PDA

View Full Version : You're the GM Scenarios

soxfanreggie
06-27-2010, 07:32 PM
WSI folks, pretend JR is having you fill in for Kenny and he gives you two tasks:

1.). identify an "attainable" player (or a couple) that the Sox can trade for in order to help on our playoff run. What are your reasons for bringing that player aboard (ex. We need another lefty arm in the pen)? What do you think it will take to acquire that player?

2.). What do we do about PK who will be a FA after this season. Would you offer him a new contract? If so, what would your proposal be to his agent?

Bobby Thigpen
06-27-2010, 08:07 PM
1. Adam Dunn- need a big left bat to bump out Kotsay. I have no idea if he's available or what it'd take to get him. This is Washington we're talking about here.
2. Resign him before the end of the season for a decent hometown "retire with the Sox" type deal or let him walk if he wants a bunch of money. I think Paulie may go for the first option, but if he wants to make mega $$ it's time to let him go.

Domeshot17
06-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Adam Dunn is unrealistic. He is a type A free agent, which means one of Hudson-Flowers or Mitchell.

Give me Adam Laroche. Solid 2nd half performer, lefty bat, hits for power, we are probably talking an .850 OPS in our ball park if not better. He can handle first and I believe the Corner OF spot. He would cost less to acquire than Dunn.

My dream scenerio is trading for Prince Fielder. I would surely give up Hudson and Flowers for him.

Either way I resign Konerko and transition him over to DH as the years go on. I would basically offer him a 2 year, 10 per deal with a 3rd team mutual option.

soxfanreggie
06-27-2010, 08:20 PM
I would start with an offer to PK of: 2 years, $20 million with a club option for year 3 of 12 million ($1 mil buyout). The option would become a vested player option if PK finishes in the top 7 of MVP voting in year 1 or top 12 of year 2. He would also be eligible for the following performance bonuses:

Year 1 (only): $50k for each 500, 550, 600 PAs.
Year 2 (only): $100k for each 500, 550, 600 PAs.
Both: Award bonuses: $0.2M for MVP, $0.1M for WS MVP; $75k for LCS MVP; $50k for each MLB All Star, TSN All Star, Gold Glove, Silver Slugger.

Other perks for each year: suite on road, airfare for 4 to 10 road games, use of suite for 5 home games.

I would also throw in a personal services contract offer to be an ambassador for the Sox after he retires to where the Sox would provide PK with an annual stipend, as well as donations to a foundation in his honor, plus an allotment of tickets for his/his foundation's use.

PK turned down more lucrative offers to return to the Sox in 2006. As long as we make a fair offer to him, I believe he'll finish out his career here. If he wants to continue at $12M per year, then I would talk about deferring a large chunk of it over time.

soxfanreggie
06-27-2010, 08:26 PM
As far as trades go, I do believe Adam Dunn ends up somewhere outside of DC. Washington will add to their young talent pool by trading him, but I don't see the Sox being the team that offers the most for him.

Ozzie says he's fine not adding anyone (what manager in his shoes would actually name someone), but I don't believe that the Sox will stand pat: http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2010/06/sox_without_jenks_for_a_bit_an.html

As soon as the Sox make a move, that quote will go away and he'll be happy about adding a piece that will help the team win.

SoxSpeed22
06-27-2010, 08:41 PM
I would go with Miguel Tejada. He is hitting the ball pretty well, even if he's not hitting home runs. He will also give us more consistency at 3rd base whenever Vizquel needs a day off.
As far as Konerko goes, I would offer him 2 years/ $20 million with $12 million for 2011 and $8 million for 2012.

Crede24Thome25
06-27-2010, 08:45 PM
Adam Dunn is unrealistic. He is a type A free agent, which means one of Hudson-Flowers or Mitchell.

Give me Adam Laroche. Solid 2nd half performer, lefty bat, hits for power, we are probably talking an .850 OPS in our ball park if not better. He can handle first and I believe the Corner OF spot. He would cost less to acquire than Dunn.

My dream scenerio is trading for Prince Fielder. I would surely give up Hudson and Flowers for him.

Either way I resign Konerko and transition him over to DH as the years go on. I would basically offer him a 2 year, 10 per deal with a 3rd team mutual option.
You could be my GM any day. Exact samething I was cooking up:D:

balke
06-27-2010, 08:45 PM
I personally would like to see the Sox upgrade 3B/DH. Maybe the Cubs would listen to shed salary and get a cheap replacement in Teahan.

He hits lefties and righties well. He'd be expensive though. I just think he'd be a good fit. He can be replaced at 3B by Vizquel often if his D becomes a problem.

Otherwise: I'd wait til the deadline and see what Delgado looks like and if the Sox are still in the race. I think you also wait to see if a pitcher goes down to injury and see how good Sale looks.

Crede24Thome25
06-27-2010, 08:49 PM
I personally would like to see the Sox upgrade 3B/DH. Maybe the Cubs would listen to shed salary and get a cheap replacement in Teahan.

He hits lefties and righties well. He'd be expensive though. I just think he'd be a good fit. He can be replaced at 3B by Vizquel often if his D becomes a problem.

Otherwise: I'd wait til the deadline and see what Delgado looks like and if the Sox are still in the race. I think you also wait to see if a pitcher goes down to injury and see how good Sale looks.

I think Hendry is just dumb enough to do that, not saying its a dumb move just Hendry isn't that smart.

russ99
06-27-2010, 10:59 PM
1. Absolutely, we need a 2nd and/or 6th hitter. Not sure who's available yet.

Sounds like the Nats are keeping Dunn, so we'd likely need to look elsewhere. Berkman's owed too much, and he's got an option that would need to be bought out. Shot in the dark - Brian Roberts won't be back until the break, but I wonder if the O's would move him. He'd look real good at 2B/2nd in the order and Bacon would go back to third to stay, which really is the best solution to our 3B problems unless we can acquire a Scott Rolen like player.

I'd consider Hudson untouchable. Freddy's not going much longer and either Hudson or Sale will likely start next season.

I think Mitchell is a protected pick, so we can't deal him until after this season, and why would we... Morel and JoDanks would be moved only if the return was spectacular, like for Peavy last year.

But a combination of Flowers and mid level hitters and pitching prospects should be in play. Viciedo could also be moved, but he's got a high salary for a prospect.

2. That's up to Paul. If he wants a similar or greater salary as this year, no dice. If he'll take significantly less to come back, then he's ending his career here.

soxfanreggie
06-27-2010, 11:17 PM
2. That's up to Paul. If he wants a similar or greater salary as this year, no dice. If he'll take significantly less to come back, then he's ending his career here.

You could actually give him that salary but defer it to a level that is more amenable to our terms. He gets a "higher dollar" salary, but once the time value of money is taken into consideration, it wouldn't be that high.

For example, Pujols' $100 million deal is only worth $90.2 million, and Holliday's contract was for $120 million, but the present value is only $113.5 million.

Zakath
06-27-2010, 11:56 PM
1. Adam Dunn- need a big left bat to bump out Kotsay. I have no idea if he's available or what it'd take to get him. This is Washington we're talking about here.

You don't want Dunn. Way too many K's, and his numbers drop precipitously with runners on and especially w/RISP.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6763/situational;_ylt=Akagsdq2O_Zwj68LUtVr_i6FCLcF

2. Resign him before the end of the season for a decent hometown "retire with the Sox" type deal or let him walk if he wants a bunch of money. I think Paulie may go for the first option, but if he wants to make mega $$ it's time to let him go.

He's going to be 35 before the start of next year. Somehow I can't see him getting mega $$ on the open market.

Zisk77
06-28-2010, 12:03 AM
One small Geoff Blum style deal I might do is to acquire Okinori Iwamura for the pirates for a low level suspect. I believe it would be just a rental. He is having a bad year coming off injury. However his upside is good as he gets healthier. He would be insurance at 3b/2b and a lefty ph that can run. The pirates will want to shed salary and he would be an upgrade over Lilibridge...in fact we could give them Lilibridge for him.

I would try to acquire a big bat (preferably left handed) as the sellars become clear. Seems right now the list is:

Dunn
C. Lee
Berkman
Fielder?

I wonder if Kurt Suzuki would be available from the A's? Probably too much to give up for a backup backstop.

LoveYourSuit
06-28-2010, 12:05 AM

You can have all three.

06-28-2010, 12:13 AM
You can have all three.

Haha. For Adam Dunn?

PalehosePlanet
06-28-2010, 12:21 AM

Agreed. This is also the most realistic possibility because of KW's friendship and long trade history with Josh Byrnes. Off the top of my head I can think of four separate trades that we've made with the D'Backs in the last four years: Javy Vazquez, Cintron, Richar, and Quentin.

doublem23
06-28-2010, 12:33 AM
Haha. For Adam Dunn?

I would personally want to hang on to Mitchell, but if the Nats were willing to eat the rest of Dunn's contract, they can have our soon to be busts.

Foulke You
06-28-2010, 01:14 AM
I would go with Miguel Tejada. He is hitting the ball pretty well, even if he's not hitting home runs. He will also give us more consistency at 3rd base whenever Vizquel needs a day off.
I thought this deal makes sense as well. Kenny has been linked to Miguel Tejada deals in the past and it makes absolutely no sense for the O's to hang on to him. This move also gives you some "Beckham Insurance" in case Gordon doesn't turn it around. Tejada is hitting .284 with 5HRs and 29RBI which is pretty solid production. Tejada is also a career .294 hitter with RISP.

Foulke You
06-28-2010, 01:25 AM
Agreed. This is also the most realistic possibility because of KW's friendship and long trade history with Josh Byrnes. Off the top of my head I can think of four separate trades that we've made with the D'Backs in the last four years: Javy Vazquez, Cintron, Richar, and Quentin.
I'm not advocating this move but another team Kenny works with a lot is KC which begs the question: Would any of you want to add Jose Guillen to this team as a DH despite the fact that he is a complete jerk and a possible cancer? He is having a monster year in a total salary drive as he heads to free agency looking for a payday: .278 avg 13 HRs 46 RBIs

RCWHITESOX
06-28-2010, 01:25 AM
My first choice would be R Weeks 2B after that L Berkman or A La roach. For some more bench strength I would look into J Willingham and A Kearns.
As for Konerko I would like to see the Sox sign him to a fair for both sides 3 yr deal.
I would also hope they unload A Jones

balke
06-28-2010, 08:15 AM
If the Sox decide on a deal that would require Jenks Putz or another righty - I could see them going after Carrasco as well. Carrasco would have to agree to pitch in relief of course.

harwar
06-28-2010, 08:54 AM
i'd like to have shin soo choo in rf and make Carlos the DH .. he's cheap .. bats lefty .. doesn't strike out a lot .. will take a walk .. plays his position well and has a good arm .. if only he played on the royals and not the tribe since we seem to be able to get anyone we want from them .. also, i'm hoping that Mitchell is not touched .. i'm excited to see what he can do when he starts playing this fall ..

Lillian
06-28-2010, 09:26 AM
I continue to assert that the most glaring hole in this team is a potent left handed bat. Not only isn't there a single LH power hitter on the 40 man roster, but there really isn't one in the entire organization. This glaring deficiency has become even more apparent with Teahen's injury, although he really isn't that good to begin with.

It's important to have a least one LH threat because pitchers just get too comfortable facing one right handed hitter after another. Moreover, late in the game, this team's lineup doesn't force the opposing manager to make any lefty-righty match ups, unless of course there is a left handed starter. Does he really need to go to the bullpen to bring in a left handed reliever to face A.J., Kotsay, or Teahen?
It would be interesting to research how many teams have ever made it deep into the post season without at least one dangerous left handed hitter. I can't think of one, can you?

So, who is out there, and who could the Sox afford to give up in exchange?
Many of you have mentioned Dunn, Fielder, La Roche, Markakis, Shin-Soo Choo and A. Gonzales.
Perhaps K.W. should target a younger player who hasn't yet completely established himself, as the others would cost too much, both in players sacrificed and salary owed.
I mentioned Chris Davis some time ago, and I still think that he's a good candidate. Texas needs pitching, and Davis is blocked by Smoak at 1B.
They have Davis playing a lot of 3B at AAA. He had a great half season for the Rangers a couple of years ago, when he was just 22, and he's tearing up AAA this year. I understand that he has struggled a bit with his big swing, but he's young enough to make adjustments.

Perhaps the Sox could offer Garcia. He could help the Rangers rotation, and the Sox have Hudson to take Freddy's place as the 5th starter.

If Davis is not the answer, then I'd search for a similar young LH power hitter who could fill that void, not only this year, but for several years to come.

bestkosher
06-28-2010, 11:05 AM
Chris Davis for Garcia :scratch: I would expect a better return than that. Davis as you said is in AAA and stuck there to give away a starter for that well does not make sense to me.

Lillian
06-28-2010, 11:23 AM
Chris Davis for Garcia :scratch: I would expect a better return than that. Davis as you said is in AAA and stuck there to give away a starter for that well does not make sense to me.

Maybe Davis isn't the best young left handed hitter whom the Sox could find, but do you agree that trading Garcia to fill this need makes sense?

I'd personally rather trade Garcia who will be a free agent, than Hudson who could be in the rotation for a long time.

If you agree with this strategy, whom would you target?

bestkosher
06-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Trading Garcia is something I am leary of as scary as it sounds he has been one of our most consistent pitchers this year. I would look to trade Buerhle actually first. Being a lefty and having the some of the good history he does, I could see him moved to the NL. For who, well I would expect at least a major league talent back, a 3b replacement with a young prospect. Or a loogy reliever and a couple decent prospects.

Lillian
06-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Trading Garcia is something I am leary of as scary as it sounds he has been one of our most consistent pitchers this year. I would look to trade Buerhle actually first. Being a lefty and having the some of the good history he does, I could see him moved to the NL. For who, well I would expect at least a major league talent back, a 3b replacement with a young prospect. Or a loogy reliever and a couple decent prospects.

Yes, but then there is the contract issue. A team that would only want someone inexpensive, and only for the rest of this year, might prefer Garcia. However, I agree with you, and also would be willing to trade Buerhle, but only for a solid left handed, middle of the order bat.

doublem23
06-28-2010, 01:12 PM
Yes, but then there is the contract issue. A team that would only want someone inexpensive, and only for the rest of this year, might prefer Garcia. However, I agree with you, and also would be willing to trade Buerhle, but only for a solid left handed, middle of the order bat.

If we're going to be buyers this trade deadline, then trading away Major League talent is just a silly, silly idea.

Lillian
06-28-2010, 01:25 PM
If we're going to be buyers this trade deadline, then trading away Major League talent is just a silly, silly idea.

Is it fair to assume then that you would trade away Hudson and, or some other of the few good prospects this team has, in order to get that left handed bat?

soltrain21
06-28-2010, 01:59 PM
Is it fair to assume then that you would trade away Hudson and, or some other of the few good prospects this team has, in order to get that left handed bat?

That is what this team always done anyway. This year won't be any different.

Lillian
06-28-2010, 02:42 PM
That is what this team always done anyway. This year won't be any different.

That raises an interesting and fundamental question. Would it be better for the Sox to trade one of their pitchers, starter or reliever, in order to acquire a LH bat, or should they trade one or more of their best prospects?

The other question is which strategy would likely net the best player?

My feeling is that we have a very deep bullpen, and one extra starter with Hudson ready to contribute. Moreover, Sale is on his way. The Sox also used most of their top draft picks to acquire college pitchers. It seems like it might make sense to trade an established Major League pitcher from the Roster, rather than sacrifice any of the few good prospects in the organization.

Hitmen77
06-28-2010, 03:22 PM

This might be a fairly realistic goal. Laroche is no all-star, but he'd be adequate to fill the biggest hole in our lineup. Any thoughts on what the Sox might have to give up to get him?

By the way, according to Cot's, if he's traded the mutual option for 2011 in his contract jumps to $9.5 million ($1.5 million buy out). At that price, he'd likely just be a 2010 rental for us.

russ99
06-28-2010, 03:44 PM
This might be a fairly realistic goal. Laroche is no all-star, but he'd be adequate to fill the biggest hole in our lineup. Any thoughts on what the Sox might have to give up to get him?

By the way, according to Cot's, if he's traded the mutual option for 2011 in his contract jumps to $9.5 million ($1.5 million buy out). At that price, he'd likely just be a 2010 rental for us.

I don't know about LaRoche. He strikes out an awful lot without the power/OBP of a guy like Dunn. I'd rather the Sox go after a true power hitter if they need to spend that much in both salary and prospects.

Another concern is LaRoche playing for bad teams almost his entire career, since you really don't know what kind of player he is under pressure and in a pennant race. He did have a pretty good postseason for Atlanta in 2005.

Hitmen77
06-28-2010, 04:19 PM
I don't know about LaRoche. He strikes out an awful lot without the power/OBP of a guy like Dunn. I'd rather the Sox go after a true power hitter if they need to spend that much in both salary and prospects.

Another concern is LaRoche playing for bad teams almost his entire career, since you really don't know what kind of player he is under pressure and in a pennant race. He did have a pretty good postseason for Atlanta in 2005.

Oh, I agree that LaRoche is not the best hitter out there. I just think that someone of his caliber is a more realistic goal of the Sox than landing a better hitter.

I don't think salary is necessarily an issue since the Sox supposedly had something like $6 million to spend on Damon and would now only be paying for 1/2 a season's salary for someone. But, the more limiting factor for us is how many marketable prospects we have and how many we should give up. Dunn is an interesting case if he is a Type A free agent. That drives up his value somewhat, but also would put the Sox in line to get extra draft picks if he's just a rental for us.

stevemcstud
06-28-2010, 06:28 PM
1) If you can't get a power bat you go for Cliff Lee.

The point of baseball is to score more than others. If you can not acquire someone to raise your score you acquire someone to lower their score. You can move Freddy to the Pen and that will solve the problem of not having enough arms there bc Linebrink and Williams suck.

This will also give you the best front 3 in the playoffs of Lee, Peavy, and Buerhle.

To be honest I would rather have Dayan being the 9th person who plays DH/1B/3B and have Lee.

The bullpen would be soooo much better with Freddy, Putz, Thorton, Jenks being the top arms.

2) Resign Konerko to a 3yr/27MM deal.

Craig Grebeck
06-28-2010, 06:53 PM
1) If you can't get a power bat you go for Cliff Lee.

The point of baseball is to score more than others. If you can not acquire someone to raise your score you acquire someone to lower their score. You can move Freddy to the Pen and that will solve the problem of not having enough arms there bc Linebrink and Williams suck.

This will also give you the best front 3 in the playoffs of Lee, Peavy, and Buerhle.

To be honest I would rather have Dayan being the 9th person who plays DH/1B/3B and have Lee.

The bullpen would be soooo much better with Freddy, Putz, Thorton, Jenks being the top arms.

Konerko for three years and a blockbuster deal for Cliff Lee? Shoot me, God. Shoot me.

Zisk77
06-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Konerko for three years and a blockbuster deal for Cliff Lee? Shoot me, God. Shoot me.

Can I still shoot you even if I agree with you?:tongue:

munchman33
06-28-2010, 08:48 PM
You don't want Dunn. Way too many K's, and his numbers drop precipitously with runners on and especially w/RISP.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6763/situational;_ylt=Akagsdq2O_Zwj68LUtVr_i6FCLcF

He's going to be 35 before the start of next year. Somehow I can't see him getting mega $$ on the open market .

Even if he hits 40 homers?

Here's a nightmare scenerio - Cubs need a first basemen and are freeing up a ton of cash with D Lee a FA.

soxfanreggie
06-28-2010, 09:52 PM

I don't think we need to give PK anything more than a 2-year deal guaranteed. I think A the 3rd year is a club option that either gets picked up or gives him. buyout "going away" present.

As far as Freddy in the pen, how do you think he'd handle the transition. Are we moving a guy to the pen that has done well as a starter lately?

It might be easier to get a decent reliever before the trade deadline than trying to get someone like Cliff Floyd.

Hitmen77
06-28-2010, 10:37 PM
I can't find the link now, but I read today that Ozzie is still saying we don't need another bat in our lineup. :scratch:

Ugh, does he really think Kotsay is going to cut it?

A. Cavatica
06-28-2010, 10:59 PM
Chris Davis for Garcia

I was skimming this and read it as "Chili Davis".

Wouldn't put it past Kenny, not for a minute...

Foulke You
06-28-2010, 11:07 PM
i'd like to have shin soo choo in rf and make Carlos the DH .. he's cheap .. bats lefty .. doesn't strike out a lot .. will take a walk .. plays his position well and has a good arm .. if only he played on the royals and not the tribe since we seem to be able to get anyone we want from them .. also, i'm hoping that Mitchell is not touched .. i'm excited to see what he can do when he starts playing this fall ..
Shin Soo Choo would be ideal. He is the lefty power bat we desperately need and is a much better all around hitter than many of the other options suggested. I'm thinking it would take a King's ransom of prospects to pry him loose from the Tribe though. I thought they were going to move him last year and if memory serves, they were asking for too much. They'd probably ask for Beckham, Hudson, and at least one more.

Craig Grebeck
06-28-2010, 11:12 PM
Shin Soo Choo will not be traded inter-division.

If we're looking for lefty bats, look to Colorado. Street has been terrible and we've got a bullpen surplus. They've got a surplus of lefty bats. Voila.

asindc
06-28-2010, 11:13 PM

If we're looking for lefty bats, look to Colorado. Street has been terrible and we've got a bullpen surplus. They've got a surplus of lefty bats. Voila.

Exactly. Forget it.

PalehosePlanet
06-28-2010, 11:35 PM

If you're talking Seth Smith, then I'm in. Carlos Gonzalez and Hawpe would be too expensive, and I'm not too crazy about Hawpe. And, of course, Jason Giambi is a waste of space.

Foulke You
06-29-2010, 03:43 PM

It doesn't happen all the time but inter-division trades do happen. We just did one this offseason (Teahen for Getz and Fields). Aramis Ramirez was traded to the Cubs from the Pirates and so on. It's especially considered more acceptable when one of the teams is in rebuilding mode and completely out of the race. I agree that a Dunn or a Berkman are more likely candidates but I wouldn't completely rule it out.

TheOldRoman
06-29-2010, 04:15 PM
It doesn't happen all the time but inter-division trades do happen. We just did one this offseason (Teahen for Getz and Fields). Aramis Ramirez was traded to the Cubs from the Pirates and so on. It's especially considered more acceptable when one of the teams is in rebuilding mode and completely out of the race. I agree that a Dunn or a Berkman are more likely candidates but I wouldn't completely rule it out.I would rule it out because Choo is a much, much better player than Ramirez is/was at that point. As I remember, in 03 the book on Ramirez was that he played horrible defense, was lazy and underachieved. And now, well, he hits a little better. Pittsburgh also has sadly been a joke for the past 18 years, so you have to figure that in. The same with the Royals. Nobody who they trade is going to come back to haunt them. The Indians aren't going to give away players knowing they are getting nothing back, they are semi-competant and plan on competing soon. And why shouldn't they, they have the 2005 GM of the Year!

Sam Spade
06-30-2010, 12:42 AM
If Konerko keeps it up, someone is going to give him a three year deal. Cliff Lee makes absolutely no sense for this team. If you want a blockbuster deal, get some offense. Freddy Garcia in the pen? He has won 7 of his last 9 starts or there about.

stevemcstud
06-30-2010, 01:11 PM
If Konerko keeps it up, someone is going to give him a three year deal. Cliff Lee makes absolutely no sense for this team. If you want a blockbuster deal, get some offense. Freddy Garcia in the pen? He has won 7 of his last 9 starts or there about.

If you looked at it I started out saying if you can't get a big bat then go after Lee.

I dont think it is all that crazy though. I mean we have to start thinking about how we line up in the playoffs not just the division if we are serious about this.

Having Lee would give use without a doubt, no debates, no questions, the best front 3 and overall 5 in Baseball.

--------

That being said yes we do need offense far more than pitching.

--------

soxfanreggie
07-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Having Lee would give use without a doubt, no debates, no questions, the best front 3 and overall 5 in Baseball.

Unfortunately, getting that "best front 3" would cost us way too much of our payroll. I think right now our payroll could get a little bit bigger, but not enough to add him and still find a way to improve our offense.