PDA

View Full Version : Who is the worst team in baseball?

Fenway
07-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Orioles have the worst record but also play in a division where everybody else is above .500

Pirates are my choice but dollar for dollar the Flubbies are by far the biggest trainwreck. YEAR ONE is a disaster.

Friend of mine owns a bar in Lakeview and he couldn't give away FOUR rooftops yesterday (that included free beer)

Seattle is another trainwreck as is Cleveland.

HomeFish
07-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Seattle may be underperforming expectations the most.

Boondock Saint
07-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Seattle may be underperforming expectations the most.

True, but they have had the most bloated expectations of any team this year. Some people loved the flashy moves they made in the offseason, but others wondered how in the hell they planned on winning games without a single legitimate 3-4-5 hitter. They don't have a single hitter with ten HR's yet, their top RBI man is Franklin Gutierrez with 35, Mike Sweeney is their top SLG man with .475 in 30 games played, and Ichiro is their top OPS man with a .809.

eastchicagosoxfan
07-03-2010, 11:01 AM
The Cubs have been sinking gradually, and everytime it looks like the team will simply implode (two series against the Sox) they manage to pull a victory out of their hat. If the Reds sweep this weekend, it'll be the point of no return.

soxinem1
07-03-2010, 11:15 AM
True, but they have had the most bloated expectations of any team this year. Some people loved the flashy moves they made in the offseason, but others wondered how in the hell they planned on winning games without a single legitimate 3-4-5 hitter. They don't have a single hitter with ten HR's yet, their top RBI man is Franklin Gutierrez with 35, Mike Sweeney is their top SLG man with .475 in 30 games played, and Ichiro is their top OPS man with a .809.

+1

I could never figure out why all the 'experts' were so ga-ga over SEA this year. That line up is worse than teams like PIT, ARI, BAL, and even CLE.

But $ for $ CHC is indeed a trainwreck.

Madscout
07-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Orioles have the worst record but also play in a division where everybody else is above .500

Pirates are my choice but dollar for dollar the Flubbies are by far the biggest trainwreck. YEAR ONE is a disaster.

Friend of mine owns a bar in Lakeview and he couldn't give away FOUR rooftops yesterday (that included free beer)

Seattle is another trainwreck as is Cleveland.

Even though we swept them, Pittsburgh is no slouch. They have a lot of good talent in that lineup, and if they get a good performance from one of thier starters, they can shorten the game with DJ, Dotel, and Meeks, the last of which is a future legit closer with electic stuff. I saw a game the other night where they hung tough with Philly to win 2-1.

My vote is for Baltimore. Hopeless on all fronts.

hawkjt
07-03-2010, 11:52 AM
But Seattle can still throw out Lee and King Felix and beat the Yanks in NY in back to back complete games...which puts them a cut above the worse teams,imo.

I say D-Backs...cus they are in the NL. Even the worst of the AL is better than the poor NL teams.

Coops4Aces
07-03-2010, 12:01 PM
I worst played inning I have seen all year was yesterday by the Cubs. I would say they played worse than anyone all year in that 40 minute stretch.

For the season? Give me Houston.

Brian26
07-03-2010, 01:09 PM

He didn't try hard enough. Also, saying he couldn't give away tickets implies that the fans that go actually care about the product on the field. I was in Lakeview this morning, four hours before the game, and it was a circus. That place is going to draw even if the Flubbies come in last place.

Coops4Aces
07-03-2010, 01:14 PM
He didn't try hard enough. Also, saying he couldn't give away tickets implies that the fans that go actually care about the product on the field. I was in Lakeview this morning, four hours before the game, and it was a circus. That place is going to draw even if the Flubbies come in last place.

Do you think that true Cubs fans that care about the team get annoyed by that? It's like the Cubs don't even have to try cause they'll sell out anyways.

LITTLE NELL
07-03-2010, 01:22 PM
How can any team be worse than the Orioles, the reason 4 teams in the East are above .500 is because they get to play the Orioles so much.

I hope things change and the Lovable Losers catch the Orioles as the worst team.

Red Barchetta
07-03-2010, 01:48 PM
The Cubs have been sinking gradually, and everytime it looks like the team will simply implode (two series against the Sox) they manage to pull a victory out of their hat. If the Reds sweep this weekend, it'll be the point of no return.

I really think the next few years are critically strategic for the White Sox in gaining additional Chicago market share. We will begin to see the gradual decline in influence the Tribune Marketing machine had in building up the entire Wrigley Field experience during their tenure owning the Cubs. Similar to before the sale in the late 70s, early 80s, I expect Wrigley to have empty upper decks, etc. as the Cubs continue to lose and lose bad. It won't happen over night however and all it takes for that franchise to draw 3M each year is a somewhat OK season.

TomBradley72
07-03-2010, 02:10 PM
At least no one is as bad as the 1899 Cleveland Spiders!

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CLV/1899.shtml

JB98
07-03-2010, 02:47 PM
I honestly haven't seen Baltimore play a single game yet this year. The Sox haven't played them yet.

I do know the weakest team the Sox have faced this season is Pittsburgh.

You look at Seattle and the Cubs, those are underachieving rosters. I wouldn't want to run into the Mariners if Lee and Hernandez are pitching on back-to-back days. For that reason alone, I think I'd rank Seattle ahead of the Cubs, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Houston, or any other club that has been mentioned here.

Cleveland wasn't very good to start, and they've been weakened by key injuries to some of their best personnel (Sizemore, Cabrera). Makes it all the more frustrating the Sox have squandered a few ballgames against them this year.

october23sp
07-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Orioles
Cubs
Pirates

palehozenychicty
07-03-2010, 04:21 PM
I'd have to say the Orioles. They've had some injuries and underperformance by Jones, Roberts, and Markakis, but the pitching staff is just abominable, both starters and relief.

Tragg
07-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Houston probably is. The Cubs look like they want to quit, so they could earn the prize.

gogosox675
07-05-2010, 11:56 AM
At least the Pirates have dominated the Cubs this year. I don't think you can be the worst team in baseball if you are 10-3 against another team IMO. I would have to vote for the Orioles. However, I probably would have said before the season that the Padres would be one of the worst teams in baseball, so my opinion probably doesn't count for a lot.

DumpJerry
07-05-2010, 12:04 PM
With the likes of Ozzie and Kenny running the show, the White Sox are the worst.

Craig Grebeck
07-05-2010, 12:14 PM
With the likes of Ozzie and Kenny running the show, the White Sox are the worst.
Haha. I get it. Some people disagree with the handling of the designated hitter. Ha. Ha. Ha.

downstairs
07-05-2010, 03:19 PM
I haven't followed every team, but I'll give Pittsburgh the title of worst team thus far over Baltimore. Only because of who Baltimore has to play.

If you switched them up and put them in the other's division, the records would be drastically different. That is to say Pittsburgh would be far, far worse than Baltimore.