PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever left a Sox game early?

GoGoCrede
06-27-2010, 12:12 AM
Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this. I never thought I would, but I attended a lot of blowouts in cold weather this season, so I ended up bailing early a few times. I'd never leave a playoff game early, though.

johnnyg83
06-27-2010, 12:18 AM
I have. And the biggest regret I have is leaving the Robin Ventura grand slam against the Rangers game.

ChicagoG19
06-27-2010, 12:24 AM
Just did it a couple of weeks ago when the Sox got rocked by the Marlins and the Blackhawks playoff games was on. I believe I left when it was like 9-0 in the 4th inning. They ended up losing 13-1, so I didn't feel too bad about leaving.

Rohan
06-27-2010, 12:25 AM
I've left early when the Sox have a substantial lead going into the 9th inning. I usually take the red line so it helps to get a little bit of a head start. I've never missed anything big though.

Boondock Saint
06-27-2010, 12:27 AM
April 22 this year against Tampa. I left after Randy Williams gave up the three run double to Pena. That game was just ugly all over.

tebman
06-27-2010, 12:28 AM
Only once, and not because I wanted to. We went to the turn-back-the-clock game on July 11, 1990, at Old Comiskey. We had our young kids and my young niece, all of whom had a good time dressed in 1917 clothes. The Sox led 9-3 going into the eighth, but the Brewers tied it with 6 runs in the eighth, forcing it into extra innings.

The game dragged on and our little kids were getting tired and restless. We couldn't stick around for all 13 innings, and it's just as well since the Sox lost.

Otherwise, no. I don't understand leaving games early.

chisoxfanatic
Twice. Once a few seasons ago when we were getting blasted by Oakland something like 12-1 in the 8th or 9th, the other a few seasons ago when the Red Sox were having their way with us (my boyfriend was pissed--he didn't want to leave early, and we didn't talk for the rest of the night).

SoxNation05
Just did it a couple of weeks ago when the Sox got rocked by the Marlins and the Blackhawks playoff games was on. I believe I left when it was like 9-0 in the 4th inning. They ended up losing 13-1, so I didn't feel too bad about leaving.

Terrible game, I watched the Hawks in the 300's.

I have left early on many ocasions because of women wanting to leave.

DirtySox
06-27-2010, 12:30 AM
Yep, during a blowout. No big deal.

SephClone89
06-27-2010, 12:32 AM
Last year. My first game at the park in five years.

20-1.

My mom and I left after the 7th, because we didn't want to miss my brother's choir concert.

ohthosechisox
06-27-2010, 12:33 AM
No, I've never technically left a game early. There was an early April game from a few years ago that I finished watching on the TVs in the concourse only because I was freezing.

I would definitely never leave a game early if the Sox were winning. I've been pretty fortunate to not have to witness any blowouts in person recently, so I honestly wouldn't have a clue if I would leave or not in those scenarios. It would probably depend on the weather though.

chisoxfanatic
06-27-2010, 12:34 AM
Was anyone at that game where the Twins scored 6 runs in the top of the 9th to take a 6-run lead, but we scored 6 runs in the bottom of the inning and then won it in extras?

I actually stayed for the whole thing, but about 75-80% of the crowd was gone by then!

HomeFish
06-27-2010, 12:36 AM
Routinely when they are losing big.

I missed a triple play against Anaheim because of this.

GoGoCrede
06-27-2010, 12:39 AM
I always remember the 2008 ALDS at Fenway. I think it was game 3. Red Sox were down 7-0, and a lot of people were leaving. They made a miraculous comeback late in the game and ended up winning something like 8-7. I always laughed at the fans who left early. They missed a great game.

fram40
06-27-2010, 12:40 AM
I went to the 25 inning game in 1984. The first night, We left after the 14th inning. Friends had to get up for work the next day at 5:00 AM. Not too mention how damned cold it was.

Last season I left the 14 - 0 Toronto loss after the eighth inning. But I stayed for the end of the 20 - 1 blowout loss to the Twins.

Hitmen77
06-27-2010, 12:45 AM
Yes, several times. When you have small kids (either with you or being watched by someone somewhere else), you sometimes don't have a choice of staying if a game runs late.

BlackandWhiteSox
06-27-2010, 01:12 AM
Yep. I can't remember if I've ever left a blowout in favor of the Sox(I wouldn't be surprised if I've done it multiple times), but I've definitely left early when it was a blowout against the Sox. Don't believe I've ever missed anything exciting like a huge comeback or something. My brother and sister went to the 3rd game against Houston in '06 and left early. They missed Iguchi hitting a grand slam in the 9th to tie it up, but the Sox ended up losing in extras anyway. I remember that vividly because I went to the first 2 games when Crede and Pods hit grand slams.

chisoxfanatic
06-27-2010, 01:19 AM
Yep. I can't remember if I've ever left a blowout in favor of the Sox(I wouldn't be surprised if I've done it multiple times), but I've definitely left early when it was a blowout against the Sox. Don't believe I've ever missed anything exciting like a huge comeback or something. My brother and sister went to the 3rd game against Houston in '06 and left early. They missed Iguchi hitting a grand slam in the 9th to tie it up, but the Sox ended up losing in extras anyway. I remember that vividly because I went to the first 2 games when Crede and Pods hit grand slams.
I was in Austin, Texas, for work watching that game in my hotel room. That Monday was my last day there, and a bunch of Astros fans were chirping about that 1 game. I was wearing my Konerko jersey as my "flying back home" attire and just showed them my World Series Champions patch on my sleeve. :cool:

Nellie_Fox
06-27-2010, 01:30 AM
Yes, several times. When you have small kids (either with you or being watched by someone somewhere else), you sometimes don't have a choice of staying if a game runs late.There it is. The only game I ever left early was because my four-year-old son was cold and crying.

Sockinchisox
06-27-2010, 01:35 AM
I left during the Astros game in 06 when Iguchi hit the slam in the 9th to tie it. I was pissed, but I got over it.

bnlfanmatt
06-27-2010, 01:50 AM
I left twice early, the first (a Sunday night game against the Indians, I believe) because I was feeling a little sick as I was going to the game. It was a game a couple of years back, Sunday night against the Indians. When I got there, the lady who came (in the third inning) to sit next to me was large, wearing a combination of bengay and a horrible wretched perfume. So I sat next to that combination feeling worse and worse, and we were lower deck and nothing was open to accommodate the four of us. I had been at work before the game and was in a separate car, so I just left. There was a decent gap, and I think I left around the 7th or 8th, but I remember listening on the way home and I think the Sox had a rally fall short. I would've been so mad if they would've came back and I missed it.
The second time I left early was an Easter game, I remember it was pouring hard and I was watching the rain came down. I saw how much water was on the tarps and fields, and I told my dad, I honestly can't see them playing today. We left, and about 20 minutes later they officially called it. Got us a 20 minute head start on the worst of traffic!

doublem23
06-27-2010, 01:56 AM
Once, almost 10 years ago, because a friend of mine got ejected by Sox security, and I wanted to make sure he wasn't getting taken to the old lockup at 35th & Lowe.

BRDSR
06-27-2010, 01:59 AM
Twice that I specifically remember, but there were times before I could drive that I know I left early because I was at the mercy of whoever could drive.

On April 28, 2004, I left the game going into the top of the 9th when the Sox were down by four. They scored five in the bottom of the 9th. I promised myself never again.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=200404280CHA

In '06 or '07, however, I went to a game with my high-school age sister in my split season ticket seats, and by the 7th or 8th she was getting harassed by some drunk punks a few rows back. It was cold, the Sox were losing, and I thought it was probably just time to leave. As far as I remember, they did not come back that time.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
06-27-2010, 03:05 AM
I left an extra-inning game against Cleveland a few years ago (2005?) because my uncle was so drunk that he was about ready to pass out.

I remember the Indians took the lead in the 10th, then Big Frank tied it up with a homer.

We left at around the 13th inning, and I think the Sox ended up losing anyway.

october23sp
06-27-2010, 03:30 AM
I don't get to go to many games, so I always stay, but I have never seen them get blown out.

LITTLE NELL
06-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Was up in Chicago in June of 04 and went a to Sox-Indian night game, Sox had a nice lead but Cleveland tied it in the 9th, after the Sox batted in the ninth we left because my sister who was with us had to work early the next day, but we listened on the car radio as Jose Valentin hit a walk off HR in the 10th.
The only other time was in St Pete as we left after the 8th inning of a night game with the Sox having a nice lead, we had a 2 hour drive back to Bonita Springs and I had an early tee time the next day so we wanted to beat the traffic.

SOXSINCE'70
06-27-2010, 09:43 AM
The only time i'd leave is if the Sox were being blown out.
Once, I couldn't sit through a Saturday night fireworks show after Vladmir Guerrero (than an Expo) homered to give the 'Spos a 2-1 lead
that they would not waste.My friend wanted to see the fireworks show, so I was stuck in the parking lot angry about the HR that beat the Sox.

SOXSINCE'70
06-27-2010, 09:48 AM
Twice that I specifically remember, but there were times before I could drive that I know I left early because I was at the mercy of whoever could drive.

On April 28, 2004, I left the game going into the top of the 9th when the Sox were down by four. They scored five in the bottom of the 9th. I promised myself never again.

The same alomost happened to me in 2001.
Steve Sparks (then w/the Tiggers) had a 3 hitter.The Sox were losing
6-0.I told my friend I wanted to leave. He refused.Since he drove to the game, I was stuck. The Sox scored 4 runs in the bottom of the 8th,
2 in the 9th to tie it,and Konerko hit a 2 out game winning 3 run HR in the bottom of the 10th.My friend the smartass told me "I knew I was right."

dickallen15
06-27-2010, 09:53 AM
The only time I really leave early is in-game rain delays. I go to enough games where sticking it out isn't that important to me. Obviously if something came up, I would leave.

I really don't think bailing early, for 99.9% of reasons ,makes you any less of a fan. Whether you're cold or wet or the game is out of hand, or you have to deal with something else. Now if it were a big game and it was 3-2 in the 7th inning and you left because you wanted to beat the crowd...............

Thome4Ever
06-27-2010, 10:57 AM
I left during the Astros game in 06 when Iguchi hit the slam in the 9th to tie it. I was pissed, but I got over it.

I left that game as well when the Astros were up 9-1 (around the 7th inning). The guy sitting next to us said "You'll be sorry when we come back!" We laughed. Then we really "laughed" when we heard Iguchi's tying GS shot on the radio on the drive home. The Sox did lose in extra innings, making it a little easier to take.

Other than that, I've left blowouts where there was no Sox comeback, including that 13-0 beauty against the Marlins last month.

Planning to stay the whole game today, if the weather clears!

LongLiveFisk
06-27-2010, 11:04 AM
I can remember leaving early maybe once. I was with a friend and it was a ridiculously hot day in July and I was starting to get sick from the heat.

Otherwise I always stay until the end. I hate when the Sox are losing but I enoy myself at the ballpark so I hate to leave. I don't make it to a lot of games either, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.

Rockin Robin
06-27-2010, 11:25 AM
April 22 this year against Tampa. I left after Randy Williams gave up the three run double to Pena. That game was just ugly all over.

I came here to post that same game! Easily the worst game I've ever been to. If it was ever that ugly on the field, and also below freezing, I'd have no problem leaving early again.

eastchicagosoxfan
06-27-2010, 11:32 AM
My dad isn't much of a baseball fan. That said, he would take us to a few Sox games every year with tickets he received through work. We had to beg him to stay through the seventh inning. We were usually on the Skyway when the game ended. I know we missed a couple of comebacks, and we finally convinced him to stay for a whole game. We were rewarded with a Steve Kemp walk-off shot. Once I was 15, and had friends old to enough to drive, he gave the tickets to myself and one of my brothers. I always stay for the whole game.

Railsplitter
06-27-2010, 11:49 AM
2008 Sox 15, Mariners 3. got up after the 8th inning. The M's went down so quickly in the ninth, the game was over by the time we reached the gates.

SoxandtheCityTee
06-27-2010, 11:53 AM
Then there's the category: You don't want to, but your companions do, badly. That happened to me on Opening Night 2006, when we were all smashed into the upper deck concourse during the long rain delay. One in the group was only a casual fan, wet, freezing and miserable. No access to the 100 level, and a sell out crowd. I console myself that I saw the banner hoisted etc.

I will say this, waiting out a rain delay is easier on the 100 level. I got to Wednesday's game at 5:30, waited until 9:00 for the game to start, and stayed for the fireworks after.

One game I wish I'd had the sense to leave early was that Sunday marathon v. Boston the day before the All-Star break a few years ago. We sat through (I think it was) 22 innings of intense sun and heat only to see them lose and then -- well then came the second half of the season. I still have bad flashbacks to that one.

TornLabrum
06-27-2010, 12:12 PM
I left early (after 6 innings) on the Sunday afternoon Marlins game that Freddy was shelled in.

harwar
06-27-2010, 12:22 PM
i only remember leaving early once and that was the day that we landed a man on the moon .. not sure if it was the first time or not .. i only remember the announcement and we left .. it's a big thing with me to stay to the last out no matter what ..

Dick Allen
06-27-2010, 12:24 PM
I've left many a game early in all my years of going, for various reasons. I remember leaving the 2nd game of a Sunday DH in 1969 so we could get home in time to see Armstrong walk on the moon. The only time I really missed anything was that Astros game in 2006 that others have mentioned here, where Iguchi hit the grand slam. Sox were trailing something like 9-1 in the bottom of the 7th, looking listless, and then it started to rain. That was it for me. Good old Javy Vazquez started that game. Shmuck.

TomBradley72
06-27-2010, 12:26 PM
Most memorable "left early, got burned"...left a Sox/Rangers game early in the early 90's...they came back and won the game on a hit by Warren "The Deacon" Newson.

Most memorable "everone else left early, I stayed and was vindicated"....Sox fall behind the Tiget 7-1 in 2006....come from behind and tie it on a Joe Crede HR.

Brian26
06-27-2010, 12:28 PM
I have. And the biggest regret I have is leaving the Robin Ventura grand slam against the Rangers game.

Oh my God. One of the greatest moments in Sox history, LOL!

:thud:

Brian26
06-27-2010, 12:29 PM
Routinely when they are losing big.

I missed a triple play against Anaheim because of this.

June of 2004. Bengie Molina hit into it...pretty sure I was at that game too.

Brian26
06-27-2010, 12:31 PM
But I stayed for the end of the 20 - 1 blowout loss to the Twins.

That's the one I remember leaving in 2007. IIRC, it was a day-night doubleheader. The first game was a blowout until the Sox scored some garbage time runs in the bottom of the 9th. The nightcap was a blowout early, and that's what I waved the white flag.

Brian26
06-27-2010, 12:34 PM
Was up in Chicago in June of 04 and went a to Sox-Indian night game, Sox had a nice lead but Cleveland tied it in the 9th, after the Sox batted in the ninth we left because my sister who was with us had to work early the next day, but we listened on the car radio as Jose Valentin hit a walk off HR in the 10th.

I happened to see that game in person too. Valentine's dinger was a rope down the rightfield line...just barely stayed inside the foul pole. May have been the same week as the triple play vs. Anaheim.

Coops4Aces
06-27-2010, 12:34 PM
I left Thome's 500th home run game to watch the Bears game :(:

Brian26
06-27-2010, 12:37 PM
One game I wish I'd had the sense to leave early was that Sunday marathon v. Boston the day before the All-Star break a few years ago. We sat through (I think it was) 22 innings of intense sun and heat only to see them lose and then -- well then came the second half of the season. I still have bad flashbacks to that one.

I stayed for all seven-plus hours of that game. I wish I owned stocked in Gatorade, because I must have purchased a half-dozen of them at the concession stand under section 531. The park was an oven that day.

cheezheadsoxfan
06-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Hardly ever. But since we come in from Wisconsin by train I'm always looking at the clock so we don't miss our last train. Day games are no problem.

I just hate leaving early tho. Always afraid I'll miss something great.

LITTLE NELL
06-27-2010, 01:19 PM
i only remember leaving early once and that was the day that we landed a man on the moon .. not sure if it was the first time or not .. i only remember the announcement and we left .. it's a big thing with me to stay to the last out no matter what ..

That was July 20th, 1969 a DH against the Royals, I was there and at 3:00 they lit up the board in honor of Apollo 11 landing on the moon.
They also honored the 10th anniversary of the 59 Sox between games.
Sox lost both games.
After the DH my bride to be and I headed to her apartment and got home just in time to see Armstrong step on the moon.

SOXSINCE'70
06-27-2010, 01:31 PM
I left early (after 6 innings) on the Sunday afternoon Marlins game that Freddy was shelled in.

I could barely watch 3 innings of that game on TV.

Chrisaway
06-27-2010, 02:21 PM
I have but NEVER by choice. It was always someone in my group that hadta go. Next time I'll take the train home I promise.

Whappeh
06-27-2010, 02:23 PM
I left game 1 of the ALDS playoff games vs. Tampa in the bottom of the 8th, that way I wouldn't hit traffic.

Paulie hit a HR in the 9th, but it was still over.

FireMariotti
06-27-2010, 03:56 PM

:scratch: I thought the Sox won this one?

C-Dawg
06-27-2010, 04:00 PM
I've never before admitted it in public, but I left the AJ Pierzynski walkoff HR game against the Dodgers after eight innings. Then on the Red Line back into town, there was a kid checking the game on his phone, when all of a sudden he turned it off and slammed it into his pocket with a look of disgust. I was certain the Sox had gone 1-2-3 in the 9th! It wasn't until reaching the car at the Forest Park lot on the Blue Line that I learned what had happened.

In all fairness, I'd also been at the previous night's game against the Dodgers, which the Sox won in fine fashion, but in the AJ game the Dodgers jumped all over Freddie early and I'd all but written off the game by the 3rd inning. Also some guy had tried switching seats with us and was quite a jerk about it, so I was in a bad mood for most of the game.

Soxgirl22
06-27-2010, 05:08 PM
I never have, and at this point never really would. It's a 2 hour drive to get to games, so I only get to go to a limited number, and want to take in as much as possible.

SoxandtheCityTee
06-27-2010, 05:12 PM
:scratch: I thought the Sox won this one?

You might be right. I was too heatstroked to notice.

konerko 14
06-27-2010, 05:35 PM
I've only left early once, the game earlier this year against the Marlins when they where blown out.

BlackandWhiteSox
06-27-2010, 08:02 PM
I just left today's game early.

soxlady8
06-27-2010, 08:18 PM
I left the game in the top of the 9th today.
There was too much drama in the upper deck with people heckling each other and beer flying around. This was after a huge fight
in section 508/509. I regret going though , I missed the big comeback (but didn't end exactly the way it should have ).

I do not ever want to buy upper deck tickets again
to a Sox/Cubs dual.

Thome4Ever
06-27-2010, 08:29 PM
There was too much drama in the upper deck with people heckling each other and beer flying around. This was after a huge fight
in section 508/509. I regret going though , I missed the big comeback (but didn't end exactly the way it should have ).

to a Sox/Cubs dual.

I stayed the whole game today and almost was rewarded for it with a Sox comeback, but I agree, the upper deck today was a bit out of hand, beer and barf flying everywhere.

JohnnyInnsbrook
06-27-2010, 08:30 PM

to a Sox/Cubs dual.

Yeah that was the section next to me... Some woman punched a security guard in the face cleanly 4 or 5 times then the guy she was with pushed a security guard down a couple rows of seats... I was close to leaving because if it too...

GoGoCrede
06-27-2010, 08:38 PM
I stayed the whole game today and almost was rewarded for it with a Sox comeback, but I agree, the upper deck today was a bit out of hand, beer and barf flying everywhere.

Ugh, gross. I'm definitely never attending this series again. I hope you didn't get anything on you.

soxlady8
06-27-2010, 08:44 PM
I do not know exactly what happened , but there were sooo many security guards over there and I saw a guy being pulled down the STAIRS by security. Then the beer was flying. I didn't get to witness any barf
(and THANK GOODNESS for that )!

I attended Friday afternoon's game near the pen and it was fairly drama free. There were two little incidents, but handled quickly.
There was a little bit of smack talk , but all in a joking way.

Never ever again in UD for a game with a team that causes DRAMA
amongst both sides.

anyone know exactly what happened?

Warriorjan
06-27-2010, 09:05 PM
If those people tangled with security they are looking at criminal charges, not just being thrown out of the game. Possibly felonies. Saw it happen last year (not at a Cubs game).
I was in 542 yesterday and things were pretty tame. Could have gone today but didn't, sounds like it was a good choice.
I sat through the god-awful Minnesota blow-outs a couple of years ago. I did leave early either last year or the year before when I had an early flight to catch the next morning. And once at a Cubs-Sox game I left after regulation because I had my young niece and nephew with me and it was getting late - I got them home and the Sox won in extras.

Brian26
06-27-2010, 10:03 PM
anyone know exactly what happened?

Are you looking for a more specific explanation than what everyone reading this forum could already surmise on their own?

I'm sure some ignorant people had too much to drink, started talking abusively to each other (perhaps even threateningly), and then the confrontation became physical. I'm sure there's the possibility something was thrown at someone else while their back was turned. Security stepped in to break it up (probably taking a little too much time to get there), and things then calmed down.

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-27-2010, 10:16 PM
Nope. I stayed the whole game during that 20-1 blowout the one year. As bad as they are I stay 'til the end.

twinsuck
06-27-2010, 10:58 PM
NO. I will NEVER leave a game early. It's just something I swore I would never do as a baseball fan. You cheer your team through to the end, even if it's 12-0.(I've been to many of those games. :tongue:) But of course if there was some sort of emergency I would leave, but that's the only time.

Jpgr91
06-28-2010, 01:47 AM
I usually wake up around 5:30 for work after games so I leave early quite a bit. My cut off is if the Sox are behind or winning by 4 runs middle of the 8th. I pretty much always watch the bottom of the 8th by the top of a section to see if something interesting develops. If it is a close game I relocate from my seats (114) to behind 156/157 for the 9th so I can be on the train right after the last out. I never stay past the 11th if I have work the next day.

HomeFish
06-28-2010, 05:44 AM
I left after the Lee HR on Sunday.

rwcescato
06-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Yes I have and have concerts early these days too. When you know the set list it helps. I went to the u2 concert last year knew the last encore song and was one of the first cars out of lot. It works great.

soxfanreggie
06-28-2010, 10:02 AM
As an adult, I have not left a Sox game early. However, when I was younger, I was at the mercy of my parents - cold, rainy games in April were not a favorite of my Mom, especially in a blow out, and Dad didn't usually fight her on it. It did really help shorten the drive home to not have to sit in traffic, but I always hated having to listen to the end of the game on the radio.

russ99
06-28-2010, 10:05 AM
When I was a kid, my Dad would make us leave in the 8th inning for every game to beat the traffic.

Granted, those were some awful Sox teams back then, but due to that, I make it a point to stay until the last pitch.

The only time I left early in recent memory was a first-week game a few years ago vs. the Twins when it was 30 degrees and I had upper deck seats. Love the Sox but not enough to get frostbite.

Nope. I stayed the whole game during that 20-1 blowout the one year. As bad as they are I stay 'til the end.

I have one better- I stayed for the entire Twins doubleheader in 2007.

Law11
06-28-2010, 10:15 AM
funny thing this post comes up.. my wife was just telling a friend about a game we went to years back vs NYY. So we're getting the doors blown off like 7-0 in the 5th. I was in the bleachers. It was like 90 degrees hot humid and I was fried. Yanks loaded them up and boom as the ball was in the air I told my wife Im done and started up the walkway she didnt know what the hell I was doing. The ball was crushed and it was 11-0. I was gone after 5 innings. Thats the earliest I ever left a game. I was on the concourse before the ball landed in the seats.

jmeneghini1433
06-28-2010, 03:49 PM
I left early on Tuesday against Atlanta after they showed the split the raffle in the top half of the 8th, and a game against the Royals in May after Pods smacked a triple.
I also left the Blackout game early

downstairs
06-28-2010, 03:57 PM
I had to as a kid. My parents, while die hard fans, were always the "leave in the 7th to beat traffic" people. As an adult, never.

If the game is a blow out, while the result sucks, so many people leave that you basically have no lines for food/beer/restrooms. So I just sit back and relax.

You're still seeing a MLB game!

C-Dawg
06-28-2010, 04:49 PM
My parents, while die hard fans, were always the "leave in the 7th to beat traffic" people.

We must be related! I have the same parents.

rdwj
06-28-2010, 05:04 PM
I had to as a kid. My parents, while die hard fans, were always the "leave in the 7th to beat traffic" people. As an adult, never.

My step-dad did the same crap and I vowed to NEVER do it once I could get to games myself. I've only left early once in recent history. When my daughter was 5, I took her to a meaningless game late in the year. It was delayed, cold and rainy. She was not comfortable and I wasn't going to have one of her first memories of the Sox being bad.

I listened to the remainder of the game on the radio.

Jerko
06-28-2010, 08:51 PM
I left early once because I was sick and Dave Martinez threw a ball in the stands that landed under my seat and my buddy wound up with it.

dakuda
06-28-2010, 08:57 PM
I left once early. I brought my brother and he had a date later that day. It was that one BoSox game that went to 19 innings a few years ago. We didn't think the game would interfere.

I left a later game very, very late since the customer service people didn't show up with a wheelchair for my dad after the game, as arranged. I figure that almost evens it out.