PDA

View Full Version : Bet on your Team: You can buy the right to buy playoff tickets NOW

WhiteSoxFTW
07-02-2010, 10:00 AM
http://deadspin.com/5578285/last-nights-winner-officially-sanctioned-baseball-betting

WhiteSoxFTW
07-02-2010, 10:05 AM
For $10, you get a guaranteed chance to buy tickets at face value for the ALDS/NLDS.

illinibk
07-02-2010, 10:26 AM
I did something like this for the Rose Bowl a few years ago. IIRC, it was something like $5/ticket. And depending on the market for the right to buy tickets, you could resell your right for more or less than $5/ticket. When Illinois ended up making the Rose Bowl, I exercised my right to buy the tickets at face. And the tickets weren't in a great location. That's where I think the author of this article is wrong. The $350 seats will long be sold out; this has to be a reservation for the top 10 rows of the upper deck in the right or left field corners.

doublem23
07-02-2010, 10:33 AM
I did something like this for the Rose Bowl a few years ago. IIRC, it was something like $5/ticket. And depending on the market for the right to buy tickets, you could resell your right for more or less than $5/ticket. When Illinois ended up making the Rose Bowl, I exercised my right to buy the tickets at face. And the tickets weren't in a great location. That's where I think the author of this article is wrong. The $350 seats will long be sold out; this has to be a reservation for the top 10 rows of the upper deck in the right or left field corners.

It's just a reservation to buy tickets when they go on sale, it's not like the $10 you put down gets you a ticket if your team makes the postseason.

illinibk
07-02-2010, 12:06 PM
It's just a reservation to buy tickets when they go on sale, it's not like the $10 you put down gets you a ticket if your team makes the postseason.
Correct, the $10 doesn't go towards the cost of the ticket, it just gets you to the front of the line, so to speak, for the worst tickets in the stadium.

doublem23
07-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Correct, the $10 doesn't go towards the cost of the ticket, it just gets you to the front of the line, so to speak, for the worst tickets in the stadium.

I haven't seen anything where it explicitly states you get the worst seats in the stadium, you just get the chance to buy postseason tickets, probably between season ticket holders and the rest of us slobs.

illinibk
07-02-2010, 12:43 PM
I haven't seen anything where it explicitly states you get the worst seats in the stadium, you just get the chance to buy postseason tickets, probably between season ticket holders and the rest of us slobs.
I haven't either, I'm just going off my personal experience with that outfit when I bought Rose Bowl tickets. The seats weren't the worst in the house, but sitting in the middle of a bunch of USC "fans" sure made it seem that way.

ewokpelts
07-02-2010, 04:35 PM
$80 a person i fthe sox go all the way to teh world series to secure playoff tix? not a bad deal.

if they dont make the playoffs? ouch

downstairs
07-02-2010, 04:47 PM
There was a website (not MLB affiliated) that did this. Maybe they still do. Did most all sports.

Its how I ended up with tickets to all but one Sox playoff home game in 2005. (And that one was the loss to LA!)

As well, I had Bears Superbowl tickets, but I sold them at a healthy profit before the NFC championship (I'd rather have the money than try to fly to Miami.)

cws05champ
07-02-2010, 11:18 PM
There was a website (not MLB affiliated) that did this. Maybe they still do. Did most all sports.

Its how I ended up with tickets to all but one Sox playoff home game in 2005. (And that one was the loss to LA!)

As well, I had Bears Superbowl tickets, but I sold them at a healthy profit before the NFC championship (I'd rather have the money than try to fly to Miami.)
It was ticketreserve.com, now firstdibz.com ...they did it for all major sports, but they ripped off a bunch of people including me and were continuing to take in money when they were not releasing any seats to people when they had the reservations.

ewokpelts
07-07-2010, 09:47 AM

As well, I had Bears Superbowl tickets, but I sold them at a healthy profit before the NFC championship (I'd rather have the money than try to fly to Miami.)same company is attached to this venture.