PDA

View Full Version : BJ Upton=no hustle.

LITTLE NELL
06-28-2010, 06:37 AM
In yesterdays Rays-Arizona game Longoria and Upton had a skirmish after Upton failed to hustle after a ball that was hit into the left center field gap. Upton was benched 3 times in 09 for lack of hustle so it looks like he hasn't learned his lesson.
There was some talk in this forum in the winter about the Sox trying to get this guy in a trade, I said it then and I'll say it again...NO WAY.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/jun/27/271625/diamondbacks-vs-rays-live-game-updates/

HomeFish
06-28-2010, 06:39 AM
I'd rather have a player who hits consistently but doesn't hustle to a player who hustles but doesn't hit consistently.

I thought we learned the folly of relying on talentless "grinders"?

LITTLE NELL
06-28-2010, 06:46 AM
I'd rather have a player who hits consistently but doesn't hustle to a player who hustles but doesn't hit consistently.

Upton is anything but a consistant hitter.
The Sox had a guy like him back in the late 70s, Claudell Washington, he had much more talent than Upton but was booed out of Chicago for lack of hustle and lackadasical play.

Boondock Saint
06-28-2010, 07:38 AM

You say it like those are the only two options.

doublem23
06-28-2010, 08:42 AM

Upton is having another awful season. After posting .241/.313/.373 slash last season he's having himself a .222/.318/.392 year. Those kind of numbers don't buy you the luxury to dog it on the field. I've got no problem dealing with moodiness or laziness for talent, but you can't be a lazy ******* and a ****ty baseball player.

harwar
06-28-2010, 09:18 AM
In yesterdays Rays-Arizona game Longoria and Upton had a skirmish after Upton failed to hustle after a ball that was hit into the left center field gap. Upton was benched 3 times in 09 for lack of hustle so it looks like he hasn't learned his lesson.
There was some talk in this forum in the winter about the Sox trying to get this guy in a trade, I said it then and I'll say it again...NO WAY.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/jun/27/271625/diamondbacks-vs-rays-live-game-updates/

and this is just one example .. i've seen him do this quite a few times this year .. so much talent but i fear he has emotional problems

october23sp
06-28-2010, 09:19 AM
No matter what happens to the Sox, I never want them fighting each other.

Irishsox1
06-28-2010, 10:33 AM
Upton has shown time after time that he's talented but has a bad attitude.

SaltyPretzel
06-28-2010, 10:34 AM
Upton is anything but a consistant hitter.
The Sox had a guy like him back in the late 70s, Claudell Washington, he had much more talent than Upton but was booed out of Chicago for lack of hustle and lackadasical play.

I remember the "Washington Slept Here" banner in right field.

goon
06-28-2010, 11:00 AM

All players don't fit into those two categories.

LITTLE NELL
06-28-2010, 12:40 PM

I never booed a Sox player but I came close with Washington on more than one occasion.

soxinem1
06-28-2010, 02:18 PM

+1, as previously noted.

downstairs
06-28-2010, 03:25 PM

I never heard of that- that is hilarious! Does anyone have a pic?

TDog
06-28-2010, 04:09 PM
B.J. Upton can put together a good highlight reel, but overall he hasn't been much of a baseball player since the 2008 postseason.

I really don't understand why people are so enamoured with him.

Red Barchetta
06-28-2010, 04:27 PM
Rays and Cubs should work out a Problem Child trade...

Jpgr91
06-29-2010, 12:36 AM
B.J. Upton can put together a good highlight reel, but overall he hasn't been much of a baseball player since the 2008 postseason.

I really don't understand why people are so enamoured with him.

If he put it all together he would easily be one of the best players in baseball. Too bad he is never going to figure it out.

asindc
06-29-2010, 09:38 AM

A player with exceptional talent who does not play hard usually ends up giving you similar production as a guy who is much less talented but plays as hard as he can.

Slappy
06-29-2010, 05:11 PM

LOL. Dude is a prima donna. I guess stats aren't your thing, though.