PDA

View Full Version : Taking us to the break

Nelfox02
06-27-2010, 06:50 PM
Now that the sun has set on the amazing streak that has put us back into the race, I figure its a good time to take a look at the road leading to all the star break for us

3 at KC, 3 at Tx, 4 vs LAA, and finally 3 vs KC. My feeling is we can win (not sweep) both series with KC, try to find a way to split that LAA series, and I think we only get one at Tex That puts us at a solid 7-6 for this 13 game stretch. Not incredible, but not bad......hope I am being too conservative

Minn? Well the oppurtunity for us is that they will lock horns with Det 6 times before the break---3 vs Det, 4 with Rays, 3 at Tor, 3 at Det---I have a feeling they can take care of Det at home, split that Rays series, but drop the series at Tor and at Det....going 6-7

Detroit has a nice easy run vs Seattle and Baltimore (at home) in between those Min series.....I think they can win both of those series, despite Seattle's solid pitching......win one series and lose one series with Twins---puts them at 7-5.....

Just wondering what everyone is feeling on these next couple weeks----that Tex series frightens me on our schedule.....and LAA is playing better as of late

munchman33
06-27-2010, 06:52 PM
I think we're hot enough to roll passed KC the first time, and win the texas series. After that, we'll probably come back to earth a bit, split in LA and lose that second Royals series.

balke
06-27-2010, 06:55 PM
I think its time to start worrying more about Detroit. Minny is in a funk and Maggs is back this year.

Slappy
06-27-2010, 07:07 PM
I'm bracing for the worst on this road trip. That loss tonight just left a bad taste in my mouth.

GoGoCrede
06-27-2010, 07:09 PM
I'm bracing for the worst on this road trip. That loss tonight just left a bad taste in my mouth.

May I ask why? I didn't watch, but it seems like we still made it interesting in the 9th.

Nelfox02
06-27-2010, 07:09 PM
I think its time to start worrying more about Detroit. Minny is in a funk and Maggs is back this year.

The six games they have coming up together should tell a bit of the story---would like to see them split......

Hopefully the Sox can stay hot, at least hotter than I see them going. I have them winning this KC series but pitching match ups look tricky--tomorrow is a must win after that we get Bannister (who has been hittable this year but was great his last time out) and Greinke, who is not exactly light outs this season but still solid and has pitched well as of late.....

Slappy
06-27-2010, 07:20 PM
May I ask why? I didn't watch, but it seems like we still made it interesting in the 9th.

Sure. Mark Kotsay playing regularly, Omar Vizquel playing regularly, Gordon Beckham as our 2nd basemen, incosistent starting pitching.

If we keep relying on Konerko and Rios to bail us out, you're only going to get so far. Granted Quentin is coming around, but I'll have to see him sustain this before I jump up and praise Jesus.

Crede24Thome25
06-27-2010, 08:43 PM
You have nothing to be afraid of they have no pitching beside Verlander and Galarraga who we tend to beat on often. Their bullpen is quite questionable with the exception if valverde(zumaya who's injury prone won't make it a whole season). Their offense will soon be only Maggs, Miggy and Damon(Jackson and Boesch I have a feeling won't be hot forever)

balke
06-27-2010, 08:52 PM
You have nothing to be afraid of they have no pitching beside Verlander and Galarraga who we tend to beat on often. Their bullpen is quite questionable with the exception if valverde(zumaya who's injury prone won't make it a whole season). Their offense will soon be only Maggs, Miggy and Damon(Jackson and Boesch I have a feeling won't be hot forever)

If either of those teams gets Oswalt... gonna be a long 2nd half.

Hitmen77
06-27-2010, 10:13 PM
Interleague play gave us a HUGE "do over" on this season. Now we're only 1.5 out of 1st (and even league-wide we're only 5.5 back in the wild card standings).

Now comes the real test as we return to playing AL rivals. Will the Sox continue to rack up wins or will they revert back to struggling hitters and struggling pitching?

Starting pitching: Our 5-man rotation has been solid the last few weeks. They have the potential to keep it up. Will Buehrle and Peavy continue their rebound now that we're playing AL teams again?

Relief pitching: Jenks, Thornton, and Putz have been great. Santos is good and Pena is acceptable. So, we at least have some relievers that can nail down a win for us. Williams and Linebrink? :o: These guys are terrible and I only want to see them during blow out games. Could Chris Sales really make it up to the Sox down the stretch and be useful to us?

Lineup:
C: AJ's bat is coming around after a terrible start. Castro is a decent backup.
1B: Paulie is having an outstanding year so far. Can he keep it up down the stretch or will his production tail off like it did last year.
2B: Beckham has been a big worry for us this year. He had some big hits for us vs. the Cubs. Is he possibly turning things around? If so, that's a huge boost for us.
SS: Alexei has improved dramatically both offensively and defensively of late. Keep it up, Alexei!
3B: Vizquel has hit well and turned the defense around. How much can this 43 year old play down the stretch? What role will Viciedo and Teahen play?
LF: Pierre has played some good defense. He swings at everything, but his offense has improved over a dreadful start.
CF: Rios is having an All-Star season.
RF: Quentin's bat has come alive in the last couple of weeks. Before that, some people on WSI were suggesting the Sox should give up on him. Where does Carlos go from here? More like the 08 MVP-caliber Carlos or will he be hot-and-cold? If we're going to see '08 Carlos, then things are looking good for us.

DH: This is still the big hole in our lineup. Kotsay is NOT good enough to be a full time player. Jones doesn't even play anymore. Does Kenny get us another bat? What about Viciedo? Is he going to get a chance to see if his bat can help us or is he just going to ride the pine? Does Teahen settle into the DH role when he returns if KW doesn't add another bat?

whitesox4eva
06-27-2010, 11:06 PM
Sure. Mark Kotsay playing regularly, Omar Vizquel playing regularly, Gordon Beckham as our 2nd basemen, incosistent starting pitching.

If we keep relying on Konerko and Rios to bail us out, you're only going to get so far. Granted Quentin is coming around, but I'll have to see him sustain this before I jump up and praise Jesus.

Vizquel has been on fire, and during this streak our starting pitching has been AMAZING and I don't see any signs which would lead me to believe we will fall back down to earth. It seems like are pitchers have figured it out and we are hitting better now too. Just because we lost one game I don't think our winning streaks are over. Konerko, Alexei, Rios, Vizquel, and Quentin I all feel comfortable relying on at this point, I don't see Pierre or Beckham getting any worst, and believe they will turn it around soon, and I think AJ is just in a funk right now. No one on our team is perfect, but this streak makes me think we can pick each other up, meaning if one player isn't preforming one day another player will pick them up. This streak could have been one big fluke but I honestly don't think we win 11 games in a row on a lucky whim. We still have half a season to go but I am confident and I believe the white sox are too. Have confidence. :smile:

whitesox4eva
06-27-2010, 11:13 PM
Interleague play gave us a HUGE "do over" on this season. Now we're only 1.5 out of 1st (and even league-wide we're only 5.5 back in the wild card standings).

Now comes the real test as we return to playing AL rivals. Will the Sox continue to rack up wins or will they revert back to struggling hitters and struggling pitching?

Starting pitching: Our 5-man rotation has been solid the last few weeks. They have the potential to keep it up. Will Buehrle and Peavy continue their rebound now that we're playing AL teams again?

Relief pitching: Jenks, Thornton, and Putz have been great. Santos is good and Pena is acceptable. So, we at least have some relievers that can nail down a win for us. Williams and Linebrink? :o: These guys are terrible and I only want to see them during blow out games. Could Chris Sales really make it up to the Sox down the stretch and be useful to us?

Lineup:
C: AJ's bat is coming around after a terrible start. Castro is a decent backup.
1B: Paulie is having an outstanding year so far. Can he keep it up down the stretch or will his production tail off like it did last year.
2B: Beckham has been a big worry for us this year. He had some big hits for us vs. the Cubs. Is he possibly turning things around? If so, that's a huge boost for us.
SS: Alexei has improved dramatically both offensively and defensively of late. Keep it up, Alexei!
3B: Vizquel has hit well and turned the defense around. How much can this 43 year old play down the stretch? What role will Viciedo and Teahen play?
LF: Pierre has played some good defense. He swings at everything, but his offense has improved over a dreadful start.
CF: Rios is having an All-Star season.
RF: Quentin's bat has come alive in the last couple of weeks. Before that, some people on WSI were suggesting the Sox should give up on him. Where does Carlos go from here? More like the 08 MVP-caliber Carlos or will he be hot-and-cold? If we're going to see '08 Carlos, then things are looking good for us.

DH: This is still the big hole in our lineup. Kotsay is NOT good enough to be a full time player. Jones doesn't even play anymore. Does Kenny get us another bat? What about Viciedo? Is he going to get a chance to see if his bat can help us or is he just going to ride the pine? Does Teahen settle into the DH role when he returns if KW doesn't add another bat?

I think this needs to change. He may have hit a cold streak just before he was benched but I think that was just an isolated incident. He has what 10 HRs now? We need another power bat and I believe he can give us that, plus a .240-.250 average? I'd say if he can do that he will be a decent DH for us, not ideal but good enough.

Slappy
06-27-2010, 11:18 PM
via Jeff Passan Twitter:

Run differential, shmun differential: The Angels (42-35), White Sox (39-34) and Tigers (39-34) are all negative. All due for a correction.

-----------------------

So does this mean we are due for a correction in our record or run production?

JB98
06-27-2010, 11:37 PM
At the risk of sounding like Hawk, they've got to get Beckham going. Soon. Getting that kid to hit up to his capabilities would make a world of difference.

sox1970
06-27-2010, 11:39 PM
At the risk of sounding like Hawk, they've got to get Beckham going. Soon. Getting that kid to hit up to his capabilities would make a world of difference.

He did have a homer, triple, and double this weekend...plus a nice sac fly. It's a start.

JB98
06-27-2010, 11:40 PM
He did have a homer, triple, and double this weekend...plus a nice sac fly. It's a start.

Yes, hopefully he can get something sustained. He had a couple nice games in Pittsburgh, too, then slipped right back into some bad habits.

Rohan
06-28-2010, 12:44 AM

Omar Vizquel has been doing incredible for the last two weeks :?:
Gordon Beckham has been flashing leather at second base and shows signs of getting vision & power back at the plate.
And our starting pitching is far from inconsistent. You need to watch more games, man. And maybe swig a beer or two to get that taste out of your mouth.

Slappy
06-28-2010, 12:49 AM
I've probably watched 95 percent of the games this year.

Thanks for the beer tip.

Foulke You
06-28-2010, 01:02 AM
Yes, hopefully he can get something sustained. He had a couple nice games in Pittsburgh, too, then slipped right back into some bad habits.
That's been the rub with Beckham this year. He'll put together one or two good games and just when you think he turns the corner, he goes 0 for his next 10ABs with 6 Ks. Quentin seems to be back to his old self. If Beckham gets going a la 2009, Hawk is right, this could be a VERY good team.

As far as the schedule goes, I'd like to see the Sox fatten up some more on KC. Texas is playing just as hot as the Sox and we haven't played well at Arlington in recent years. A 4W-2L road trip would be very nice.

Foulke You
06-28-2010, 01:06 AM
If either of those teams gets Oswalt... gonna be a long 2nd half.
Even if the Tigers or Twins do add Oswalt, you are assuming that KW sits on his hands and makes no trades to improve the Sox. History suggests otherwise. Personally, I think this could be a 3 horse race down to the last 2 weeks of September. Should be an exciting Pennant race.

TDog
06-28-2010, 04:54 AM

Inconsistent starting pitching?

kufram
06-28-2010, 05:22 AM
With VERY consistent starting pitching (stalled only by John Danks last night), a very good 3 inning bullpen, stellar defense, and all the hitting required plus some coming around, there is no reason why we can't go on winning. Of course the team has to perform but I took great satisfaction with the response in the 9th last night.

One must remember that fans of Pittsburgh, Washington, Atlanta, and the Cubs were probably licking their lips and counting wins up when getting ready to face us on their schedule. instead they ran into a buzzsaw. Tonight's game at KC is the only one that is important right now.

harwar
06-28-2010, 09:03 AM
we got on a roll against the NL and now confidence is running high .. the team has positive momentum now and i fully expect to roll over the royals but i'm worried about going down to texas .. so hot and that team can really hit when they are playing at home .. the rangers series might be the one we lose .. looking forward to the angels .. i think that will be a good one .. let's roll ..

hawkjt
06-28-2010, 09:15 AM
I am worried about tonites game in KC. MB has been owned by KC of late.
They have seen him so much,they know exactly how to attack him, so be ready to see 12+ basehits,mainly to right field. KC is a very good hitting team,and are second in MLB in games with 15+ hits. They rake.

Sox are back in the AL where they are going to have to score 4+ runs a game to win. I am happy to be back in the race,but realistic enough to know that the AL is a tougher league.

I would take 7-6 in the next 13,no doubt. Angels and Texas are playing well and KC knows us too well.

russ99
06-28-2010, 10:13 AM
I think this needs to change. He may have hit a cold streak just before he was benched but I think that was just an isolated incident. He has what 10 HRs now? We need another power bat and I believe he can give us that, plus a .240-.250 average? I'd say if he can do that he will be a decent DH for us, not ideal but good enough.

I don't want to turn this into another insane Kotsay thread, but after Jones' solid at-bat in the 9th yesterday, I can see Ozzie going back to him a bit more.

The issue is that in his slump, his at-bats were horrible. With Kotsay, Ozzie knows he'll work the count and make contact, and he does give the Sox another lefty in the lineup.

As for Viciedo, Ozzie (smartly) has already said he's playing a position. Don't count on him DHing any time soon - he'll probably be at 3B. I can see Omar needing a break from time to time and Viciedo is already starting vs. lefties.

We're 33 days until the trade deadline, so I expect Kenny will get us another bat pretty soon if we can play .600 baseball until then. The key is the pitching. I'm confident we can score 4 runs a night unless going against an ace.

WisSoxFan
06-28-2010, 10:57 AM
via Jeff Passan Twitter:

Run differential, shmun differential: The Angels (42-35), White Sox (39-34) and Tigers (39-34) are all negative. All due for a correction.

-----------------------

So does this mean we are due for a correction in our record or run production?

I'm not sure I understand what he means either. Are the Sox, Tigers and Angels going to start losing games and have their records "correct" to their run differential or are they going to start scoring more runs and have their run differential "correct" to their record. Twitter - where half thoughts go to die.

doublem23
06-28-2010, 11:06 AM
I'm not sure I understand what he means either. Are the Sox, Tigers and Angels going to start losing games and have their records "correct" to their run differential or are they going to start scoring more runs and have their run differential "correct" to their record. Twitter - where half thoughts go to die.

It's generally accepted that teams regress to their run differntial. It's not a hard science and nobody thinks that RS/RA is a tell all, end all predictive stat, but generally speaking, run differential is at least as good as current record of telling you where a team is going.

WisSoxFan
06-28-2010, 12:53 PM
It's generally accepted that teams regress to their run differntial. It's not a hard science and nobody thinks that RS/RA is a tell all, end all predictive stat, but generally speaking, run differential is at least as good as current record of telling you where a team is going.

OK. Is it fair then to say he thinks those teams records will regress?

doublem23
06-28-2010, 12:57 PM
OK. Is it fair then to say he thinks those teams records will regress?

Sort of, when people discuss a team's record vs. run differential they are generally stating that they believe their record may be misleading and their run differential is more indicative of how good (or poor) a team is, though, like I said, it's not at all viewed as a hard science. I guess, at most, it's seen as a giant red flag. If you've got a team that 's over .500 but has allowed more runs than they've scored, that's obviously not a sustainable recipe for success.

TDog
06-28-2010, 01:58 PM
Sort of, when people discuss a team's record vs. run differential they are generally stating that they believe their record may be misleading and their run differential is more indicative of how good (or poor) a team is, though, like I said, it's not at all viewed as a hard science. I guess, at most, it's seen as a giant red flag. If you've got a team that 's over .500 but has allowed more runs than they've scored, that's obviously not a sustainable recipe for success.

There also is a belief that one-run wins will even out, in the following season if not the current season -- that is, a team that wins a lot of one-run games early in the season will see those wins diminish in August and September. Also, a team that wins a lot of one-run games one season will lose a lot of one-run games the next season. For example, the 1967 White Sox were 38-26 in one-run games, and the 1968 White Sox were 30-44. After the 1983 White Sox were 28-17 in one-run games, the 1984 White Sox were 17-32.

And some teams that are overachieving in the standings fall off most dramatically in their one-run games. The 1977 White Sox, for example, were 14-14 in one-run games in first place with a 5.5-game lead at the end of July, but they were 5-10 in one-run games the rest of the way, including August when they were 3-7.

Of course, such statistical analysis ignores personnel changes and injures, but so does run differential. At this point, you don't know if the 2010 White Sox have found it with superior pitching, even deeper than the 1983 team had, or they just had a great month. This White Sox team has scored fewer runs than they have allowed, but at this point you don't know if that is a function of starting pitchers getting off to a slow start. You don't know if this year's 15-8 record in one-run games will even out or if indeed the White Sox have the starters and bullpen to win one-run games consistently. Pitching is more important than offense in the mix. The recent winning streak started after a 1-0 loss, but that followed a 2-1 win. The winning streak also included shutouts of 1-0 and 2-0 (one of two shutouts started by Peavy) and included wins of 2-1 and 2-0 started by Floyd. If the pitching is this good, you have to consider that teams with strong pitching generally have more of an edge in September than they do in July and August (as demonstrated by the 1977 White Sox.

You can look at the numbers and guess where the team is going, but you won't know what numbers are trends and what numbers are anomalies until you look back on the season after it's over.

Slappy
06-28-2010, 03:27 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he meant we are due for some more losing of the games. I was being a smart ass.

All three of those teams RS and RA are extremely close, like a few off. I think in the Angels' and Tigers' case, it's their pitching that is giving them the most trouble. In the Sox' case, it's a bit of both.

Those stats obviously don't tell you everything, but that's the long and short of it.

Crede24Thome25
06-30-2010, 10:12 PM
Looks like you were right, our team is slowly getting back to where we started mediocre. I wish we really could switch the the N.L.