PDA

View Full Version : AJ and Equipment

BRDSR
06-28-2010, 05:23 PM
I love AJ. He's the only player whose authentic jersey I have. But he has a very unhealthy relationship with his equipment, and it's starting to bother me. Almost invariably when he performs poorly at the plate he either 1) chucks or slams the equipment (bat or helmet) to the ground, often resulting in a broken bat, or 2) carries his bat halfway to first on a groundball or popup.

AJ, the behavior doesn't make me think you care more about performing well or winning. I know you care. And nobody can run faster with a bat in their hands than without a bat in their hands. Drop the bat and get on down the line.

Ron Karkovice
06-28-2010, 06:49 PM
I love AJ. He's the only player whose authentic jersey I have. But he has a very unhealthy relationship with his equipment, and it's starting to bother me. Almost invariably when he performs poorly at the plate he either 1) chucks or slams the equipment (bat or helmet) to the ground, often resulting in a broken bat, or 2) carries his bat halfway to first on a groundball or popup.

AJ, the behavior doesn't make me think you care more about performing well or winning. I know you care. And nobody can run faster with a bat in their hands than without a bat in their hands. Drop the bat and get on down the line.

Why didn't it bother you the past 4 years before this one? I'm not defending when he does that but like Big Z being a bad teammate, AJ will always throw equipment from time to time. As long as he keeps doing a quality job in handling the pitching staff, I don't have too much of an issue with it. It does make him look dumb usually though.

grenda12
06-28-2010, 07:06 PM
I have many game used items from AJ that show use of being thrown or slammed against something.

Dibbs
06-28-2010, 08:08 PM
I can't stand it either. You don't like to strike out tough guy? How about stop breaking your bat, and just hit the ball next time.

Brian26
06-28-2010, 08:13 PM
I have many game used items from AJ that show use of being thrown or slammed against something.

I have a perfect game used bat from AJ. He must have hit a home run with it.

Ron Karkovice
06-28-2010, 08:29 PM
I have more AJ game used items than everyone here combined!

Madvora
06-28-2010, 08:49 PM
I've actually noticed AJ acting a lot like a baby this year. It's a little embarrassing and he just makes himself look ridiculous. Ozzie should tell him to knock it off and stop acting like a child.

TheCommander
06-28-2010, 08:50 PM
I've actually noticed AJ acting a lot like a baby this year. It's a little embarrassing and he just makes himself look ridiculous. Ozzie should tell him to knock it off and stop acting like a child.

This.

Hartman
06-28-2010, 09:25 PM
That's the kind of behavior that Ozzie likes. When asked about the Zambrano situation, Ozzie even admitted that he would like it if it happened in his dugout.

DirtySox
06-28-2010, 09:31 PM

Agreed. Temper tantrums aren't a good look.

LoveYourSuit
06-28-2010, 09:39 PM

+1

His act has grown old.

I wish we had a replacement but sadly I don't think Flowers is ready.

grenda12
06-28-2010, 09:41 PM

What do you have?

DirtySox
06-28-2010, 09:42 PM
+1

I wish we had a replacement but sadly I don't think Flowers is ready.

Yep. It's unfortunate. I don't know if Flowers is or ever will be the answer, but I will be very pleased if the organization lets AJ walk.

kaufsox
06-28-2010, 10:56 PM

You've handled AJ's equipment?

Sorry. I'll let myself out.:redface:

hi im skot
06-28-2010, 11:00 PM
i have more aj game used items than everyone here combined!

cool!

GoGoCrede
06-28-2010, 11:09 PM

I've noticed it too. It's beyond tired. I can't think of any other player currently on the team who does it as much.

Dibbs
06-29-2010, 12:01 AM
I've noticed it too. It's beyond tired. I can't think of any other player currently on the team who does it as much.

I can't think of any other player in MLB that acts like that. I'm embarrassed for him when he pulls that crap. The best hitters in the league don't get a hit 70% of the time. Be professional about it, and get them next time at the plate.

BringHomeDaBacon
06-29-2010, 12:08 AM

You have more AJ game used items than everyone here combined?

"We're happy for ya!"

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-29-2010, 12:08 AM
Personally I like what I see from him. It shows he cares. It's better than him causing problems with other players or teammates.

hi im skot
06-29-2010, 12:14 AM

"We're happy for ya!"

aF8wLg5Asgo

"And I'm better than you, brainiac!"

hawkjt
06-29-2010, 12:27 AM
He is beyond frustrated this year...probably his worst year at the plate in his career. No excuse, and while it is not good ,it still aint a hanging offense...certainly not ready to write him off due to it. Just wish he would get on a hot streak at the plate. And his catching is as good as ever.

Ron Karkovice
06-29-2010, 12:38 AM

"We're happy for ya!"

The trend of this thread early on was going the way of people explaining what cool AJ items they owned so I thought I'd jokingly say that^^ I PROMISE I'll use teal next time!!!!!!!!!!!!!:gulp:

TheOldRoman
06-29-2010, 10:03 AM
I've actually noticed AJ acting a lot like a baby this year. It's a little embarrassing and he just makes himself look ridiculous. Ozzie should tell him to knock it off and stop acting like a child.I agree. And more importantly than it being childish, he could get thrown out of the game for slamming his bat/helmet down. If he is so pissed off, why did he AGAIN swing at a bad first pitch and ground into a doule play? Seriously? I don't think anyone in baseball has killed more rallies than him this year, yet he just can't wait for the pitcher to throw a good ****ing pitch.

october23sp
06-29-2010, 10:20 AM
aF8wLg5Asgo

"And I'm better than you, brainiac!"

Love that show. The change sketch in the very first episode is my favorite.

BRDSR
06-29-2010, 10:22 AM
I agree. And more importantly than it being childish, he could get thrown out of the game for slamming his bat/helmet down. If he is so pissed off, why did he AGAIN swing at a bad first pitch and ground into a doule play? Seriously? I don't think anyone in baseball has killed more rallies than him this year, yet he just can't wait for the pitcher to throw a good ****ing pitch.

This is the important part. If any part of his equipment ever touches an ump (most likely being the helmet chucked at the ground bouncing and hitting the first base ump), he's looking at a game or two suspension and national attention, not about how he's a "pesky" player, but how he's a "dirty, whiney" player.

delben91
06-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Yep. It's unfortunate. I don't know if Flowers is or ever will be the answer, but I will be very pleased if the organization lets AJ walk.

I'd want there to be a replacement in mind if they let him walk. Don't want to end up with Ramon Castro catching 130+ games by default.

HomeFish
06-29-2010, 01:43 PM
I throw things when he strikes out too. Not gonna hold that against him.

october23sp
06-29-2010, 02:11 PM
I throw things when he strikes out too. Not gonna hold that against him.

When he struck out in the 2005 ALCS, I had a small wiffle type bat in my hand and when he swung and missed in the dirt I hit an empty popcan across my basement, when I went over to pick it up I missed him running to first and being safe.

TheOldRoman
06-29-2010, 02:13 PM
I throw things when he strikes out too. Not gonna hold that against him.Yes, he is very frustrating. Especially when he is struggling. I thought Ozzie should have pinch hit for him yesterday in the 9th. I envisioned another first pitch taylor-made DP ball to end the game. He ended up walking, and of course Kotsay and Ramirez brought the fail.

BRDSR
06-29-2010, 03:16 PM
When he struck out in the 2005 ALCS, I had a small wiffle type bat in my hand and when he swung and missed in the dirt I hit an empty popcan across my basement, when I went over to pick it up I missed him running to first and being safe.

Don't feel bad...I was in the stands and missed it. He swung and missed, and I clenched my fists and raised them to the sky, as if to ask "WHY GOD?!?!?!" By the time my eyes returned to the field both teams were trying to figure out why AJ was safe at first. I think only AJ and the home plate umpire knew.

FielderJones
06-29-2010, 03:22 PM
Yes, he is very frustrating. Especially when he is struggling. I thought Ozzie should have pinch hit for him yesterday in the 9th. I envisioned another first pitch taylor-made DP ball to end the game. He ended up walking, and of course Kotsay and Ramirez brought the fail.

Actually he was hit by a pitch. And it was done in a savvy way to look like he was trying to get out of the way while not getting out of the way. Yes, AJ is frustrating when he's in a slump, but he's still one of the smartest players in baseball.