PDA

View Full Version : Putz

LITTLE NELL
06-30-2010, 06:51 AM
Have not been able to see much of Putz in the games I've seen on WGN but his ERA is 1.86. Could he be our closer if we were to trade Jenks since Bobby has some trade value now. We need a left handed power hitter and maybe we can trade Jenks and some others for someone like Dunn.

southside rocks
06-30-2010, 07:05 AM
With the Sox a game and a half out of first, Bobby Jenks is not getting traded.

kevingrt
06-30-2010, 08:28 AM
With the Sox a game and a half out of first, Bobby Jenks is not getting traded.

Completely agree. And watching both Putz and Jenks this year I bet we could receive more on the open market for Putz then Bobby.

Slappy
06-30-2010, 09:08 AM
Completely agree. And watching both Putz and Jenks this year I bet we could receive more on the open market for Putz then Bobby.

Agreed on that. I have no idea what we'd be able to get for Putz or Bobby in the way of a LH bat, if they were part of some package deal that would help us out offensively, cool. But our pen has been our strong point, and if we got rid of one of them and kept Linebrink I would probably cry.

asindc
06-30-2010, 09:22 AM
Agreed on that. I have no idea what we'd be able to get for Putz or Bobby in the way of a LH bat, if they were part of some package deal that would help us out offensively, cool. But our pen has been our strong point, and if we got rid of one of them and kept Linebrink I would probably cry.

There is no way we are getting rid of Linebrink unless we give him away and pay almost all his salary.

Craig Grebeck
06-30-2010, 09:52 AM
I'd be open to extending Putz at a reasonable rate and non-tendering Bobby following 2010.

harwar
06-30-2010, 10:40 AM
yea, after the season is done .. right now with Santos,Putz,Thornton, & Jenks we have an awesome bullpen ..

pythons007
06-30-2010, 12:54 PM
Have not been able to see much of Putz in the games I've seen on WGN but his ERA is 1.86. Could he be our closer if we were to trade Jenks since Bobby has some trade value now. We need a left handed power hitter and maybe we can trade Jenks and some others for someone like Dunn.

Why in the blue hell would Washington trade for Bobby Jenks who is owed more money then their own currently closer who has more saves? If anyting they will be trading their own closer with guys like Clippard and Storen in their bullpen.

DirtySox
06-30-2010, 01:10 PM
Can't go wrong with Putz after this season. He will almost assuredly be a Type B free agent. Offer him arbitration, gain the picks if he walks, if he accepts you have a bonafide closer/setup guy.

LITTLE NELL
06-30-2010, 01:17 PM
Why in the blue hell would Washington trade for Bobby Jenks who is owed more money then their own currently closer who has more saves? If anyting they will be trading their own closer with guys like Clippard and Storen in their bullpen.

When I said someone like Dunn I meant a sorely needed Lefthanded hitter.

TDog
06-30-2010, 01:51 PM

There had been a rumor in the Bay Area that the Giants were looking at Putz. With the recent surge by the White Sox, that is no longer something people are talking about. Like many rumors that rely, if anything, on unnamed sources, it likely just began on speculation that the White Sox were dead and would want to shed their quality players before the trade deadline.

Unless you want to wear down your bullpen, which you can do if your team is winning and your starter is only going six or seven a night, forcing you to go to your A guys in most games, you need to be deep with relievers. Last night's game, I think, demonstrated that Jenks is important to the White Sox, not because he is the closer, but because the White Sox were running out of viable options Jenks isn't going to another team this year. It's popular here to suggest Jenks be non-tendered after the season so that Putz can move into the closer role, but the White Sox would diminish their bullpen in the process.

It is a good thing that the White Sox have three, maybe four relievers who can close. In a really big game, say the World Series, they could even use one of their starters if no one else is available. It isn't like having three really good first basemen. Just because Putz can close effectively doesn't mean the White Sox need to get rid of Jenks.

slavko
06-30-2010, 08:02 PM
Finally, the kind of problem I like to see. If great bullpens make great managers (wish I remembered who said that) then we have a great manager. Closers sometimes fall out of the trees. Jon Rauch is now a nice closer. David Aardsma is now a niceish closer. Octavio Dotel just closed out the Cubbies for the 7th time this year. Kevin Gregg can suddenly close again.

Putz is looking like one studly closer and so is Bobby. Hawk calls him putts, but that's Hawk. It's puts. He has a future here, if he wants it.