PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Sliding Up The Bannister For Once' 6/29 White Sox vs KC Postgame Thread

soxinem1
06-29-2010, 10:04 PM
Gavin did well except for that fifth inning.

Way too many stranded runners tonight. Four games in a row we cannot get a hit to put the bad guys away.

BadBobbyJenks
06-29-2010, 10:05 PM
Dayan in, Sox win.

tony1972

Way too many stranded runners tonight. Four games in a row we cannot get a hit to put the bad guys away.

We won..quit complaining...man...we complain even after a win...:smile::scratch:

ilsox7
Win the series tomorrow.

thomas35forever
06-29-2010, 10:06 PM
AJ gets this: :clap:

Bloomquist gets this: :fail:

hi im skot
Dayan in, Sox win.

:thumbsup:

To be fair, Kotsay had a pretty solid game tonight.

october23sp
Win the series tomorrow and I'm happy. We NEED wins when the Tigers and Twins are playing each other.

WhiteSox56
Sox back in the win column
:)

soltrain21
06-29-2010, 10:07 PM
Celebrate good times. COME ON!

Kenny Get Your Dunn.

tony1972
I love Chicago Teams...but the White Sox I consider MY TEAM....:smile:

BlackandWhiteSox
Win the series tomorrow and I'm happy. We NEED wins when the Tigers and Twins are playing each other.

This

voodoochile
Nice job by Thornton and Putz to nail it down.

Beckham, Kotsay, Viciedo, Pierre all played a big role in the runs the team scored and nice job picking up the eventual winning run with 2-outs by Ramirez.

Looks like the Twinkies are going to win so things will be back to where they were yesterday in the standings and that's just fine.

:soxwin:

:)

Scuzzy19
06-29-2010, 10:08 PM
This game was intense in that bases loaded situation where vizquel made an amazing defensive play to get the force out at second. lets take the series tomorrow!:bandance:

asindc

Actually, in two of the last four games, including tonight, the Sox did just that, as evidenced by the final scores.

DirtySox
More Dayan please.

soxinem1
06-29-2010, 10:11 PM
More Dayan please.

Yes, he needs to get AB's. HE can turn on a big league fastball and seems to have a clue so far on off-speed stuff.

LET HIM PLAY, LET HIM PLAY!!!:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

BadBobbyJenks
06-29-2010, 10:13 PM
:thumbsup:

To be fair, Kotsay had a pretty solid game tonight.

We are 3-0 when he starts.

ChicagoG19
06-29-2010, 10:14 PM
Good to see Gordon get a couple of hits. Let's get the series win tomorrow boys.

october23sp
06-29-2010, 10:15 PM
That was the best game thread I have ever seen.

NDSox12
06-29-2010, 10:16 PM
Not sure I get the thread title considering Bannister has a career ERA around 8.00 against the Sox.

Missed lots of opportunities to pour it on tonight, but at least they got the win. Big game tomorrow. Let's hope Peavy stays hot!

whitesox4eva
06-29-2010, 10:21 PM
Kitties lose. :tongue:

BadBobbyJenks
06-29-2010, 10:24 PM
Kitties lose. :tongue:

Win tomorrow and we gain ground on 1st place no matter what

Brian26
06-29-2010, 10:26 PM
Let's keep the conversation here focused on the game, as I just wasted time purging a bunch of nonsense to the Roadhouse.

Thanks

johnnyg83
06-29-2010, 10:27 PM
not sure of the relation to the game, but Bannister had been amazing his last two starts.

konerko 14
06-29-2010, 10:27 PM
Dayan, Pierre, Beckham and Kotsay with 2 hits each

JB98
06-29-2010, 10:29 PM
I felt like the Sox had an angel watching over them tonight. From the fifth inning on, I didn't feel like they were going to win until they actually did. Lots of bullets dodged, balls hit right at fielders, etc. Pierzynski picked a good time to throw out a baserunner. That was huge.

This team still hasn't lost three in a row since mid-April. Keep minimizing those losing streaks, and that should keep this team in the hunt. Hopefully, KW can make the big add we need before the deadline.

hi im skot
06-29-2010, 10:30 PM
That was the best game thread I have ever seen.

It was definitely a good one.

GoGoCrede
06-29-2010, 10:30 PM
Let's keep the conversation here focused on the game, as I just wasted time purging a bunch of nonsense to the Roadhouse.

Thanks

I'm sorry, I got carried away.

BadBobbyJenks
06-29-2010, 10:32 PM
I'm sorry, I got carried away.

Good god, now we have a third hijack!!!

GlassSox
06-29-2010, 10:34 PM
A good win that made us nervous a few times. My wife enjoyed seeing Pods again.

I agree with previous posters, let's see what Dayan can do.

SBSoxFan
06-29-2010, 10:37 PM
I felt like the Sox had an angel watching over them tonight. From the fifth inning on, I didn't feel like they were going to win until they actually did. Lots of bullets dodged, balls hit right at fielders, etc. Pierzynski picked a good time to throw out a baserunner. That was huge.

Yes, it was huge. However, I think it was poor managing. The hit-and-run was a good idea. But, just like I didn't like Alexei sacrificing in the top of the 9th, why try to steal a base with a guy who isn't good at stealing bases when you are down by a run. Why not hit-and-run again with Pods --- 2 fast runners?

johnnyg83
06-29-2010, 10:38 PM
say what you want about Dayan, that bat is aggressive ,,, and active ... and there's a lil bit of electricity ... i do not see the same with Kotsay and Jones.

Hitmen77
06-29-2010, 10:39 PM
Whew! I thought we were cruising to a victory and then it became too close! That 8th inning was nerve racking. The caught stealing in the 9th was HUGE.

I hate it when the Sox score early and then the offense shuts down, but hey, it's a win. :D:

Great to see Beckham and Viciedo have a good night at the plate. Ozzie, can we see Dayan more often please?! I'd like for the Sox to see what he's got. If he can hit at the MLB, we can use his bat! With a Cy Young winner going tomorrow, I suppose we won't be seeing Viciedo start.

Oh, and Hawk's Joe West conspiracy theory is just embarrassing.

october23sp
06-29-2010, 10:51 PM
That win just felt like one we wouldn't get before the run started.

TDog
06-29-2010, 10:51 PM
Dayan, Pierre, Beckham and Kotsay with 2 hits each

Every other hitter had one hit except for Rios who went hitless. I didn't see the game so I don't know why a single on the ground to Podsednik in left (that's what Gameday reported) resulted in Viciedo not moving from second base. I'm sure there is a reason it ended Viciedo didn't advance, but the play made he hits-with-runners-in-scoring-position stats a little deceptive.

shingo10
06-29-2010, 10:53 PM
Oh, and Hawk's Joe West conspiracy theory is just embarrassing.

I found his theory absolutley hilarious because of how ridiculous it was. The umpires who are friends of Joe West are taking it out on the Sox because he got fined? Probably not. But I'd love to see Hawk do some investigative reporting to find out exactly which umpires are friends with the Cowboy.

Tragg
06-29-2010, 10:55 PM
say what you want about Dayan, that bat is aggressive ,,, and active ... and there's a lil bit of electricity ... i do not see the same with Kotsay and Jones.

Any reason Dayan should be on the bench to let either of those two hit? It's mind boggling that he sits for Kotsay

Farsouthside
06-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Hillarious seeing Ozzie motioning down to the 3rd base ump "you to M'Fer, you to!" for his sh*t strike zone with Buerhle last night. Hawk conspiracy theory or not!!

Go get em sox...

BadBobbyJenks
06-29-2010, 10:59 PM
Any reason Dayan should be on the bench to let either of those two hit? It's mind boggling that he sits for Kotsay

Hopefully he rides the hot hand with his day today and Dayan gets hot.

PhillipsBubba
06-29-2010, 11:03 PM
I agree with previous posters, let's see what Dayan can do.

I agree...although there are some expert talent evaluators around here who wanted to protect his tender sensibilities by leaving him in the minors for an indeterminable amount of time.

chisoxfanatic
06-29-2010, 11:06 PM
As I said in my game report, I'd like to see Viciedo starting more often.

TheCommander
06-29-2010, 11:10 PM
I found his theory absolutley hilarious because of how ridiculous it was. The umpires who are friends of Joe West are taking it out on the Sox because he got fined? Probably not. But I'd love to see Hawk do some investigative reporting to find out exactly which umpires are friends with the Cowboy.

I didn't catch the whole game and missed this part. I really hope he was being facetious.

Farsouthside
06-29-2010, 11:16 PM

Your right, its a little paranoid. But it doesnt change the fact that Joe West is a blubbering mod edit: DO NOT attempt to evade the language filters. Next time will result in a suspension of privileges.

tstrike2000
06-29-2010, 11:17 PM
Didn't see or hear the game, but it's nice to see the Sox end the two game slide.

ohthosechisox
06-29-2010, 11:39 PM

Glad I wasn't the only one who laughed at Hawk's theory!

Win the series tomorrow, boys!

Tragg
06-29-2010, 11:48 PM
Only 4 available arms in the bullpen who can pitch decently, any thought to getting Torres up here? He's 27, having a solid year and has pitched well in the majors before. What's the problem?

Marqhead
06-29-2010, 11:48 PM
Caught parts of the game off and on. Nice throw by AJ to get a big second out in the 9th. Good to see Dayan and Beckham picking up some hits.

Peavy on the mound tomorrow, take the series and all is well.

BadBobbyJenks
06-29-2010, 11:49 PM
Only 4 available arms in the bullpen who can pitch decently, any thought to getting Torres up here? He's 27, having a solid year and has pitched well in the majors before. What's the problem?

Randy Williams is a lefty.

guillensdisciple
06-30-2010, 12:30 AM
Great win by the Sox and back to 1.5 games out.

The White Sox are 16-8 in 1 run games, and that is a sign of a winning ball club because we have a hell of a pitching staff. Dayan needs to play more, and we need to add a bat, even though I have a feeling if Dayan continues slugging away we will see a Teahen/ Viciedo mix at third and Dh. Kinda defensively disturbing but offensively possible if Dayan continues showing he has great potential.

russ99
06-30-2010, 12:32 AM

So is Erick Threets. Williams will be in Charlotte soon. I'd think Linebrink's contract is a bigger barrier to Torres staying in AAA, and that he's better trade bait there than getting lit up in the bigs.

Are we going to whine, cry and complain about Kotsay for the next 3 months? Seriously... Every single thread.

BlackandWhiteSox
06-30-2010, 12:58 AM
I know, I know, it's only 3 games...but Viciedo has looked ok at 3B. Vizquel is obviously the safer bet, but with Viciedo hitting the ball as hard as he has, I'm fine with giving Viciedo a few more starts at 3B as of right now. Hopefully he doesn't let me down.

Tragg
06-30-2010, 01:13 AM
A lefty who isn't very good. I'll take a righty who can pitch.

So is Erick Threets. Williams will be in Charlotte soon. I'd think Linebrink's contract is a bigger barrier to Torres staying in AAA, and that he's better trade bait there than getting lit up in the bigs.

Are we going to whine, cry and complain about Kotsay for the next 3 months? Seriously... Every single thread.
Trade bait? We need him to pitch.
Linebrink is sunk cost. He shouldn't block anyone.

Since you mentioned Kotsay (who wasn't mentioned in the post to which you responded) , if Guillen hadn't pulled the same bull**** with Erstad and Owens in 2007, and Wise in 2009, it probably would be overlooked somewhat. In fact, the only respite the Sox got from one of Ozzie's favs since 2007, was the only year we made the playoffs.

WhiteSox5187
06-30-2010, 01:52 AM
A lefty who isn't very good. I'll take a righty who can pitch.

Trade bait? We need him to pitch.
Linebrink is sunk cost. He shouldn't block anyone.

Since you mentioned Kotsay (who wasn't mentioned in the post to which you responded) , if Guillen hadn't pulled the same bull**** with Erstad and Owens in 2007, and Wise in 2009, it probably would be overlooked somewhat. In fact, the only respite the Sox got from one of Ozzie's favs since 2007, was the only year we made the playoffs.

In 2007 Jerry Owens was our best CF prospect (Sweeney was a corner OFer), he got the majority of the starts in CF. Darin Erstad was a guy Kenny brought in to be our starting CFer because Anderson couldn't hit, so it should come as no surprise that Ozzie used him when he was healthy. And in 2009 Wise started 36 games. None of those guys exactly killed the club those years.

Ozzie's use of Kotsay is perplexing however. It could be that he wants a left handed bat in the lineup and his is the only left handed bat we have.

GAsoxfan
06-30-2010, 08:11 AM
Every other hitter had one hit except for Rios who went hitless. I didn't see the game so I don't know why a single on the ground to Podsednik in left (that's what Gameday reported) resulted in Viciedo not moving from second base. I'm sure there is a reason it ended Viciedo didn't advance, but the play made he hits-with-runners-in-scoring-position stats a little deceptive.

I think the SS had a chance to field the ball, so Viciedo waited at 2nd to avoid being caught in a rundown. By the time the ball got through the infield, there wasn't enough time to get to third.

doublem23
06-30-2010, 08:17 AM
I know, I know, it's only 3 games...but Viciedo has looked ok at 3B. Vizquel is obviously the safer bet, but with Viciedo hitting the ball as hard as he has, I'm fine with giving Viciedo a few more starts at 3B as of right now. Hopefully he doesn't let me down.

Omar's been very good at 3B and I think he's having a wonderful impact on Alexei, who seems to be taking less naps in the field during games now, so while I'm OK with keeping Omar at 3B, can we at least let Dayan prove to us he's worse than Kotsay/Jones? I can't imagine that's possible, but let's give the kid a chance to prove he stinks before relegating him to the bench.

doublem23
06-30-2010, 08:18 AM

He's terrible and playing everyday. At least until the Sox replace him.

Domeshot17
06-30-2010, 08:59 AM
He's terrible and playing everyday. At least until the Sox replace him.

The Sox have the worst DH production in the major leagues. Do you think that might be the cause of a couple losses? Imagine what it would be like if, instead of sending up Mark Kotsay (one of the worst performing hitters in the majors this year) with the bases loaded, 1 out, down 2 in the 9th, we could send up someone capable of, you know, getting a hit.

I used to think Kotsay could be a valuable role player, but he just doesn't have anything of value any more. His bat off the bench has been as bad as his bat starting.

GoSox2K3
06-30-2010, 09:20 AM

Are you going to whine, cry and complain every time someone brings up legitimate criticism of Kotsay's role on this team? Seriously....every single thread.

Kotsay as our main DH = bad idea and people are going to express that.

TheOldRoman
06-30-2010, 09:31 AM
I found his theory absolutley hilarious because of how ridiculous it was. The umpires who are friends of Joe West are taking it out on the Sox because he got fined? Probably not. But I'd love to see Hawk do some investigative reporting to find out exactly which umpires are friends with the Cowboy.I didn't hear his conspiracy, but that is completely plausible. It happens. Umpires protect their own kind, and they don't like being called out for incompetance or laziness. I always bring up this point, but in 2004 Ozzie was tossed after Carlos Lee was "caught stealing" even though the 2B didn't even make an attempt to tag him. Hunter Wendelstedt had taken a knee in a place where he couldn't even see the play, and made no attempt to move to actually get a good view. This lead to to a war of words in which 1)Ozzie lambasted Wendlestedt and Froemming, 2) Ozzie was suspeneded two games, 3)Wensdelstedt made up some stuff Ozzie supposedly said to make him look worse in the situation, 4)Ozzie called him a liar and was suspended for another game. For the rest of 2004 and parts of 2005 the Sox got royally ****ed by certain umpiring crews. It didn't matter that Wendelstedt's laziness blew the call, they were going to punish anybody who stood up to their right to do a half assed job.

russ99
Are you going to whine, cry and complain every time someone brings up legitimate criticism of Kotsay's role on this team? Seriously....every single thread.

Kotsay as our main DH = bad idea and people are going to express that.

No I'm not, there's obviously a weakness there. But it's ridiculous. We all want someone better than Kotsay.

What's the point going on about it - it's not going to change until Kenny upgrades the position. If we had players who could fill this role, they'd be in there...

I just don't like that when this is brought up it turns into a festival of ripping Ozzie, mostly by those with a bone to pick due to perceived slights against other players like Swisher and Anderson.

harwar
Omar's been very good at 3B and I think he's having a wonderful impact on Alexei, who seems to be taking less naps in the field during games now, so while I'm OK with keeping Omar at 3B, can we at least let Dayan prove to us he's worse than Kotsay/Jones? I can't imagine that's possible, but let's give the kid a chance to prove he stinks before relegating him to the bench.

yes , and not only Alexei but Gordon also has his head more into the game now with Omar out there .. at his age Omar needs days off and Dayan can fit in nicely at 3rd and when not at 3rd should be the DH

Domeshot17
06-30-2010, 09:32 AM
No I'm not, there's obviously a weakness there. But it's ridiculous. We all want someone better than Kotsay.

What's the point going on about it - it's not going to change until Kenny upgrades the position. If we had players who could fill this role, they'd be in there...

I just don't like that when this is brought up it turns into a festival of ripping Ozzie, mostly by those with a bone to pick due to perceived slights against other players like Swisher and Anderson.

Kenny did band aid the situation for now..Dayan has been hitting the ball really,really hard. Ozzie has chosen to rip the band aid off.

soltrain21
06-30-2010, 09:33 AM
I want to see Dayan DHing today and Omar at third. No reason not to.

doublem23
06-30-2010, 09:36 AM
yes , and not only Alexei but Gordon also has his head more into the game now with Omar out there .. at his age Omar needs days off and Dayan can fit in nicely at 3rd and when not at 3rd should be the DH

Oh yeah, I definitely agree. I guess the point I was making was that the guy who should be losing PT due to Dayan's presence is Kotsay, not Omar.

harwar
06-30-2010, 09:36 AM
The Sox have the worst DH production in the major leagues. Do you think that might be the cause of a couple losses? Imagine what it would be like if, instead of sending up Mark Kotsay (one of the worst performing hitters in the majors this year) with the bases loaded, 1 out, down 2 in the 9th, we could send up someone capable of, you know, getting a hit.

I used to think Kotsay could be a valuable role player, but he just doesn't have anything of value any more. His bat off the bench has been as bad as his bat starting.

every morning when i wake i check right away to see if KW acquired a DH yet .. you have to know that he's working really hard on that, among other things .. that has to be his top priority though .. we've lost a lot of time on the DH thing this year and the sooner Kotsay gets back to pitch-hitting the better

asindc
06-30-2010, 09:37 AM
I didn't hear his conspiracy, but that is completely plausible. It happens. Umpires protect their own kind, and they don't like being called out for incompetance or laziness. I always bring up this point, but in 2004 Ozzie was tossed after Carlos Lee was "caught stealing" even though the 2B didn't even make an attempt to tag him. Hunter Wendelstedt had taken a knee in a place where he couldn't even see the play, and made no attempt to move to actually get a good view. This lead to to a war of words in which 1)Ozzie lambasted Wendlestedt and Froemming, 2) Ozzie was suspeneded two games, 3)Wensdelstedt made up some stuff Ozzie supposedly said to make him look worse in the situation, 4)Ozzie called him a liar and was suspended for another game. For the rest of 2004 and parts of 2005 the Sox got royally ****ed by certain umpiring crews. It didn't matter that Wendelstedt's laziness blew the call, they were going to punish anybody who stood up to their right to do a half assed job.

I remember when Frank criticized umps during one offseason, early in the next year some umps were calling him out on pitches well outside the strike zone. There was no way anyone could conclude anything except that they were getting back at him for publicly calling them out. On a somewhat related note, has anyone else noticed that there are no overweight officials in any other sport besides baseball?

Tragg
06-30-2010, 09:56 AM

It's not a matter of slights....its a matter of decisions on talent that hurt this ball club.

And look what we're going to have to do to get a LH bat on this team when we could have had one- currently sporting a 900+ OPS- for under $2 million without having to give up a player.
We know whose decision that was....probably the worst in a long line of bad decisions on talent.

This organization needs Torres and Hudson....the young pitching depth is nill. We don't need to give them away because of goofball decisions made in February that DHs need to play the field.

Guillen is a very good manager in many respects; but gosh, he's got his blind spots.

hawkjt
06-30-2010, 10:03 AM
I remember when Frank criticized umps during one offseason, early in the next year some umps were calling him out on pitches well outside the strike zone. There was no way anyone could conclude anything except that they were getting back at him for publicly calling them out. On a somewhat related note, has anyone else noticed that there are no overweight officials in any other sport besides baseball?

Wendlstat carried that grudge over to the Oakland game when he refused to let Crede take first after being hit by a pitch,also,right?
It only takes a tiny adjustment to the strike zone for a pitcher like MB to be totally screwed...like the ump did on Monday nite.:angry:

TheOldRoman
06-30-2010, 10:17 AM
Wendlstat carried that grudge over to the Oakland game when he refused to let Crede take first after being hit by a pitch,also,right?
It only takes a tiny adjustment to the strike zone for a pitcher like MB to be totally screwed...like the ump did on Monday nite.:angry:Yep. And after the HBP, he tossed Ozzie before he even got to the top step of the dugout (and Ozzie hadn't said anything yet). WGN cameras picked up Wendlestedt yelling "shut the **** up" to Ozzie, also. Of course, Crede slammed his bat down after popping up and was tossed, which lead to Dye moving to SS.

soltrain21
06-30-2010, 10:32 AM
Yep. And after the HBP, he tossed Ozzie before he even got to the top step of the dugout (and Ozzie hadn't said anything yet). WGN cameras picked up Wendlestedt yelling "shut the **** up" to Ozzie, also. Of course, Crede slammed his bat down after popping up and was tossed, which lead to Dye moving to SS.

I was helping my friend move a couch that day and we got into the van and turned on the radio and had no ****ing idea what was going on.

TheOldRoman
06-30-2010, 10:43 AM
I was helping my friend move a couch that day and we got into the van and turned on the radio and had no ****ing idea what was going on.Oh, that game was crazy as hell. Iguchi and Uribe were out with injuries, so Willie started at 2B with Crede at short and Chris Widger at 3B. Even though we lost that game in infuriating fashion, I have fond memories of it.

Bobby Thigpen
06-30-2010, 10:57 AM
What does that have to do with anything?

asindc
06-30-2010, 11:00 AM
What does that have to do with anything?

See the bolded text below:

I didn't hear his conspiracy, but that is completely plausible. It happens. Umpires protect their own kind, and they don't like being called out for incompetance or laziness. I always bring up this point, but in 2004 Ozzie was tossed after Carlos Lee was "caught stealing" even though the 2B didn't even make an attempt to tag him. Hunter Wendelstedt had taken a knee in a place where he couldn't even see the play, and made no attempt to move to actually get a good view. This lead to to a war of words in which 1)Ozzie lambasted Wendlestedt and Froemming, 2) Ozzie was suspeneded two games, 3)Wensdelstedt made up some stuff Ozzie supposedly said to make him look worse in the situation, 4)Ozzie called him a liar and was suspended for another game. For the rest of 2004 and parts of 2005 the Sox got royally ****ed by certain umpiring crews. It didn't matter that Wendelstedt's laziness blew the call, they were going to punish anybody who stood up to their right to do a half assed job.

This happens quite a bit with MLB umpires. They are often out of position to call a play and their conditioning seems to be a factor.

Bobby Thigpen
06-30-2010, 11:04 AM
I really doubt "conditioning" has a lot to do with it. It's not exactly like they're running across the field to get in position.

October26
06-30-2010, 11:14 AM
Disappointed that Ozzie was ejected from last night's game. Dumb umpire.

Was a nervous wreck watching the 8th and 9th innings. Glad the Sox won and that Gavin got the win. Gavin's pitched well for the Sox lately and finally has someting to show for it. Yay!

Keep the line moving with WINS, boys!:bandance:

khan
06-30-2010, 11:19 AM
It's not a matter of slights....its a matter of decisions on talent that hurt this ball club.

And look what we're going to have to do to get a LH bat on this team when we could have had one- currently sporting a 900+ OPS- for under $2 million without having to give up a player.
We know whose decision that was....probably the worst in a long line of bad decisions on talent.

This organization needs Torres and Hudson....the young pitching depth is nill. We don't need to give them away because of goofball decisions made in February that DHs need to play the field.

Guillen is a very good manager in many respects; but gosh, he's got his blind spots.

You're talking about that Jim Thome guy, right?

The guy with the 1.088 OPS vs. righties, right?

The guy who some stupid piece of **** said that "he couldn't find enough AB for him," right?

By the way, who was the ass-clown who came up with the stupid phrase, "The Minnesota Thomes?"

[Full disclosure: Kotsay's OPS vs. righties is a pedestrian .742.]

Mod Edit: Please tone down the rhetoric. Though you didn't actually cross the line of directly insulting another poster, you walked right up to it and toed it. Please don't test or push the rules like that. Thanks in advance.

russ99
06-30-2010, 12:13 PM
I want to see Dayan DHing today and Omar at third. No reason not to.

OK hear me out:

Quentin says being a DH messes up his hitting.
Pierre says being a DH messes up his hitting.
Dye doesn't want sign to be a DH - it messes up his hitting.
Dunn doesn't want to DH if traded, it messes up his hitting.

Why is Ozzie so wrong when he doesn't want Viciedo to DH? Agree, it can't hurt to try, but he has his reasons not to.

I'll totally agree with you on that. :D:

The guy isn't infallable, he makes mistakes. But he doesn't deserve some of the abuse he gets around here sometimes.

soltrain21
06-30-2010, 12:23 PM
OK hear me out:

Quentin says being a DH messes up his hitting.
Pierre says being a DH messes up his hitting.
Dye doesn't want sign to be a DH - it messes up his hitting.
Dunn doesn't want to DH if traded, it messes up his hitting.

Why is Ozzie so wrong when he doesn't want Viciedo to DH? Agree, it can't hurt to try, but he has his reasons not to.

I'll totally agree with you on that. :D:

The guy isn't infallable, he makes mistakes. But he doesn't deserve some of the abuse he gets around here sometimes.

Because Dayan isn't any of those guys and maybe, just maybe, it wouldn't mess up his hitting?

Didn't seem to mess up Big Frank, or Edgar Martinez, or Jim Thome. I can give a few examples, too. It's not that hard.

russ99
06-30-2010, 12:44 PM
Because Dayan isn't any of those guys and maybe, just maybe, it wouldn't mess up his hitting?

Didn't seem to mess up Big Frank, or Edgar Martinez, or Jim Thome. I can give a few examples, too. It's not that hard.

I see your point, but none of those guys started out as DH.

But yeah, it wouldn't hurt to give it him shot to see if he can handle it. But I doubt tonight vs. Greinke will be the time to try it.

soltrain21
06-30-2010, 12:57 PM
I see your point, but none of those guys started out as DH.

But yeah, it wouldn't hurt to give it him shot to see if he can handle it. But I doubt tonight vs. Greinke will be the time to try it.

He looked great last night going the other way and has quick hands through the zone. Let him play.

35th and Shields
06-30-2010, 12:59 PM
He looked great last night going the other way and has quick hands through the zone. Let him play.
Seriously, he almost had three hits. If Ozzie tries pulling the same "the pitchers too good" **** I don't even know what I'll do.

doublem23
06-30-2010, 01:07 PM
Seriously, he almost had three hits. If Ozzie tries pulling the same "the pitchers too good" **** I don't even know what I'll do.

Seriously, if you're going to shield him from good pitching, which Greinke has not been this year, what's the point of even bringing him up in the first place? Let him stay in Charlotte and he can be a AAA All-Star and mash away.

TDog
06-30-2010, 02:34 PM

Frank Thomas said he preferred to play first than DH. He said he was a better hitter when he was in the field. His defensive problems, particularly with his throwing, and Paul Konerko's superior defensive skills had designated hitting most of the time before a season-ending injury suffered on defense limited his time at first even more.

For his career played 341 more game as a designated hitter and hit 19 more home runs there than he did at first base. For his career he hit .337 as a first baseman and just .275 as a DH. That includes the end of his career with Toronto and Oakland when he was a designated hitter beyond the point when he should have been retired, but even in his should-have-been MVP season of 2000, he hit 12 home runs and batted .354 in 30 games as a DH and hit .321 with 30 home runs in 120 games as a DH. His slugging percentage in games as a first baseman was nearly 200 points higher.

I don't know if Viciedo wants to DH or would be comfortable at DH. One would guess he would prefer being a DH to sitting on the bench. I do know that he has only been a DH in three games in one full and one partial minor league seasons. He wasn't being groomed to be a DH. Right now, he is the backup third baseman. When Teahen comes back, he might be getting most of the DH starts because Vizquel's defense has been important to the White Sox playing so well in June.

Maybe Teahen and Viciedo will both get DH starts with one or the other occasionally spelling Vizquel, which could justify the White Sox carrying three third baseman, one of whom holds the major league record for most games played at shortstop, where he has won Gold Gloves, and two of whom are primarily hitters who play third. There would be four third basemen if you include the second baseman who got a crash minor league course in how to play the position to fill a need on the major league team.