PDA

View Full Version : 20 Years Ago Today (Andy Hawkins)

Hitmen77
07-01-2010, 09:06 AM
Twenty years ago today, Yankees pitcher Andy Hawkins "no hit" the White Sox. The problem for him and the Yankees is that the Sox won the game 4-0.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=199007010CHA

That was a wild 8th inning in that game. Since Hawkins only pitched 8 innings as the victorious Sox didn't have to bat in the bottom of the 9th, MLB took away his official no-hitter status a few years later.

That 1990 White Sox team was great. After finishing in last place in 1989, they won 94 games. What a shame they finished 10 games behind the 104-win Oakland A's. That year, the AL East winner Boston had 7 fewer wins than the White Sox.

TomBradley72
07-01-2010, 09:17 AM
I was there....an amazing day...we just kep screaming "We won a no hitter, we won a no hitter".

1990 was my favorite White Sox season excluding 2005 and 1983.

tebman
07-01-2010, 09:50 AM
I saw that game on TV that day and I'll never forget hearing the description as the bases-loaded fly ball was missed in left field. After the game Hawkins was interviewed because he had pitched a no-hitter and he was clearly not in a good mood.

A wild game.

Bobby Thigpen
07-01-2010, 11:57 AM
I remember watching this game as well. Don't remember a lot of particulars, but remember the outcome and me and my dad laughing about it.

1990 was maybe my favorite team. Even over the 2005 team. It's the one that made me a fan. Plus I watched 2/3 of the season with my dad on TV. Some great memories of watching games with him.

This thread title also makes me feel super old.

LongLiveFisk
07-01-2010, 12:02 PM
So hard to believe that was actually 20 years ago. I also watched on tv and knew that would be a game I would never forget. And I also loved that 1990 team. They could have done some damage in the playoffs if not for being stuck in the old playoff scheme of AL West winner vs. AL East winner. As I recall, the Sox played very well against Oakland but unfortunately no one else did.

Chez
07-01-2010, 12:10 PM
I remember watching that game on television. 1990 was a great season -- the team far exceeded everyone's expectations.

jdm2662
07-01-2010, 12:30 PM
So hard to believe that was actually 20 years ago. I also watched on tv and knew that would be a game I would never forget. And I also loved that 1990 team. They could have done some damage in the playoffs if not for being stuck in the old playoff scheme of AL West winner vs. AL East winner. As I recall, the Sox played very well against Oakland but unfortunately no one else did.

The Sox went 8-5 against Oakland that year. No other team had a winning record against Oakland that season. The Sox also took the season series of every team in their division. Are you listenting 2010 Sox? Winning division games does wonders.

The Sox made it clear in the last series against Boston, games Boston needed to win the division, the Sox wanted to ruin their season. Boston didn't give them any favors by getting their ass kicked by Oakland.

DumpJerry
07-01-2010, 12:51 PM
I was there. Crazy afternoon on the field.

After the Sox finally got hit with their third out, Hawkins was walking to the dugout when everyone realized that if the Yanks did not score at least four runs in the top of the 9th (the Yanks averaged four runs a month that year-they were that bad), this guy had a no-no and we all got up to give him a standing ovation. He acknowledged the tribute with a wave, but his body language was "I'm going to go Zambrano on my team."

IIRC, his next outing was against the Twins. He went 10 innings and lost 1-0.:(: I was convinced the Yankee players were trying to give Steinbrenner the Big One that year with the craptacular play (they finished dead last in the entire AL with a 67-95 record. Only the Braves at 65-97 were worse in MLB).

In hindsight, I was not surprised. This was Comiskey's last birthday, so the Sox had to win. It was also the Yankees' last game ever at Comiskey (barring a miracle run to take the division), so they had to have something positive happen given the history of the franchise. A deal was cut in Baseball Heaven.

Bobby Thigpen
07-01-2010, 01:14 PM
The Sox went 8-5 against Oakland that year. No other team had a winning record against Oakland that season. The Sox also took the season series of every team in their division. Are you listenting 2010 Sox? Winning division games does wonders.
Ya. It can get you second place.

:cool:

soxinem1
07-01-2010, 01:30 PM

The Sox made it clear in the last series against Boston, games Boston needed to win the division, the Sox wanted to ruin their season. Boston didn't give them any favors by getting their ass kicked by Oakland.

After the Hawkins game the White Sox were actually in First Place.

Then there was a 2-3 week stretch shortly afterward that OAK won seemingly every time the White Sox lost.

We also lost a couple toughies at home to the A's, one that was a comfortable lead blown in the late innings followed by a rain-delayed game that saw us get clobbered early.

jdm2662
07-01-2010, 02:12 PM
After the Hawkins game the White Sox were actually in First Place.

Then there was a 2-3 week stretch shortly afterward that OAK won seemingly every time the White Sox lost.

We also lost a couple toughies at home to the A's, one that was a comfortable lead blown in the late innings followed by a rain-delayed game that saw us get clobbered early.

Wasn't that rain delayed game the one where Canseco fell on his ass chasing a ball in RF? I seem to remember McDowell pitching a CG and the Sox won 11-1. That was in August right before school started.

PaleHoser
07-01-2010, 02:54 PM
The Sox went 8-5 against Oakland that year. No other team had a winning record against Oakland that season..

IIRC, the Yankees finished 0-13 against the A's in 1990. Yet another reason to hate the Yankees.

Greg Hibbard didn't give up a hit until the 6th or 7th inning, so it was a double no-hitter for much of the game.

This was also the weekend where Jim Leyritz admitted to using amphetimines (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2476681) before a game for the first time. They didn't help him in left field on Ventura's fly ball.

Hitmen77
07-01-2010, 03:16 PM
I never realized until now that the Hawkins no-hitter game happen on Comiskey Park's 80th (and final) anniversary.

eastchicagosoxfan
07-01-2010, 06:42 PM
I was there. It was sort of surreal.

Brian26
07-01-2010, 07:45 PM

That Oakland team was stacked. If only the Sox played in the AL East that year.

Brian26
07-01-2010, 07:48 PM
I saw that game on TV that day and I'll never forget hearing the description as the bases-loaded fly ball was missed in left field.

I think it was Leyritz that dropped the ball. A lot of people forget that Jesse Barfield made a similar error on the next play in rightfield....losing the ball in the sun.

Hawk's call, from my memory, on the ball hit to left by Ventura...

:hawk
"He drops the ball! He drops the ball! Everybody's gonna score, and the Sox lead it three-to-nothing! YES!"

LongLiveFisk
07-01-2010, 07:50 PM

Yeah, I remember a lot of people wearing those "Oakland sucks" shirts, featuring Bart Simpson in a Sox jersey. :tongue:

Railsplitter
07-01-2010, 08:00 PM
One of the more bizzare wins in Sox history!:bandance:

Footnote: I was at the game the night before. The Sox had 14 hits and lost 10-7. Surreal.

Woofer
07-01-2010, 10:15 PM
I was there. It was the last time I was at the old park. IIRC, it was a fireworks night. I still have my ticket stub. Time really flies. I was a young dude of 20, now I'm a middle aged dude at 40. Sigh.

RadioheadRocks
07-01-2010, 11:20 PM
Everyone I knew from our section above the Sox bullpen was there for that game, meanwhile I was working at Osco listening to the game on the radio in the beer cooler in total (but happy) disbelief!

pudge
07-02-2010, 12:56 AM
1990 was my favorite White Sox season excluding 2005 and 1983.

I was too young in 1983... 1990 was my favorite team. That was simply the greatest season, with Jack McDowell shutting down the A's after Dave Stewart said he couldn't hold his jock. If only they had the wild card back then...

JB98
07-02-2010, 01:15 AM
Yeah, I remember a lot of people wearing those "Oakland sucks" shirts, featuring Bart Simpson in a Sox jersey. :tongue:

I had one of those. Of course, I was 14 at the time.

RadioheadRocks
07-02-2010, 01:18 AM
And here it is 20 years later, and that box score STILL reads the White Sox got 4 runs on NO hits, despite that stupid ruling by fuddy-duddy Fay Vincent negating "incomplete" no-hitters.

Asshat. It sure wasn't Hawkins' fault that the White Sox didn't have to bat in the bottom of the 9th.

samurai_sox
07-02-2010, 03:04 AM
I was there. Crazy afternoon on the field.

After the Sox finally got hit with their third out, Hawkins was walking to the dugout when everyone realized that if the Yanks did not score at least four runs in the top of the 9th (the Yanks averaged four runs a month that year-they were that bad), this guy had a no-no and we all got up to give him a standing ovation. He acknowledged the tribute with a wave, but his body language was "I'm going to go Zambrano on my team."

IIRC, his next outing was against the Twins. He went 10 innings and lost 1-0.:(: I was convinced the Yankee players were trying to give Steinbrenner the Big One that year with the craptacular play (they finished dead last in the entire AL with a 67-95 record. Only the Braves at 65-97 were worse in MLB).

In hindsight, I was not surprised. This was Comiskey's last birthday, so the Sox had to win. It was also the Yankees' last game ever at Comiskey (barring a miracle run to take the division), so they had to have something positive happen given the history of the franchise. A deal was cut in Baseball Heaven.

I can't believe the Yanks were that bad once upon a time. Its hard to imagine, especially today. Would have loved to see Steinbrenner's reaction over his mighty Yanks finishing dead last.

TDog
07-02-2010, 08:49 AM

The same could be said for 1972.

MeteorsSox4367
07-02-2010, 03:32 PM
It was a Sunday afternoon game, because I remember driving home from Christ Hospital in Oak Lawn listening to the game after I had broken my pinky playing softball that morning at Vittum Park.

MetroPD
07-02-2010, 07:41 PM
I was there along the third base side with my brothers little league team. It was a pretty strange game to say the least.

RF/DH#3
07-03-2010, 11:46 AM
I remember listening on the Radio with my Grampa. We didnt have cable at the time and the game must have not been on Channel 9. Also remember that Sammy Sosa's hustle to first set up that 4 run inning and possibly may have been a hit? I forget if the thirdbaseman juggled the ball but Sammy beat out the throw. Back when he would actually Hustle:D:

Medford Bobby
07-06-2010, 01:29 PM
It was a last minute decision to go to the game, got a 5 dollars ticket and found a nice box seat to sit.....ah the old days of Comiskey Park!:D:

DumpJerry
07-06-2010, 01:33 PM
I was there along the third base side with my brothers little league team. It was a pretty strange game to say the least.
I was on the Third Base side, too. Mezzanine level.

DumpJerry
07-06-2010, 01:35 PM
I can't believe the Yanks were that bad once upon a time. Its hard to imagine, especially today. Would have loved to see Steinbrenner's reaction over his mighty Yanks finishing dead last.
http://www.krackblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/rambo_17_04_2006.jpg
Who do I hold responsible?

35th&Shields
07-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Wow. 20 years? I remember I was at Ray Meyer basketball camp and the game happened the day my mom and dad picked me up to go home. This was obviously before cell phones were common and the internet so I didn't know what happened. I remember my mom saying "they are playing so well, they didn't get a hit and we still won." My mom is gone now so thinking about this game and this time in my life was a really nice, simple memory and a reminder of the small but important role sports can play in our lives and with our families.