PDA

View Full Version : Home run baseball--feast or famine

Procol Harum
08-05-2001, 06:26 PM
I know things aren't gonna change any this year, but this team is really getting to be irritating in terms of its reliance on the long ball. It seems like we can't score to save our lives unless someone goes deep. Don't get me wrong, I'm diggin' like everybody else when Konerko, Liefer, and Canseco go downtown (and when Ordonez and Lee were hitting dingers many moons ago) but that style of one-dimensional offensive baseball--alone--ain't gonna get us where we wanna go. There are two main problems here:

1.) A depressing lack of team speed which often translates into an inability to take extra bases and/or score on singles and doubles. To say nothing of all the rally-killing double plays the Sox hit into.

2.) Too many guys constantly swinging for the fences resulting in too many strikeouts, feeble pop-ups, tailor-made dp balls, and too feew bases on balls. We are in desparate need of someone who can consistently get the bat on the ball and hit for average if this team is going to contend for a championship. The return of a healthy Frank would be a major step for 2002 but I think we really need someone else. Can we kidnap Ichiro??

Mathew
08-05-2001, 06:54 PM
The problem is that it is mainly famine. Ex. The Whitesox, the Brewers, The Devil Rays, The Blue Jays, and to a lesser extent the Angels, all are suffering through a terrible season, all were leaders in homers last or this year. Strike Outs and double plays kill. These teams all love both. Speed, patience and hitting for average will manufacture enough runs to win. I don't think is made up of such poor hitting, this is just a bad year for Sox batting having their heads up their ass. Just like we had career years from many last season we are not getting career worsts this year. I will always love this team, but looking at the Mariners play baseball is a constant reminder of how far away we are. I do however believe that Seattle won't win the world series this year.

Procol Harum
08-05-2001, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Mathew
I will always love this team, but looking at the Mariners play baseball is a constant reminder of how far away we are. I do however believe that Seattle won't win the world series this year.

All good points, Matthew. I just hafta say that I am awe as I watch Seattle just steamroll the rest of the league and wish we played that kind of ball. They certainly DESERVE to win it all (at least at this point) but I too have this sneaking suspicion that it ain't gonna pan out--Those blankety-blank Yankees are going to be laying in the weeds. But, next to a Sox sweep of the Yanks in the ALCS, it would be nice to see Seattle--or anyone--simply poleaxe the Bronx 666 in the playoffs and stop some of that New York chirping.

Spiff
08-05-2001, 08:56 PM
I really think Seattle has the team to dethrone the Yankees. You watch them and they are just solid. Their pitching is devistating and their bullpen is unhittable. They are clutch and they can single-single-double you to death. I don't think the Yankees pitching can match Seattle's and I think that will be the difference.

Bmr31
08-05-2001, 11:11 PM
Ive always said the yanks are gonna win, in the past few seasons. THe yanks are done. The mariners do have the team to dethrone them.

doublem23
08-05-2001, 11:14 PM
Oh, definately. Right now, the Mariners are head and shoulders above any other team in baseball. They have EVERYTHING. I don't think that this is the beginning of a Mariner dynasty. Guys like Boone and Bell are having career years, but 2001 looks like it will be the year of the Mariners.