PDA

View Full Version : Terry Francona

Fenway
07-03-2010, 06:26 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2010/07/03/francona_manages_a_healthy_outlook/

When he was first hired by Boston in 2004 to replace the disgraced Grady Little I heard from Philly friends saying his name was Francoma.

I think he is one of the most underrated managers in MLB right now. What he is best at is controlling the clubhouse and at least twice has gone to Theo and said 'get rid of him' with Nomar and Manny

He is candid on his weekly radio show on WEEI and does talk to fans.

He stays patient with young players up from Pawtucket most notably with Dustin Pedroia (how did THAT work out)

Boston is a tough place to manage because of intense fan interest and he seems to have complete control. He is the first Boston manager of my lifetime that seems to have the job for life.

I think he deserves consideration for best manager in MLB.

hawkjt
07-03-2010, 07:17 AM
Managers that win world series usually get more rope. Boston has been good ever since Francona arrived. Probably not a total coincidence,altho the 2nd biggest payroll really helps. Being able to grab that third baseman was a nice luxury...if the Sox had him, they would probably be in 1st place.
But, I have to place Francona up there with Ozzie,Gardsy,Leyland,Scosia,and Maddon as the best in the AL.

I remember Phil Rogers writing that Ron Washington of Texas would be gone early in this season due to his cocaine lapse...actually glad to see Phil is wrong again.

As far as the Red Sox go...I got no sympathy for them because of the crazy schedule-makers the Sox do not play them until Sept...then 7 times in that last month and 4 times in Fenway in the last week,and they will be 100% healthy vs the Sox and probably end up taking the Sox out of the race...it is maddening that the schedule-makers seem to always have the Sox playing these contending teams in August and Sept when they are driving to the pennant and play pretenders early when they still have hope and play over their heads....every year!!

DSpivack
07-03-2010, 07:44 AM
Former White Sox minor league manager, too. He was the manager for the Birmingham Barons when Jordan was there.

Fenway
07-03-2010, 09:03 AM
Managers that win world series usually get more rope. Boston has been good ever since Francona arrived. Probably not a total coincidence,altho the 2nd biggest payroll really helps. Being able to grab that third baseman was a nice luxury...if the Sox had him, they would probably be in 1st place.
But, I have to place Francona up there with Ozzie,Gardsy,Leyland,Scosia,and Maddon as the best in the AL.

I remember Phil Rogers writing that Ron Washington of Texas would be gone early in this season due to his cocaine lapse...actually glad to see Phil is wrong again.

As far as the Red Sox go...I got no sympathy for them because of the crazy schedule-makers the Sox do not play them until Sept...then 7 times in that last month and 4 times in Fenway in the last week,and they will be 100% healthy vs the Sox and probably end up taking the Sox out of the race...it is maddening that the schedule-makers seem to always have the Sox playing these contending teams in August and Sept when they are driving to the pennant and play pretenders early when they still have hope and play over their heads....every year!!

Those 4 games in the last week are on 35th St - White Sox are in Boston Labor Day weekend (again)

East vs Central scheduling is whacked - Boston has already been to KC, MINN, CLE and DET so why Chicago the last week??

Boston's last 10 games 3 @NYY 4@CWS and then 3 at Fenway with NYY (Yankees last visit to Fenway was in MAY!!!!)

It sure looks like Bos and NYY will be very close at the end and TB might be too is they don't implode because of Upton.

Way too early to project the WC but it could very well come from the West so...

But those 4 games between the 2 Sox teams in Chicago could be huge for both teams

Tragg
07-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Those 4 games in the last week are on 35th St - White Sox are in Boston Labor Day weekend (again)

East vs Central scheduling is whacked - Boston has already been to KC, MINN, CLE and DET so why Chicago the last week??

Boston's last 10 games 3 @NYY 4@CWS and then 3 at Fenway with NYY (Yankees last visit to Fenway was in MAY!!!!)

It sure looks like Bos and NYY will be very close at the end and TB might be too is they don't implode because of Upton.

Way too early to project the WC but it could very well come from the West so...

But those 4 games between the 2 Sox teams in Chicago could be huge for both teams

For the past several years, the Sox have gotten mostly late, and few, dates with Boston and New York. It's surprised me that JR hasn't objected (assuming he hasn't because I would think if he had it wouldn't be such a trend). We've also gotten long west coast road trips late in the year.
We started getting extra dates with Tampa and Texas right when they got good. But we got a big break in interleague play this year.

Based upon your description, I think Guillen has a lot of similarities with Francona (although Francona is far more "mellow" shall we say)

soxinem1
07-03-2010, 10:22 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2010/07/03/francona_manages_a_healthy_outlook/

When he was first hired by Boston in 2004 to replace the disgraced Grady Little I heard from Philly friends saying his name was Francoma.

I think he is one of the most underrated managers in MLB right now. What he is best at is controlling the clubhouse and at least twice has gone to Theo and said 'get rid of him' with Nomar and Manny

He is candid on his weekly radio show on WEEI and does talk to fans.

He stays patient with young players up from Pawtucket most notably with Dustin Pedroia (how did THAT work out)

Boston is a tough place to manage because of intense fan interest and he seems to have complete control. He is the first Boston manager of my lifetime that seems to have the job for life.

I think he deserves consideration for best manager in MLB.

Not sure why Grady Little is considered disgraced just because of one pitching decision, except of course in the eyes of BOS fans.

While I agree Francona is one of the better managers, he is under-rated in a sense too, mainly because of the reason you stated, that he knows how to break rookies into major roles with success.

He did not have the talent in PHI that he does in Boston, and yes the BoSox can just buy their way into contention, but they have many homegrown stars as well.

He should get credit for this.

SI1020
07-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Not sure why Grady Little is considered disgraced just because of one pitching decision, except of course in the eyes of BOS fans.

While I agree Francona is one of the better managers, he is under-rated in a sense too, mainly because of the reason you stated, that he knows how to break rookies into major roles with success.

He did not have the talent in PHI that he does in Boston, and yes the BoSox can just buy their way into contention, but they have many homegrown stars as well.

He should get credit for this. For this and several other reasons the White Sox would be so lucky to have Francona as their manager.