PDA

View Full Version : Halfway to October

Fenway
07-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Looking at MLB as many teams have hit the 81 game mark

NL WEST - San Diego is the surprise - is the Eckstein factor at work again? Just seems good thing happen to teams he is on.

LA and Colo lurking and Giants slipping away

NL CENTRAL - Looks like a 2 team race with the Reds and Cards -

NL EAST - Is Bobby Cox going out a winner? Mets solid but they have to prove they can win in Sept...Phillies are just banged up

AL WEST - The big question is will the Texas heat in July and August wear them down. Anaheim not going away - but the WC could be in play.

AL CENTRAL - The White Sox looked dead a month ago but have jelled - They could run away with this.

AL EAST - Boston has to survive July with all their injuries. Tampa has a big headache with Upton - NYY is NYY

The 4 games Boston plays in Chicago the final week may be huge for both teams.

Craig Grebeck
07-05-2010, 12:43 PM

NL WEST - San Diego is the surprise - is the Eckstein factor at work again? Just seems good thing happen to teams he is on.

NL EAST - Is Bobby Cox going out a winner? Mets solid but they have to prove they can win in Sept...Phillies are just banged up

AL WEST - The big question is will the Texas heat in July and August wear them down. Anaheim not going away - but the WC could be in play.

AL CENTRAL - The White Sox looked dead a month ago but have jelled - They could run away with this.

AL EAST - Boston has to survive July with all their injuries. Tampa has a big headache with Upton - NYY is NYY

Wait, what?

Coops4Aces
07-05-2010, 01:27 PM

This is a bigger "wait, what?" to me.

bridgeportcopper
07-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Eckstein factor? I know a lot of Sox fans don't like him, but....what about the Orlando Cabrera factor? How many straight division winners has he been on....and look where the Reds are.
Just did the homework, and if the reds should win it, this would be his 4th straight division title and 6th in 7 years. I guess its time to admit this guy just may be a winner.

GoGoCrede
07-05-2010, 02:35 PM
I can't believe baseball season is almost halfway over. :(: :whiner:

downstairs
07-05-2010, 02:41 PM
There's no way the White Sox are going to "run away" with anything.

I'm newly optimistic, but if anything it is going to be at *least* a two-team race.

I mean- its a little unfair to mention a team running away with a division when they're technically in 3rd place.

Frater Perdurabo
07-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Eckstein factor? I know a lot of Sox fans don't like him, but....what about the Orlando Cabrera factor? How many straight division winners has he been on....and look where the Reds are.
Just did the homework, and if the reds should win it, this would be his 4th straight division title and 6th in 7 years. I guess its time to admit this guy just may be a winner.

Maybe a team would be unstoppable if, in addition to a good pitching staff and some good hitters in the outfield, they were to sign both Eckstein AND Cabrera.

Frater Perdurabo
07-05-2010, 03:18 PM
After this upcoming 4-game series with the Angels, the Sox play nothing but bad teams (KC 3 home/3 away; SEA 4/3; OAK 3/3; BAL 3/4) and division rivals (DET 3/4; MIN 4/7) that populate their schedule until Aug. 27 (Yankees).

In addition, I read somewhere that the prevailing summer winds in MIN tend to blow in from RF, which has, and would be expected to continue to, suppress the Twins predominant LH power. OTOH, during spring and fall, prevailing winds tend to blow out to RF, which would privilege LH power at the end of the season. Given that, I would expect the Twins to continue playing .500 ball in July and August, but get hot again in September.

If the Sox are going to make a move to claim the ALC, now is the time to do it.

gogosox675
07-06-2010, 12:18 AM
As much as I would love for it to happen, the Sox would have play unbelievable baseball and the Tigers and Twins would have to completely fall off the face of the earth for the Sox to run away with anything.

doublem23
07-06-2010, 12:29 AM

At least it's interesting again.

:bandance:

GoGoCrede
07-06-2010, 12:30 AM
At least it's interesting again.

:bandance:

Agreed. I love it when the Sox make the playoffs, the offseason is shorter. Not to jinx things, of course....:cool:

DumpJerry
07-06-2010, 12:50 AM
According to my friends who are Cub fans, it is already over.

chisoxfanatic
07-06-2010, 01:33 AM
According to my friends who are Cub fans, it is already over.
It's always over before it even starts for them.

hawkjt
07-06-2010, 08:31 AM
After this upcoming 4-game series with the Angels, the Sox play nothing but bad teams (KC 3 home/3 away; SEA 4/3; OAK 3/3; BAL 3/4) and division rivals (DET 3/4; MIN 4/7) that populate their schedule until Aug. 27 (Yankees).

In addition, I read somewhere that the prevailing summer winds in MIN tend to blow in from RF, which has, and would be expected to continue to, suppress the Twins predominant LH power. OTOH, during spring and fall, prevailing winds tend to blow out to RF, which would privilege LH power at the end of the season. Given that, I would expect the Twins to continue playing .500 ball in July and August, but get hot again in September.

If the Sox are going to make a move to claim the ALC, now is the time to do it.

As for the winds in Minneapolis, I have my doubts that the prevailing winds would do a 180 degree turn come Sept. The winds in Minneapolis are basically the same as the rest of the midwest...in the spring,north/NW...in the summer, West/SW, and in September..depends on the fronts, but often just an extension of summer winds..at least til the last two weeks maybe. I just think that the ball does not carry well in that ballpark,no matter the season at this point. M & M had like 3 homers total for the season in Target going into last week. Mauer has 3 homers total for the season. Morneau has good numbers overall,but Mauer is just so-so this year,so far. But Delmon Young seems to be thriving with 50+ rbis. So far, I think Target is not the advantage that the Dome was, but the home crowds give the Twins a lot more flex on salary,which is bad and probably will mean Cliff Lee on board soon...ouch.

As for the season...I just think the onerous second half schedule for the Sox means that they will be fighting uphill all season. As usual the Sox play the Yanks and especially the Red Sox late in the season,when they have loaded up at trade deadline and gotten all their injured players back and in a pennant drive....:angry: ...it will come down,if we are lucky, to beating the Red Sox,Twins and Tigers late in Sept to make the playoffs. Could be exciting,but also stressful and heartbreaking.

I want this Sox team to make it very badly but I fear the KC and Clevelands will snatch away their shot.
It is so close, I am hoping the Cliff Lee trade does not happen before that 4 game series next week in Minny...and then he gets traded somewhere before we play Seattle, who can absolutely shut you down for two games with King Felix and Cliff Lee...hard to beat those guys.
I want to avoid facing Lee as much as possible.

My picks:

Yanks,Red Sox(WC),Angels,Sox....what nu?

SOXSINCE'70
07-06-2010, 10:50 AM
[QUOTE=bridgeportcopper;2542597what about the Orlando Cabrera factor? How many straight division winners has he been on....and look where the Reds are.
Just did the homework, and if the reds should win it, this would be his 4th straight division title and 6th in 7 years. I guess its time to admit this guy just may be a winner.[/QUOTE]

In Chicago, thanks to his endless calls to the scorer's booth to change an error he'd committed to a hit, he'll be known more as a WHINER.:whiner:

SOXSINCE'70
07-06-2010, 10:51 AM
In Chicago, thanks to his endless calls to the scorer's booth to change an error he'd committed to a hit, he'll be known more as a WHINER.:whiner:

Oh, and saying Mike Scoscia is the best manager you've ever played for when Ozzie Guillen is your field manager;just my opinion, not smart.