7/3 LOL

Mark for President

russ99
07-03-2010, 12:25 AM
I'm sleepy. But we won!

Nice win! Keep it going guys. :D:

soxinem1
07-03-2010, 12:26 AM
Better late than not at all. We'll take it.

LoveYourSuit
Biggest win of the year!

GoGoCrede
7/3 LOL

Mark for President

Damn, I glanced at my computer clock and it says 7/3. Forgot when it began.

Pablo_Honey
That should keep the heat off of him...for now :redneck Nice comeback win, thought the offense was gonna keep stranding guys tonight.

october23sp
We win.:bandance:

That win was all sorts of Grindy.

SoxSpeed22
Nice rally. Good baserunning and smallball in the 7th to tie the game and a big hit to win it. Great job by the pen, giving up no runs.

cheezheadsoxfan
That felt good. :bandance:
I hate playing in Texas.

hi im skot
07-03-2010, 12:27 AM
Glad I stayed up for this one.

twinsuck
Awesome win. I love how this team doesn't just roll over and die, like last year's.

KnightSox
Freddie keeps us in another one, Kotsay delivers the blow after the Rangers kept giving us four outs. Good game.

october23sp

I had a feeling, I was going to make a 7/2-7/3 thread.

GoGoCrede
07-03-2010, 12:28 AM
I had a feeling, I was going to make a 7/2-7/3 thread.

Too many keystrokes for me.

This win is huge, considering the Twins and Tigers both won today.

FielderJones
Went through to Texas, yeah Texas, and we had some fun!

:winner

thomas35forever
A tribute to #7 himself:
qVDUYJo3CjU

GoGoCrede
07-03-2010, 12:29 AM
Went through to Texas, yeah Texas, and we had some fun!

Did you meet some gals, some dancers who gave a good time?

And I'm out. Good night, all!

konerko 14
07-03-2010, 12:30 AM
good game, the offense woke up in the second half, Lets win again tomorrow!

Nelfox02
07-03-2010, 12:30 AM
GREAT Job by Big Game tonight----this Tex Team can rake, especially at home........

Kotsay is going to get a lot of credit (deservedly) but what an effort by Big Game and the pen tonight

VERY nice Win

still 2 back.....

Brian26
07-03-2010, 12:31 AM

Fixed. Get some sleep.

Crede24Thome25
07-03-2010, 12:32 AM
Mark ****ing Kotsay finally comes through, Looks like you were right Kufram.

voodoochile
Not the best night defensively, but the Rangers weren't that sharp either and in the end the Sox ability to manufacture a few runs made the difference.

Always nice to see the resident geniuses proven wrong one more time too.

Wasn't pretty, but it was effective. Still one back in the loss column...

:soxwin:

:)

Nellie_Fox
That felt good. :bandance:
I hate playing in Texas.Good thing you don't have to.

A very nice win against a very good team with a very good home record.

DonnieDarko
07-03-2010, 12:35 AM
Wait...Kotsay...wins...a game for us? :o:

Mind = blown

EDIT: on another note, why wasn't Bobby used for the Save?

SoxFan1979
07-03-2010, 12:35 AM

No ... I thought that was appropriate

asindc
07-03-2010, 12:37 AM
Yet another win in which we score at least five runs without hitting a HR, something that did not happen often in 2008.

BoysMom3
Awesome, exciting game - love it!!!

LoveYourSuit
Not the best night defensively, but the Rangers weren't that sharp either and in the end the Sox ability to manufacture a few runs made the difference.

Always nice to see the resident geniuses proven wrong one more time too.

Wasn't pretty, but it was effective. Still one back in the loss column...

Yeah, Cooperstown is already clearing space for the "Kotsay Room."

jcw218
07-03-2010, 12:39 AM
on another note, why wasn't Bobby used for the Save?

Ozzie did not want to use Bobby unless necessary. Just got back from the bereavement list and Ozzie wanted Jenks to get back into the feel of things.

BlackandWhiteSox
07-03-2010, 12:40 AM
When Ozzie uses the right relievers(not Randy, Line(r)brink, or JalaPeņa), I have much more confidence in this team to pull out a win. Thankfully Randy's no longer an option, hopefully Threets doesn't disappoint.

Anyway, good win. Lots of props to Pierre, Rios, Kotsay, Big Game Freddy, and the pen. Take the series much later today boys :smile:

voodoochile
07-03-2010, 12:41 AM
Yeah, Cooperstown is already clearing space for the "Kotsay Room."

Yes and clearly that's what I meant...:rolleyes:

ChicagoG19
07-03-2010, 12:41 AM
Didn't get a chance to watch the game tonight, but very happy to see the final score. :bandance::bandance::bandance:

LoveYourSuit
07-03-2010, 12:43 AM
Yes and clearly that's what I meant...:rolleyes:

I'm just assuming a lot of ball busiting will be done because Kotsay came thru.

Unless people were bitching about something else today, what did I miss?

Tragg
07-03-2010, 12:49 AM
Sox had 14 hits. you should be able to score 5 runs with 14 hits.

Kotsay had the game winning hit. And DeWayne wise had a 3 run triple for the Blue Jays. Erstad and Owens missed some good karma today.

Another stellar night from the pen.

Rohan
07-03-2010, 12:49 AM

Bed time.

DirtySox
07-03-2010, 12:54 AM
Sox had 14 hits. you should be able to score 5 runs with 14 hits.

13 of them were singles. It would have been nice to see more XBH.

october23sp
07-03-2010, 12:56 AM
This is a win we don't get when we were bad.

october23sp
07-03-2010, 12:56 AM
13 of them were singles. It would have been nice to see more XBH.

I don't really care as long as we win.

hawkjt
07-03-2010, 01:05 AM
Freddie pitched his arse off tonite...if PK makes that play, he only gives up the homer to Hamilton. He really got in a groove tonite...made me confident.

14 hits...thatsa nice.
A clutch extra base hit by Kotsay....verdy nice.
Good nite for a lot of guys, Juan,Gordo,Alex,Ramon!..way to go!!

We really needed this game, cus the rest of the weekend could be fubar...now we have avoided a disaster trip.

Foulke You
07-03-2010, 01:07 AM
GREAT Job by Big Game tonight----this Tex Team can rake, especially at home........

Kotsay is going to get a lot of credit (deservedly) but what an effort by Big Game and the pen tonight

VERY nice Win

still 2 back.....
Kotsay, Freddy, and the pen did great. Let's also not forget our team MVP all year Alex Rios for driving in our first two runs. Alex has been "Mr. Dependable" all year in run scoring situations. Honorable mention to Juan Pierre for having a couple hits, a stolen base, and scoring runs.

This was a huge win. Texas is a tough place to play and we gutted it out. I could do without the bazillion stranded runners but I'll take it. I hope it stays humid and cool all weekend long in Arlington. The damp conditions will favor the Sox.

soxinem1
07-03-2010, 01:08 AM
Freddie keeps us in another one, Kotsay delivers the blow after the Rangers kept giving us four outs. Good game.

So far, Freddy has to be the front runner for Comeback Player of the Year.

I know Vlad Guererro has been raking, but Freddy was given up for dead by almost everyone, including me.

jlim
07-03-2010, 01:17 AM
Just got back from the game. Glad to see so many Sox fans in Arlington!

:gulp:

HomeFish
07-03-2010, 01:19 AM
I'm pretty pissed at myself for turning the game off after seeing the ball bounce off Rios's glove. I thought it was over.

Nellie_Fox
07-03-2010, 01:20 AM
I'm pretty pissed at myself for turning the game off after seeing the ball bounce off Rios's glove. I thought it was over.That's what you get for being so damn negative all the time.

Coops4Aces
07-03-2010, 01:28 AM
I'm pretty pissed at myself for turning the game off after seeing the ball bounce off Rios's glove. I thought it was over.

I thought Rios was going to catch that ball, he made one hell of an effort. Oh, and he still need a DH :tongue:

Good team win tonight :thumbsup:

kufram
07-03-2010, 01:29 AM
Mark ****ing Kotsay finally comes through, Looks like you were right Kufram.

Everybody's right at least once in their life! I check the games on my phone through the night and at 6:00-something my time I saw Kotsay up with 2 on and 2 out and thought "come on... be a hero". Big win. I'm not his big fan or anything I just want to see him succeed because he's wearing the WS uniform and he's kept his head up through an awful year.

HomeFish
07-03-2010, 01:32 AM
I thought Rios was going to catch that ball, he made one hell of an effort. Oh, and he still need a DH :tongue:

Yes. Hawk said "there's a base hit" and I got up to turn off the TV. As I was getting up, I saw Rios diving and thought "oh my god, he is going to catch it". But then he didn't.

Dibbs
07-03-2010, 01:56 AM
Awesome win to keep pace. The only logical thing to do is to keep trotting Kotsay out there every game from here on out. I mean he did well for us tonight. That's how it works, right?

Mohoney
07-03-2010, 02:04 AM
So far, Freddy has to be the front runner for Comeback Player of the Year.

I know Vlad Guererro has been raking, but Freddy was given up for dead by almost everyone, including me.

Usually guys don't win that award unless the numbers jump off the page at you, and Freddy's numbers look pedestrian. His overall numbers really sell him short right now for how well he's done this year.

TDog
07-03-2010, 02:33 AM
I followed the early innings but missed the good stuff (the two two-run innings) because I went to see a movie, not because I gave up, though. I would have seen the entire game if not for the delay.

I won't complain about the delay. It had to be cooler starting the game so late. I don't know if that had anything to do with the Sox winning tonight, but a series in Texas can wear a team down. A tough four-game series in Texas at the beginning of August in 1977 pretty much drained that White Sox team of their magic.

The Rangers have been playing great baseball. Beating them in Texas in July with Garcia starting makes for a great win.

The White Sox had more chances to score and wasted a couple of opportunities. But their offense created more opportunities than the Rangers did. Both teams scored two to go ahead in the game on two-out extra-base hits by their designated hitters. (Both DHs went 1-for-4 with two RBIs, although the White Sox DH walked in an additional plate appearance.) The White Sox didn't match the Rangers solo home run, but they brought home two runners from third with outs, and picked up another runner from third with a single.

That's the sort of offense people have been complaining for years that the White Sox haven't had. Now if they mix in some of the home runs that they have hit in the past (and with Rios, Konerko, Quentin and even Ramirez in the lineup on most days, the home runs will come), the offense will draw fewer complaints in this forum.

If the White Sox had scored their runners from third with less than two outs in April -- that is, if everything else stayed the same, but those runs had turned losses into wins --The White Sox would be in first place.

But it starts with the starting pitching. The White Sox are 2-2 on their current roadtrip, and in each game, White Sox starters gave up three runs. That is going to win a lot of games, but only going six will put some strain on the bullpen.

A great win against a very successful team. Saturday would be a good time to keep it up.

pudge
07-03-2010, 03:13 AM

Sweet lord, you are a unique piece of work. Dude, learn to kick back and enjoy the game for what it is. I had nothing going on tonight and it made for a fun evening.

The Immigrant
07-03-2010, 03:43 AM
A bit of insomnia is keeping me up, but at least the game is being replayed on Comcast. Kotsay just hit the 2-run double. :bandance:

LITTLE NELL
07-03-2010, 05:44 AM
I wanted the Sox to go 3-3 on this trip, even though we lost 2 of 3 to KC we still might do it, what the hell lets sweep these guys and make it 4-2.

harwar
07-03-2010, 07:04 AM

I'm pissed at myself also because health wise i go up and down and sometimes i just can't watch but i did hear most of the call on the radio .. the team did just what they had to .. Kotsay getting the winning hit just means that everyone is contributing to the game to help build a WIN .. let's get to Hunter tonight .. a big kid with an average fast ball .. Johnny Danks coming home to pitch ..

balke
07-03-2010, 08:19 AM
Awesome win to keep pace. The only logical thing to do is to keep trotting Kotsay out there every game from here on out. I mean he did well for us tonight. That's how it works, right?

Actually - based on baseball craziness there's a pretty decent chance he could get hot soon. His average is due to go up about 40 points and he's hit over .300 with an .820 OPS for his career in September.

Not a Cooperstown post - but just reality. He's due for a hot streak in a bad way. Seen it happen to PK and Dye in certain years - 2 good months after pitiful seasons to even out stats.

Craig Grebeck
07-03-2010, 08:41 AM
Actually - based on baseball craziness there's a pretty decent chance he could get hot soon. His average is due to go up about 40 points and he's hit over .300 with an .820 OPS for his career in September.

Not a Cooperstown post - but just reality. He's due for a hot streak in a bad way. Seen it happen to PK and Dye in certain years - 2 good months after pitiful seasons to even out stats.
He's been on a hot streak for the last month. Unfortunately, a hot streak for Mark Kotsay isn't very good.

Again, a fine bench player. Nothing more.

Edit: Last 28 days, .288/.371/.444. Still want to see more Viciedo.

kevingrt
07-03-2010, 08:59 AM
What a beautiful late win last night. That was much needed and the rain delay will probably help us out over the rest of the series considering the Rangers got in super late on Thursday night/Friday morning. They will probably be on fumes tonight and tomorrow so we have to take advantage of this.

And there is more rain in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow. I do hope we get these next two games in though. I don't want a make where we have to go to Texas on a random off day in August or September.

Coops4Aces
07-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Yes. Hawk said "there's a base hit" and I got up to turn off the TV. As I was getting up, I saw Rios diving and thought "oh my god, he is going to catch it". But then he didn't.

I try not to listen to Hawk on the play-by-play. I still like him but I think he is losing his depth perception.

Domeshot17
07-03-2010, 10:29 AM
Kotsay with a big hit, good win, imagine what it would be like if that was a normal thing from the DH position, you know, getting a hit, maybe driving in a few runs :tongue:.

TDog
07-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Kotsay with a big hit, good win, imagine what it would be like if that was a normal thing from the DH position, you know, getting a hit, maybe driving in a few runs :tongue:.

Last season, Jim Thome hit .228 from the seventh inning on. That includes not getting any hits in extra innings. It used to be a constant complaint among White Sox fans that he didn't hit after the seventh, that if the game were close and there were runners on base, the opposing manager would bring in a southpaw, and he would go down easily. In 2008, he hit .215 from the seventh on, including a seventh-inning home run that supplied the White Sox offense in Game 163.

As a point of reference, in 2000, Frank Thomas hit .286 from the seventh on, including six hits in 11 extra-inning at bats, but that includes some games at first base.

Coops4Aces
07-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Last season, Jim Thome hit .228 from the seventh inning on. That includes not getting any hits in extra innings. It used to be a constant complaint among White Sox fans that he didn't hit after the seventh, that if the game were close and there were runners on base, the opposing manager would bring in a southpaw, and he would go down easily. In 2008, he hit .215 from the seventh on, including a seventh-inning home run that supplied the White Sox offense in Game 163.

As a point of reference, in 2000, Frank Thomas hit .286 from the seventh on, including six hits in 11 extra-inning at bats, but that includes some games at first base.

No Kotsay stats? No worses, I looked them up. In the 7th inning and on, Kotsay is hitting a hard .130 (7 for 54) with 2 doubles and 3 RBIs, and yes, that includes last night :fail:

Craig Grebeck
07-03-2010, 11:43 AM
No Kotsay stats? No worses, I looked them up. In the 7th inning and on, Kotsay is hitting a hard .130 (7 for 54) with 2 doubles and 3 RBIs, and yes, that includes last night :fail:
Get your nose out of that spreadsheet, geek.

Teal.

voodoochile
07-03-2010, 12:10 PM

But after last night, he's trending upwards...:D:

October26
07-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Just getting a chance to watch the Sox game from last night (thanks to Comcast Replay). Have seen the Kotsay highlight video online and now I get to see it again since the 9th inning of the replay of the game is coming up.

Yes, I am a White Sox junkie and proud of it! :bandance: Oh and I LOVE WSI!

I hope the Sox can play another good game tonight and bring us home a White Sox winner! Go Sox!

JB98
07-03-2010, 01:41 PM
That was a real nice win last night. Down 3-1 in the seventh, on the road, against a team that is playing better than .600 ball for the season. Not an easy situation to be in, but the Sox pulled through.

It seems like the guys are playing with more confidence in close games. They aren't giving up when they're behind either, which was a big gripe of mine last season. I didn't feel the 2009 Sox fought hard for a full nine innings. The group this year seems to have a little more fight in them.

I'm glad Kotsay came through, but like others here, I'm not changing my stance: We need another left-handed stick for the middle of the order.

kufram
07-03-2010, 01:53 PM

True.

We have to play with the hand we've got. If KW pulls a rabbit (left-handed) out of the hat all the better, but if he can't then we don't automatically lose games. The big buts are that the starting pitching has to maintain form, the bullpen has to keep form, the defense has to stay solid, and the hitting has to keep improving. All of these things can happen. We also have to win games when the other team offers them to us like last night.

We've needed a good all around left handed hitter for a very long time. Much as I like Thome he wasn't that and I don't think he would have been a huge difference in our record thus far. But we'll never know... gotta play with what we got and, hopefully, get.

asindc
07-03-2010, 02:06 PM
True.

We have to play with the hand we've got. If KW pulls a rabbit (left-handed) out of the hat all the better, but if he can't then we don't automatically lose games. The big buts are that the starting pitching has to maintain form, the bullpen has to keep form, the defense has to stay solid, and the hitting has to keep improving. All of these things can happen. We also have to win games when the other team offers them to us like last night.

We've needed a good all around left handed hitter for a very long time. Much as I like Thome he wasn't that and I don't think he would have been a huge difference in our record thus far. But we'll never know... gotta play with what we got and, hopefully, get.

I agree with most of your post, especially the part about Thome, but I do think last night is an example of a win that the Sox took from Texas, rather than having it handed to them. Texas really did not do anything to hand us the game, the Sox just put up a strong rally. I agree with JB98's post above in which he says this year's team has more fight in them than last year's. We are still short a solid hitter, but I do like that this year's team can beat teams in a variety of ways, speed, power, defense up the middle, and, of course, pitching.

hawkjt
07-03-2010, 02:20 PM
I hope Kotsay gets on a roll,as he has been hitting the ball harder of late, including that ball he hit in KC that I thought was out that Perez made a great catch on. Last nite he hit another ball hard in the 7th.

My problem is that I keep trying to remember a July pickup that has actually helped us win the division that year. Last year Rios hurt us.
Year before,Junior did not do much. Geoff Blum was ok,but he was not a main guy.

In the meantime we have traded a lot of decent minor leaguers lately and I would hate to see us move Hudson,Viciedo, or Beckham to acquire another aging rental guy that may not pan out.

This whole team has to hit better not just Andruw and Kotsay.

Craig Grebeck
07-03-2010, 02:25 PM
I hope Kotsay gets on a roll,as he has been hitting the ball harder of late, including that ball he hit in KC that I thought was out that Perez made a great catch on. Last nite he hit another ball hard in the 7th.

My problem is that I keep trying to remember a July pickup that has actually helped us win the division that year. Last year Rios hurt us.
Year before,Junior did not do much. Geoff Blum was ok,but he was not a main guy.

In the meantime we have traded a lot of decent minor leaguers lately and I would hate to see us move Hudson,Viciedo, or Beckham to acquire another aging rental guy that may not pan out.

I'm guessing those guys didn't help because a) they were having a terrible season (Rios) or b) they were terrible hitters (Griffey).

doublem23
07-03-2010, 02:34 PM

Well if you're looking at just us, that's kind of misleading because we're rarely in a position to make a serious run at a division title. But in 2000, Charles Johnson was a huge lift. That being said, just because it hasn't worked for so far, doesn't mean it's a bad idea. I'm sure the Phillies were satisfied with their acquisition of Cliff Lee last year, and the Brewers seemed to benefit by getting CC Sabathia in 2008.

Such as....? Richard's having a nice little year for the Padres, but he was never really in the Sox's long-term plans. Ely is having an OK season in Los Angeles, but again, wasn't really a threat to steal playing time from anyone. I guess you can make an argument for Ryan Sweeney, who has been OK for the A's. Most of the rest that we've given up has proved to be crappy filler. The nice thing about having an awful farm system is it's not hard to part with these guys, when they all suck.

That's the biggest hole, though. The Sox are getting horrible production from their DH (http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/batting/split/86/league/al/sort/OPS/order/true). Given their recent upswings, a lot of guys are giving you pretty expected production during these last few weeks. It's nice to think that they can turn it up another notch, but the truth is there's not a lot of firepower in this offense. Rios, Konerko, and, as of late, Quentin, have been doing a nice job but another bat right in the middle of things would really start making this look like an MLB-caliber offense.

TDog
07-03-2010, 02:57 PM

I didn't look up Kotsay's stats because they haven't come exclusively as a DH. The point was that big hits. And people complained about Thome not being there in the late innings last year, and they would be complaining about how he doesn't hit in the late inning this year. Of course, stats don't tell you if the hits came, whether the opposing team had their shut-down relievers in the game to hold the lead or a tie or whether the other team had, in the extreme, sent in a position player to save the bullpen in a blowout loss.

In the late-and-close stat, which would seem to apply to last night's big hit, Kotsay has four hits in 28 at bats (.143), the one double and two RBIs last night. It was Kotsay's first game-winning RBI game of the season. I don't know how many of the previous games he came in close and late were games he was playing first or pinch-hitting. He has walked five times in such situations, but I don't know how many times he was leading off an inning or being pitched around, which does happen. He even has late and close intentional walk.

Thome also has 28 late-and-close at buts, but only 3 hits for a .107 average. He has seven walks though, one of which was intentional. He has just one RBI. I don't know if it won a game. One of his hits went for extra bases. I believe t(although I don't have time to go back and look at the box score) that was the double against the White Sox that ended the April 11 loss to the White Sox because J.J. Hardy was thrown out at the plate trying to tie the game. He was pinch-hitting for starting DH Brendan Harris, because the Twins only use professional designated hitters.

The fact is that if you want to complain that Kotsay doesn't get enough big hits late in games like a professional DH would, you might consider that late and close, Kotsay and Thome have almost the same stats, although Thome has two more walks and seven more strikeouts. I have no idea how many of the 13 times Thome made outs hitting the ball or 19 times Kotsay made outs hitting the ball they were robbed of hits or hit bullets at people. Stats only tell you so much.

Celebrate last night's win. Don't use it as an excuse to rip the guy who got the big hit because he hasn't done it more often.

kufram
07-03-2010, 02:58 PM
I agree with most of your post, especially the part about Thome, but I do think last night is an example of a win that the Sox took from Texas, rather than having it handed to them. Texas really did not do anything to hand us the game, the Sox just put up a strong rally. I agree with JB98's post above in which he says this year's team has more fight in them than last year's. We are still short a solid hitter, but I do like that this year's team can beat teams in a variety of ways, speed, power, defense up the middle, and, of course, pitching.

You are right Texas didn't hand it to us.... poor choice of words, but if the DP is turned on PK (not many are not) I don't know if we win from there. We were handed an extra opportunity and seized it. This team has some headroom to improve even more than they have in June and the most important improvement has been in not giving up. I love late rallys but they make for some anxious moments.

SOXSINCE'70
07-03-2010, 03:04 PM
Just got back from the game. Glad to see so many Sox fans in Arlington!

:gulp:

Hope the rain holds up and they can play at a decent hour tonight.
I've got to be at work at 7:30 tomorrow morning.
Yeah,I know, WAH!:violin:

pudge
07-03-2010, 04:18 PM

There was a double play that easily should have been made that set up the rally, so I can see the argument that it was a game handed over. Of course we made two errors, so we almost handed it over.