PDA

View Full Version : *Official* And the Chicago Cubs win the World Series 6/27 postgame thread

hi im skot
06-27-2010, 05:05 PM
A pretty amazing run for the Sox, and you've gotta love that they made it interesting at the end.

As Konerko mentioned in an interview recently, the key is to limit the rough patches to no more than a couple losses at a time.

Keep taking two out of three and life will be good.

Soxgirl22
06-27-2010, 05:06 PM
And hey, what a comeback. I like that they definitely did not give up.

Boondock Saint
06-27-2010, 05:07 PM
Can't be too mad when you're down 5 in the bottom of the 9th, and you bring the winning run to the plate against the other team's closer. Just shows that this team is still doing things right. New winning streak starts tomorrow.

KnightSox
The streak did not end quietly, great weekend!

delben91
John Danks = Loss Machine

whitesox4eva
I'm happy with the run we made, lets start another win streak tomorrow. :D:

Does suck though how the umps kinda ended the game early. :tongue:

manders_01
Not too shabby of a game. Got right back in it in the end there. Unfortunately the ump had dinner reservations and gave Marmol some strikes.

Feels great to have used this winning streak to our advantage and look forward to starting another long one tomorrow! :bandance:

SoxandtheCityTee
06-27-2010, 05:08 PM
What bar will the BP Cup be at tonight?

Boondock Saint

These kind of posts are so tired, teal or no teal.

whitesox4eva

:tealtutor:

:tongue:

LITTLE NELL
06-27-2010, 05:09 PM
No quit in our boys, umpiring was bad, that last AB by Rios the ump missed 2 so Rios had to swing. TCM was safe on the call at first.

sox1970
Twins and Tigers lost 2 of 3 this weekend. Sox went 2-1. Weekend was good. :shrug:

manders_01
Chisoxgirl is in trouble!!! Either that or someone didn't rant properly in the line up thread!!! :tongue:

Dibbs
06-27-2010, 05:10 PM
It stinks when the umps don't give you a chance to win the game. The streak had to end sooner or later though.

Now that all that's over, let's get Kotsay out of the lineup and look to trade for a real DH.

Coops4Aces
Wow the home plate ump decided he wanted to go home. That is a disgrace to the game right there. After the Det/Atl 9th inning yesterday, and today's 9th, when are we getting a computerized zone? :angry::angry::angry:

Shoeless_Jeff
The umpiring in this game was complete ****.

hi im skot
Wow the home plate ump decided he wanted to go home. That is a disgrace to the game right there. After the Det/Atl 9th inning yesterday, and today's 9th, when are we getting a computerized zone? :angry::angry::angry:

We don't have the technology.

ohthosechisox
At least they went out with a fight and lost on a day when the Twins lost too. Start a new winning streak tomorrow, boys!

Hitmen77
06-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Nice little comeback at the end. The ump didn't help with calling those pitches as strikes on Rios, but that happens.

I'm glad to see Beckham with a extra base hit 3 games in a row.

Our starters aren't going to be aces every single game from here on out. Danks had a bad outing - which he was probably due for.

I'm glad that this Crosstown silliness is over for the year. Now we get to hear the Cub fans crow about winning today even though we took 4 of 6 from them.

Viva Medias B's
06-27-2010, 05:12 PM
We can't complain. Our team brought the potential winning run to the plate. The Cubs may have won the battle, but they lost the war.

sox1970
06-27-2010, 05:12 PM
Chisoxgirl's fault. Let's face it.

Slappy
06-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Strike zone got continually worse as the game went on.

daydreamer05
The Cubs would end our win streak. :rolleyes: Nice run, though. Feels great to be playing meaningful baseball again. :D:

LITTLE NELL
Nice little comeback at the end. The ump didn't help with calling those pitches as strikes on Rios, but that happens.

I'm glad to see Beckham with a extra base hit 3 games in a row.

Our starters aren't going to be aces every single game from here on out. Danks had a bad outing - which he was probably due for.

I'm glad that this Crosstown silliness is over for the year. Now we get to hear the Cub fans crow about winning today even though we took 4 of 6 from them.

Just say "excuse me, who won the cup".

whitesox4eva
06-27-2010, 05:15 PM
We don't have the technology.

We have instant replay start using it when the managers request it. People aren't going to get stupid and start wanting replays on all balls and strikes just when the manager comes out and starts yelling say "Hey we can look at it on video over here and then make a proper call" but instead MLB has umpires with such large egos this will never happen.

whitesox4eva
06-27-2010, 05:17 PM
I'm pleased that the next series the tigers and twinkies play is against each other. No better situation there, we just have to win our games against the royals. :tongue:

Boondock Saint
06-27-2010, 05:19 PM
when are we getting a computerized zone? :angry::angry::angry:

Apples

We have instant replay

Oranges

PhillipsBubba
06-27-2010, 05:19 PM
No complaints here...let's see how the WS bounce back in KC, where they always struggle.

soltrain21
06-27-2010, 05:20 PM
Danks just didn't have it today. I hope we trade for another hitter sooner than later, though. Kotsay would look really nice coming off the bench.

BadBobbyJenks
06-27-2010, 05:21 PM
Not to go all Hawk here, but that ump completely changed the Rios at bat with two bogus strike calls in a row on a 2-0 count.

That said we didn't deserve t win today.

sox1970
06-27-2010, 05:22 PM
For the people that discount winning against the NL, the proof will be in the pudding the next 17 games. When they leave Minnesota in first place, that will shut people up.

chisoxfanatic
06-27-2010, 05:23 PM
We have instant replay start using it when the managers request it. People aren't going to get stupid and start wanting replays on all balls and strikes just when the manager comes out and starts yelling say "Hey we can look at it on video over here and then make a proper call" but instead MLB has umpires with such large egos this will never happen.
I've been calling for that for years. Screw the "human element." The goal should be to get the call right.

SoxFan1979
06-27-2010, 05:24 PM
What the heck 11 in a row. Lets go for another 11 Sox

Dan H
06-27-2010, 05:24 PM
I can only be so disappointed and in fact I'm not disappointed. The streak ended in dramatic fashion, and I never thought the Sox were completely out of it. The White Sox are going in a completely opposite direction than the Cubs. They can have their ivy and roof tops. I'd rather have a team that will provide us some hope. And by that I mean real hope, not some Hope Springs Eternal nonsense.

BoysMom3
06-27-2010, 05:26 PM
OMG!!! That was such an exciting ending!!!! I was thinking - hey, it was a great streak and high fives to my Cub friends. Then by the time we had 2 outs I was totally set on the possibility of winning again!!! Total nail biter, thought I was going to barf!!! When Rios struck out I yelled and fell on the floor like I was shot.

Super fun game. Imo, it's fine because by the time the game was over, the momentum was back for us, and we'll carry that into the next game.

SoxGirl4Life
06-27-2010, 05:29 PM
It was a good run! Proud of the boys! Lets start another streak tomorrow!

ChiSoxGirl
06-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Chisoxgirl is in trouble!!! Either that or someone didn't rant properly in the line up thread!!! :tongue:

:cower:

Chisoxgirl's fault. Let's face it.

If you think I'm proud to be showing my face in this thread -- or even on this website -- right now, you're mistaken. I take full responsibility for this afternoon's loss and the end of the best winning streak the Sox have put together in my lifetime. :whiner:

Rikirk
06-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Cubbies were tossed a bone,...I say let em have it.
Weve got bigger fish to fry.

LongLiveFisk
06-27-2010, 05:33 PM
I've been calling for that for years. Screw the "human element." The goal should be to get the call right.

I always felt that way too. Sure, umps are human (well, most of them anyway :wink:) but a player should not be penalized just because the guy making the call made a mistake.

whitesox4eva
06-27-2010, 05:35 PM
Apples

Oranges

Just because we don't have apple doesn't mean we can't use oranges is what I am saying, serves the same basic purpose.

Frater Perdurabo
06-27-2010, 05:35 PM
I had to watch the WGN feed and even the Cubs announcers both agreed that the first strike on Rios was a gift.

They also agreed that Alexei was safe.

They also said that while the Cubs are responsible for their lack of timely hitting, bullpen giving up runs, etc., that the biggest factor in their poor record has been that no calls have gone their way "until today."

:rolleyes:

Boondock Saint
06-27-2010, 05:37 PM
Just because we don't have apple doesn't mean we can't use oranges is what I am saying, serves the same basic purpose.

Instant replay is not infallible, especially when it comes to balls and strikes. Whatever camera you have on the plate is going to be looking on at an angle, and some balls are going to look like strikes, and some strikes are going to look like balls. It's not reliable.

whitesox4eva
06-27-2010, 05:37 PM

If you think I'm proud to be showing my face in this thread -- or even on this website -- right now, you're mistaken. I take full responsibility for this afternoon's loss and the end of the best winning streak the Sox have put together in my lifetime. :whiner:

lol We're family. :tongue: :grouphug:

whitesox4eva
06-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Instant replay is not infallible, especially when it comes to balls and strikes. Whatever camera you have on the plate is going to be looking on at an angle, and some balls are going to look like strikes, and some strikes are going to look like balls. It's not reliable.

Its not 100% reliable but it helps. Being able to slow something down to a frame by frame basis (24 frames per second), would be a big help I think. Either way, exciting end to a great streak, lets get em tomorrow. :D

sox1970
06-27-2010, 05:42 PM

It had to end sometime. Danks didn't have it today. Now, if they suck for the next two weeks, then we may have to revisit the rest of your summer schedule. :smile:

ChiSoxGirl
06-27-2010, 05:47 PM
lol We're family. :tongue: :grouphug:

It had to end sometime. Danks didn't have it today. Now, if they suck for the next two weeks, then we may have to revisit the rest of your summer schedule. :smile:

You know, I should at least be given credit for my 5-0 record out at the ballpark this season....

Frater Perdurabo
06-27-2010, 05:48 PM

The plate does not move. Either the ball is over the plate, or it is not over the plate. That can be determined by a single camera positioned directly above home plate.

Whether the ball is high or low is a completely different issue, because it depends on the height and stance of the hitter. Strangely, most umps seem to be more consistent with their high/low strike calls.

It's the lateral movement on which umps are notoriously inconsistent and often inaccurate, and that would be the easiest to judge electronically.

SoxGirl4Life
06-27-2010, 05:51 PM

awww... :giverose: We forgive you ;)

SOXSINCE'70
06-27-2010, 06:03 PM
Now we get to hear the Cub fans crow about winning today even though we took 4 of 6 from them.

Ask the assclowns which team is better positioned
to compete in their division. To cut a deficit from 9 1/2
games back to 2 (?) games back in under 20 days is impressive.

Time to start a new streak. Next 2 opponents (Royals and Rangers)
always play the Sox tough in their home parks.

thomas35forever
06-27-2010, 06:03 PM
Nice to see us put up a fight at the end, but there were just too many runs to make up.

I just wish the streak didn't end on a day I have to be on a sports talk radio show. That said, let's just start a new streak tomorrow.

EDIT: Suspicious that the guests outnumber the members in this thread. I suspect not all of them are Sox fans.

TDog
06-27-2010, 06:05 PM
Danks didn't give the White Sox much of a chance today. With the White Sox short on A pitchers in the bullpen, once the Sox were down three in the middle innings, they were in trouble. Giving Dempster a big lead also made it easier him to pitch successfully.

It's too bad such an impressive winning streak had to be bookended with losses to the Cubs.

Coops4Aces
06-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Doesn't MLB Gameday use a computer? That seems 100% accurate. And I know its extremely more accurate than the umpire, who can take over any game they want to. Bases loaded with Konerko up would have been fun.

manders_01
06-27-2010, 06:25 PM
You know, I should at least be given credit for my 5-0 record out at the ballpark this season....

In that case, don't go anywhere...just make sure you are at all the rest of the home games! :wink:

Shoeless
06-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Two weeks ago, I wouldn't think I would ever read a postgame thread after a loss where the feeling was somewhat lighthearted.

All I know is, I had a good time at the game, and I walked away with a pretty sweet jersey (they're so much better than the ones at Triple Threat, and only a little more expensive).

GoGoCrede
06-27-2010, 06:51 PM
Just got home from work, so I missed the whole thing. Oh, well. All good things must come to an end. They still won the series.

Question - I recorded this game. Are there any innings particularly worth watching? It kinda seems like we had a bit of a rally in the 9th.

P.S. I'm still clearing my calendar for October.

Shoeless
06-27-2010, 06:52 PM
Just got home from work, so I missed the whole thing. Oh, well. All good things must come to an end. They still won the series.

Question - I recorded this game. Are there any innings particularly worth watching? It kinda seems like we had a bit of a rally in the 9th.

The first and the ninth. In the middle Paulie does his thing.

Frankfan4life
06-27-2010, 07:04 PM
Thank you White Sox!!! Riding that 11-game win streak was a blast!

WhiteSox1989
06-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Can't be too disappointed here. They need to take 2 from KC.

Funny and oh so true title, by the way.

slavko
06-27-2010, 07:51 PM
Strike zone got continually worse as the game went on.

Exactly. He had an honest strike zone, maybe even a little tight at the start. The last out we all know about.

Not to go all Hawk here, but that ump completely changed the Rios at bat with two bogus strike calls in a row on a 2-0 count.

That said we didn't deserve t win today.

Not even close, those 2 pitches. Poor Alex struck out on ball 5 because he had to swing at it.

The plate does not move. Either the ball is over the plate, or it is not over the plate. That can be determined by a single camera positioned directly above home plate.

It's the lateral movement on which umps are notoriously inconsistent and often inaccurate, and that would be the easiest to judge electronically.

You couldn't have a camera above home plate because it would interfere with play. Two cameras outside the field of play and a computer would do the trick. Or....a camera below a transparent plastic home plate! Either way, the most important guy on the field is the home plate umpire and one of them stole Alex's wallet today.

JB98
06-27-2010, 07:55 PM
I'm really glad to see WSI remaining calm after a loss. Danks threw a few too many high changeups today, and it cost the game. The guys tried to battle back, but couldn't quite pull it off. Shake it off, go get 'em tomorrow.

Really good streak. We're back in the hunt now.

Johnny Mostil
06-27-2010, 07:56 PM
It's too bad such an impressive winning streak had to be bookended with losses to the Cubs.

Meh. So what? I can't bring myself to care much about bookends to an 11-game streak. or even the winner of the "other" game in a 15-for-16 string.

soxlady8
06-27-2010, 08:00 PM
sad to see the streak come to an end :(

I will never ever buy upper deck tickets to a Sox/Cubs game again.
There was a HUGE fight over by 509 and it was UGLY.
After the fight was done , beer was flying all over.
Maybe it was just my particular area, but it left me with an awful taste in my mouth.

I was also sad to see that Johnny Danks did not pitch well today.

Well let us get to KC and hopefully do well there!

Dick Allen
06-27-2010, 08:03 PM
It's a shame the Sox couldn't sweep those ******* since today's pitching matchup actually looked the most favorable of the three games. Danks has owned the cubs and the Sox have done well against Dempster. Ah well, take the series win and let's win a lot more.

october23sp
06-27-2010, 08:12 PM
Keep winning 2/3 and I'll be good.

BlackandWhiteSox
06-27-2010, 08:36 PM
When the Sox lost, the first thing I thought was "ChiSoxGirl is going to get it on WSI" :lol:. It's all good, I doubt anyone actually blames you and I'm sure you know that.

Anyway...what a terrible game. I could tell immediately that Danks didn't have his best stuff, I was just hoping he would battle it out and find a way to get a quality start. Unfortunately not, and JalaPeņa didn't help matters. The exchanges between Cubs and Sox fans around me were funny from time to time, but it went on almost the entire game and got old after awhile. I wish they could have cut the lead to 0.5 back, but I can't be disappointed in an 11-game winning streak. Things seem like they're on the right track, let's keep it going :smile:

TDog
06-27-2010, 08:59 PM
Meh. So what? I can't bring myself to care much about bookends to an 11-game streak. or even the winner of the "other" game in a 15-for-16 string.

For one thing, the Cubs are a team the White Sox probably should beat, although as badly as things are going for the Cubs, beating the White Sox gives them something extra to play for.

For another, fans take the games against the Cubs way too seriously.

On one hand, losing to National League teams doesn't hurt you as much as losing to American League teams because the NL teams don't compete with the Sox in the standings. But the White Sox were one of the few AL teams to dominate the NL. The Twins were 8-10 vs. the NL. The Sox picked up seven games to them in interleague play, and four to the Tigers, but it could have been more.

mcsoxfan
06-27-2010, 09:04 PM
Can't be too mad when you're down 5 in the bottom of the 9th, and you bring the winning run to the plate against the other team's closer. Just shows that this team is still doing things right. New winning streak starts tomorrow.

When a team has a winning streak of this length, they will win in every form imaginable. Today, was be to a game won on a walkoff. Unfortunately, the middle relief did not step today as this was their day to shine. Kenny needs to address this area as it is along with a strong left-hitting presence and a bonafide leadoff man are the only things possibly keeping the Sox from another title run. A huge break in the schedule allowed them the opportunity to get right off of very beatable teams. They might as well as take advantage of it and go for broke. Any AL team can beaten.

Dan H
06-27-2010, 09:43 PM

Maybe it was just my particular area, but it left me with an awful taste in my mouth.

I was also sad to see that Johnny Danks did not pitch well today.

Well let us get to KC and hopefully do well there!

I never go to Cubs-Sox games. As much as I want to see the Sox beat the Cubs, I think way too much are made over these six games. And if the White Sox go back to losing, the BP Cup won't mean anything, not that it means anything now anyway. What is this? Little League where everybody gets a trophy?

At least now we have some hope, and at least we are not a team that is an absolute joke. Hey Cub fans, have another beer. Meanwhile I hope Williams can pull off a trade but I have a strong feeling the Sox will need more than they have now.

soxinem1
06-27-2010, 09:56 PM

Unless it is a post season game I will not sit up in the 500 sections anymore for any series, and haven't in over ten years.

Hate to say it, but the drunks, swearing, fighting, threats, throwing things, etc. among the natives just ruins the experience.:o:

I still can't believe they let the crap that goes on up there go on. When I go to games that have a large contingent in those areas, it is just a matter of time when you see entire rows just stand up and turn around to see what is going on.:(:

TommyJohn
06-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Unless it is a post season game I will not sit up in the 500 sections anymore for any series, and haven't in over ten years.

Hate to say it, but the drunks, swearing, fighting, threats, throwing things, etc. among the natives just ruins the experience.:o:

I still can't believe they let the crap that goes on up there go on. When I go to games that have a large contingent in those areas, it is just a matter of time when you see entire rows just stand up and turn around to see what is going on.:(:I was in 552 today, and I was surprised how calm it was-some fans were chanting and cheering for the Cubs and no one bothered them-that is, until the 8th inning when some chuckleheads in 550 got into each other's faces. No punches were thrown, but some four letter rants were exchanged. Of course, by that time, all involved were pretty well-oiled. I expressed surprise to my friend that we actually didn't see more of that today.

cards press box
06-27-2010, 10:30 PM
No quit in our boys, umpiring was bad, that last AB by Rios the ump missed 2 so Rios had to swing. TCM was safe on the call at first.

And the phantom interference call on Beckham was terrible, too. Bad calls aside, John Danks had a rare off day (and the starters haven't had too many of those lately) and, anyway, the Sox as a whole didn't play particularly well today until that great 9th inning charge.

But 2 out of 3 is always a good thing and, let's not forget, the Sox are 15-2 in their last 17. This has been an outstanding run and let's hope they can finish the first half strong!

Zakath
06-27-2010, 10:39 PM
And the phantom interference call on Beckham was terrible, too.

Surprised no one else brought that up. That level of contact does not constitute interference, especially when Soto initiated it on his followthrough.

That one might be overlooked, but Alexei getting called out at first was really horrid.

Both calls didn't cost us the game, because Danks just didn't have it today.

twinsuck
06-27-2010, 10:54 PM
Good run, Sox. I'm proud of you guys... I was a bit upset when I heard the Sox lost today(I was at work) but after thinking about, it's ok... They gave it their best at the end, that's good see because of course you can't win EVERY game. Tomorrow starts a new streak!

sox1970
06-27-2010, 11:03 PM
Good run, Sox. I'm proud of you guys... I was a bit upset when I heard the Sox lost today(I was at work) but after thinking about, it's ok... They gave it their best at the end, that's good see because of course you can't win EVERY game. Tomorrow starts a new streak!

Let's hope. On a certain level, tomorrow is a pretty big game. The possibility that there will be a letdown is there. It would have been nice if they had a day off Monday instead of Thursday, but we'll see how they come out tomorrow.

JB98
06-27-2010, 11:10 PM
Let's hope. On a certain level, tomorrow is a pretty big game. The possibility that there will be a letdown is there. It would have been nice if they had a day off Monday instead of Thursday, but we'll see how they come out tomorrow.

It starts with Buehrle. If he pitches good, the Sox will be fine. I'm always worried about a letdown when the team goes to Kansas City, regardless of the circumstances. The Sox seem to have a lot of success at home against the Royals, but they've been caught napping in Kansas City a few different times over the years.

Foulke You
06-28-2010, 12:45 AM
All good things must come to an end. Great run by the Sox. A sweep would have been nice but I'll take a 5W-1L homestand and 16W-3L in our last 19 games any day. Let's have a 4W-2L road trip thru KC and TEX. Mission: October!

Oh, and Randy Williams is hot garbage. Here is hoping Erick Threets does well enough to make Williams expendable. If not, KW is going to need to look around for that elusive 2nd lefty out of the pen.

hi im skot
06-28-2010, 01:23 AM

I still can't believe they let the crap that goes on up there go on. When I go to games that have a large contingent in those areas, it is just a matter of time when you see entire rows just stand up and turn around to see what is going on.:(:

I went to over 40 games last year in the upper deck and saw maybe two real issues.

I saw just as many downstairs.

doublem23
06-28-2010, 01:24 AM
Surprised no one else brought that up. That level of contact does not constitute interference, especially when Soto initiated it on his followthrough.

That one might be overlooked, but Alexei getting called out at first was really horrid.

Both calls didn't cost us the game, because Danks just didn't have it today.

I disagree slightly, I think that crap call on Beckham was the turning point of the game. We had Dempster on the ropes and were about to turn the lineup over to the top. The DP really gave him a chance to relax and breath, and I think that had a lot to do with him settling down.

Danks didn't help, maybe the Sox don't win today anyway, but I think that play was huge.

guillensdisciple
06-28-2010, 01:37 AM
We deserved to lose this one, but still fought to make it close. This team is going to be contending the rest of the way. Everyone get ready for an interesting summer.

Sam Spade
06-28-2010, 05:55 AM
We deserved to lose this one, but still fought to make it close. This team is going to be contending the rest of the way. Everyone get ready for an interesting summer.
How do you propose everyone does that?

guillensdisciple
06-28-2010, 07:48 AM

By staying excited?

soltrain21
06-28-2010, 08:41 AM

I've got a stack of water and canned goods.

white sox bill
06-28-2010, 09:16 AM
By staying excited?

Yes, right on. Here I thought I'd catch up on some books, movies I wanted to see and paint my garage until football started in September. Now I get to watch baseball......let the garage go another year!!

hawkjt
06-28-2010, 09:30 AM
Johnny Danks clearly had a live arm yesterday,hitting 95mph on the gun,and had a good start by setting down the first 6 Cubs. But, his command was not good,as acknowledged by him,and he grooved that pitch to colvin.

I thought we had a chance if we could hold them to 6,but then Pena and Williams gave up 2 more. Williams, who I root for, is a guaranteed run producer for the other side anymore...sad.

Is the newbie a lefty? Hope so.

Sox got 4 bad calls, two on the Rios ab,and the Alexei and Gordo calls. Lot to overcome,but Dempster was a bulldog,so I give him some credit.

I am worried about MB tonite vs his nemisis of late,the Royals. They have been getting about 10-15 hits vs MB recently,it seems,and are really a good hitting team. Tonite is a huge game for the Sox offense,they need to show they can score with AL teams.

The Sox have gotten themselves back in the thick of it..ok...don't stop now ,boys.

russ99
06-28-2010, 10:01 AM
I disagree slightly, I think that crap call on Beckham was the turning point of the game. We had Dempster on the ropes and were about to turn the lineup over to the top. The DP really gave him a chance to relax and breath, and I think that had a lot to do with him settling down.

Danks didn't help, maybe the Sox don't win today anyway, but I think that play was huge.

The Alexei call was pretty bad. We may not have scored, but it would have put more pressure on Dempster, and we might have gotten to the pen earlier. It seemed to me that the ump wasn't happy with him giving the safe sign at first before.

We can't expect to win most of the time you give up 7 runs, but I was proud of the effort. Had Alex gotten a few better calls, he may have gotten a better pitch to hit, but you can't count on that.

Hopefully yesterday was the day Ozzie realized that Randy Williams doesn't belong on this team. I was hoping Threets (a lefty) would have gone in the 9th, but maybe that outing got Linebrink back on track a little.

TheOldRoman
06-28-2010, 10:30 AM
Doesn't MLB Gameday use a computer? That seems 100% accurate. And I know its extremely more accurate than the umpire, who can take over any game they want to. Bases loaded with Konerko up would have been fun.No, Gameday uses a person manually placing the pitches. Which is why, if Marmol gets a strike called a foot off the outside corner, although the ump made a horrible call, the pitch was "on the outside corner." Gameday will place that pitch right over the outer edge of the plate. They never place called strikes out of the zone because it would make the umpires look bad. I don't remember whether or not they do it for swinging strikes.

Danks didn't help, maybe the Sox don't win today anyway, but I think that play was huge.I agree. AJ had a pretty bad AB to end the first, which I thought was pivitol, but this call was huge. Dempster got knocked around in the first, and in the second he had a leadoff single which should have been moved over to second with one out. That awful call gave Dempster a life preserver, and of course Danks fell apart the next inning. The fact that interference can be called when the catcher goes out of his way to knick the batter on his follow-though is a joke. I didn't see the 9th inning (listened in my car), but from what people are saying I probably would have been infuriated by the calls on Rios. Farmer and DJ didn't mention that they were bad calls.

Red Barchetta
06-28-2010, 10:35 AM
I was pretty excited when Rios came up to bat as the potential winning run and working a 2-0 count. The ump then gave the at bat back to the Cubs by calling two questionable pitcher's pitches. 1 maybe, but not both. Alex could only be defensive at that point. I was really hoping he would get a fastball to at least take a swing at winning the game. Oh well, new streak ready to go!

KenBerryGrab
06-28-2010, 12:37 PM
TCM was safe on the call at first.

I think when he makes his own "safe" signal, he's hurting the cause.

It's human nature for an ump to say to himself "I make the calls here" and call him out on a bang-bang play.

october23sp
06-28-2010, 01:58 PM
The last time we lost to the Cubs we went on an 11 game winning streak.

Dibbs
06-28-2010, 02:02 PM
I think when he makes his own "safe" signal, he's hurting the cause.

It's human nature for an ump to say to himself "I make the calls here" and call him out on a bang-bang play.

I completely agree. It's not his job to make the safe or out call. He has done it many times when he is out as well. I guarantee it doesn't help his case.

WhiteSox1989
06-28-2010, 02:07 PM
The last time we lost to the Cubs we went on an 11 game winning streak.
:thumbsup:

I'll take 14 this time, though.

LITTLE NELL
06-28-2010, 02:11 PM
I completely agree. It's not his job to make the safe or out call. He has done it many times when he is out as well. I guarantee it doesn't help his case.

I've seen many players do what Alexei did and were not called out, the umpires job is to get the !@#$% call right.

October26
06-28-2010, 02:38 PM
Despite yesterday's loss, I had a great weekend watching the Sox beat up on the Cubs. :smile:

I'm glad that the Sox won the Crosstown Cup.

Now it's time to for the Sox to take care of business back in the American league.

As other's have said, it is important to keep winning series. Go Sox!

hawkjt
06-28-2010, 02:44 PM
I've seen many players do what Alexei did and were not called out, the umpires job is to get the !@#$% call right.

I agree that it is no excuse for an ump to blow an easy call there...but I hope Ozzie pulls Alexei aside and counsels him to cool it on the ''safe'' signal as he hits the bag...umps are sensitive and easy to anger.

tebman
06-28-2010, 03:04 PM
I agree that it is no excuse for an ump to blow an easy call there...but I hope Ozzie pulls Alexei aside and counsels him to cool it on the ''safe'' signal as he hits the bag...umps are sensitive and easy to anger.

Paging Joe West, paging Joe West...

"The umpires, as a class, have never really impressed me. Not as greatly, at any rate, as they have impressed themselves." -- Bill Veeck

PhillipsBubba
06-28-2010, 10:28 PM
No complaints here...let's see how the WS bounce back in KC, where they always struggle.

Is it illegal to quote oneself????

Anyhoo...my worst fears are coming to fruition:(:

Nellie_Fox
06-29-2010, 01:25 AM
Is it illegal to quote oneself????

Anyhoo...my worst fears are coming to fruition:(:It's one ****ing game.

GoGoCrede
06-29-2010, 01:32 AM
It's one ****ing game.

Seriously. We have much of the season left before us. Lots of knee-jerk reactions about these two losses. Take a deep breath, everyone, and let's just focus on the next game.

TommyJohn
06-29-2010, 08:10 PM
It's one ****ing game.I don't know about you, but I absolutely expected them to go undefeated the rest of the way. How dare they lose one game to an AL team. Don't they know they'll now be dismissed as flukes?