PDA

View Full Version : Rangers Acquire Bengie Molina

KMcMahon817
07-01-2010, 05:06 PM
In exchange for RP Chris Ray and a PTBNL, supposedly minor leaguer Michael Main.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/06/rangers-giants-discussing-bengie-molina-trade.html

eriqjaffe
07-01-2010, 05:18 PM
So I guess this means we're not trading AJ?

SOXSINCE'70
07-01-2010, 06:08 PM
So I guess this means we're not trading AJ?

Sherm Lollar will be his backup after Castro gets traded.:D:

Brian26
07-01-2010, 07:42 PM
I wonder if this was to clear space for the Giants to play Buster Posey exclusively at catcher now?

I have Molina in my fantasy league...hope he doesn't lost any playing time.

Marqhead
07-01-2010, 07:55 PM
I wonder if this was to clear space for the Giants to play Buster Posey exclusively at catcher now?

I'd suspect Posey will now be almost exclusively at catcher with Huff going back to taking on full time 1B duties.

Texas' catching situation is a mess, Molina should get the bulk of the time and it'll probably help his stats playing in their lineup, though he wont be batting in the middle of the order like he was out in SF.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
07-01-2010, 08:20 PM

He's on mine too, and it seemed like he was only getting about 3 starts a week once Posey came on. I had to get another catcher because I was losing a lot of offense on Molina's off days.

If anything, he should be seeing more playing time once he gets to Texas

TDog
07-02-2010, 12:08 AM

You now have the slowest player in the American League. I don't know who now can claim the title of slowest player in the National League. Anyone who believes Paul Konerko is slow needs to watch Bengie Molina play baseball to see what slow is.

About a week ago, Giants announcer Mike Krukow was talking about it being time for Molina to take on a backup/mentoring role to Whiteside and Posey. Molina has been having a lot of trouble this year blocking balls in the dirt. Last year and the year before that, he was the Giants cleanup hitter, and really, it speaks well of the improvement in the Giants offense that Molina hasn't been hitting cleanup this year, although the lineup has been shaken up a couple of times in reaction to team hitting slumps. Juan Uribe doesn't strike me as a fearsome cleanup hitter either, but Sandoval, Sanchez and Huff can be good hitters. Posey was hitting very well when he first came up, but it looks like the pitchers have adjusted to him and he has yet to make the necessary critical adjustments.

I am guessing that Whiteside and Posey will split the catching duties. Posey caught Bumgarner tonight, but Posey was catching Bumgarner in Fresno not long ago. I expect Whiteside, who has been hitting well this season, will split time with Posey, with Huff moving between right and first.

The big winner in this could be Schierholtz, who hasn't been getting much playing time this year. He has an accurate cannon for an arm and great range in right, a big deal at AT&T Park, and I think he could develop into an exceptional hitter if he gets consistent playing time. The Giants need Huff's bat, especially with Sandoval struggling this year. Whether Posey starts at catcher or first could depend on whether Bruce Bochy wants Whiteside's right-handed bat or Shierholtz's left-handed bat in the lineup.