PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Great Scott! A Texas-sized High Five' 7/4 White Sox vs TEX Postgame Thread

soxinem1
07-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Good test for this team, as it sure is nice to have three closers!!!:bandance:

Sox starters gave up just eight runs to one of the toughest line ups in MLB.:bandance::bandance:

Again, just enough hitting.

Another series win!!

And one game back!!

Soxgirl22
Wow, that was a fast post of the postgame thread, haha.

1 game back!!!

BlackandWhiteSox
YES! 1 game back...damn KC and Cleveland...

GoGoCrede
07-04-2010, 09:34 PM
1 game back. We won the series against a red-hot team. I'm really pleased. I think this team is rolling.

DirtySox
Matt Thornton sure gets excited after closing a game. Complete opposite of the stone-faced stoicism when he works the 7th/8th.

SoxFan1979
YEAH BABY 1 game back 2 of 3 in Arlington. Can't beat it man wooooo :bandance::bandance:

TomParrish79
GIeWjLC_SB0

Frater Perdurabo
07-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Kotsay had a nice series. He's a good role player. Let's get a real LH hitter and run away with the division.

Tragg
07-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Credit the Oz for using Thornton to close out the Ws.
Rangers struggle with lefties.

A little 2008 redux: Quentin and Alexei

Craig Grebeck
07-04-2010, 09:37 PM
Watched the last inning on mute -- any word on what's up with Bobby?

WhiteSox5187
07-04-2010, 09:37 PM
Let's keep it going at home against another good team.

ElevenUp
07-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Great to take 2 of 3 from this Texas team. I'll drink to that! :gulp:

SI1020
07-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Kotsay had a nice series. He's a good role player. Let's get a real LH hitter and run away with the division. Yes he is and can be a valuable member of a ML team. Just quit putting people in roles that don't fit them.

Frater Perdurabo
07-04-2010, 09:39 PM

I think it's just because he's right handed and the Rangers have a lot of LH hitters, and Ozzie is trying to ease him back from his leave.

Brian26
07-04-2010, 09:40 PM

Maybe Ozzie is trying to ease him back in. Right now, Putz and Thornton are unhittable in the 8th and 9th, so thankfully its not an issue.

soxinem1
07-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Alexei with a nice road trip.

All we need is another stick in the DH spot.

As Big Frank says, 'No Doubt About It!!'

Brian26
07-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Great to take 2 of 3 from this Texas team. I'll drink to that! :gulp:

The most encouraging sign about this win tonight is that it is a series victory, giving the Sox now seven series wins in the last eight (if my memory serves me correctly):

Detroit
Cubs
Pittsburgh
Nats
Atlanta
Cubs
(Royals - series loss)
Texas

Keep it rolling. I never thought I'd see this team climb to within a game of first place.

SoxFan1979
07-04-2010, 09:42 PM
No Doubt About drinking game?

voodoochile
07-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Okay, now that the Sox have taken a series from a redhot first place AL team in their park is it okay to start believing in the team or do they need to sweep the Yankees in the playoffs before we get excited?

Nice win. Heck of a team effort. Mark throwing the ball so effortlessly as usual. Too bad he gave up the two homers (both to LHH :scratch: ) but the offense picked him up and the bullpen slammed the door. Lillibridge continues to make the most of his opportunities though he did airmail that throw after double clutching. Thornton barely blinked though and the final pitch was all kinds of nasty and even the Rangers' strike checker said it was right there, protestations from Cruz notwithstanding.

Nice to see some power from TCM again. We need a bit more of that.

.500 on the road after a long sweet winning streak ended. No letdowns and that's so cool. One more week until the break. Would love to see KW land us a bat before we get back from it.

Oh and get well soon, Omar. You have been a nice part of the team this year.

How soon until Teahen gets back?

:soxwin:

:)

guillensdisciple
07-04-2010, 09:43 PM
1 game back.

Let's get to first by the all star break

asindc
07-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Matt Thornton sure gets excited after closing a game. Complete opposite of the stone-faced stoicism when he works the 7th/8th.

When he closes the game, he knows that we have won at that point. I'm glad that he does not get as excited after the 7th or 8th, because it shows that he knows that there is still work to be done.

Brian26
07-04-2010, 09:46 PM

There were some friendly words exchanged with Lillibridge. I think he told him, "you owe me one!"

WhiteSox5187
07-04-2010, 09:48 PM

Ozzie mentioned the other day that Bobby is not quite in baseball playing shape with his week off without working out and with his history of calf issues he wants to ease him back. Plus as others have mentioned the Rangers struggle against lefties.

Any word on Vizquel?

russ99
07-04-2010, 09:48 PM
Great win, and we could have swept them with a few breaks yesterday.

This team's turned the corner, I don't think Kenny needs any more proof to buy.

Hopefully Omar's OK...

BlackandWhiteSox
07-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Why wasn't Lillibridge(who had a good game at the plate) charged with an error in the 9th?

DirtySox
07-04-2010, 09:49 PM
When he closes the game, he knows that we have won at that point. I'm glad that he does not get as excited after the 7th or 8th, because it shows that he knows that there is still work to be done.

Makes sense. Just somewhat odd and amusing to see Matty amped up like that. I'm so used to him walking back to the dugout.

voodoochile
07-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Why wasn't Lillibridge(who had a good game at the plate) charged with an error in the 9th?

Because scorers never assume the DP. Since an out was recorded and no extra bases resulted, there is no error.

russ99
Any word on Vizquel?

They mentioned on the broadcast that initial X-rays showed a deep bruise, but I'd think he'd get an MRI just to be sure.

Craig Grebeck
Good on Ozzie for easing Bobby back in. I wouldn't want my first game back to be in Texas.

Brian26
Any word on Vizquel?

X-Rays show bone-bruise at this point. Melton thinks Omar won't be able to sleep tonight. Dr. Pain is working on him right now with ice. He'll probably be hobbling around for a few days...re-evaluate tomorrow.

asindc
07-04-2010, 09:51 PM

You can't assume the DP.

TDog
07-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Two out of three in Texas in July is good, especially with the way Texas has been playing.

It should have been three out of three, but two out of three against a very hot first place team on the road is great.

Ramirez had a great series and even hit a home run to win the game, as it turned out. It was nice to see Buehrle go seven tonight. Getting two scoreless innings out of the bullpen is easier than getting three.

And, of course, it is nice to have three pitchers who can close games, depending on the situation.

I wonder if the people who gave up at the season a month ago have come back yet. In any case, if they do come back, I hope that they don't come back and be I-told-you-so jerks every time the Sox lose from here on out.

This is a pretty good team that plays pretty good baseball.

Brian26
07-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Nice Frank comment on the post-game as the camera panned across that Madusa-like hair-do in the crowd.

Brian26
07-04-2010, 09:54 PM

Because scorers never assume the DP. Since an out was recorded and no extra bases resulted, there is no error.

You can't assume the DP.

We had a good discussion about this earlier in the year:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=119041&highlight=scoring+question

russ99
07-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Fan of the game on the postgame... LOL.

veeter
07-04-2010, 09:56 PM
Great game. I love the bullpen.

doublem23
07-04-2010, 09:57 PM
kM7C_yNlCLU

Nelfox02
07-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Our pitching staff was great this weekend----I figured Big Game had a shot to be successful because all that junk he threw might confuse Texas....but I thought Danks and Mark would get absolutely rocked-----nice job starters AND pen! this is the type of series that shows how a team like the Sox could be dangerous in the playoffs....if we get there. Texas is one of the best AL line ups going right now, and we kept them pretty quiet in their park over a three game set

This turned into a frustrating loss in the making to a great W with one swing of TCM's bat......nice :bandance:

Weather forecast looks crummy for the next two days----hopefully we get these games in, another test series for us with LAA, but outside of the potential weaver match-up on Tuesday, everyone we face is beatable, especially Kazmir.....

BlackandWhiteSox
07-04-2010, 09:58 PM

You can't assume the DP.

Forgot about that, thanks.

chisoxfanatic
07-04-2010, 10:01 PM
What an odd road trip...lose 2 of 3 in KC then win 2 of 3 in Texas...I'll take it, though, because I was expecting the reverse. I can't believe this team is only one game out.

voodoochile
07-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Forgot about that, thanks.

Actually, it's because he's Brent ****ing Lillibridge and the scorers are afraid of him...

http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/mlb/players/65/28970.jpg
"They don't call me the babyfaced assassin for nothing..."

GoGoCrede
07-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Yep, this is going to be an awesome summer. Happy 4th, everyone! 1 game out!!

johnnyg83
07-04-2010, 10:12 PM
That's a great win (and series win) against a great opponent on the road. Props to our pitching ... which seems like it's been amazing since June 1.

I hope Joe Morgan's assistants never tell him about our BP.

GAsoxfan
07-04-2010, 10:12 PM
I've been impressed with Lillibridge this year. He plays solid D (usually) at multiple positions, has good speed off the bench, and seems to have a clue at the plate. He may be in Chicago to stay.

asindc
07-04-2010, 10:17 PM
That's a great win (and series win) against a great opponent on the road. Props to our pitching ... which seems like it's been amazing since June 1.

:scratch:?

SoxFan1979
07-04-2010, 10:21 PM
18 of 23 not to shabby. Thank you NL for sparking our Sox up.

Love Big Franks comment on why The Missle is a slow starter.

He's from Cuba, forget about April and May he'll start swinging when it's 80 90 degrees out

PalehosePlanet
07-04-2010, 10:32 PM

Buck Martinez, during The Yankees/Jays game on TBS today, said that we had the best pen in the AL.

Also, as others have said, I'm very surprised at how well Liilibridge has played so far. He's a completely different hitter than what we saw last year.

pudge
07-04-2010, 10:32 PM
I wonder if the people who gave up at the season a month ago have come back yet. In any case, if they do come back, I hope that they don't come back and be I-told-you-so jerks every time the Sox lose from here on out.

This is a pretty good team that plays pretty good baseball.

It was going to take something epic to get back into it, and sure enough it took one of the longest winning streaks in franchise history. If we can start with a clean slate heading into the second half, I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Saracen
07-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Nice series. I take out of this weekend that the White Sox are a solid contender and the Rangers are damn scary - they have both the offense and the bullpen. Hope to see em again in the post season.

Carneyman14
07-04-2010, 11:08 PM
MVPs for the series:

Kotsay
Juan P
Alexi
& Pitching staff!!!!!!!

Amazing what our pitchers just did to one of the better hitting teams in all of baseball. That Hamilton is just unconscious right now.

1 game back and lets get Paulie in the ASG

VOTE KONERKO

doublem23
07-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Nice series. I take out of this weekend that the White Sox are a solid contender and the Rangers are damn scary - they have both the offense and the bullpen. Hope to see em again in the post season.

Yeah, this was a big litmus test for this team. Not that an 11-game win streak wasn't huge, but it was nice to see them go to toe-to-toe with a real team from the AL. Could have won Saturday night, too, but just could never get that big hit when needed. Oh well, that's baseball, thanks to that win streak they're not in a position where every loss is a disaster.

4 with the Angels and 3 with the Royals at home, hopefully a recipe to end the 1st half hot.

johnnyg83
07-04-2010, 11:47 PM
Morgan said we had the best bullpen of all time a few years ago .. it was June. By August, we didn't.

slavko
07-05-2010, 12:41 AM
Buck Martinez, during The Yankees/Jays game on TBS today, said that we had the best pen in the AL.

Also, as others have said, I'm very surprised at how well Liilibridge has played so far. He's a completely different hitter than what we saw last year.

Didn't need Buck to tell us that. Lillibridge > Nix in every facet of the game, a different hitter indeed. It has to stop, right? Or not? If not he has to play somewhere. Omar's bone bruise could be an opportunity for him; bone bruises can last weeks. Or dare I say that a .200 hitting infielder might want to start worrying? At the very least we got ourselves a bench.

Don't forget the nice help we've had from our friends in Detroit and Minny. If one of them had gotten warm at the same time we got hot we'd still be ~7 games back.

kevingrt
07-05-2010, 12:52 AM
MVPs for the series:

Kotsay
Juan P
Alexi
& Pitching staff!!!!!!!

Amazing what our pitchers just did to one of the better hitting teams in all of baseball. That Hamilton is just unconscious right now.

1 game back and lets get Paulie in the ASG

VOTE KONERKO

Matty and JJ have been super lately.

voodoochile
07-05-2010, 12:59 AM
Yeah, this was a big litmus test for this team. Not that an 11-game win streak wasn't huge, but it was nice to see them go to toe-to-toe with a real team from the AL. Could have won Saturday night, too, but just could never get that big hit when needed. Oh well, that's baseball, thanks to that win streak they're not in a position where every loss is a disaster.

4 with the Angels and 3 with the Royals at home, hopefully a recipe to end the 1st half hot.

Win both series they are a minimum 7 games over at the break. I think most of us would have been happy with that if we'd offered it up in March. Having come from where they were, it would be freaking amazing...

Ranger
07-05-2010, 02:12 AM
Morgan said we had the best bullpen of all time a few years ago .. it was June. By August, we didn't.

Difference is that the most important relievers this year, are guys with track records. There were still quite a few unknowns in 2007.

Mohoney
07-05-2010, 02:16 AM
For the first time this season, I'm honestly convinced that we're a better team than the Tigers or the Twins.

Mark Buehrle and Jake Peavy are back.

SoxGirl4Life
07-05-2010, 03:44 AM
I knew we'd win :)

Great series win. There's no stopping us now!

mccoydp
07-05-2010, 04:54 AM
I didn't get to watch this one live, but I did catch the end on Gameday. Great win for the Sox. It's a shame that they couldn't take 2 of 3 from the Royals, because this Texas team is very good.

LITTLE NELL
07-05-2010, 05:00 AM
Great game. I love the bullpen.

Maybe as good as 2005.

JermaineDye05
07-05-2010, 06:28 AM

He's being replaced.

harwar
07-05-2010, 07:15 AM
beating the rangers at home is impressive .. i thought the last 2 series would be reversed and that we'd beat the royals and lose in texas .. our pitching can stand up against anyone i think .. Lillibridge looks as if he's filled out a bit and has more drive behind his swings .. good choice by Ozzie using Thorton and not Jenks to close out the game .. Kotsay is hitting .350 with 4 doubles in his last 7 games .. hope Omar is ok .. we need him .. i hope that Gavin continues to roll .. let's roll ..

BadBobbyJenks
07-05-2010, 10:08 AM
Can we start beating bad teams now?

NDSox12
07-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Can we start beating bad teams now?

I assume you mean bad AL teams because we beat plenty of bad NL teams.

BRDSR
07-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Just finished watching the game on mlb.tv. Nothing much to add, except that I will be livid if Kotsay or Lillibridge aren't in the lineup tonight. Those are the types of bats that won't stay hot forever, but you gotta ride 'em while they're hot, especially when the alternatives are the epicly struggling Jones and Beckham.

Kotsay, dare I say, was downright good this past series. Come on, you all have to admit it.

Craig Grebeck
07-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Just finished watching the game on mlb.tv. Nothing much to add, except that I will be livid if Kotsay or Lillibridge aren't in the lineup tonight. Those are the types of bats that won't stay hot forever, but you gotta ride 'em while they're hot, especially when the alternatives are the epicly struggling Jones and Beckham.

Kotsay, dare I say, was downright good this past series. Come on, you all have to admit it.
He was very good. I trust he'll be in every single game this series, as is often the case.

Chez
07-05-2010, 12:34 PM

With Kazmir pitching tonight for LAA, I think you'll see Viciedo, Beckham and Lillibridge in the line-up with Kotsay on the bench.

voodoochile
07-05-2010, 01:00 PM
With Kazmir pitching tonight for LAA, I think you'll see Viciedo, Beckham and Lillibridge in the line-up with Kotsay on the bench.

Close, substitute Jones for Beckham and you were correct...

october23sp
07-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Missed the game because I was at the lake but I'll take wins, glad to see my boy Alexei homered.:bandance:

markopat
07-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Okay, now that the Sox have taken a series from a redhot first place AL team in their park is it okay to start believing in the team or do they need to sweep the Yankees in the playoffs before we get excited?

DAMN RIGHT it's OK to believe!!!!

palehozenychicty
07-05-2010, 02:44 PM
A really nice series for the Sox. The Rangers have always given them problems in Arlington and to beat them when they may have arguably their most complete team ever speaks volumes. If we can get a solid DH, this team has a chance to do some things.

DonnieDarko
07-05-2010, 05:43 PM
I'll admit, I wrote off this team a month or so ago.

Now that I eat crow, I'm trying to work out my finances with my fiance to get tickets to one of the games either before or right after the All-Star Break.

BringHomeDaBacon
07-05-2010, 05:51 PM
I'll admit, I wrote off this team a month or so ago.

Now that I eat crow, I'm trying to work out my finances with my fiance to get tickets to one of the games either before or right after the All-Star Break.

Keep an eye on stubhub up until 5pm on day of game, the ticket prices often drop way below face value.