PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Do you think the Sox will re-sign Konerko?

Danielgosox38
06-27-2010, 01:30 AM
I sure hope so. He's had alot of swagger this year, and have always loved the guy.

chisoxfanatic
06-27-2010, 01:31 AM
You must've checked out the signature that I just changed tonight. :cool:

Man, I hope so! I have not loved a baseball player this much since Robin!

DonnieDarko
06-27-2010, 01:33 AM
I hope he resigns as well...but I somehow get this feeling that it's not going to happen.

HomeFish
06-27-2010, 01:34 AM
Konerko is old and his skills are diminishing. He is not the future of this team. I think it's time to move on.

He's having a good year and there's probably no way we could get him to sign a sweetheart deal for low years/low $$. Let him be some other GM's multi-year, multi-million dollar mistake.

StillMissOzzie
06-27-2010, 01:43 AM
Depends on how much he wants and for how many years. The way this year has gone so far, I can't see him taking a pay cut. If I were in charge, I'd offer something like 3 yrs/$38M and see if he wants to end his career here. If he wants more years or more $$$, I think he gone.

SMO
:gulp:

october23sp
06-27-2010, 02:10 AM
Could really go either way, if he wants a crazy amount no. If he wants a reasonable amount yes.

asindc
06-27-2010, 06:09 AM
Depends on how much he wants and for how many years. The way this year has gone so far, I can't see him taking a pay cut. If I were in charge, I'd offer something like 3 yrs/$38M and see if he wants to end his career here. If he wants more years or more $$$, I think he gone.

SMO
:gulp:

I wouldn't even offer that much. I'm thinking 2yr/$16m at the most, which might not get it done. I agree with Homefish on this one. As much as I appreciate him carrying the offense this year with Rios, this screams "contract year" performance.

LITTLE NELL
06-27-2010, 06:40 AM
As I mentioned in the post game thread I want Paulie to finish his career on the South Side. I don't see his skills diminishing and when he does slow down in the field he will be a fine DH. He has been a credit to the franchise with never an ounce of trouble on or off the field. When his career is over his number and picture will be on the left field wall.

Shoeless
06-27-2010, 07:01 AM
As I mentioned in the post game thread I want Paulie to finish his career on the South Side. I don't see his skills diminishing and when he does slow down in the field he will be a fine DH. He has been a credit to the franchise with never an ounce of trouble on or off the field. When his career is over his number and picture will be on the left field wall.

So when he starts standing still?

But in all seriousness, if his price is right, try to keep him.

hawkjt
06-27-2010, 07:22 AM
If he continues to produce like this, he is going to be more expensive than anticipated. I hope they can get him signed for 2 years,22 million with an option buyout deal for another 3 million or so. Kind of like JD's last deal.

He makes 12 million/yr now,so anything below that would help the budget a bit. Clearly, we need a right-handed DH as Andruw will be gone.
Sign PK, and rotate Dayan and him between first base and DH. I know, would love to rotate PK and a lefty alternative, or Dayan and a lefty alternative, but you cannot have everything.

Bottom line, lets see how his bat speed looks in the second half...if he has a JD second half, then we have our answer,and if he stays hot,we have our answer.

MetroPD
06-27-2010, 09:21 AM
I agree 100%. Why we have so many Paulie detractors I will never figure that one out. The guy has been a stalwart of the White Sox for many many years.

Its true he is no longer in his prime, but he's not bad by a longshot. He's a solid player who should remain with this ball club. I would hate to see him signed away and then brought back for a few token games when there is absolutely nothing left in the tank.

munchman33
06-27-2010, 09:27 AM
Paulie is hitting great this year and worth some good money on the open market. If we decide to pay it, I won't complain about it. But let's be realistic. It isn't going to be a steady decline where we throw him at DH and he puts up numbers. When he gets too old to do this anymore, it's going to be sudden and it's going to be devastating. This isn't the steroid era anymore, and Paulie's a fastball hitter. You know what happens to fastball hitters when they suddenly can't turn on a fastball?

kufram
06-27-2010, 09:27 AM
Paul Konerko is a credit to the franchise and to all of major league baseball. I think we're in a win/win situation with him as long as he plays anything like the way he has all year. The same debate was held after '05 and both sides wanted a deal and it got done. Whatever happens we either get PK, which is fine by me, or we get a lot for him which I guess I could live with.

Perfect world?.. keep him at first as long as he can and then DH at money that he's happy to stay in the organization for.

FielderJones
06-27-2010, 09:41 AM
Bottom line, lets see how his bat speed looks in the second half...if he has a JD second half, then we have our answer,and if he stays hot,we have our answer.

:thumbsup:

Trading fan favorites is no way to keep butts in the seats. If the Sox can make a decent deal and Paulie actually wants to stay here, get it done.

Craig Grebeck
06-27-2010, 09:48 AM

Trading fan favorites is no way to keep butts in the seats. If the Sox can make a decent deal and Paulie actually wants to stay here, get it done.
Retaining aging players in order to boost/maintain attendance is no way to run a ballclub.

Take him year-to-year. One-year deal with a club option -- if he passes, see ya.

munchman33
06-27-2010, 10:12 AM

Who cares about that? We aren't the Cubs and we aren't interested in appeasing the masses over winning ballgames.

DonnieDarko
06-27-2010, 10:13 AM
I could actually see a two-year, 12-15 million dollar deal with a mutual option in the third year as a possibility. A minute one, but a possibility nonetheless.

MetroPD
06-27-2010, 02:57 PM
Who cares about that? We aren't the Cubs and we aren't interested in appeasing the masses over winning ballgames.
How about those of us who are ticket paying fans who pay to see their players? I guess they don't count? As for your analogy to the Cubs, its rather poor. The Cubs have tried to win continuously, look at their payroll, look at how many players they've tried to bring in to win, and they continue to fail. Taking a fan favorite in Paulie who is producing quite nicely and dumping him along the way side is a poor decision.

Rikirk
06-27-2010, 03:35 PM
I want PK to finish his career here. Hes a heck of a team captain and a decent player.
I dont know what else to say, I like the guy and think trading him would be a bad thing.

munchman33
06-27-2010, 03:38 PM
How about those of us who are ticket paying fans who pay to see their players? I guess they don't count? As for your analogy to the Cubs, its rather poor. The Cubs have tried to win continuously, look at their payroll, look at how many players they've tried to bring in to win, and they continue to fail. Taking a fan favorite in Paulie who is producing quite nicely and dumping him along the way side is a poor decision.

Giving Paulie a 3 or 4 year deal at this point, simply because someone else might be willing to, would be foolish. It's a move only a bad team not interesting in winning so much as other things would make. The analogy is spot on.

Sam Spade
06-27-2010, 03:42 PM
I don't like your options. I don't think its time for the sox to move on, but I do think that paulie is going to hit his way out of the sox price range.

Sam Spade
06-27-2010, 03:43 PM
I could actually see a two-year, 12-15 million dollar deal with a mutual option in the third year as a possibility. A minute one, but a possibility nonetheless.
If he keeps it up, someone else will pay him twice that.

Danielgosox38
06-27-2010, 04:30 PM
I don't like your options. I don't think its time for the sox to move on, but I do think that paulie is going to hit his way out of the sox price range.

If the mods can add the extra option for that, please do mods. :smile:

konerko 14
06-27-2010, 04:34 PM
I hope they do, If I was them I would offer him a 2 year 15 or 16 million dollar offer.

Hitmen77
06-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Retaining aging players in order to boost/maintain attendance is no way to run a ballclub.

Take him year-to-year. One-year deal with a club option -- if he passes, see ya.

I think it would take at least a 2 year deal to keep Konerko. I'm sure some team like the Angels would give him at least a 2 yr deal in free agency.

I'd like to see him back with a 2 year deal....but it depends on how much money he'll be asking for under such a deal.

TheVulture
06-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Its true he is no longer in his prime, but he's not bad by a longshot.

He's having the best year of his career. What's more prime than that?

bunty_doghunter
06-27-2010, 09:40 PM

An aging player will ask for a multi-year deal, since he doesn't want to face the competency test every spring. He only takes a one-year if he KNOWS thats all he can get.

esbrechtel
06-27-2010, 09:56 PM
My heart says I hope so, my brain says it might be a better idea to pass...

hawkjt
06-28-2010, 08:45 AM
I know it is all about performance on the field,but if there was ever a guy with intangibles it is MB and Paulie.(JD,also). Just listening to the post-game interview with PK yesterday, I was struck by how thoughtful he is in answering queries from media. I have heard him do interview for 12 years now,and yesterday he gave insight that I have never heard from him before...that is hard when he has given hundreds of interviews.

PK:...on the streak '' for players it is such an everyday game, that you do really give much thought to what happened the day before,so it is more like focusing on having a one game streak,that day''

...on the race ''it is not about streaks now, it is about gaining or losing on the other two teams in the race,every day. That is what really dictates how the season is going ...are we gaining or losing?''

...on Cubs series '' it is natural to have a letdown after these intense games,and we have to guard against that tomorrow.''

He is the kind of even-keeled leader anyone should want for their team.
He faces the cameras, in losing and winning,and takes the heat off the rest of the team in facing the media.

That alone is worth a few more bucks...like with MB.