PDA

View Full Version : What's the record for most men left on base?

Coops4Aces
07-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Anyone watching the Cubbie game? Innings 1-5, they have left 12 men on base, and the kicker is they haven't scored a single run! That's 2 in the 1st, 2nd and 4th. Bases loaded in the 3rd and 5th!

Seriously, anyone know the record for a 9 inning game?

Brian26
07-03-2010, 03:22 PM
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/recbooks/left_on_base_records.shtml

Looks like the all-time record is 20 by the Yankees in '56. The Braves left 18 on base versus the Mets in '86.

The stat is a bit misleading in that it's not necessarily an illustration of a bad team. It's really just an example of perhaps a team with poor clutch hitting, but, even more, it's an anomaly or day of really bad luck. In order to have that many men on base on a given day, you must have a good hitting team or a very patient team at the plate. To have that many men on base in consecutive innings, you're probably looking at several different batters not-performing in their chance at the plate with runners on base.

TDog
07-03-2010, 04:15 PM
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/recbooks/left_on_base_records.shtml

Looks like the all-time record is 20 by the Yankees in '56. The Braves left 18 on base versus the Mets in '86.

The stat is a bit misleading in that it's not necessarily an illustration of a bad team. It's really just an example of perhaps a team with poor clutch hitting, but, even more, it's an anomaly or day of really bad luck. In order to have that many men on base on a given day, you must have a good hitting team or a very patient team at the plate. To have that many men on base in consecutive innings, you're probably looking at several different batters not-performing in their chance at the plate with runners on base.

The record for a home team leaving men on base in a win with no ninth-inning at bats was 17, and it was done many times, and the Cubs did that today, according to the box score I just called up. I don't know if that's been broken since I was a kid reading the baseball record book in the back seat during long drives.

downstairs
07-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Left on base is a misleading stat.

If a team pounds another team 20-0, I'd bet they'll also leave a ton of men on base.

If you're getting 20, 30 hits in a game... you're eventually going to get three outs while you're piling on the hits and runs.

Oblong
07-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Glad to see people recognize that the LOB is misleading when often used as a negative. If you hit .350 with men on base that's good. BUt it also means 75% of the time when men are on base you leave them there.

Question:

If the first two guys get hits and you have 2nd and 3rd, no out, and the next 3 guys make outs without scoring, is that 6 LOB or 2 LOB for the team? Does each of the 3 batters who made outs get charged with 2 LOB?

Coops4Aces
07-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Glad to see people recognize that the LOB is misleading when often used as a negative. If you hit .350 with men on base that's good. BUt it also means 75% of the time when men are on base you leave them there.

Question:

If the first two guys get hits and you have 2nd and 3rd, no out, and the next 3 guys make outs without scoring, is that 6 LOB or 2 LOB for the team? Does each of the 3 batters who made outs get charged with 2 LOB?

New math? :tongue:

As for your question, each of the 3 batters gets charged with 2 LOB. I would assume it only counts as 2 against the team.

As for my original post, I made a big deal out of the Cubs LOB through 5 innings because they hadn't scored a single run. I guess I should have asked what the record was for a game where the team didn't score.

Brian26
07-06-2010, 08:23 PM
New math? :tongue:

As for your question, each of the 3 batters gets charged with 2 LOB. I would assume it only counts as 2 against the team.

Correct. There's a difference between team LOB and individual LOB. The record the Cubs just broke was for team LOB, which is the number of men LOB at the end of each inning. Usually team LOB is noted at the bottom of the box score.