PDA

View Full Version : Radio Broadcast

soxrme
06-29-2010, 02:18 PM
During Fridays game I switched over from the Score to WGN and to my surprise WGN was at least two pitches before the Score broadcast. What would cause this?

FielderJones
06-29-2010, 02:19 PM
Digital or analog radio?

Foulke You
06-29-2010, 02:34 PM
During Fridays game I switched over from the Score to WGN and to my surprise WGN was at least two pitches before the Score broadcast. What would cause this?
A five second delay is something that happened when the Sox shifted over to WSCR670. I used to listen to the AM1000 broadcasts on my pocket radio while at the ballpark for years but now I don't bring it with me because it is always at least 5 seconds behind what I'm actually seeing. The WGN feed is likely still live which explains the difference. I emailed the Sox one time and asked them why they changed it but didn't get a reply. I like the stronger signal that AM670 has but I do miss listening to the PBP while at the game. Perhaps Ranger can shed some light on this?

Iwritecode
06-29-2010, 03:00 PM
A five second delay is something that happened when the Sox shifted over to WSCR670. I used to listen to the AM1000 broadcasts on my pocket radio while at the ballpark for years but now I don't bring it with me because it is always at least 5 seconds behind what I'm actually seeing. The WGN feed is likely still live which explains the difference. I emailed the Sox one time and asked them why they changed it but didn't get a reply. I like the stronger signal that AM670 has but I do miss listening to the PBP while at the game. Perhaps Ranger can shed some light on this?

It was more than 5 seconds. It was a good 15-20 seconds.

eriqjaffe
06-29-2010, 03:08 PM
It was more than 5 seconds. It was a good 15-20 seconds."

I had WSCR and the ESPN GameCast both going, and things were showing up on the GameCast before I heard the call, which was surprising.

kba
06-29-2010, 03:22 PM
There are several possible reasons for the delay:

If you're listening to an HD signal on a digital radio, an 8 second delay is inherent in the digital technology. And some stations also are now delaying their analog signal 8 seconds so that it's not as jarring to the listener as the radio automatically switches from analog to digital mode.

Independent of that, many radio stations are running all of their programming - even "live" sports - on a delay so that they can bleep out any profanity that might otherwise go out over the air (a fan screaming into a crowd mic or an announcer or interview guest who lets something slip out). The FCC has taken a hard line on so-called "fleeting expletives" in recent years, and the Supreme Court has backed the FCC.

Some stadiums have installed low-power FM radio transmitters so fans can listen to the actual live play-by-play feed with no delay:

http://www.livesportsradio.com/?DB_OEM_ID=5200

tony1972
06-29-2010, 05:18 PM
It has to be much more than 15 seconds...Farmer just announced that Jim Thome hit a walk off homer for a White Sox winner...:scratch:

Rohan
06-29-2010, 05:30 PM
It has to be much more than 15 seconds...Farmer just announced that Jim Thome hit a walk off homer for a White Sox winner...:scratch:

:kneeslap:

chisoxfanatic
06-29-2010, 05:56 PM
My satellite dish has the same problem, at least with FOX 32. Whenever I watch games on FOX and the Sox hit a home run at home, I can hear the fireworks before seeing the home run on TV. This just happened last Saturday with Paulie's home run.

TornLabrum
06-29-2010, 06:16 PM
My satellite dish has the same problem, at least with FOX 32. Whenever I watch games on FOX and the Sox hit a home run at home, I can hear the fireworks before seeing the home run on TV. This just happened last Saturday with Paulie's home run.

The transmission has to go through wires to a satellite dish, up to a satellite, down to a satellite receiver and through wires to your set. The speed of light is not infinite, and the transmission through wires is a lot slower than that.

WhiteSox5187
06-29-2010, 07:00 PM

I think that always happens, I think TV has a delay. I don't have a dish, but I always hear the fireworks before I see it on TV.

Brian26
06-29-2010, 07:05 PM
We're talking about two different things: tv and radio.

Directv and Dish absolutely have a delay. Radio SHOULD NOT have a delay at all. If WSCR isn't turning off their seven-second delay (which is only for phone calls), that's a huge boneheaded move. The radio call should be live for the people who still enjoy taking their radio to the park.

Ranger
06-29-2010, 07:40 PM

There are several possible reasons for the delay:

If you're listening to an HD signal on a digital radio, an 8 second delay is inherent in the digital technology. And some stations also are now delaying their analog signal 8 seconds so that it's not as jarring to the listener as the radio automatically switches from analog to digital mode.

Independent of that, many radio stations are running all of their programming - even "live" sports - on a delay so that they can bleep out any profanity that might otherwise go out over the air (a fan screaming into a crowd mic or an announcer or interview guest who lets something slip out). The FCC has taken a hard line on so-called "fleeting expletives" in recent years, and the Supreme Court has backed the FCC.

Some stadiums have installed low-power FM radio transmitters so fans can listen to the actual live play-by-play feed with no delay:

http://www.livesportsradio.com/?DB_OEM_ID=5200

There are certainly complications now with HD signals. But the decision was made to put the broadcast on delay, in part because the intent is to match the signal for those watching on television should they choose to listen to us and turn the sound down on TV. The other part is that stations are encouraged to put all programming on delay (including play-by-play) nowadays because of the whole ridiculous Janet Jackson thing. The FCC had a lot of stations pretty frightened for a while.

The problem now, though, is that the TV broadcast is always different depending on what your provider is: cable or dish. Some are faster than others, so it's difficult for us to match it exactly to what everyone is watching.

tony1972
06-29-2010, 07:44 PM
I think it's Greg Walker's fault!:angry:

tebman
06-29-2010, 09:26 PM
There are certainly complications now with HD signals. But the decision was made to put the broadcast on delay, in part because the intent is to match the signal for those watching on television should they choose to listen to us and turn the sound down on TV. The other part is that stations are encouraged to put all programming on delay (including play-by-play) nowadays because of the whole ridiculous Janet Jackson thing. The FCC had a lot of stations pretty frightened for a while.

The problem now, though, is that the TV broadcast is always different depending on what your provider is: cable or dish. Some are faster than others, so it's difficult for us to match it exactly to what everyone is watching.

Ranger, please ask your superior officers at WSCR to pull out the HD Radio box and throw it away. Besides the annoying eight seconds of delay it adds to the audio, it makes everything sound worse with a background hiss and a further limited analog bandwidth. The six people in a five-state area who actually have an "HD" radio aren't worth it.

TheCommander
06-29-2010, 09:32 PM

If you have a DVR you can pause the tv broadcast and sync it up with the radio. :bandance:

SephClone89
06-29-2010, 09:37 PM
The radio is always behind my (non-HD) TV now.

Ranger
06-29-2010, 09:37 PM
Ranger, please ask your superior officers at WSCR to pull out the HD Radio box and throw it away. Besides the annoying eight seconds of delay it adds to the audio, it makes everything sound worse with a background hiss and a further limited analog bandwidth. The six people in a five-state area who actually have an "HD" radio aren't worth it.

I don't notice any hiss when I listen. Maybe it's your radio.

The HD thing isn't going away.

DumpJerry
06-29-2010, 09:55 PM

The transmission has to go through wires to a satellite dish, up to a satellite, down to a satellite receiver and through wires to your set. The speed of light is not infinite, and the transmission through wires is a lot slower than that.

Concast HD is about three seconds behind Concast standard for all programming.

Foulke You
07-01-2010, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the explanation Ranger. I had thought that this might be the case. As a previous poster pointed out, it would be cool if the Sox had a low level signal at the ballpark for people who still want to bring their radios to the game. I realize that decision is not yours to make though.