PDA

View Full Version : How far out are the buccos?

Madscout
07-03-2010, 03:24 PM
The worst team thread got me thinking about this. How far out are the buccos from having a winning season? My thinking is, they need a #1 and #2, another bullpen arm (2 if dotel is done soon) and another power bat somewhere, and they will compete for the division. But just to get back to .500 in that division next year I think a legit #1 starter will do, like a Roy oswalt or Cliff Lee.

And no, I don't think they will go out and get either of those guys before the deadline or as a free agent.

Jurr
07-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Well, they have good tools. Neil Walker, Tabita, Alvarez, McCutcheon, Jones, and Lincoln are all going to be really good. Can they keep all of those guys signed? If yes, then they're on the right track. Evan Meek is great.

Duke sucks, Maholm is serviceable, and Morton is a headcase. The funny thing about Maholm is that he reminds me of Jon Garland. If he got into a winning rotation, he'd probably catch fire and be lights out. He's got the stuff.

The buccos need pitching in the worst way, and then they can think about legitimacy.

LITTLE NELL
07-03-2010, 08:13 PM
I don't know but after this season it will be 18 straight losing seasons, pretty sad.
Too bad they can't play the Cubs everyday.

Madscout
07-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Well, they have good tools. Neil Walker, Tabita, Alvarez, McCutcheon, Jones, and Lincoln are all going to be really good. Can they keep all of those guys signed? If yes, then they're on the right track. Evan Meek is great.

Duke sucks, Maholm is serviceable, and Morton is a headcase. The funny thing about Maholm is that he reminds me of Jon Garland. If he got into a winning rotation, he'd probably catch fire and be lights out. He's got the stuff.

The buccos need pitching in the worst way, and then they can think about legitimacy.

I agree. But my question is, would a #1 be enough? If they get a #1 that sets their rotation up so much differently. They can take one of thier starters and put him in the pen, or use him in a trade. The worst thing for headcases is to make them perform at a higher level than they can. Garland is great when he is a #4 because he knows he doesn't have to try so hard.

The biggest thing they have going for them is that division.

Foulke You
07-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Well, they have good tools. Neil Walker, Tabita, Alvarez, McCutcheon, Jones, and Lincoln are all going to be really good. Can they keep all of those guys signed? If yes, then they're on the right track.
Keeping those good position players they develop hasn't been their track record. They do have a new ownership group so let's see if anything changes. However, the one constant with the Pirates is that they have no starting pitching. They are going to have to develop their own because they'll have a hard time convincing ace pitchers to sign there unless they overpay which really isn't what the Pirates do.

eastchicagosoxfan
07-04-2010, 04:26 PM
The Cubs were killed again today. They've won one series out of the past ten. The Bucs will pass them in the second half. The fact that they've avoided sweeps keeps them away from the spiral of death. If the Pirates keep some players, why can't they be the NL's version of the Twins?

Craig Grebeck
07-04-2010, 04:28 PM

If all of those guys end up "really good," they'll have a winning record very soon. Unfortunately, I doubt Jones, Walker, and Lincoln do much in the majors.

Daver
07-04-2010, 04:39 PM
If the Pirates keep some players, why can't they be the NL's version of the Twins?

Because, like the White Sox, they are not willing to pay what it costs to scout and develop talent.