PDA

View Full Version : It all started with a rant from above

elrod
06-25-2010, 10:34 PM
On June 8 the Sox fell to 9 games under .500, blowing a 2-0 lead in the 5th inning and getting crushed by the Tigers 7-2. Kenny Williams promised that "changes will be made." Nobody knew exactly what that meant. Trades? Demotions? Waiver wire? Ozzie in jeopardy?

It turns out the only thing that changed was the attitude and performance of the existing Sox. Since KW's rant the Sox have gone 14-1. The pitching is as dominant as it was supposed to be in April. The hitting has started to come around - especially TCQ. And then there's the fielding; the Sox have made one error in the last 10 games.

I laughed at Bob Brenly's suggestion that Zambrano's blowup would give life to the Cubs and maybe turn their season around. But strangely, emotional moments like that - a player blowup, a major threat from the GM, a critical injury - can turn a team around. I could care less if the Cubs turn around. But I do know that the Sox faced a similar situation as the Cubs just two weeks ago. Listless, pathetic and underperforming at every level.

And now we're 1.5 out of first.

Once again Kenny Williams knows how to field - and inspire - a winner.

GoGoCrede
06-25-2010, 10:37 PM
That kind of reminds me of Ozzie's epic rant back in 2008 when we dropped 3/4 to the Rays in St Pete, and he was promising huge lineup changes, only to keep the same lineup as before. We went on a huge winning streak, and, well, you know what happened next. :D:

slavko
06-25-2010, 10:40 PM
$19M going ballistic gonna turn the club around. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Red Barchetta
06-25-2010, 10:46 PM
There is a big difference between a GM challenging a team that has the ability to win and perform a lot better than their record indicates and a short-tempered nut job who yells at his teammates after giving up a 2-strike, 3-run HR to put his team in a hole early on. All he needed was a double play ball...

I doubt Zambrano's rant will have any positive effect on the Cubs. Unless he is traded as a result...

Brian26
06-25-2010, 11:05 PM
It's a shame that Zambozo's antics in the dugout are overshadowing the ten in a row winning streak by the Sox.

Noneck
06-25-2010, 11:18 PM
It's a shame that Zambozo's antics in the dugout are overshadowing the ten in a row winning streak by the Sox.

I like this. Takes the media pressure off Sox. Let them lay low.

pythons007
06-25-2010, 11:54 PM
I like this. Takes the media pressure off Sox. Let them lay low.

Yeah, but its typical Cubs media propaganda which I wish would reflect on the White Sox. They are due their own spotlight, no matter what happens. 10 games is a friggin big deal. But most of the media is drawing toward Zambozo and his usual idiotcy.

I hate the Cubs because of this very thing. The media is only going to be drawn to what the Cubs do because of their fan fair. Even if it's the fair weather type.

Sam Spade
06-26-2010, 12:19 AM
On thrusday night/friday morning Les Grobstein went on a little rant about people at white sox interactive who complain about the cubs getting more coverage than the sox. It was pretty funny. I'm inclined to agree with his criticism right now. Zambrano, who has been a cub for a long time now possibly getting traded after his tirade is a big deal, and a bigger story than the Sox winning. The Sox have been winning for a while now, so 10 games in a row is just not as newsworthy as Zambrano.

mzh
06-26-2010, 12:23 AM
On thrusday night/friday morning Les Grobstein went on a little rant about people at white sox interactive who complain about the cubs getting more coverage than the sox. It was pretty funny. I'm inclined to agree with his criticism right now. Zambrano, who has been a cub for a long time now possibly getting traded after his tirade is a big deal, and a bigger story than the Sox winning. The Sox have been winning for a while now, so 10 games in a row is just not as newsworthy as Zambrano.
What exactly did he say about us people?

Sam Spade
06-26-2010, 12:27 AM
What exactly did he say about us people?

Exactly? I don't want to mix his words. To paraphrase he just said he likes the people here and some of them are his friends, but sometimes they can be whiners when it comes to cubs vs sox media coverage.

Slappy
06-26-2010, 12:27 AM
Who the hell is Les Grobstein?

GoGoCrede
06-26-2010, 12:28 AM
Exactly? I don't want to mix his words. To paraphrase he just said he likes the people here and some of them are his friends, but sometimes they can be whiners when it comes to cubs vs sox media coverage.

Haha. He's not entirely wrong about that. I love it when people in the media read WSI.

Sam Spade
06-26-2010, 12:31 AM
A chicago sports broadcaster. He is currently the host of 670 the score's overnight show.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=2336

Noneck
06-26-2010, 02:03 AM
Haha. He's not entirely wrong about that. I love it when people in the media read WSI.

Grobber just as Rongey, actually post here and give this board recognition (good and bad).

I am sure others use this board to their advantage without any mention of it.

harwar
06-26-2010, 07:07 AM
On June 8 the Sox fell to 9 games under .500, blowing a 2-0 lead in the 5th inning and getting crushed by the Tigers 7-2. Kenny Williams promised that "changes will be made." Nobody knew exactly what that meant. Trades? Demotions? Waiver wire? Ozzie in jeopardy?

It turns out the only thing that changed was the attitude and performance of the existing Sox. Since KW's rant the Sox have gone 14-1. The pitching is as dominant as it was supposed to be in April. The hitting has started to come around - especially TCQ. And then there's the fielding; the Sox have made one error in the last 10 games.

I laughed at Bob Brenly's suggestion that Zambrano's blowup would give life to the Cubs and maybe turn their season around. But strangely, emotional moments like that - a player blowup, a major threat from the GM, a critical injury - can turn a team around. I could care less if the Cubs turn around. But I do know that the Sox faced a similar situation as the Cubs just two weeks ago. Listless, pathetic and underperforming at every level.

And now we're 1.5 out of first.

Once again Kenny Williams knows how to field - and inspire - a winner.

Yea, they did seem to be a different team right after that .. i can't say how proud i am of them for not giving up .. venturing into the world of NL baseball was a godsend at that point also .. we have a nice history of ravaging those teams from the other league (whoever they may be) .. i just think that it was the kick-start that we needed to get going and start to win some games .. after you win a few, your attitude changes and you expect to win .. it's been fun to watch the White Sox move through the NL like sherman marching to the sea .. now they have to maintain that mindset, as we go forth on to the next threat and the next and the next...

HomeFish
06-26-2010, 07:12 AM

A WSI poster who has a radio show.

hawkjt
06-26-2010, 08:41 AM
I agree that the weirdest occurences can sometime seem to turn a team around. The 2000 fight with the Tigers. The return of a light-hitting Joe Crede from a finger injury in Sept,2005. Ozzies shot at Greg Walker in 2008...

And I also hope that the Cubs do not rally around DLee and Lou.
At least not til next week. I am leery of these emotional moments in a season.
Silva has been lites-out all season. Freddie has been good,but does give up 3 runs usually...tonite will be tough. Silva has a gimpy hammy,so maybe Juan and Omar should bunt him into submission early.
As for Les...he's cool with me. And yes, he is right about the obsession with the media around here...who really cares? Just win,baby.