PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone see the horrible blown call in the twins game today?

whitesox4eva
07-02-2010, 05:02 AM
I know the run didn't come around to score but it is just absolutely shocking how easy of a call that would have been to make but he (the rays catcher I think) was called safe. :o: I'll just let you guys take a look at the video.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=9567843&topic_id=11493214

hawkjt
07-02-2010, 08:08 AM
The ump, Marquez, was clearly fooled by Shopach,who did a great job of acting. Like something AJ might do. As Red Kerr would say, early ripe,early rotten...nobody scored despite this bad call.

DumpJerry
07-02-2010, 08:26 AM
The ump, Marquez, was clearly fooled by Shopach,who did a great job of acting. Like something AJ might do. As Red Kerr would say, early ripe,early rotten...nobody scored despite this bad call.
Yup. Did not change the outcome since it would have been the first out of the 10th and a run did score on the play. The Twins did not score in the bottom of the 10th.

Here is what I have to say to Twins' fans who want to whine about the call:
:violin:

mmmmmbeeer
07-02-2010, 09:03 AM
Yeah, I was watching this last night and, after watching the replay, Cuddyer needs to be sure to tag a runner, not barely brush up against the jersey leaving a bit of ambiguity. I don't think Shoppach was acting as much as he was surprised that he didn't feel a tag.

I don't know, maybe it's my anti-Twin bias, but I don't think that was as much a blown call as it was a blown "tag".

TomBradley72
07-02-2010, 10:42 AM
I think that's one of the worst calls I've ever witnessed. He clearly tags him, you'd have to be incredibly biased against the Twins to not recognize that.

doublem23
07-02-2010, 11:01 AM
I think that's one of the worst calls I've ever witnessed. He clearly tags him, you'd have to be incredibly biased against the Twins to not recognize that.

Seriously how could that ump have missed that call? That's insane. HE WAS RIGHT THERE.

I can see the argument that Cuddyer didn't help himself out with a light tag... But still... That's terrible.

Coops4Aces
07-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Wait, are people seriously blaming Cuddyer? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Another horrific call by the umpires. Are they getting worse and worse everyday or what? Chalk up another argument for replay.

Oh, and who cares if a run scored because of this or not, it has nothing to do with it. That line of thinking is ridiculous. I have a friend who, when I question why we don't have replay on stuff like that, fires back that it probably didn't affect the result of the game. What the **** kind of thinking is that?

Chez
07-02-2010, 11:30 AM
I thought it was interesting that Cuddyer didn't protest the call -- at least in the replays I saw.

DumpJerry
07-02-2010, 12:53 PM
This is the ump who left the Sox/Royals' game early the other day with chest pains and spent the night in the hospital.

I was at a game in the HumpDome in 1984 when they were playing the Tigers. In the 10th with the score tied, Chet Lemon hit a single with Kirk Gibson on Second. Gibson was sent home and the throw got to Twins' Catcher Engle while Gibson was halfway between Third and Home. The Ump (Vic Voltaggio) watched the collision between Engle and Gibson about 10 feet before the Plate. Watched Gibson keep running and miss the Plate. Watched Engle tag Gibson on the arm with the ball in his bare arm. Watched Gibson two seconds after being tagged step on the Plate. Called Gibson safe.

Now, in all fairness to the Ump that night, I was sitting in the upper deck of Right/Center Field and the Ump was, oh, three feet from the action with nothing obscuring his view, so maybe I got it wrong. The kept showing the replay on the scoreboard and it looked like how I saw it, but, then again, the Ump had a different view. Voltaggio's crew went to the post season that year without him.

The blown play I saw was a game changer, unlike the one last night. Had the Ump gotten that one right, it would have been score tied, two out and Lemon on Second. Instead, it gave the Tigers the chance to score Lemon (he did). The Twins led off the bottom of the 10th with a home run which would have either tied or won the game. Of course, 1984 was a special year (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/DET/1984-schedule-scores.shtml) for the Tigers (18-2 in April, 19-7 in May and won that World Series thingy).

SI1020
07-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Yeah, I was watching this last night and, after watching the replay, Cuddyer needs to be sure to tag a runner, not barely brush up against the jersey leaving a bit of ambiguity. I don't think Shoppach was acting as much as he was surprised that he didn't feel a tag.

I don't know, maybe it's my anti-Twin bias, but I don't think that was as much a blown call as it was a blown "tag". That's ridiculous. Did you want him to punch the runner to the ground with his tag? That is one of the worst blown calls I have ever seen. How can you possibly call the runner safe?

hawkjt
07-02-2010, 01:20 PM
I do think could happen is that the Cuddyers will start slapping hard tags on guys like Shopach and hard feelings could be created....I suspect that Cuddyer will be more aggresive in the future.

Also, I do think that Cuddyer was not totaly sure he did make solid tag,or he would have gone nuts.

TommyJohn
07-02-2010, 05:06 PM
This is the ump who left the Sox/Royals' game early the other day with chest pains and spent the night in the hospital.

I was at a game in the HumpDome in 1984 when they were playing the Tigers. In the 10th with the score tied, Chet Lemon hit a single with Kirk Gibson on Second. Gibson was sent home and the throw got to Twins' Catcher Engle while Gibson was halfway between Third and Home. The Ump (Vic Voltaggio) watched the collision between Engle and Gibson about 10 feet before the Plate. Watched Gibson keep running and miss the Plate. Watched Engle tag Gibson on the arm with the ball in his bare arm. Watched Gibson two seconds after being tagged step on the Plate. Called Gibson safe.

Now, in all fairness to the Ump that night, I was sitting in the upper deck of Right/Center Field and the Ump was, oh, three feet from the action with nothing obscuring his view, so maybe I got it wrong. The kept showing the replay on the scoreboard and it looked like how I saw it, but, then again, the Ump had a different view. Voltaggio's crew went to the post season that year without him.

The blown play I saw was a game changer, unlike the one last night. Had the Ump gotten that one right, it would have been score tied, two out and Lemon on Second. Instead, it gave the Tigers the chance to score Lemon (he did). The Twins led off the bottom of the 10th with a home run which would have either tied or won the game. Of course, 1984 was a special year (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/DET/1984-schedule-scores.shtml) for the Tigers (18-2 in April, 19-7 in May and won that World Series thingy).

Maybe the ump was pissing his pants in fear that Psycho Gibson would kill him if he called him out.

And that was 1984-the same year that Timmy Devil (Teufel) hit a base hit that sprang over Harold Baines' head for a game-winning inside-the-park home run. So I wasn't feeling sorry for the Twinsies as I was reading the post. I say good.

DumpJerry
07-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Maybe the ump was pissing his pants in fear that Psycho Gibson would kill him if he called him out.

And that was 1984-the same year that Timmy Devil (Teufel) hit a base hit that sprang over Harold Baines' head for a game-winning inside-the-park home run. So I wasn't feeling sorry for the Twinsies as I was reading the post. I say good.
If the Twins won that game, they would have been tied for first. Poor babies.....:D:

mmmmmbeeer
07-02-2010, 07:55 PM
That's ridiculous. Did you want him to punch the runner to the ground with his tag? That is one of the worst blown calls I have ever seen. How can you possibly call the runner safe?

Shoppach, on a play he was obviously dead in the water, immediately looked at the ump claiming no tag....because he didn't feel a tag.

Cuddyer didn't argue the call because he didn't feel the tag either.

I'm not saying punch the guy...I'm saying if you're going to tag a runner in a situation like that you better make damn sure you do more than barely graze his jersey, atleast make contact with his body.

Coops4Aces
07-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Shoppach, on a play he was obviously dead in the water, immediately looked at the ump claiming no tag....because he didn't feel a tag.

I'm not saying punch the guy...I'm saying if you're going to tag a runner in a situation like that you better make damn sure you do more than barely graze his jersey, atleast make contact with his body.

I can't believe you're blaming Cuddyer when the umpire is incompetent.

SI1020
07-02-2010, 08:39 PM
So I wasn't feeling sorry for the Twinsies as I was reading the post. I say good. When umpiring is that bad it's not good for anyone. If a call like that had gone against the Sox this place would light up like a Christmas tree.

SI1020
07-02-2010, 08:40 PM

I'm not saying punch the guy...I'm saying if you're going to tag a runner in a situation like that you better make damn sure you do more than barely graze his jersey, atleast make contact with his body. How do you know he didn't feel a tag? Maybe he was playing the ump. He got tagged. I don't know what else to say.