PDA

View Full Version : D Wise

BigHurt3515
07-04-2010, 01:58 PM
3 Run home run today against the Yankees and 2 outfield assists..

LITTLE NELL
07-04-2010, 02:08 PM

I think I would take Wise over Andruw Jones right now.

doublem23
07-04-2010, 02:11 PM

I would take almost any other Major League player over either of them.

wilburaga
07-04-2010, 02:13 PM

Don't forget his extra inning bases clearing triple against the Yanks on Friday. I'm really glad he's getting a little more time in the show.

asindc
07-04-2010, 02:34 PM

In the same inning. Even with that, BA would have hit a grand slam and had three outfield assists.

voodoochile
07-04-2010, 02:35 PM
In the same inning. Even with that, BA would have hit a grand slam and had three outfield assists.

Please don't, even in jest...

Brian26
07-04-2010, 02:39 PM

I'm also certain that there would be a contingent of Sox fans whining about D-Wise right now if he was getting significant playing time.

I'm glad he had a nice night for Toronto and wish him continued success when he's not playing the Sox.

happydude
07-04-2010, 02:52 PM
I'm also certain that there would be a contingent of Sox fans whining about D-Wise right now if he was getting significant playing time.

I'm glad he had a nice night for Toronto and wish him continued success when he's not playing the Sox.

Absolutely. I turned that game on just in time to see him drill that hanger off the foul pole and then, in the bottom of the same inning, throw out Swisher and Texeira at the plate.

He's not what most would call a good player and that's not likely to ever change but he's had his moments and will have some nice stories to tell family and friends when the book on his career closes. Hopefully, he stays in the bigs long enough to make some money and does something "Wise" with it to make his future easier.

asindc
07-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Please don't, even in jest...

Yeah, I know, tempting fate with that one...

theamb
07-04-2010, 03:08 PM

They would certainly be whining after that inside the park home run he couldn't track down

asindc
07-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Wise has just hit an RBI single off Rivera in the 9th to tie the game.

BigHurt3515
07-04-2010, 03:22 PM
And just tied the game in the 9th..
2-5, HR 4 RBI 3K's

TDog
07-04-2010, 04:45 PM
I think Wise was treated poorly by the fans in Chicago. It was wrong of him to say that to a reporter, but he was right in feeling that way. He played hard and gave it everything he had. The Sox replaced him with Rios last summer, which would seem a no-brainer, but Rios hit only .199 for the Sox and dropped two routine fly balls in center while the White Sox plummetted into oblivion from the divisional race perspective. I don't think it's a stretch to imagine Wise could have done a better job. The Sox may even have won the division.

This year, I'm not unhappy Wise is gone from the Sox, and I'm glad the Sox have Rios. But he worked hard, and I'll always wish him success, unless he ends up with the A's.

happydude
07-04-2010, 05:40 PM
I think Wise was treated poorly by the fans in Chicago. It was wrong of him to say that to a reporter, but he was right in feeling that way. He played hard and gave it everything he had. The Sox replaced him with Rios last summer, which would seem a no-brainer, but Rios hit only .199 for the Sox and dropped two routine fly balls in center while the White Sox plummetted into oblivion from the divisional race perspective. I don't think it's a stretch to imagine Wise could have done a better job. The Sox may even have won the division.

This year, I'm not unhappy Wise is gone from the Sox, and I'm glad the Sox have Rios. But he worked hard, and I'll always wish him success, unless he ends up with the A's.

This is probably true. But it wasn't petty meanspiritedness driving the treatment; it was borne of the frustration of having a player of his ability seeing so much playing time. Dewayne was asked to do more than he was capable of, mostly failed, and thus the fans lashed out. The negative treatment he received can be more properly laid at the feet of the organization.

I'm glad he finished his time here on a positive note and that he will eternally be part of Sox lore. Like you, I wish him the best.

WhiteSox5187
07-04-2010, 05:52 PM
This is probably true. But it wasn't petty meanspiritedness driving the treatment; it was borne of the frustration of having a player of his ability seeing so much playing time. Dewayne was asked to do more than he was capable of, mostly failed, and thus the fans lashed out. The negative treatment he received can be more properly laid at the feet of the organization.

I'm glad he finished his time here on a positive note and that he will eternally be part of Sox lore. Like you, I wish him the best.

The thing is, he didn't get a whole lot of playing time. He started 36 games and got about 150 ABs. The fact that he was the Opening Day starter probably distorts the amount of playing time he actually got.

happydude
07-04-2010, 05:57 PM
The thing is, he didn't get a whole lot of playing time. He started 36 games and got about 150 ABs. The fact that he was the Opening Day starter probably distorts the amount of playing time he actually got.

No question. It certainly did in my mind. It seemed like he got twice as many starts as that.

GoGoCrede
07-04-2010, 06:31 PM
I love him. Always felt he had a lot of heart, even if the ability was often not there. I want the absolute best for him.

Ranger
07-05-2010, 02:18 AM

It doesn't matter. He doesn't know that when he's walking back to the dugout and getting booed after his second at bat of the season.

It was ridiculous, and ignorant on the part of the fans that did that. There is no defending it because he did nothing to deserve it.

happydude
07-05-2010, 02:37 AM
It doesn't matter. He doesn't know that when he's walking back to the dugout and getting booed after his second at bat of the season.

It was ridiculous, and ignorant on the part of the fans that did that. There is no defending it because he did nothing to deserve it.

Oh I'm certainly not defending it; merely suggesting that it wasn't as personal as I'm sure it felt to him.

HebrewHammer
07-05-2010, 03:16 AM

I think he was booed for not being very good at baseball, but for some reason our braintrust was convinced he could be the everyday center fielder. The booing probably had more to do with KW than it did Wise.

#1swisher
07-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Keep it going DWise!

doublem23
07-05-2010, 09:04 AM
I think he was booed for not being very good at baseball, but for some reason our braintrust was convinced he could be the everyday center fielder. The booing probably had more to do with KW than it did Wise.

Totally, that was just an idiotic decision, almost up there with Ozzie bringing Jerry Owens north and sending TCQ to AAA before the start of the '08 season. Luckily Owens has the durability of a china doll, and TCQ broke camp with the Sox... The rest is history.

I'm sure Dewayne is a nice enough person and he has a lot of heart, but you guys realize he's a terrible baseball player, right? Only in Magical Fantasyland is he an everyday CF and lead-off hitter.

Frater Perdurabo
07-05-2010, 09:07 AM
Magical Fantasyland

An apt description of Ozzie's talent evaluation aptitude.

TheOldRoman
07-05-2010, 09:09 AM
Totally, that was just an idiotic decision, almost up there with Ozzie bringing Jerry Owens north and sending TCQ to AAA before the start of the '08 season. Luckily Owens has the durability of a china doll, and TCQ broke camp with the Sox... The rest is history.

I'm sure Dewayne is a nice enough person and he has a lot of heart, but you guys realize he's a terrible baseball player, right? Only in Magical Fantasyland is he an everyday CF and lead-off hitter.That is not true at all. Quentin was making this team. He was coming off surgery, and the Sox didn't think he would be fully healthy. They planned originally to keep Carlos in extended spring training, but he was never going to AAA. As it turns out, he was healthy enough to start the season with the big club.

Brian26
07-05-2010, 09:25 AM

Don't let those numbers fool you either. The only reason he didn't get more playing time was because he dislocated his shoulder making that diving catch in Detroit. He was gone for over a month early last season and then traded places with Quentin on the DL when TCQ had the foot injury.

Thank Pods' lighting-in-a-bottle off waivers and being able to play a respectable CF for saving us from more of Wise last season.

Tragg
07-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Thank Pods' lighting-in-a-bottle off waivers and being able to play a respectable CF for saving us from more of Wise last season.

Indeed.

Wise didn''t deserve to be booed- he wasn't underperforming after signing a big contract; and he didn't insert himself in the lineup and at leadoff.
But he was terrible.

Craig Grebeck
07-05-2010, 10:25 AM
There is a very troubling tendency on the part of the White Sox to reward bench guys for their fluky contributions. Wise was a prime example, as is Kotsay. Both were signed far too early in the free agency process, and both underperformed.

TDog
07-05-2010, 05:46 PM

It doesn't matter. Of course, when people posted their anti-Wise (un-Wise -- whatever) comments last year, they were directed at Wise, and some of them seemed personal.

As it turned out, Wise brought more to the Sox than Rios did last year, despite the disparity in their baseball skills. Maybe it's fitting that Wise was at the center of the biggest highlight of the 2009 season.

russ99
07-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Are we really going back to this idiotic argument? Neither player is with the Sox anymore, who cares.

Final proof - one player is currently in the big leagues the other is becoming a pitcher.

But as much as I disliked the play of BA, I never booed him. Some Sox fans should be ashamed of themselves.

Besides, if Ozzie's such a poor evaluator of talent, how come Anderson didn't become the all-star CF some of you were blindly hopeful of with the two other organizations he was with?

Maybe all 30 GMs are poor evaulators too.

voodoochile
07-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Are we really going back to this idiotic argument? Neither player is with the Sox anymore, who cares.

Final proof - one player is currently in the big leagues the other is becoming a pitcher.

But as much as I disliked the play of BA, I never booed him. Some Sox fans should be ashamed of themselves.

Besides, if Ozzie's such a poor evaluator of talent, how come Anderson didn't become the all-star CF some of you were blindly hopeful of with the two other organizations he was with?

Maybe all 30 GMs are poor evaulators too.

Actually no we haven't been having that argument if you bothered to read the whole thread. No one has mentioned BA in anything other than jest until you came along. The discussion has been on the merits of Wise and whether he deserved to be booed and whether the perception of favoratism was actually what drove the fan's response to him.

SI1020
07-05-2010, 06:26 PM
3 Run home run today against the Yankees and 2 outfield assists.. Really?

voodoochile
07-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Really?

Yes, really, check the time stamp on the post...

SI1020
07-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Yes, really, check the time stamp on the post... If I'm being stupid or dense it won't be the first or the last time. I see that the Blue Jays did indeed have three home runs and Wise did have 2 outfield assists. I always thought one of the best parts of D. Wise's game was his arm. It read to me that Wise had 3 home runs, not the team, so I asked the question. I wish Wise the best and never booed him. Another player the Sox put in a bad situation.

voodoochile
07-05-2010, 07:17 PM
If I'm being stupid or dense it won't be the first or the last time. I see that the Blue Jays did indeed have three home runs and Wise did have 2 outfield assists. I always thought one of the best parts of D. Wise's game was his arm. It read to me that Wise had 3 home runs, not the team, so I asked the question. I wish Wise the best and never booed him. Another player the Sox put in a bad situation.

Okay, that explains the confusion. No he didn't have 3 HR yesterday. I thought you were confused about him not having done it "today".

Tragg
07-05-2010, 10:36 PM
In the spirit of ex great Sox, Jayson Nix hit 2 HR tonight.

russ99
07-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Actually no we haven't been having that argument if you bothered to read the whole thread. No one has mentioned BA in anything other than jest until you came along. The discussion has been on the merits of Wise and whether he deserved to be booed and whether the perception of favoratism was actually what drove the fan's response to him.

He was booed not because of his play, it was because a certain percentage of the fanbase wanted Anderson. Otherwise, nobody would have even considered the possibility of favoritism.

Are these complaints about Ozzie's "poor player evaluation" in this case with Wise, as well as the constant complaints about Erstad and Mackowiak solely about the merits of that player's ability? I don't think so.

asindc
07-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Indeed.

Wise didn''t deserve to be booed- he wasn't underperforming after signing a big contract; and he didn't insert himself in the lineup and at leadoff.
But he was terrible.

Agreed. Whatever the reason(s), booing Wise on Opening Day was disgraceful.