for the faint of heart. :cool:

Red Barchetta
07-07-2010, 12:27 PM
WSI...not for the faint of heart. :cool:

I learned that a long time ago. :D:

Still the worst alternate IMO. O = Opinion. :cool:

doublem23
07-07-2010, 12:32 PM

Yeah, all our communication here is done by text, so there's absolutely no way to tell if you're being serious or not unless you use an emoticon or teal. If you're not going to make any effort to convey the subtleties of what you were saying, don't get all pissed off when people misinterpret your posts.

Red Barchetta
07-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Yeah, all our communication here is done by text, so there's absolutely no way to tell if you're being serious or not unless you use an emoticon or teal. If you're not going to make any effort to convey the subtleties of what you were saying, don't get all pissed off when people misinterpret your posts.

I didn't get pissed off. You said I did...

badgerboy1848
07-07-2010, 07:33 PM
1)Arizona-D*backs looks freakin bush league.
2.) Blue jays- for reasons already noted
3.) Padres- too much blue
4.) Braves road-same reason
5.) Any team with black(mets,rockies,marlins, etc.)

g0g0
07-08-2010, 08:34 AM
The Royals thankfully have gone back to essentially blue and white.

The Royals have some of the sweetest jerseys in all of baseball. Great look!

Carneyman14
07-08-2010, 08:50 AM
1)Arizona-D*backs looks freakin bush league.
2.) Blue jays- for reasons already noted
3.) Padres- too much blue
4.) Braves road-same reason
5.) Any team with black(mets,rockies,marlins, etc.)

White Sox??? :scratch: :D:

badgerboy1848
07-09-2010, 03:26 PM
But black is the sox main color. unlike the mets, As, etc.

Nellie_Fox
07-10-2010, 12:39 AM
(I DON't watch Tyra, but I was channel surfing a few months ago and made that comparison)Sure. The old "channel surfing" story.

I really hate the Detroit uniforms, all of them. The home ones are so plain, except for the logo slapped on it. They look like pajamas. The away ones have really ugly lettering.The Tigers uniforms are classic. All the uniforms in baseball look like pajamas when the pants are down to the shoe tops.