PDA

View Full Version : Lasorda-Reggie

LITTLE NELL
06-26-2010, 09:25 PM
We have the Yankee Dodger game going on here and Lasorda and Reggie Jackson are in the booth and I can't tell if Lasorda is serious about a play that happened in the 77 WS when he thought Jackson should have been called out for interference on a play at 1st base, Lasorda called Jackson a liar and a cheat, Reggie is trying to be nice but Lasorda is acting like a real jerk.
Anyone see this?

SBSoxFan
06-26-2010, 10:33 PM
I didn't see it, but I remember seeing highlights of that game when they used to show stuff like that during rain delays. By the way, why don't they do that anymore?

If I recall correctly, Reggie was about to get doubled off first. The throw came towards first with Reggie in the basepath. He stuck his leg out a bit, and the throw hit him in the calf. A big argument ensued.

I always wondered how they got the audio from those games. Were the players and coaches actually mic'ed? Did they even have wireless mics back then?

Viva Medias B's
06-26-2010, 10:58 PM
We have the Yankee Dodger game going on here and Lasorda and Reggie Jackson are in the booth and I can't tell if Lasorda is serious about a play that happened in the 77 WS when he thought Jackson should have been called out for interference on a play at 1st base, Lasorda called Jackson a liar and a cheat, Reggie is trying to be nice but Lasorda is acting like a real jerk.
Anyone see this?

Jackson should buy Lasorda a meal, and all will be forgiven.

LITTLE NELL
06-27-2010, 07:46 AM
Jackson should buy Lasorda a meal, and all will be forgiven.

I don't know, Lasorda was really bitter.

wilburaga
06-27-2010, 08:03 AM
I don't know, Lasorda was really bitter.

The Fatass should be bitter. That was an outrageous noncall that tipped the series to the Yankees. Gutless, clueless umpiring, Richie Garcia/Jeffrey Maier stylee.

LITTLE NELL
06-27-2010, 09:02 AM
The Fatass should be bitter. That was an outrageous noncall that tipped the series to the Yankees. Gutless, clueless umpiring, Richie Garcia/Jeffrey Maier stylee.

Why take it out on Jackson, he didn't make the call.

chisox81'
06-27-2010, 09:15 AM
I agree, don't take it out on Jackson.. Just like A.J. in game 2 of the ALCS, a smart, heads up baseball move - gotta respect that!!! Had to be really awkward for whoever was in that booth with them last night..

LITTLE NELL
06-27-2010, 09:49 AM
I agree, don't take it out on Jackson.. Just like A.J. in game 2 of the ALCS, a smart, heads up baseball move - gotta respect that!!! Had to be really awkward for whoever was in that booth with them last night..

It was Buck and McCarver and they didn't know what to think.

RKMeibalane
06-27-2010, 09:58 AM
Both men acted like complete jerks.

Link (http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=9401347&topic_id=8878728&c_id=la)

JohnTucker0814
06-27-2010, 11:38 AM
It was all a show... they were doing that for national telecast!

TheVulture
06-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Just sounds like some good ol fashioned smack talk between a couple of old time geezers. I actually enjoyed it myself.

Brian26
06-27-2010, 09:52 PM
I didn't see it, but I remember seeing highlights of that game when they used to show stuff like that during rain delays. By the way, why don't they do that anymore?

WGN used to do that all the time during Cubs rain delays in the late 70s and early 80s. I loved watching those old World Series and All-Star Game films and learned a lot about baseball history because of them.

As for Reggie and Tommy, I think they were playing up the theatrics of it all. Good for them. It was fun to watch.

TommyJohn
06-27-2010, 10:01 PM
WGN used to do that all the time during Cubs rain delays in the late 70s and early 80s. I loved watching those old World Series and All-Star Game films and learned a lot about baseball history because of them.

As for Reggie and Tommy, I think they were playing up the theatrics of it all. Good for them. It was fun to watch.

Hmmm. I didn't see it, but read this thread, and it sounded outrageous. This seems to make more sense, that they were just putting on a show.

Brian26
06-27-2010, 10:11 PM
Hmmm. I didn't see it, but read this thread, and it sounded outrageous. This seems to make more sense, that they were just putting on a show.

You should watch the clip. They showed the video of Bob Welch striking out Reggie to end one of the games in LA, which was one of the greatest pitcher-batter power vs power showdowns in WS history. Look at the emotion on Reggie after his swings and misses. Looks like he wants to throw the bat into the crowd.

theamb
06-27-2010, 10:36 PM
People actually thought they were being serious?

:lol:

TommyJohn
06-27-2010, 10:41 PM
You should watch the clip. They showed the video of Bob Welch striking out Reggie to end one of the games in LA, which was one of the greatest pitcher-batter power vs power showdowns in WS history. Look at the emotion on Reggie after his swings and misses. Looks like he wants to throw the bat into the crowd.I watched that game when it happened! I was a kid who couldn't stand Reggie Jackson. When he K'd to end that game, I literally jumped around and cheered.

Of course, as time passed, I grew to love the late 1970s Yankees, and Reggie, and Billy. Why? Because of the way they beat a force far more evil than they-the Kansas City Royal Redasses, with the head Royal Asses, Darrell Porter and Hal McRae, going down to defeat in the final inning of the final game of the ALCS in 1977-in front of a Kansas City crowd. Thank you, Yankees. Thank you, Reggie.

slavko
06-27-2010, 10:58 PM

If I recall correctly, Reggie was about to get doubled off first. The throw came towards first with Reggie in the basepath. He stuck his leg out a bit, and the throw hit him in the calf. A big argument ensued.

I always wondered how they got the audio from those games. Were the players and coaches actually mic'ed? Did they even have wireless mics back then?

I remember it being his hip rather than calf. But 33 years, ya know.....it was probably his elbow.

LITTLE NELL
06-28-2010, 06:24 AM
People actually thought they were being serious?

:lol:

I honestly think Lasorda was dead serious.

kaufsox
06-28-2010, 03:27 PM

I didn't catch the argument, but from what I've heard from people who have met Lasorda, it's not out of character at all. Just a complete ass is the assessment from people who have met him.

asindc
06-28-2010, 03:44 PM

He has done that in other interviews I've heard. Nothing new for him.