PDA

View Full Version : How can Konerko not be an All-Star?

MattSharp
06-22-2002, 10:08 PM
I mean right now, I would consider him a canidate for MVP. He should be the number one backup for 1B. 2 more HRs, I love this guy.....

MarkEdward
06-22-2002, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
I mean right now, I would consider him a canidate for MVP. He should be the number one backup for 1B. 2 more HRs, I love this guy.....

In all honesty, Konerko still may not make it. Giambi, Sweeney, and Olerud are all having better seasons than PK, Delgado arguably having a better season. Giambi is a lock. Sweeney is in as the Royals' rep. Delgado may get in as the Blue Jays' rep. It will come down to Torre picking either Konerko or Olerud.

MattSharp
06-22-2002, 10:27 PM
Sweeney should make it cause he is hitting .352, that and doubles are about the only thing better than PK. Olerud's only has more doubles, and the same is said for Delgado.

Konerko is 3rd in the AL in average and leading in RBI, not to mention he has 16 HRs. If he keeps up this hot streak there is no one but Giambi that is as deserving....

PS - I am also from Oak Forest

RKMeibalane
06-22-2002, 10:31 PM
Konerko definitely deserves to make the All Star team, especially after what he has done over the past 10-12 games. However, I feel compelled to point out that Joe Torre has screwed the White Sox before when it comes to selecting first baseman. I can remember how upset everyone was when he did not pick Frank Thomas in 2000. His excuse was that Frank hadn't played first base as often as he had DH'd. The difference this time is that Torre doesn't have that to use as an excuse.

MarkEdward
06-23-2002, 12:41 AM
PS - I am also from Oak Forest

That's cool. It's a pretty boring town. Orland Park rocks, though.

MattSharp
06-23-2002, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward

That's cool. It's a pretty boring town. Orland Park rocks, though.

Oak Forest has nothing. Orland is ok, but the problem with this area is there is nothing to go after like 1030. There are like 3 non-bars open past 11 or 1130 and all you can do is drive around. It sucks.

Soxheads
06-23-2002, 03:01 AM

Oak Forest has nothing. Orland is ok, but the problem with this area is there is nothing to go after like 1030. There are like 3 non-bars open past 11 or 1130 and all you can do is drive around. It sucks.

Hmmm, what does this have to do with anything? :)

MattSharp
06-23-2002, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by Soxheads

Hmmm, what does this have to do with anything? :)

I noticed earlier in this thread that he is from the same town as me. Chances arel, the only two people here that are fomr Oak Forest, so I just threw that in and we got off topic.

Soxheads
06-23-2002, 03:07 AM

I noticed earlier in this thread that he is from the same town as me. Chances arel, the only two people here that are fomr Oak Forest, so I just threw that in and we got off topic.

This message board must set some type of record for getting off topic so quickly.

BTW-I am from Oelwein! :D:

dougs78
06-23-2002, 09:50 AM
BAck to the original subject....

There is no way in the world PK is not an all-star. We are talking about a guy who is 3rd in batting, 8th in HR's and 1st in RBI in the league. I don't care who you are or what position you play, if you do that you are an all-star, no questions asked.

WinningUgly!
06-23-2002, 10:25 AM

Giambi, Sweeney, and Olerud are all having better seasons than PK, Delgado arguably having a better season.

Huh-What?

P L A Y E R / BA / HR / RBI
M.Sweeney /.352/ 10 / 35
P. Konerko /.325/ 16 / 62
Ja. Giambi /.312/ 19 / 59
J. Olerud /.302/ 11 / 51
Delgado /.253/ 15 / 49

What exactly are you basing this on? Giambi is the only guy with even comparable numbers to Pauly! Saying that Delgado is having an "arguably better season" than Konerko is arguably nuts!

OfficerKarkovice
06-23-2002, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Soxheads

BTW-I am from Oelwein! :D:

That's unfortunate

TheBigHurt
06-23-2002, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

Huh-What?

M.Sweeney /.352/ 10 / 35
J. Olerud /.302/ 11 / 51
Delgado /.253/ 15 / 49

What exactly are you basing this on? Giambi is the only guy with even comparable numbers to Pauly! Saying that Delgado is having an "arguably better season" than Konerko is arguably nuts!

the stats im looking at says Olerud has 11 hr's and 40 rbi's and a 304 avg. I guess there wrong???

FanOf14
06-23-2002, 01:09 PM
PK definitely deserves to be there but with the lack of recognition in Chicago by media types, (this might have to do with why he wasn't on the ballot - either that or they are just boneheads at mlb...okay, maybe both). Heck, we have fans on this board and that other WhiteSox board that still downplay what he has done so far (more on the other board than here).

But anyways, his numbers speak for themselves, but I am still willing to bet that only one player from the Sox make it and it won't be him. I know MLB is sort of pushing for Torre to take him (see article that was on mlb.com), but I think that is purely because they want to cover their ass. PK desevers it not because MLB wants to make up for mistaakes, but because he deserves it.

MarkEdward
06-23-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

Huh-What?

M.Sweeney /.352/ 10 / 35
J. Olerud /.302/ 11 / 51
Delgado /.253/ 15 / 49

Well, I used VORP because it's a quick way to show the offensive leaders at a given position (like first base). How about OPS:

Sweeney- .960
Konerko- .915
Giambi- 1.019
Olerud- .932
Delgado- .903

To conclude, I do think Konerko should make it over Delgado, and maybe Olerud. In fact, Delgado probably won't make it. Hinske should be the Blue Jays' rep.

OfficerKarkovice
06-23-2002, 01:32 PM
In fact, Delgado probably won't make it. Hinske should be the Blue Jays' rep.

Roy Halladay at 8-3 with a 3.11 ERA might have something to say about that.

FanOf14
06-23-2002, 01:34 PM
How in the world can Olerud have a better VORP when all the listed offensive numbers show he is not as good? I guess I just don't understand what a VORP is.