PDA

View Full Version : Taking photos with players

downstairs
07-05-2010, 04:24 PM
The mascot thread below got me thinking. For those of us that were kids and Sox fans in the 80's. Do you remember when, before many games, they'd set up a booth and let you take a photo with a player? Often famous players to boot.

They'd give you this cheap ol' polaroid too. Not a fancy, designed frame. Just a polaroid of you sitting on Baines, Lamp, Guillen's lap.

I'm sure they charged a nominal fee- of course my dad ponied up the cash.

Can you imagine this today?

LongLiveFisk
07-05-2010, 05:21 PM
It would be nice, but they even stopped doing the on-field camera day promotion they always used to do. Loved standing around on the warning track (years earlier, it was in the infield) and watching the players come around as you got to snap photos and say a word or two to them.

Guess it got too hectic and crowded.

Woofer
07-05-2010, 05:40 PM
My wife has a polaroid of her and one of her friends with Jack McDowell and Bobby Thigpen. The picture had to be from around 1987. When I first saw the picture years ago, she said, "I think they were pitchers, do you know who they are? I was like ummm, yeah!

LongLiveFisk
07-05-2010, 05:44 PM
My wife has a polaroid of her and one of her friends with Jack McDowell and Bobby Thigpen. The picture had to be from around 1987. When I first saw the picture years ago, she said, "I think they were pitchers, do you know who they are? I was like ummm, yeah!

If it's '87, that was Black Jack's rookie season and IIRC, that was before he started growing the facial hair. :cool:

TDog
07-05-2010, 05:52 PM
I have a bunch of pictures taken with ballplayers. It would rather embarrassing to list them all.

Woofer
07-05-2010, 06:26 PM
If it's '87, that was Black Jack's rookie season and IIRC, that was before he started growing the facial hair. :cool:

He is very much clean shaven, and everybody in the picture looks very young.:smile: I'm thinking of posting the picture on Facebook, but I better ask her first!

TheCommander
07-05-2010, 10:33 PM
He is very much clean shaven, and everybody in the picture looks very young.:smile: I'm thinking of posting the picture on Facebook, but I better ask her first!

Post them here too! :wink:

salty99
07-06-2010, 11:26 AM
It would be nice, but they even stopped doing the on-field camera day promotion they always used to do. Loved standing around on the warning track (years earlier, it was in the infield) and watching the players come around as you got to snap photos and say a word or two to them.

Guess it got too hectic and crowded.

My wife and I asked Brook why they don't have this promotion anymore and he told us that they couldn't find a sponsor to have it.

BRDSR
07-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Didn't move to Chicago 'til '91, but as a kid in the mid-90s I remember that a lot of Sunday afternoon games were "Kids Days." Some players would set themselves up in foul territory around noon for a 1:00 start and kids would make their way to the bottom of the section and crowd around while the player/coach signed some items and chatted up those gathered. I was always excited for it, and always ended up enjoying it, but do remember often thinking that it was a lot of bench players and coaches. I don't think Frank Thomas was out there often. I think after those games, kids ran the bases or the outfield, as well.

Was a cool promotion that would be nice to bring back. It certainly worked on me...I was always pestering my dad to take me on Sunday afternoons.

salty99
07-06-2010, 01:31 PM
They have kids days on Sunday afternoons. IN fact this Sunday is the next one.

BRDSR
07-06-2010, 01:59 PM
They have kids days on Sunday afternoons. IN fact this Sunday is the next one.

Really? Do some players/coaches still sign before the game?

salty99
07-06-2010, 03:32 PM
Really? Do some players/coaches still sign before the game?

Yup for kids 13 and under.

BRDSR
07-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Yup for kids 13 and under.

Oh...well good. :D:

bigsoxfan420
07-06-2010, 04:38 PM
I don't remember the booth, but I do remember the Sox having "Camera Day." You could go on the field to a roped off area and the players would come and and take a picture with you. I have some great pics with Ron Karkovice, Ozzie, and Dan Pasqua.

Warriorjan
07-06-2010, 04:47 PM
I have Chuck Tanner, Tommy John, Terry Forster, Goose Gossage, Bill Melton, and other guys from the early 70's. It was lots of fun to walk out onto the field.

MeteorsSox4367
07-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Got to go on the warning track for my last Sox game at Comiskey in September 1990. It was the Wednesday night of the last homestand against the Twins.

On the subject of pictures, does anyone remember when Jewel had a promotion for free Sox pictures back in the mid-to-late 70s? The quality and paper weren't that good, but they were still cool to have.