PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Can't get that clutch hit 7/3 Postgame thread

GoGoCrede
07-03-2010, 10:43 PM
Damn. Made it a bit exciting in the end, though.

twinsuck
07-03-2010, 10:44 PM
What a freaking horrible game.

Tragg
Your title is the story.

Winnable game, but...

soxinem1
Jones looks pathetic.

Guys stranded all game. We just couldn't string some hits.

Foulke You
Just couldn't get any kind of clutch hit today. How many runners were stranded that game? 12? We had plenty of chances. Danks was solid too.

GoGoCrede
07-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Your title is the story.

Winnable game, but...

10 hits, 9 singles.

LoveYourSuit
07-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Kenny has to make a move for another bat.

This is AL baseball now, you can hide that missing bat when you play NL teams.

Not the AL.

2-3 now since the end of interleague play.

Shoeless_Jim
07-03-2010, 10:46 PM
Just couldn't get any kind of clutch hit today. How many runners were stranded that game? 12? We had plenty of chances. Danks was solid too.

12?!:angry: thats terrible.

soltrain21
07-03-2010, 10:48 PM
I think it shows how big of joke our DH situation is when you pinch hit for him in the ninth.

WhiteSox5187
07-03-2010, 10:48 PM
At the end of the day we are a mediocre team at best that had a nice stretch of baseball there for two weeks. We need to get another bat and Andruw Jones (and Kotsay) should be let go of. Jones had a nice April but is doing his annual disappearing act as the season moves past April.

PhillipsBubba
07-03-2010, 10:49 PM
What we need is a a guy with some pop from the left side...like Jim Thome...oops!!!!

WhiteSox5187
07-03-2010, 10:50 PM
What we need is a a guy with some pop from the left side...like Jim Thome...oops!!!!

I'd settle for a guy who could hit his weight.

doublem23
Lame, but expected. Texas is a good team, Hunter is a good, young pitcher whom we've never seen before. We've seen this story unfold enough to know it by now.

Win tomorrow and split the road trip.

Frater Perdurabo
I think it shows how big of joke our DH situation is when you pinch hit for him in the ninth.

Jones = Richard Pryor
Kotsay = Gene Wilder
Ozzie = See No Evil, Hear No Evil
Sox DH situation = Pure Comedy Gold

WhiteSox5187
07-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Jones = Richard Pryor
Kotsay = Gene Wilder
Ozzie = See No Evil, Hear No Evil
Sox DH situation = Pure Comedy Gold

I'll never get why Ozzie gets all the blame for the personnel moves on this team. At any point Kenny could have said "You don't want Thome? Too bad, he will be better than Mark ****ing Kotsay." But he didn't do that. He also thought that Kotsay and Jones could work as DH and that Teahen could play third and play it well and that having Gordon Beckham try to learn his third position in two years wouldn't aversely affect his offensive production.

PhillipsBubba
07-03-2010, 10:54 PM
Kenny has to make a move for another bat.

This is AL baseball now, you can hide that missing bat when you play NL teams.

Not the AL.

2-3 now since the end of interleague play.

If KW trades for Prince Fielder, will Oswaldo the Magnificent play him every day?

....oh...I forgot...OG says we don't need any improvements:scratch:

Foulke You
At the end of the day we are a mediocre team at best that had a nice stretch of baseball there for two weeks. We need to get another bat and Andruw Jones (and Kotsay) should be let go of. Jones had a nice April but is doing his annual disappearing act as the season moves past April.
Andruw looked terrible today. He is just up there hacking at every single pitch with that big loopy swing. At least Kotsay gives you some good ABs, fouls off some pitches, and takes a walk once in a while. Jones has looked completely overmatched. I would have to imagine he could be the odd man out if and when KW makes a trade.

Frater Perdurabo
I'll never get why Ozzie gets all the blame for the personnel moves on this team. At any point Kenny could have said "You don't want Thome? Too bad, he will be better than Mark ****ing Kotsay." But he didn't do that. He also thought that Kotsay and Jones could work as DH and that Teahen could play third and play it well and that having Gordon Beckham try to learn his third position in two years wouldn't aversely affect his offensive production.

Ozzie makes the ****ing lineups.

Nelfox02
Man.....watching Jones hit is painful, I would rather see Kotsay there, cant we just release Jones? we arent paying him anytihing.....why not?

You look at this game, the teams, in Tex, the pitching match up......had loss written all over it before a pitch was thrown

credit Danks for keeping us in this game, new guy out fo the pen did a nice job mopping up the mess Pena made.......but same old song and dance with the offense......cant get the big hit

most frustrating thing for me this season is that I felt from the get go that Kenny and Ozzie put together a nice .500 team, some weeks maybe a game or two over...other weeks a game or two under but for awhile we were at 10 under, now the streak put this team where it should be

just feels like we are spinning wheels, at least we are competitve in the division again.....not sure how much longer that will last however with this squad as currently put together

WhiteSox5187
07-03-2010, 10:55 PM
If KW trades for Prince Fielder, will Oswaldo the Magnificent play him every day?

....oh...I forgot...OG says we don't need any improvements:scratch:

No manager is going to publicly admit the weaknesses of their team if they are in contention. You have to believe you can do it because if Kenny doesn't get anyone then what? "Oh ****, sorry you guys! Maybe you CAN do it!" Fielder or Dunn will play everyday if Kenny gets them.

doublem23
07-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Andruw looked terrible today. He is just up there hacking at every single pitch with that big loopy swing. At least Kotsay gives you some good ABs, fouls off some pitches, and takes a walk once in a while. Jones has looked completely overmatched. I would have to imagine he could be the odd man out if and when KW makes a trade.

Yeah, I can't even figure out why Jones is still here. Can we really not afford to eat the rest of that near-league minimum contract. We squeezed a few good months out of him, but he is beyond terrible. DFA him, bring up De Aza, who would at least be another dynamic PR off the bench.

Andruw Jones is the bane of my existence.

WhiteSox5187
07-03-2010, 10:58 PM
Ozzie makes the ****ing lineups.

And Kenny gives him the guys to make that lineup with. Does Kotsay suck? Yea. You could put Vicideo in there and probably should, but then there is one left handed bat in the lineup. Not ideal. Kotsay is the only left handed bat we have until Teahen gets back.

A. Cavatica
07-03-2010, 11:02 PM

At third.

october23sp
07-03-2010, 11:05 PM
I miss the longball.

Foulke You
07-03-2010, 11:15 PM
I miss the longball.
Me too. Quentin's bomb to CF on Monday in KC was the only HR we hit on this road trip. We have two regular hitters that don't have power at all in Vizquel and Pierre and we have three hitters that have really struggled to find their power stroke this year in Ramirez, Beckham, and AJ. This is too many slots without power which is why we get a lot of games like tonight with men on base but nobody to drive them home. Pierre, Vizquel, Alexei, AJ, and Beckham have combined for only 13 HRs this year.

PushinWeight
07-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Sucks we didnt win but all is forgiven if we take the series tomorrow. It would have been nice to take a game on the twins, however we are still blessed to be in the position we are in now. Kenny, go out and get this lineup another bat sooner than later!

ndgt10
07-03-2010, 11:22 PM
Tip your cap...

SBSoxFan
07-03-2010, 11:32 PM
Me too. Quentin's bomb to CF on Monday in KC was the only HR we hit on this road trip. We have two regular hitters that don't have power at all in Vizquel and Pierre and we have three hitters that have really struggled to find their power stroke this year in Ramirez, Beckham, and AJ. This is too many slots without power which is why we get a lot of games like tonight with men on base but nobody to drive them home. Pierre, Vizquel, Alexei, AJ, and Beckham have combined for only 13 HRs this year.

Well, the guy who is tied for 2nd in the majors in home runs couldn't drive in a run from third with one out in the 8th. That could have been huge too given Lillibridge's double leading off the 9th.

12?!:angry: thats terrible.

Actually, it was 8, and 0 for 8 with RISP.

Is it time to start Lillibridge for a few games?

I'm surprised these games have been so low scoring. I guess that stadium plays big when it's cool. No one probably knew that, however. When's it ever been cool in Texas at the end of June / Beginning of July?

cards press box
07-03-2010, 11:42 PM
Yeah, I can't even figure out why Jones is still here. Can we really not afford to eat the rest of that near-league minimum contract. We squeezed a few good months out of him, but he is beyond terrible. DFA him, bring up De Aza, who would at least be another dynamic PR off the bench.

Andruw Jones is the bane of my existence.

I can't figure it out, either. It's hard to imagine Jones staying on the roster much longer. I expect the Sox will release him or deal him to Atlanta (who is looking for a right-handed hitting outfielder) for not a whole lot (as he will not bring much in return).

cards press box
07-03-2010, 11:45 PM
Is it time to start Lillibridge for a few games?

Could be. It sure looks as though Lillibridge has taken Ozzie's advice and worked at hitting line drives. Let's not forget that Lillibridge was a top prospect of both Atlanta and Pittsburgh not all that long ago. Maybe it just took him a while to get it together.

Craig Grebeck
07-03-2010, 11:56 PM
Because he publicly stated Jim Thome simply wouldn't get enough at-bats on this ballclub.

No manager is going to publicly admit the weaknesses of their team if they are in contention. You have to believe you can do it because if Kenny doesn't get anyone then what? "Oh ****, sorry you guys! Maybe you CAN do it!" Fielder or Dunn will play everyday if Kenny gets them.
Ozzie calls his team out all the time. He's very candid with the media. Believing he'd hold back in this instance is quite foolish.

tebman
07-03-2010, 11:57 PM
Jones is bad. 'Nuff said.

Meantime, the Totally Biased Game Recap (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=3991) is ready for your abuse.

Crede24Thome25
07-03-2010, 11:57 PM
I personally think once andruw gets the 2 homers and reaches 400 hr, he will begin to hit. He seems to be swinging for the fences every time. Konerko looks awful as of late, not saying he's awful or anything.

slavko
07-04-2010, 12:04 AM

You're welcome to believe that Beckham's offensive problems are due to his defensive switch, but the tailoff started last August. He actually looks a little less lost than 2 weeks ago. Lillibridge needs some more AB's to disprove what we're seeing. Or not. Dayan too. Easy answer is to get them at the black hole that is DH. Good answer too, IMO.

TomBradley72
07-04-2010, 12:12 AM
When Teahen comes back, Jones is gone.

Nix replaced with Lillibridge (who is now the 5th OF)
Jones replaced with Viciedo
Williams replaced with Threets

Teahen or Kotsay (probably Kotsay due to Teahen's contract) need to be replaced with a legitimate DH...c'mon KW.

pudge
07-04-2010, 02:19 AM
I personally think once andruw gets the 2 homers and reaches 400 hr, he will begin to hit. He seems to be swinging for the fences every time. Konerko looks awful as of late, not saying he's awful or anything.

If that's true, the guy should go NOW. I can't believe he is worried about two homeruns and not worried about keeping his job, because as of now, he should be released.

And this team has to stop sucking with a man on third, for cryin' out loud. Please bring us another bat and end this Jones/Kotsay madness.

Once Teahen returns to third base, we're going to need more runs to make up for his defense.

fox23
07-04-2010, 03:04 AM
Jones is bad. 'Nuff said.

Meantime, the Totally Biased Game Recap (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=3991) is ready for your abuse.

Yeah, I saw him in BP over in Washington and all he did was try and hit 400 foot bombs. At least 50% of his BP swings ended up in a popup into the batting cage.

But hey, he came into spring training in great shape (colorblind sarcasm).

Madscout
07-04-2010, 08:54 AM
This can't be said enough, whoever is our 1b next year has to be able to be as good or better than PK at scooping balls out of the dirt. We have a SS that throws at our 1b not to him.

russ99
07-04-2010, 09:11 AM
Ozzie's such a horrible horrible manager for wanting to give Quentin a day off in the Texas heat.

Cmon guys... Every team has 25 man rosters, the bench guys have to play sometimes.

Besides if Paul even hits a fly ball in the 8th, the ninth inning looks a lot different.

ndgt10
07-04-2010, 10:06 AM
It seems Konerko has been striking out like a madman recently.

Craig Grebeck
07-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Ozzie's such a horrible horrible manager for wanting to give Quentin a day off in the Texas heat.

Cmon guys... Every team has 25 man rosters, the bench guys have to play sometimes.

Besides if Paul even hits a fly ball in the 8th, the ninth inning looks a lot different.
After an off day on Thursday.

Tinker, tinker.

TomBradley72
07-04-2010, 10:49 AM

Jones is hitting .191 over his last 600+ major league AB's (2008-2010), he's washed up and needs to go. I'd take De Aza over him until Teahen comes back.

harwar
07-04-2010, 11:53 AM
When Teahen comes back, Jones is gone.

Nix replaced with Lillibridge (who is now the 5th OF)
Jones replaced with Viciedo
Williams replaced with Threets

Teahen or Kotsay (probably Kotsay due to Teahen's contract) need to be replaced with a legitimate DH...c'mon KW.

this is just about everything i was going to post .. jones is looking very very old lately ..

Dirty30
07-04-2010, 12:01 PM

Texas heat? Really? At game time it was 77 degrees. Texas heat my ass. Ozzie just loves to mess with a good thing. But then again, according to you Ozzie is the greatest thing in this planet. :kukoo:

Craig Grebeck
07-04-2010, 12:04 PM
We continue to use a different lineup every single night, while Big Jim's OPS climbs to .985. Good grief.

JB98
07-04-2010, 12:14 PM

It seems Konerko has been striking out like a madman recently.

Meh...Konerko is 5 for 20 on the road trip, not great but not brutal either. His only strikeout so far in this Texas series happened to come at the worst possible time in the eighth inning last night.

Thing is, this offense is relying an awful lot on Konerko. He and Rios aren't really allowed to fail. When they do, the whole team fails. That's why this club desperately needs another bat.

TomBradley72
07-04-2010, 12:38 PM

Tinker, tinker.

Quentin has a bruised elbow from a HBP Friday night...that was the reason for the night off.

Frater Perdurabo
07-04-2010, 12:54 PM

Texas heat? It was 75 yesterday.

TomBradley72
07-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Texas heat? It was 75 yesterday.

Bruised elbow, not the heat, not Ozzie being an idiot or a tinkerer, etc.

Frater Perdurabo
07-04-2010, 01:28 PM

Given Quentin's HBP elbow I didn't have a problem with Jones in RF; despite his poor hitting he remains an excellent fielder.

I was poking an obvious and necessary hole in the "Texas heat" theory, desperately thrown against the wall by a notorious Ozzpologist.

asindc
07-04-2010, 01:29 PM

You lie!

Craig Grebeck
07-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Still a tinkerer.

Frater Perdurabo
07-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Still a tinkerer.

At least Jerry Manuel admitted he liked to Tinker.

Ozzie plays favorites, judges talent poorly, says stupid things (can't find ABs for Thome), does stupid things, and then tinkers on top of it.

Tragg
07-04-2010, 01:55 PM
And Kenny gives him the guys to make that lineup with. Does Kotsay suck? Yea. You could put Vicideo in there and probably should, but then there is one left handed bat in the lineup. Not ideal. Kotsay is the only left handed bat we have until Teahen gets back.

I certainly think that Kenny bears responsibility for giving in to Guillen's nutty personnel ideas....especially since this has been going on for 4 seasons now.

But make no mistake, this is what Guillen wanted. He publicly stated that signing Kotsay was his #1 goal for the offseason; he said he wanted his DHs to play defense and that he couldn't find enough at bats for Jim Thome.

LoveYourSuit
07-04-2010, 02:42 PM
I certainly think that Kenny bears responsibility for giving in to Guillen's nutty personnel ideas....especially since this has been going on for 4 seasons now.

But make no mistake, this is what Guillen wanted. He publicly stated that signing Kotsay was his #1 goal for the offseason; he said he wanted his DHs to play defense and that he couldn't find enough at bats for Jim Thome.

Yeah, but the last thing you need is for the skipper to get his panties in a bunch because the GM did not get him the players he wanted.

russ99
07-04-2010, 03:20 PM

Tinker, tinker.

The Sox must be glad you're not manager - the same 9 guys all 162 games?

kufram
07-04-2010, 03:45 PM
This can't be said enough, whoever is our 1b next year has to be able to be as good or better than PK at scooping balls out of the dirt. We have a SS that throws at our 1b not to him.

Alexei's throws are vastly improved this year. PK isn't digging anything like as many judging from the games I've seen.

Craig Grebeck
07-04-2010, 03:47 PM
The Sox must be glad you're not manager - the same 9 guys all 162 games?
How about the same guys for five games in a row?

Hitmen77
07-04-2010, 04:47 PM
If we win today, it's a 3-3 road trip and that's acceptable. Yes, we lost 2 of 3 to KC, but the Royals have won 7 of their last 9.

Still, this is yet another game that it's painfully obvious that this team is one bat short. Kotsay and Jones both in the lineup? Ugh. This team can't string together enough hits....and not enough extra base hits....to win enough games to be on top.

Jones needs to be DFA'd. Maybe when Teahen comes back. Still, our lineup is missing a big bat.