PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News - Darryl Kile found dead

Viva Magglio
06-22-2002, 02:33 PM
This is the kind of news none of us would ever want to report.

The Cubs-Cardinals game is being held up because Darryl Kile was found dead in his hotel room. Kile's death has been confirmed by the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office.

This information has been reported by WSCR-AM (670)'s George Ofman, Julie Swieca, and David Schuster at Wrigley Field. It would be the second tragedy to strike the St. Louis Cardinal organization this week with the passing of Jack Buck on Tuesday and today's horrible tragedy with Darryl Kile.

Update: The game is cancelled, but Kile's death has not been announced officially.

kevingrt
06-22-2002, 02:38 PM
This is completely crazy, I don't care what anybody says but the Cubs game being canceled is freakin scary, Darly Kile dead!!!!

CerberusWG
*Moment of Silence*

*Puts hat back on*

Bless ya, Darryl, bless ya man.

kevingrt
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
This is the kind of news none of us would ever want to report.

The Cubs-Cardinals game is being held up because Darryl Kile was found dead in his hotel room. Kile's death has been confirmed by the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office.

This information has been reported by WSCR-AM (670)'s George Ofman, Julie Swieca, and David Schuster at Wrigley Field. It would be the second tragedy to strike the St. Louis Cardinal organization this week with the passing of Jack Buck on Tuesday and today's horrible tragedy with Darryl Kile.

Update: The game is cancelled, but Kile's death has not been announced officially.

I was listening to it, OH MY GOD!!!!

Foulke You
06-22-2002, 02:41 PM
Wow! I wonder what the hell happened?!!! Brain Aneurysm or something?

RedPinStripes
06-22-2002, 02:43 PM
Damn that's a shame. I wonder what the hell happened? He has a wife and 3 kids if i'm not mistaken and only 33.

R.I.P. Daryl

Viva Magglio
06-22-2002, 02:43 PM
A major league ballplayer's death before a game is not without precedent. I don't know the exact year, but Carlifornia Angels were in Chicago for a weekend series. Angel Lymon Boston went to visit friends in Gary after the Saturday game and was shot dead. If I recall, the Sox and the Angles did play the Sunday game after Bostok's death.

Soxfan7070
06-22-2002, 02:45 PM
When I heard it, it sent a chill up my spine. He was a very talented pitcher and had many more good years in him. Hopefully there was no foul play in this...

kevingrt
06-22-2002, 02:45 PM
I feel sorry for Cub fans that listen to 720, they say they'll announce the matter at 3:10...

Dadawg_77
06-22-2002, 02:48 PM
An offical public announcement was delayed because they want to contact Kile's wife before they made the statment. Buck just made the announcement on Fox TV.

Viva Magglio
06-22-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
An offical public announcement was delayed because they want to contact Kile's wife before they made the statment. Buck just made the announcement on Fox TV.

You could hear the tremor in Joe Buck's voice and see the tears in his eyes when he made that announcement. After just burying his father yesterday and having to go through this tragedy today is too overwhelming for anybody.

kevingrt
06-22-2002, 02:53 PM
Not just Joe Buck, but anyone in the St. Louis Cardinal family...

Foulke You
06-22-2002, 02:54 PM
This is the type of thing that will either bring the Cardinals together or tear their season apart.

kevingrt
06-22-2002, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
This is the type of thing that will either bring the Cardinals together or tear their season apart.

Not only the Cards but other teammates might get a lift...

Bud Selig good move on canceling the gaem, your 1st ever Bud

Soxheads
06-22-2002, 02:58 PM
RIP Darryl

From ESPN.com (Updated 3:36 pm)

CHICAGO -- St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Darryl Kile was found dead in the team hotel Saturday, a spokesperson for the Cook County Medical Examiner's office said.

The spokesperson, who declined to give her name, did not provide information about the cause of death.

The Cardinals' game against the Chicago Cubs at Wrigley Field was called off. It will be made up sometime in August.

Joe Girardi, the Cubs' player representative, addressed the fans and told them the game was called because of a ``tragedy in the Cardinals' family.''

The death was the second in the Cardinals' organization this week.

Kile, 33, pitched the Cardinals into first place in the NL Central on Tuesday night, the same night longtime broadcaster Jack Buck died at 77 after a long illness.

Kile and his wife, Flynn, have 5-year-old twins, a boy and a girl, and a son who was born last August.

Several stunned players walked out of the Cardinals' clubhouse without comment soon after the game was called without comment.

Kile had the day off and was scheduled to start the final game of the series Sunday. He was 5-4 with a 3.72 ERA in 14 games this season.

Shortly before the game was supposed to start at 2:20 p.m. CT, Cardinals manager Tony La Russa came out of the dugout and walked across the field to meet with Cubs general manager Andy MacPhail and Girardi. Then all the Cubs came out of the dugout and got behind Girardi.

Speaking in front of the dugout on a microphone, Girardi told the crowd there had been a "tragedy'' and asked fans to pray for the Cardinals' family organization

La Russa, who'd earlier shaken hands with Cubs manager Don Baylor, walked back across the field.

The Cubs filed back into their dugout and down the steps into the clubhouse runway and then an official announcement was made in the press box that the game was off and will be made up later.

Kile had won three of his last four starts, and had a solid work ethic.

"Once you take the ball, you've got a job to do,'' he said after his last start.

Kile, who was 16-11 with a 3.09 ERA and threw 227 1/3 innings last year, had arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder during the offseason.

He pitched a no-hitter while with Houston in 1993 against the New York Mets. He was 133-119 in 11-plus major league seasons and known for an exceptional curveball.

Kile's best season was 2000, when he went 20-9 with a 3.91 ERA in his first year with St. Louis -- finishing fifth in NL Cy Young voting. He also helped St. Louis advance to the NL championship series against the Mets that season.

Kile was traded to St. Louis from Colorado, along with pitchers Dave Veres and Luther Hackman on Nov. 16, 1999, for pitchers Jose Jimenez, Manny Aybar and Rick Croushore and infielder Brent Butler.

A 30th-round pick of the Astros in 1987, Kile was called up to the majors in 1991 and went 7-11. He spent his first seven major league seasons with Houston, finishing fifth in NL Cy Young voting in 1997 after going 19-7 with a 2.57 ERA.

Kile signed with Colorado during the offseason and struggled in his two seasons with the Rockies. He led the league in losses with 17 in 1998 and was 21-30 with Colorado.

Viva Magglio
06-22-2002, 02:59 PM
It was Cubs catcher Joe Girardi who went onto the field and informed the people at Wrigley Field that the game has been cancelled. He did not tell the fans the reason for the game's cancellation except to say that "There has been a tragedy in the Cardinal family." His voice cracked as the silent crowd filed out of the ballpark.

kevingrt
06-22-2002, 03:03 PM
Even sadder, he was suppose to start tommorow, If Selig and the rest of baseball is smart they would cancel tommorow's game too

Jjav829
06-22-2002, 03:05 PM
This is horrible news. I was watching ESPN2 and the NHL draft when they broke into it with Breaking News. I was expecting an injuried big name baseball player or something. And I looked over and saw Daryl Kile 1968-2002 and my mouth dropped open. I sat there for minutes in complete shock not even knowing what to do. For it to even be a decision whether to cancel the game or not is ridiculous. There is no way that the Cardinals could handle playing a game today.

MarkEdward
06-22-2002, 03:07 PM
Everything seems so unimportant now: the games, the bickering between owners and players. My thoughts and prayers go out to Darryl Kile and his family.

HawkDJ
06-22-2002, 03:34 PM
Press conference scheduled for 4:00 central time.

Viva Magglio
06-22-2002, 03:58 PM
Reportedly, it was the Cubs Andy MacPhail who had to break the news of Darryl Kile's death to his Cardinal temmates. St. Louis GM Walt Jocketty was at the hotel where Kile died and called MacPhail at the ballpark.

WinningUgly!
06-22-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Everything seems so unimportant now: the games, the bickering between owners and players. My thoughts and prayers go out to Darryl Kile and his family.
ditto

WinningUgly!
06-22-2002, 04:07 PM
It was Cubs catcher Joe Girardi who went onto the field and informed the people at Wrigley Field that the game has been cancelled. He did not tell the fans the reason for the game's cancellation except to say that "There has been a tragedy in the Cardinal family." His voice cracked as the silent crowd filed out of the ballpark.

Just saw it...nice job by Girardi!

MattSharp
06-22-2002, 04:18 PM
My sympathies go out to those involved. I also like DK. He will be missed.....

Soxheads
06-22-2002, 04:21 PM
Police report he died in his sleep so I'd think it's probably a brain problem, but i'm no doctor.

Foulke You
06-22-2002, 04:37 PM
Here is the latest on the Kile story. This one is a little more detailed as to what happened but they still don't have a cause of death.

Kile story (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&ncid=716&e=2&u=/ap/20020622/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bbn_obit_kile)

Paulwny
06-22-2002, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
Even sadder, he was suppose to start tommorow, If Selig and the rest of baseball is smart they would cancel tommorow's game too

Nationally televised game tomorrow (ESPN), I doubt they'd cancel.

Spiff
06-22-2002, 06:43 PM
Could be anything depending on his family history.

TheBigHurt
06-22-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

Nationally televised game tomorrow (ESPN), I doubt they'd cancel.

yeah i dont think they'll cancel it either but they should

chisoxfanatic
06-23-2002, 12:24 AM

Seeing that on the news choked me up! My hopes are that the Cardinals win the division in the name of Kile and Buck...What a horrible week in the Cardinals family. My prayers are out to them!

Heather the Redbird

doublem23
06-23-2002, 01:06 AM
Sheesh, as much as I bad mouth some of our players every now and then, I can't even begin to imagine what it must feel like to know that one of them died.

Puts everything in perspective.

Soxheads
06-23-2002, 05:13 PM
From ESPN.com;

[QUOTE]CHICAGO -- St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Darryl Kile likely died from a blockage of a coronary artery, Cook County's chief medical examiner said Sunday.

Dr. Edmund Donoghue said initial findings of an autopsy showed Kile had ''80-to-90 percent narrowing of two of the three branches of the coronary artery.'' He said the blockage was the ''likely cause of death.''

Kile, 33, was found dead in the team hotel Saturday. Police said there were no signs of forced entry and no signs of foul play.

Donoghue said a final autopsy report could take from 4-to-6 weeks because he still wants to study the ''drug aspect.'' He gave no indication Sunday that drugs or illegal substances were involved in Kile's death.

''The complete results are pending,'' Donoghue said.

The condition, called coronary heherosclerosis, is commonly known as hardening of the arteries.

Kile's father died shortly after a heart attack in his mid-40s in 1993.

Dr. Jim Loomis, the Cardinals' assistant team physician, said Saturday that the 6-foot-5 pitcher had no known health problems and was not on medication.

About two hours before Saturday's game against the Cubs was scheduled to begin, Cardinals players realized Kile was not at the ballpark and called the hotel to ask that he be checked on.

Workers at the downtown Westin Hotel forced their way into Kile's 11th-floor room because of the safety latch on the door.

Saturday's game between the Cardinals and Chicago Cubs was postponed. Later that night, the Cardinals unanimously voted at a team meeting to play Sunday night in Kile's honor. Kile had been scheduled to start Sunday.

Kile's name and No. 57 were displayed on the marquee outside Wrigley Field and on the scoreboard inside the park Sunday.

The U.S. flag was at half-mast, and all music except the national anthem was canceled. There was to be a moment of silence for Kile before the national anthem.

There were to be no public address announcements during the game except for players coming to bat and lineup changes.

The Cubs also canceled usual festivities such as honorary first pitches and the traditional singing of ''Take Me Out to the Ball Game.''

HawkDJ
06-23-2002, 05:53 PM
I'm not sure if this was mentioned in the article above but marijuana was found in Kile's room. They say it had nothing to do with his death, however.

doublem23
06-24-2002, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
I'm not sure if this was mentioned in the article above but marijuana was found in Kile's room. They say it had nothing to do with his death, however.

Link? I'm not accusing you of lying, but without a link, this is nothing more than a rumor.

WinningUgly!
06-24-2002, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by doublem23

Link? I'm not accusing you of lying, but without a link, this is nothing more than a rumor.

The link posted by Soxheads above, used to have some info about the small amount of marijuana reportedly found in Kile's room. I see that ESPN has now edited all of that out.

doublem23
06-24-2002, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

The link posted by Soxheads above, used to have some info about the small amount of marijuana reportedly found in Kile's room. I see that ESPN has now edited all of that out.

Ah... yeah, I saw in the Parking Lot and saw Viva's link to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, so I'm all caught up.

rmusacch
06-24-2002, 08:44 AM

The horrible thing is that I heard that there were some morons that booed after Girardi made the announcement.