PDA

View Full Version : One Century at 35th & Shields

Hitmen77
07-01-2010, 08:23 AM
100 years ago today (July 1, 1910), the "Baseball Palace of the World" (a.k.a. Comiskey Park) opened as home of the Chicago White Sox.

The old park closed 20 years ago, of course, but today marks 100 years since the White Sox started playing their games at 35th and Shields.

Happy Anniversary!:party:

SaltyPretzel
07-01-2010, 10:24 AM
http://memory.loc.gov/ndlpcoop/ichicdn/s0088/s008841.jpg

Carolina Kenny
07-01-2010, 12:23 PM
She was old and dingy, just like my old dog.

But just like my old hound, I loved her and nothing will ever replace her.

The air of history and mystery hung over her like a shroud.

Lord, I loved and revered that place.

Happy Birthday, too bad the last Sox World Series was too late for you.

LongLiveFisk
07-01-2010, 12:39 PM
:happybday to Comiskey Park.

I'll always have fond memories. :tiphat:

Red Barchetta
07-01-2010, 12:47 PM
http://memory.loc.gov/ndlpcoop/ichicdn/s0088/s008841.jpg

I really, really wish, they would have designed new Comiskey to have similar architecture, whereas the ramps and escalators would have been inside the shell so that the windows, like those at old Comiskey, would have been on the outside and not covered up by the ugly ramps.

tebman
07-01-2010, 12:50 PM
God, I loved that place. It's time was up and I knew it but I still miss it like the departed family member it was.

It was a combination ballpark, playground, treehouse, and raffish hideout. I miss it a lot.

Here's to you, old friend! :gulp:

soxpride724
07-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Anyone here still have one of the old bricks from Comiskey? Hard to beleive these things are 100 years old.

DumpJerry
07-01-2010, 01:09 PM
I miss the Baseball Palace. It was my summer home in high school.:whiner:

HomeFish
07-01-2010, 01:11 PM
I never attended a game there or even saw it, but I saw a video tour of it on YouTube and it seemed like a fun place. Even if the game sucked I bet you could just walk around the concourse and see interesting things and events.

LoveYourSuit
07-01-2010, 01:16 PM
I loved the weird angled seats down in the Corners under the Upper Deck.

You couldn't see ****, but it was just fun to be in that park.

1990 mid season series versus the mighty Roided A's is a series I will never forget. The park was full every single game and our Genderal Admission tickets got us a horrible seat looking out through 5 by 20 picture window (net) of the Patio area on the LF wall. I couldn't see ****, but I was there.

MeteorsSox4367
07-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Worked there for SportService in the summers of '84 and '85. Was able to get some cool autographs since we had to be there three hours ahead of time.

Got to be there for the clincher in '83 and a lot of other games as a kid and young adult. Even got to see some Sting games there, as well.

Always felt Comiskey got a bad rap because it wasn't Wrigley or Fenway or Yankee Stadium.

I have to admit when I drive home from work every day and go past 35th and Shields, part of me still wishes the old park were there.

Happy 100th to a place that provided a lot of great memories!

LITTLE NELL
07-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Anyone here still have one of the old bricks from Comiskey? Hard to beleive these things are 100 years old.

Yours truly has a brick but I made a mistake by not buying a seat.

Would it had not been great if the money spent on USCF would have gone to a rehab of old Comiskey.

Carolina Kenny
07-01-2010, 02:52 PM

Would it had not been great if the money spent on USCF would have gone to a rehab of old Comiskey.

I have a brick with a Speedway Wrecking gold plaque.
I had a chance to buy a seat, but passed on it.

At the very least they should have tried better to keep the outside of USCF more consistant with the old park. I remember reading a great column by an architect bemoaning all the exposed ramps etc.

LongLiveFisk
07-01-2010, 02:54 PM
I never attended a game there or even saw it, but I saw a video tour of it on YouTube and it seemed like a fun place. Even if the game sucked I bet you could just walk around the concourse and see interesting things and events.

Yep, I did that on many an occasion, especially during rain delays.

I seem to recall there being a stand-up arcade game or two back there. Does anyone else remember that?

PaleHoser
07-01-2010, 02:58 PM
I still miss her. I miss the smell - stale beer, urine and cooking food. I miss the Picnic Area in left field and the sunsets in right. I miss the loge box seats in the upper deck, where you were close enough to the field to hear the game and it looked like you were watching it on a big screen TV.

I for one am glad the Sox now play at "U.S. Cellular Field" because Comiskey Park was, and always will be across the street from their current home.

:gulp:

soxpride724
07-01-2010, 03:10 PM

Yeah same here. I kick myself for not buying one, for what, like $50.00 when they were selling them? You can still find them on Ebay for several hundred dollars.

Cat Thief
07-01-2010, 03:18 PM

I seem to recall there being a stand-up arcade game or two back there. Does anyone else remember that?

I remember the arcade games under the left field stands. Man those were some good times.

LITTLE NELL
07-01-2010, 03:19 PM

Back in the left field corner concourse near the picnic area.

tebman
07-01-2010, 03:49 PM

Back in the left field corner concourse near the picnic area.

I was at a game when it was "Urban Cowboy Night" coinciding with the movie (1980 I think). There was a mechanical bull back there by the arcade games under the stands in left-center. It was wild watching people fall off into random piles of straw on the concrete.

The space behind the Picnic Area was pretty wide and accomodated a goodly number of picnic tables, video games, and random concessions. But it wasn't a well-organized food court; it was more like somebody set up stuff in your garage.

The old ballpark was endearingly scruffy. Jean Shepherd spoke longingly in one of his monologues about the ballpark being part of a world that was made of used bricks. It was character and personality he was talking about.

Here's Part 1 of three videos that tour the park. Watch this and then check out Part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5zXsz81Yto&feature=related) and Part 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIwj2zFtjBI&feature=related). You'll be glad you did.

FaepsBBHTh4

Paulwny
07-01-2010, 03:57 PM
I have a brick with a Speedway Wrecking gold plaque.

I also have this brick with the plaque, a X-mas gift from my son.

Hitmen77
07-01-2010, 10:46 PM
I was actually wondering if the White Sox would do anything to commemorate their 100th anniversary of Comiskey Park's opening and 100 years playing at 35th & Shields.

....but it seems like they're not doing anything.

thomas35forever
07-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Every time I see older Sox fans reminiscing about the old ballpark, it makes me wish I could have gone. Yeah, I was only a year-and-a-half old when it closed but it's not I like would have remembered it if I had gone anyways. If time travel ever becomes possible, one of the things I'm doing is buying a ticket and going to a game at that park.

WhiteSoxOnly
07-01-2010, 11:30 PM
I still miss her. I miss the smell - stale beer, urine and cooking food. I miss the Picnic Area in left field and the sunsets in right. I miss the loge box seats in the upper deck, where you were close enough to the field to hear the game and it looked like you were watching it on a big screen TV.

I for one am glad the Sox now play at "U.S. Cellular Field" because Comiskey Park was, and always will be across the street from their current home.

:gulp:

This,and i wouldn't change a word.You captured it.

LongLiveFisk
07-01-2010, 11:35 PM
Every time I see older Sox fans reminiscing about the old ballpark, it makes me wish I could have gone. Yeah, I was only a year-and-a-half old when it closed but it's not I like would have remembered it if I had gone anyways. If time travel ever becomes possible, one of the things I'm doing is buying a ticket and going to a game at that park.

I feel that way for my nieces and nephews that either weren't born yet, or were like you and too young to remember. I wish that when I told stories about the park that they could identify with what I was talking about.

So, yes that's unfortunate. I am sure I would feel the same way.

KnightSox
07-01-2010, 11:56 PM
Anyone here still have one of the old bricks from Comiskey? Hard to beleive these things are 100 years old.I have a slab of four bricks still attached to each other with mortar from the right field wall. It still has paint from the white wash, but some paint has come off of the other bricks revealing the original color.

We were at the park after demolition concluded for the day, we paid a security guard a couple bucks to take a walk the other way. I went under the fence and began pushing out bricks and seat backs, we saved the slab and a couple of single bricks. The bricks are now in a prominent place in my house, behind glass with a plaque.

TornLabrum
07-02-2010, 12:10 AM
I also have an unauthenticated brick. We were outside the old park before a game (coming from G Lot) and I was telling Jeff how I'd love to have one of the bricks. A young agile guy offered to do it for five bucks. I took him up on the offer and the brick is mine. Since I would never sell it, and neither would our son, we don't care about the certificate of authenticity.

Rikirk
07-02-2010, 12:46 AM
Was there in 1978, had Harry Carrey sign my glove....long since lost that glove.
Went there for every opening day during my days at St. Rita...1984-1987.
And spent my 21st birthday there on the last day...

Steve Dahls song said it best...miss the ol' girl.

Nellie_Fox
07-02-2010, 12:58 AM
I also have an unauthenticated brick; got it from a Chicago cop who worked that district. It also has some of the whitewash.

Like Torn, I don't care that it's unauthenticated since I'll never sell it. I've also got the large, diamond-shaped, Old Style commemorative framed 1910-1990 plaque with the name of every Sox player from those 80 years.

PhillipsBubba
07-02-2010, 01:04 AM
She was old and dingy, just like my old dog.

But just like my old hound, I loved her and nothing will ever replace her.

The air of history and mystery hung over her like a shroud.

Lord, I loved and revered that place.

Happy Birthday, too bad the last Sox World Series was too late for you.

OMG, Carolina...you took the words out of my mouth (and my heart).

I'll never forget the first time my father took me there (a night game against Cleveland in 1958). He took me from the fuzzy grey and white images on our TV to a colorful wonderland filled with exciting sights and sounds.

Nellie Fox, Louis Aparicio, Sherm Lollar, Al Lopez...they will always be with me...even public address announcer Tates Johnson...I'll can still hear his clear voice announcing each player as he came to the plate.

Years later I brought my Son and Daughter with pride and excitement.

My Grandchildren only know the "Cell" and yes time marches on, but I wish they could have spent a day in the "Baseball Palace of the World"

Nellie_Fox
07-02-2010, 01:20 AM
I'm in the minority in that I don't have as much nostalgia for the old place as most of you. I'm a big guy, and I had crappy seats more often than not. I'd be wedged in, sitting half sideways so that my knees would fit, and they'd still be pressed against the seat in front of me. I got seats where a significant portion of the field was obscured by a pole, or seats where I couldn't see the scoreboard because of the upper-deck overhang.

I have great memories of GAMES there, and of course the first time I came up out of that dark, dank concourse and saw that expanse of emerald-green grass (I always say it was like the part of the Wizard of Oz when the movie suddenly is in color) but the park itself was done.

tebman
07-02-2010, 10:10 AM
I'm in the minority in that I don't have as much nostalgia for the old place as most of you. I'm a big guy, and I had crappy seats more often than not. I'd be wedged in, sitting half sideways so that my knees would fit, and they'd still be pressed against the seat in front of me. I got seats where a significant portion of the field was obscured by a pole, or seats where I couldn't see the scoreboard because of the upper-deck overhang.

I have great memories of GAMES there, and of course the first time I came up out of that dark, dank concourse and saw that expanse of emerald-green grass (I always say it was like the part of the Wizard of Oz when the movie suddenly is in color) but the park itself was done.

The park was done, no doubt about it. It was a good design for sightlines in 1910 when there was no upper deck beyond the infield, but the 1927 expansion created too many more seats with obstructed views. The seats were too small but that was the standard size in 1910; comfort was not a consideration unless you were sitting in an actual "box" seat with a full-size chair. In the picture of the 1917 team you can see the Box Seats behind them, with actual boxes enclosing a space with wooden chairs.

My fond memories have more to do with atmosphere and texture than comfort. I miss the unapologetic industrial South Side quality of the joint. It was a place you could explore, which is shown so well in those three YouTube videos in my earlier post. Kind of a baseball museum with a game going on inside.

After 80 years though, it was falling apart. Nothing short of a total rebuild could have saved it and the future of the team in Chicago.

http://artfiles.art.com/5/p/LRG/14/1466/KT5Q000Z/1917-white-sox-world-series-champions.jpg

TommyJohn
07-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Always felt Comiskey got a bad rap because it wasn't Wrigley or Fenway or Yankee Stadium.

It has always amazed me how the baseball poets, philosphers and mystics can faint at the mere mention of Wrigley Field, Fenway Park, Ebbets Field, Polo Grounds, Crosley Field, Shibe Park or any other cramped old "cathedral" of baseball, but turn right around and give Comiskey the short shrift. I always wonder why. What is the difference between Comiskey and those other places?

Brian26
07-02-2010, 08:16 PM
1990 mid season series versus the mighty Roided A's is a series I will never forget. The park was full every single game and our Genderal Admission tickets got us a horrible seat looking out through 5 by 20 picture window (net) of the Patio area on the LF wall. I couldn't see ****, but I was there.

That series included the last game I ever attended there. It was the first game of the series (a night game), and I sat in the upper deck in RF. Canseco fell on his behind in a giant puddle on the warning track immediately under us (it had been raining all day), and Sosa hit a mammoth homer into the LF upper tank, which we had a great view. That was a great series. I think the Sox pulled within 4.0 games behind Oakland with that win, but it would prove to be too little too late.

SephClone89
07-02-2010, 11:06 PM

Amen, brother. I was a little less than a year old when it closed but I have an obsession with the park. I love the design of it...I love reading about it and seeing videos like the one posted earlier in this topic.

I agree...sports time machine? Besides maybe some truly iconic games in baseball and/or football, I think any old game at Old Comiskey would be #1 for me. Not sure which era...50s and 60s? Maybe 70s, for Harry.

LITTLE NELL
07-03-2010, 06:33 AM
Amen, brother. I was a little less than a year old when it closed but I have an obsession with the park. I love the design of it...I love reading about it and seeing videos like the one posted earlier in this topic.

I agree...sports time machine? Besides maybe some truly iconic games in baseball and/or football, I think any old game at Old Comiskey would be #1 for me. Not sure which era...50s and 60s? Maybe 70s, for Harry.

I will give some years to visit if you ever go back in time.
The 59 AL championship season.
63,64,65 seasons where we won over 90 games each year and finished 2nd all 3 years.
The 67 hitless wonders with the best pitching by a Sox staff that I've witnessed.
The 72 season with Richie Allen
The 83 season winning the AL West by 20 games but winning ugly.
The 90 season, the last one but a great one with a team that came out of nowhere to contend. 1st year of Turn Back the Clock.
And finally even though we came in 3rd, for me the 1977 Southside Hit Men was the just about the greatest season ever in the old ballpark, people were singing Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye and screaming for curtain calls and refusing to go home after another Sox win. The Sox were hitting home runs like never before in the history of the franchise. You could not beat fun at the old ballpark that year.

tick53
07-03-2010, 11:43 AM
I spent most of my youth there and I would not trade a minute of it for anything. When the wrecking ball he it, I wept. :(:

tebman
07-03-2010, 11:46 AM
63,64,65 seasons where we won over 90 games each year and finished 2nd all 3 years.
The 67 hitless wonders with the best pitching by a Sox staff that I've witnessed.
The 90 season, the last one but a great one with a team that came out of nowhere to contend. 1st year of Turn Back the Clock.
And finally even though we came in 3rd, for me the 1977 Southside Hit Men was the just about the greatest season ever in the old ballpark, people were singing Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye and screaming for curtain calls and refusing to go home after another Sox win. The Sox were hitting home runs like never before in the history of the franchise. You could not beat fun at the old ballpark that year.

That summer was a continuous party. Nobody, including the players, many of whom were castoffs from other teams, expected to win much. The Sox held first place for weeks and weeks, which annoyed the then-haughty Royals. If I could wish a gift to anybody it would be to re-live that season -- it was great.

If you can find a copy at a bookstore or library, look at the book "Park Life" (http://www.amazon.com/Park-Life-Summer-1977-Comiskey/dp/0970727801) by Peter Elliott. It's an oversized photo book full of pictures taken at Comiskey Park in 1977. It doesn't show the emotional highs but it does give the feel of the place during that era.

LITTLE NELL
07-03-2010, 01:16 PM

That summer was a continuous party. Nobody, including the players, many of whom were castoffs from other teams, expected to win much. The Sox held first place for weeks and weeks, which annoyed the then-haughty Royals. If I could wish a gift to anybody it would be to re-live that season -- it was great.

If you can find a copy at a bookstore or library, look at the book "Park Life" (http://www.amazon.com/Park-Life-Summer-1977-Comiskey/dp/0970727801) by Peter Elliott. It's an oversized photo book full of pictures taken at Comiskey Park in 1977. It doesn't show the emotional highs but it does give the feel of the place during that era.

It was a great summer and it reached the acme on the last Sunday in July when we won one of the greatest games ever in Sox Park in the opener of a double header against the Royals which put us up by 5.5 games, we were going for a 4 game sweep in the nitecap but KC won that game. If the Sox win that game I think we would have demoralized KC and probably would go on and win the division.

Personally for me that was quite a summer as I tore my ACL in my right knee on Memorial day, had surgery 2 days later and was in a bent cast from the upper leg to the toes for 8 weeks. I could not drive so every week that the Sox were home I called a friend or relative to go to a Sox game.

October26
07-03-2010, 03:15 PM
I loved Old Comiskey Park; went to lots of Sox games with my family and kissed my first boyfriend there behind one of the outfield beams when I was just 16 years old.

My first boyfriend is long gone and so is Old Comiskey Park, but the memories that I have will stay with me forever. I too cried the day that the wrecking ball hit Old Comiskey Park. I miss Old Comiskey Park but recognize that it was beyond repair. Our fan base at the time was small and the White Sox as a franchise were in economic disarray.

Life is a series of transitions and it was time for the White Sox to move to a new stadium. In the new Comiskey Park, now US Cellular Field, I've collected a brand new set of cherished memories with my family, including the 2005 World Series Championship.

And I'm hoping that I'll get to see many more White Sox World Series Championships before my life is over!